WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect. I'm sick of defending myself against people who don't know anything about Washington's Public Records Laws and accuse me of acting improperly or unlawfully when I released the documents. For your information, here's the law: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56. Take a look specifically at RCW 42.56.240, as it governs law enforcement records. You can also take a look here: http://www.seattle.gov/police/contact/PublicRequestUnit.htm for an example of exceptional compliance with WA records laws.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I went to your links; at the 2nd link; I do not see anything specific to suicide victims.

Public Records Requests - You may make a walk-in request at the public request unit for:

Incident Reports/Police Reports
9-1-1 Tapes
Accident Reports
Other public disclosure requests

You will be asked to complete a Request for Public Records form as well as a Public Information request for any requests outside of public disclosure

ONLINE POLICE REPORTS - General Offense (GO) Reports in PDF format are available online for all Burglaries, Robberies, Aggravated Assaults and Homicides. These reports are made available to the public in accordance with the Public Records Act (See Revised Code of Washington, RCW 42.56).

Some words were exchanged with the owners (or someone else) and he took it out on M?

Just a thought, if they [the owners] did falsify the registration slip (which is why I now doubt whether or not he actually presented that name and address) wouldn't that get them brought up for faking evidence (if there is even a SoL for that) and lying?

Another thought - if Lyle had belongings that were disposed of by a third party, I would bet that it likely went into a dumpster. In that fashion, it will likely never be recoverable (even for LE) being amongst thousands of disposed garbage bits. And potential evidence can't be proven either.

IIRC CCM said that they did check trash and they felt it was in the water
Compiled info contributed by coldcaseman
According to CCM - Lyle filled out the name/address
You are correct. He filled out the registration and the "for the room" note with his usual handwriting. I believe he wrote out "suicide" in formal block letters to see how it looked. It is like people who shoot themselves will fire two shots, one into the air, and one into themselves. They are getting their courage up, seeing how loud the shot will be, make sure everything is working, etc. You are going to kill yourself, so you write out what you are going to do, to see the word in print. Either that, or I had wondered if he had written a letter to family or friends informing them that he wouldn't be coming home, and he wanted to make sure he spelled suicide correctly. I don't support that theory as much now, as he would have written it in his usual handwriting. Plus, there was no indication that he had envelopes, stamps, and such. The finality of seeing the word in print makes more sense. 09-22-2007
Correct. During suspension hangings, there are involuntary jerks and movement. The internal fight for survival. The belt came up in front of his face, and the slight abrasion probably came from that. I saw a video tape once where a man filmed his own hanging. He put the noose around his neck while standing on the floor, then bent his knees, very much like Lyle did. The body suddenly slumped, and you could tell the man was unconscious, yet for the next minute his arms moved, and his hands struck and brushed up against his face and neck, clumsily trying to grab the noose. The movements diminished, then stopped. The mark on Lyles neck was consistent with a hanging, as opposed to a strangulation, and I doubt a murderer would leave $120 on the nightstand with a note that read "for the room". 02-27-2007
I should add that Lyle was very thin. If he lost weight, it was over a period of time. The skin was not loose or sagging. It's possible he lost the weight due to depression. The pathologist found nothing medically wrong with him. 09-28-2006

I'm sure glad I kept a copy of the case file. It has been awhile, and I was getting some of the facts twisted. I'll give you a timeline, and answer some of your questions. Lyle arrived at the motel on Friday, 9-14 aobut 4:30 PM. Two busses arrived at the location about the same time, and neither driver was sure if he was on board their bus. Lyle paid for one nights stay. The manager described him as polite, but didn't want to talk much. She thought he looked alittle spaced. He might have had a backpack, but the manager wasn't sure. He checked into unit#8 and took a shower. He complained that it was too noisy outside, so he was moved to unit#5. Sat. 9-15 the maid came to the door. He said that he was going to stay alittle longer, didn't need the room cleaned, but could use clean towels. Later in the day, the manager saw him pacing up and down the highway. She thought he was getting some exercise. On Sun 9-16 Lyle purchases the Sunday edition of the Daily World. The maid came by, and he sent her away. On Monday 9-17 in the morning the maid knocked on the door, but received no response. She entered the room and found him praying. He didn't talk to her, and she left. She later told the manager, who entered the room after noon and found that Lyle had hung himself. (for some reason I had recalled that he had been dead longer than that). When I arrived sometime later, rigor mortis was setting in. As for the questions: there was no alcohol or drugs in his system. The coat rack wasn't in an enclosed closet, but rather a small alcove in one corner of the living room. I never closely examined the belt, I'm making arrangements to do that. It is a leather belt with a silver colored buckly and a silver colored belt tip. It has a western look to it. I don't recall seeing any stationary in the room. 09-28-2006

