WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only that, but in the case files posted on scribd, a lot of innocent, unsuspecting people now have their names, DOB, driver's license numbers, addresses and phone numbers posted online. The one lady in Meridian, ID also has the record hat she was placed on 24 hour mental hold posted for the world to see, just because someone she knew happened to have the last name of "Stevick."

I have not seen or heard about this before - and driver's license numbers, especially, are not supposed to be online. Do you have a link to a source that mentions that it happened?

It's probably nothing, but wouldn't you accumulate that much change (the one cent coins) from buying quite a few items? For example, say, the newspaper was $0.90, the cashier would give you two five cents or a ten cent back from a dollar, not ten one cent coins. To have all those one cent coins could indicate he had purchased quite a few items (food? drink? bus ticket?) either during that weekend or beforehand. That amount of change builds up over time, perhaps he was traveling for a while before he got to the motel.

Looks like 15 pennies. We have a nasty habit in America of things being priced a penny over or a penny under 5 and 10 cent increments. Just purchasing a bag of chips then a pop later in the day could easily generate 8 pennies in change. Even for his room for one night wasn't a simple, even dollar amount. It was $43.87. Not $43.90 or $43.85. Nope, not in America. It's $43.87. He had purchased toothpaste, a toothbrush, a drink of some kind, possibly an ink pen, paid for the first night of his room, possibly one or two newspapers ... well, you get the idea. Your question did trigger a thought for me, though. This change is all U.S. Not one Canadian coin in the bunch.

I have not seen or heard about this before - and driver's license numbers, especially, are not supposed to be online. Do you have a link to a source that mentions that it happened?

It was the case files link that one of you posted: http://www.scribd.com/doc/264638650/Lyle-Stevik-1 Look at where they list people who need to be checked to see if they know Lyle. They did redact SSNs, but that is the only thing they redacted. The lady I mentioned is listed as having a trespassing charge on the property of a Stevick in Idaho and, prior to that, she was placed on a 24 hour mental hold.

Not only that, but in the case files posted on scribd, a lot of innocent, unsuspecting people now have their names, DOB, driver's license numbers, addresses and phone numbers posted online. The one lady in Meridian, ID also has the record hat she was placed on 24 hour mental hold posted for the world to see, just because someone she knew happened to have the last name of "Stevick."

I saw that too. Should have blacked out some personal info on the scans before uploading them...

Anyway, I agree with the other posters, to me he looks Native American and like in his 20s. His face, his body, the way he's dressed, all looks like a guy in his 20s to me. Definitely younger than 30. What a poor soul...He looks kind of peaceful to me though.

See, I thought he looked older. I thought he definitely looked in his 30s to me. The eldest of my sons is 30 so I used them as a reference point and he looks older than both of them. The pictures really do show just how deep his chin is clefted, don't they?

I should have kept scrolling down when I first looked at that...well, if the car(probably) had nothing to do with the investigation, then these people and their DL#s certainly didn't.

I don't know if it's actually illegal to have that sort of personal information online, but it's definitely unethical.

Of course, this was probably never intended to be put online in the first place.

It's entirely possible that Lyle was a kid just out of high school, on his own for the first time(therefore still seeming to have been well-cared-for), who ran away to commit suicide because he was overwhelmed.

I think he looks like he's in his thirties, but your comment brought something to mind. Foster kids who come of age while still in foster care basically get dumped out, for all intents and purposes, with little to no transitional assistance. I've always marveled at the resilience of these kids that a significant number of them didn't resort to suicide. Could this be a possibility for Lyle? Are foster kids routinely fingerprinted in case they come up missing while in the foster care program?

And mine. Since we're discussing Lyle's age and appearance, it's the only logical explanation. Except our subject is nowhere near 50 or 30 for that matter.

That's what I thought, too. There must be some keywords in here it's going off of.

I think Carl's composite makes Lyle look older, because it adds the "effects of gravity" to his lower face. He does seem to be in his 30s in that picture.

I think he looks like he's in his thirties, but your comment brought something to mind. Foster kids who come of age while still in foster care basically get dumped out, for all intents and purposes, with little to no transitional assistance. I've always marveled at the resilience of these kids that a significant number of them didn't resort to suicide. Could this be a possibility for Lyle? Are foster kids routinely fingerprinted in case they come up missing while in the foster care program?

That theory could explain why nobody came forward to claim him(how would they have known to?)...someone mentioned him keeping his toothbrush in its packaging even after several days, so it could be that he was used to "keeping his things to himself" in the sort of environment in which several other foster kids were scrambling around(or one which wasn't very clean).

I have no idea, though, if foster kids get fingerprinted.

I've seen that surname spelled several ways, including with a "b" in place of the "v"...I think they're all the same surname, at least.

