WA WA - Seraya Aung Harmon, 2, Pullman, 29 May 2024 *father and daughter went on a fishing trip in Montana but did not return* #2

The Aungs' story is that in response to SH's extreme texts about the child's condition they consulted the ER doctor. They claim they were told the child had ordinary toddler/childhood constipation to be handled with prune juice and other fluids.
BBM
Could the emergency room doctor release that information about Seraya’s condition to the Aungs? Wouldn’t the HIPAA privacy rules prevent that, unless they had been listed in Seraya’s records as entitled to that information? They may well have been, but otherwise no doctor is going to give them any information about Seraya.

MOO I suspect that the doctor was not overly concerned with Seraya’s constipation and gave normal instructions. But he probably mentioned that if these methods didn’t work in a certain amount of time, to bring her back in order to prevent the worst case scenario, sepsis. I really don’t think she would have been released if it were that serious. Seraya’s Mom took that and ran with it in her desperation to raise the urgency level of Seraya’s disappearance. I don’t blame her. I don’t recall that she ever said that Seraya’s constipation was at that serious level already, but I could be mistaken. JMO

BBM
Could the emergency room doctor release that information about Seraya’s condition to the Aungs? Wouldn’t the HIPAA privacy rules prevent that, unless they had been listed in Seraya’s records as entitled to that information? They may well have been, but otherwise no doctor is going to give them any information about Seraya.

MOO I suspect that the doctor was not overly concerned with Seraya’s constipation and gave normal instructions. But he probably mentioned that if these methods didn’t work in a certain amount of time, to bring her back in order to prevent the worst case scenario, sepsis. I really don’t think she would have been released if it were that serious. Seraya’s Mom took that and ran with it in her desperation to raise the urgency level of Seraya’s disappearance. I don’t blame her. I don’t recall that she ever said that Seraya’s constipation was at that serious level already, but I could be mistaken. JMO
If AA has shared custody he could have gotten the ER medical information I'm pretty sure. That's a big part of what true shared custody involves-- the right to make medical decisions and have access medical information. So I don't see HIPAA playing a role to block his access. And if he had access, I'm pretty sure he could give permission for a doctor to speak with his parents. Extended family are frequently involved in child care and may be present when a child is treated in various settings. Parents can allow access.

I doubt the constipation was as serious as the mother said it was either. But the initial comment I was responding to suggested the Aungs exaggerated SH's concerns. They may have changed her words. There's no way to know right now anyway. But SH has gone on the record with the quote I provided that surely seemed to suggest the child could die from her current condition. If it wasn't that serious and was ordinary childhood constipation, AA could have easily been told by the ER doc to push fluids and prune juice. Perhaps the doctor did say what you suggest but that's not what the mother said he said. So we don't really know what SH was told. I know I find it impossible to believe he said the child was on the verge of sepsis but to go home and carry on. MOO

If you bring in a child to the ER, even if you do NOT have an ID, depending on the condition of the child, in MANY cases there will be a Social Worker or a Nurse Case Manager, there to just check what's going on. If the story makes sense.

"We’re from Idaho and traveling and I'm not the bio mom, this is my fiancé and this is his daughter" is going to definitely ring some bells and IDs will be checked of the adults.

It's just a matter of time they'll be caught in their ridiculously poorly thought up escapade. Tick, tock....

does it work that way in Mexico though?

I do want the child to be found, of course. But I have mixed feelings about the couple being caught in an ER. While a group from all over is following the case on WS, I'm not sure how much national attention it's actually getting. But if they got caught at an ER and there were to be lots of publicity, I'd be worried it could cause more people to be reluctant to visit an ER with a child under all kinds of "iffy" circumstances. And I'm not sure that would be a good thing in the long run. I'm afraid too often fear of caretaker blame already results in delayed treatment for children as it is.
MOO
BBM

I think this is true. People in other states who don't follow WS will have no knowledge of this story, and AA could hand over his information (ID, insurance card), and no one would be the wiser. The hospital/clinic would treat Seraya, and the trio would be on their way.

I don't think ERs are somehow linked to police databases of missing persons.

But, I could be wrong...

I am of the minority that think there is absolutely no way they are in Mexico (Language? Money? Long term lodging?), so I haven't given that a thought.

Even including the (ruse??) data about Montana...I really felt Canada was a much better escape plan. An Asian man, and blond American would be ever so normal there.
I do hope some of our Canadian folks will add comments tho.

Even including the (ruse??) data about Montana...I really felt Canada was a much better escape plan. An Asian man, and blond American would be ever so normal there.
I do hope some of our Canadian folks will add comments tho.
As I've previously stated, all 3 would require passports to enter Canada.
It's not like it once was where folks just "fled to Canada" for whatever reason.
I've never been to Mexico so I don't know what's considered normal there, but in my part of Canada, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see an Asian man and a blonde woman together.

Although, if I had to guess I'd say they're close to (his) home, somewhere around Moscow.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CosDog
Back