His appendix scar was old 09-27-2006

No chest hair, some hair on legs and arms. Sparse hair on his chin. 09-27-2006

As for the question posed by Scandi concerning the ridge on Lyles forehead that is not visible in the profile shot, I took the profile picture at the beginning of the autopsy. I took the face-on shot at the conclusion, after the skull had been opened. I pulled the scalp back into place in order to take that shot, and didn't see the wrinke of skin on his forehead. His forehead was smooth. 09-27-2006

There was no place to eat at the motel, but there are places nearby. I don't recall anything being in his stomach at the autopsy. There was no wrappers from anything he might have purchased in his trash can. He took whatever change he had in his pocket, and put it in a desk drawer. After he wrote the note "for the room" he put the cap on the pen, and put the pen in his right front pants pocket. Habits. You're not even aware you're doing them 09-27-2006

I could find no callouses on his hands, or scrapes or scars. Fingernails weren't chipped or broken, and no indications of a manicure. No tan lines either. During the time he spent there, he purchased a copy of the local newspaper, and probably some food (although no one recalled seeing him). I located some change in the drawer of the desk in the room. He had paid for one night, but when the maid came by the next day, he told the maid that he was staying a few more days. I think he was finishing up some loose ends, writing a letter, etc. I think he had been dead about 24 hours when we found him 9-27-2006

Totally different train of thought here:
Lyle was so thin. CCM said in earlier threads that the coroner found no disease or other explanations that would explain his weight. How thorough was the autopsy?

Totally different train of thought here:
Lyle was so thin. CCM said in earlier threads that the coroner found no disease or other explanations that would explain his weight. How thorough was the autopsy?

There are so many illnesses that can be missed when only the "vital" organs are examined. I think that's all they usually do; if he had, say, a thigh bone tumor or a mass inside his brain, they may not have found it. If he had a severe deficiency of some sort(which I don't doubt he did have, even if he'd been healthy before the weight loss), I don't know if the usual blood tests would have found it.

I find myself wondering this: What explanation did he give for not having ID? There must have been one, yes? (ie "Oh, I don't have ID because ______" as opposed to "I don't have ID...*blank stare*")

I'm wondering if he got into a fight (the cuts on his hands) and was robbed, and perhaps actually didn't have ID.

And perhaps, if he was trying to get to Canada, getting robbed of his necessary ID prevented him from doing so. And then, for whatever reason, he felt he had no other choice but to...?

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I went to your links; at the 2nd link; I do not see anything specific to suicide victims. The "ONLINE POLICE REPORTS" part is just stuff they put up preemptively to prevent unnecessary requests.

Correct, there's nothing specific to people who have killed themselves. The "Incident Reports/Police Reports" and "Other public disclosure requests" are the categories suicide related requests would fall under. The treatment for requests regarding people who have killed themselves is no different than any other request for police records.

I find myself wondering this: What explanation did he give for not having ID? There must have been one, yes? (ie "Oh, I don't have ID because ______" as opposed to "I don't have ID...*blank stare*")

I'm wondering if he got into a fight (the cuts on his hands) and was robbed, and perhaps actually didn't have ID.

And perhaps, if he was trying to get to Canada, getting robbed of his necessary ID prevented him from doing so. And then, for whatever reason, he felt he had no other choice but to...?
And this would be an excellent question in an interview with the woman at the front desk who allowed him to stay and gave him a key in spite of not having an ID. ;) There are many questions I have for her.

Hyperthyroidism could account for such a weight loss over time and might be hard to detect in an autopsy (not certain of the testing done). But he could have been rail thin normally and those were not his clothes or belt. Stretch marks can be from growing too fast during that spurt into adulthood.

I do wish CCM would come back now and discuss this case with us again. The new info gives us a whole set of questions for him.

Hey...COLDCASEMAN! If you are reading this...COME BACK!!

Hyperthyroidism could account for such a weight loss over time and might be hard to detect in an autopsy (not certain of the testing done). But he could have been rail thin normally and those were not his clothes or belt. Stretch marks can be from growing too fast during that spurt into adulthood.