I did look into the surname. It would appear to be Scandinavian in origin. I found it spelled "Stevik," as Lyle spelled it, in Norway. Meathead's "Stivic" was Polish. I also believe they are all variants of the same original surname. Three of my ancestral surnames, "Perrow," "Threlkeld," and "Givaudan", have more variants than you can shake a stick at but they all came from the same surnames.

I did look into the surname. It would appear to be Scandinavian in origin. I found it spelled "Stevik," as Lyle spelled it, in Norway. Meathead's "Stivic" was Polish. I also believe they are all variants of the same original surname. Three of my ancestral surnames, "Perrow," "Threlkeld," and "Givaudan", have more variants than you can shake a stick at but they all came from the same surnames.

If he was of Scandinavian descent, it would explain his bone structure(to some extent), and certainly his height...and Germanic languages do tend to eliminate the letter "c" from names/words.

I went through all the case files that were posted on the Scribd link. I haven't come across lab results other than the acknowledgement that the DNA came back and was entered into CODIS. Three things I was looking for specifically were 1.) What did the DNA reveal about his ancestry? 2.) What did the toxicology screen turn up? and 3.) Did they do any labs that would reveal evidence of active disease/disorders (such as AIDS, diabetes, etc) or damage from past drug use if he was not currently using? Has anyone come across any lab results from the autopsy posted online somewhere? My gut feeling is that finding out why he lost that much weight is the key to at least figuring out the "why" of his suicide, if not the "who" it was that took their own life.

His chosen method of suicide was pretty horrendous, especially given the fact that the rod in the closet was so low that he basically had to will himself to stay in position to follow through with it. As bad as hanging oneself is, he didn't seem to make any effort to make the process easier by going into the woods and doing it from a tree branch high enough that his feet cleared the ground at least or even buying some booze to dull his mind in preparation for what he was about to do. It really makes me think that ending his life was almost secondary to punishing himself to atone for something in the process. Did he blame himself for the loss of a loved one, perhaps? If he was HIV positive (the weight loss) did he find out too late to keep from passing it to someone he loved? Did drug or alcohol abuse prevent him from protecting a loved one he was responsible for from harm (such as a child)? Did a loved one commit suicide because of being distraught over some behavior that Lyle was engaged in? Suicides often do run in families. These are some of the things that keep popping up in my head as I mull over this case.

I went through all the case files that were posted on the Scribd link. I haven't come across lab results other than the acknowledgement that the DNA came back and was entered into CODIS. Three things I was looking for specifically were 1.) What did the DNA reveal about his ancestry? 2.) What did the toxicology screen turn up? and 3.) Did they do any labs that would reveal evidence of active disease/disorders (such as AIDS, diabetes, etc) or damage from past drug use if he was not currently using? Has anyone come across any lab results from the autopsy posted online somewhere? My gut feeling is that finding out why he lost that much weight is the key to at least figuring out the "why" of his suicide, if not the "who" it was that took their own life.

His chosen method of suicide was pretty horrendous, especially given the fact that the rod in the closet was so low that he basically had to will himself to stay in position to follow through with it. As bad as hanging oneself is, he didn't seem to make any effort to make the process easier by going into the woods and doing it from a tree branch high enough that his feet cleared the ground at least or even buying some booze to dull his mind in preparation for what he was about to do. It really makes me think that ending his life was almost secondary to punishing himself to atone for something in the process. Did he blame himself for the loss of a loved one, perhaps? If he was HIV positive (the weight loss) did he find out too late to keep from passing it to someone he loved? Did drug or alcohol abuse prevent him from protecting a loved one he was responsible for from harm (such as a child)? Did a loved one commit suicide because of being distraught over some behavior that Lyle was engaged in? Suicides often do run in families. These are some of the things that keep popping up in my head as I mull over this case.

I can't find any information anywhere about whether or not they did an HIV test.

My theory for why he didn't choose a more merciful, "humane" method for his suicide is that maybe he did try those first, but failed.

The washcloth under the belt suggests he did want to be comfortable, and that makes me think his reasons weren't about feelings of guilt or of wanting to punish himself. He just wanted whatever he was going through to be over.

The location must have had a special meaning to him...one that gave him comfort in his last moments that he couldn't have been able to find in a more "typical" location(such as his own home, the woods, his car, the ocean, etc.).

I've heard that no signs of disease or physical damage were found, whatever tests they ran.

Alcohol may have been against his religious beliefs.

Could he maybe have lost all the weight because he'd originally tried to commit suicide using a dosage-based method such as swallowing a bottle of pills, but didn't die from it - and thought losing weight would "help" him to be successful the next time he tried?

Presumably, he started out at a weight close to healthy for his height...losing so much in a short period of time would almost have to have been something he did on purpose(as opposed to it being as a consequence of depression and/or poor digestion, etc.).

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but insulin dependent diabetes can cause a pretty drastic weight loss if there is not enough insulin supplementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9