WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very possible. Also interesting how the records were denied. If there is an ongoing investigation, that would make it understandable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tried to order records for Harlem NY 1st force recon tat marine John Doe via FOIA. It was denied due to HIPPA because the deceased can't authorize the records released nor can his family.

I think FOIA requests were new to Gray's County, they never thought someone would order Lyle's files and when they were released, put on the internet his ME and LE got upset. They let it be known that nothing else would get out. The original person was supposed to get a 2nd batch of files, they never got it.

Two different cases (Andrea Doe and an unidentified man in Reno) announced identifications today based on cold hits on fingerprints that have apparently been recently added to AFIS. So maybe there could be new news on that front after all.

ETA: this is the information from Washoe JD's article:

“The FBI’s recent NamUs system has added additional resources so new hits, or information, are being obtained on old cases despite having run the fingerprints through the system previously,” says Dr. Knight. “Medical examiners and coroners across the U.S. are obtaining identification on individuals from unidentified cold cases from 10, 20, or more years ago. This allows those cases to finally be closed, and those individuals to finally be laid to rest.”

http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/...uckee-River-in-2008-identified-421916053.html

Glad to see he was ID'd!

I think NamUs is doing what they can to prove their worth after losing federal funding for DNA testing.
There was an email campaign last year to try to reverse the ruling but nothing came of it. I caught a post by Todd Matthews a few weeks ago where he's trying to get the emails going again. I personally am thankful someone finally started scanning prints in and changing how they were run. Had they not, we wouldn't have had the recent ID's

I'm a bit done with NamUs because some of their RSA's are not "professional". They ignore emails, sometimes they will initially answer then stop. NamUs's claim to fame is that it is public friendly but their RSA's actions say otherwise

I tried to order records for Harlem NY 1st force recon tat marine John Doe via FOIA. It was denied due to HIPPA because the deceased can't authorize the records released nor can his family.

I think FOIA requests were new to Gray's County, they never thought someone would order Lyle's files and when they were released, put on the internet his ME and LE got upset. They let it be known that nothing else would get out. The original person was supposed to get a 2nd batch of files, they never got it.

Glad to see he was ID'd!

I think NamUs is doing what they can to prove their worth after losing federal funding for DNA testing.
There was an email campaign last year to try to reverse the ruling but nothing came of it. I caught a post by Todd Matthews a few weeks ago where he's trying to get the emails going again. I personally am thankful someone finally started scanning prints in and changing how they were run. Had they not, we wouldn't have had the recent ID's

I'm a bit done with NamUs because some of their RSA's are not "professional". They ignore emails, sometimes they will initially answer then stop. NamUs's claim to fame is that it is public friendly but their RSA's actions say otherwise

I've run into that. Lori Bruski and Dustin Driscoll are by far the best I've interacted with.
Aren't the RSA volunteers, though?

I've run into that. Lori Bruski and Dustin Driscoll are by far the best I've interacted with.
Aren't the RSA volunteers, though?
At least some of them are, and they're overwhelmed with submissions, most of which are either repetitions of the same few high profile casees or obvious ruleouts. Or so I was told off the record.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

At least some of them are, and they're overwhelmed with submissions, most of which are either repetitions of the same few high profile casees or obvious ruleouts. Or so I was told off the record.

I thought the main RSA's were paid with federal funding. By main I mean Dustin, Lori, Pam, Carrie; to name a few off the top of my head

I thought the main RSA's were paid with federal funding. By main I mean Dustin, Lori, Pam, Carrie; to name a few off the top of my head
Yeah, the main ones are. The person I talked to is a volunteer who works with one of the paid people.

Yeah, the main ones are. The person I talked to is a volunteer who works with one of the paid people.

You know I've been on a quest the last few years to get DNA added as well as what ever else I can such as making sure info is correct like one Jane Doe who's shoe size says 8 1/2 on NamUs and 6 1/2 on Doe Net.

I've sent good leads for family members to obtain a DNA sample but received no reply indicating thanks, I'll look into it or whatever. I can understand if I emailed them all the time with common potential matches to a lot of cases but I do not.

One that really made me mad was an MP case I've been trying to get a family sample for the last 2 or 3 years. The gal's sibling recently passed, her mother is very elderly (90's), the only person left besides the mother is the MP's brothers daughter who NamUs really didn't want. The daughter contacted me on FB to say her grandma was on her death bed, I emailed NamUs to let them know how dire it was, the case worker forwarded the email to another case worker that was recently put in charge of the case, I never heard a thing. Then my health tanked. I checked my sent emails to bring up the NamUs case to see if it ever got taken, it did not

You know I've been on a quest the last few years to get DNA added as well as what ever else I can such as making sure info is correct like one Jane Doe who's shoe size says 8 1/2 on NamUs and 6 1/2 on Doe Net.

I've sent good leads for family members to obtain a DNA sample but received no reply indicating thanks, I'll look into it or whatever. I can understand if I emailed them all the time with common potential matches to a lot of cases but I do not.

One that really made me mad was an MP case I've been trying to get a family sample for the last 2 or 3 years. The gal's sibling recently passed, her mother is very elderly (90's), the only person left besides the mother is the MP's brothers daughter who NamUs really didn't want. The daughter contacted me on FB to say her grandma was on her death bed, I emailed NamUs to let them know how dire it was, the case worker forwarded the email to another case worker that was recently put in charge of the case, I never heard a thing. Then my health tanked. I checked my sent emails to bring up the NamUs case to see if it ever got taken, it did not

Have you mentioned this to Todd Matthews? I would, if you haven't already. You have a valid concern. You're providing them with more than just potential matches, but tracking down family members to give DNA samples.

Have you mentioned this to Todd Matthews? I would, if you haven't already. You have a valid concern. You're providing them with more than just potential matches, but tracking down family members to give DNA samples.

Normally I would, she was actually his case; but today was the 1st I've thought of it since last summer when she was in bad shape. I will when I'm in better shape.

I stumbled across Farid too while looking through missing persons and am reading through all the posts now. Did anyone ever check back with this one?

attachment.php

Cannot recall if this mp has already been suggested.

"Farid Perez Ramirez"

http://www.nampn.org/cases/ramirez_farid_perez.html
Sorry my above post was in reference to this

One of the reddit mods is checking on Farid. I noticed him while looking chronologically through cases. I'm now going through geographic areas according to the isotope results. Ran across this guy who has not been mentioned or ruled out. Don't know what he would have been doing for 13 years but...
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hilbert_scott.html

I've followed this case closely and the picture of Farid is the first missing person I've seen posted that really resonated with me, as physically matching Lyle's facial characteristics. I'm blown away.

Please update if you come across anything else that seems to fit! And many thanks to you and all on this thread who are giving their time and energy to run down leads. I'm in the camp that believes there is a great societal good and interest in seeking to identify this man. You guys rock!

I agree, Farid is one of the few possibles we've looked at who makes me think, "Hmm, that could be him."

I've followed this case closely and the picture of Farid is the first missing person I've seen posted that really resonated with me, as physically matching Lyle's facial characteristics. I'm blown away.

Please update if you come across anything else that seems to fit! And many thanks to you and all on this thread who are giving their time and energy to run down leads. I'm in the camp that believes there is a great societal good and interest in seeking to identify this man. You guys rock!

I agree that there is something about his face that is so similar. More angular and less boyish than a lot of the other proposed matches. Something about the mouth and the shape of the chin that strike me very close to our UID.

That said, Charley Project says that he disappeared under suspicious circumstances. Usually I take that to mean, "everyone is pretty sure he's a victim of a crime," but I would be very interested in knowing what led people to believe that he didn't just leave of his own volition. I'm going to do some digging and see what else I can find out about his story.

One of the reddit mods is checking on Farid. I noticed him while looking chronologically through cases. I'm now going through geographic areas according to the isotope results. Ran across this guy who has not been mentioned or ruled out. Don't know what he would have been doing for 13 years but...
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hilbert_scott.html

Any updates on this man or are you aware if the mods were able to compare Farid & Lyle?

Farid does have some resemblance, but we'll see what comes of it.

Frankly, my gut feeling has always been that Lyle won't be found in a missing persons database as I strongly believe that he wasn't reported missing by anyone. If he was, there is no record of it. Moreover, his meticulous planning and anonymity only strengthen my belief that he disappeared in a smooth manner from his previous life to be able to exit life in a way that he had arranged.

But you never know.

Farid does have some resemblance, but we'll see what comes of it.

Frankly, my gut feeling has always been that Lyle won't be found in a missing persons database as I strongly believe that he wasn't reported missing by anyone. If he was, there is no record of it. Moreover, his meticulous planning and anonymity only strengthen my belief that he disappeared in a smooth manner from his previous life to be able to exit life in a way that he had arranged.

But you never know.

Agree, Lyle isn't currently in any database. I think if he has family missing him they don't know how to report him missing or LE refuse to take a report.

Agree, Lyle isn't currently in any database. I think if he has family missing him they don't know how to report him missing or LE refuse to take a report.

I agree, I don't think we'll find Lyle among the currently known missing. I suspect that about a lot of other unidentified cases as well. The last three or so matches made by the new fingerprint technology weren't reported missing, and one of the John Does was found close to home.

I think--no evidence really, just a feeling--that he wrote and mailed a farewell letter saying he was going to kill himself, and they aren't looking for him because they know he's dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member