I do wish CCM would come back now and discuss this case with us again. The new info gives us a whole set of questions for him.

Hey...COLDCASEMAN! If you are reading this...COME BACK!!

Starvation(or even regularly skipping meals) will bring the metabolism down and result in a hypothyroid condition. That, too, will create weight loss, because the person is gradually less and less capable of digesting the food he eats. It would also explain his "spaced out" behavior.

If he was hyperthyroid, and had been for long enough to lose 30 lbs., I'd expect his eyes to start bulging and his lower limbs to start swelling up. His nervousness and pacing could be seen as symptoms of it, though.

To test for either, they usually do a separate thyroid panel - but, CBC and/or metabolic profile(what they probably did on him) can detect some symptoms/effects of either. Whether or not they'd tie those symptoms to a thyroid issue is another thing entirely, though.

Of course, if he actively starved himself, there would be signs in the CBC, too, regardless of thyroid involvement. He'd have low potassium, fewer white blood cells, noticeable loss of heart muscle, etc. Surely, they'd have seen it and commented on it.

It's hard to say what was wrong with him, but it is really hard for me to believe he was healthy, even if they didn't see anything wrong with him during the autopsy. Healthy people don't drop 30 lbs. in a "recent" timeframe. Even people with thyroid problems usually don't, unless they suddenly get a tumor in that area or something.

I still say he went to a thrift store and bought whatever clothes he could afford - maybe before the weight loss, maybe after. The money he was carrying might have been the only money he had left - he drained his bank account and then went to the hotel.

And this would be an excellent question in an interview with the woman at the front desk who allowed him to stay and gave him a key in spite of not having an ID. ;) There are many questions I have for her.

Yes.

Though! If he used a debit/credit card after check-in(at the store, maybe), and he used it for any purpose other than to go to the ATM, he would have had to have ID on him somewhere(even if he didn't show it at the hotel).

The bible was open starting at John 12:33 which reads:

http://biblehub.com/john/12-33.htm

At the above link, you can arrow through all the subsequent verses.
Was John 12:33 the first verse on the opened page? The picture is too blurry for me to see on my phone. CCM said John 12, 13, and 14.
I cannot think of a more comforting passage if I knew I would soon be leaving this world. Jesus foretells his impending death, and shows his complete faith in eternal life. He also speaks of betrayal.
The New Living Translation is easy to understand if you just want to do a quick scan (Lyle may have read this version, I think CCM said a Gideon's version, but that doesn't exist, they often use NLT version).
After reading the verses, I definitely believe Lyle left this bookmark. It is quite prophetic. Many Bible verses could be described as prophetic, but this is a blatant statement (not necessarily to the police, but to Lyle's frame of mind).

Okay, I'm sorry, but why are we discussing Jesus and religion in this thread?

If Lyle bookmarked those passages in the Bible, there could have been some significance to them in his mind, and that should of course be discussed...however, it may offend some posters(Jewish, Muslim, atheist, or those who simply have had bad experiences with Christianity) to see the religious aspects of those passages promoted(that is, described as "prophetic" or "comforting" and read out like a sermon is being given) - in other words, people could read this and get the message that Christianity is the religion of choice for this site.

That's going to tick some people off.

(Note: I, personally, am a Christian. I just don't see the reason to do this in this way.)

If Lyle bookmarked those passages in the Bible, there could have been some significance to them in his mind, and that should of course be discussed...however, it may offend some posters(Jewish, Muslim, atheist, or those who simply have had bad experiences with Christianity) to see the religious aspects of those passages promoted(that is, described as "prophetic" or "comforting" and read out like a sermon is being given) - in other words, people could read this and get the message that Christianity is the religion of choice for this site.

(Note: I, personally, am a Christian. I just don't see the reason to do this in this way.)

Respectfully, perhaps you should flag the mods if you are concerned about this? I see nothing in the TOS stating religion cannot be discussed.

I also see nothing in the ToS about religious discussion; this is why I expressed my opinion here.

It would be unfortunate if someone came to this thread and said, "Well, this UID may be my brother, but my beliefs will directly conflict with those they appear to hold so dear, so I will stay away."

It sounds as if the person it is going to tick off is you. I posted that because it is one aspect of Lyle's case that I have not seen rehashed numerous times.
I did not mean it was prophetic, as in, this is an actual revelation, so y'all get ready. I am not Christian, but if I was going to commit suicide, I would probably find comfort in a passage about something existing after death.
I found the bookmark sad and touching and a little "shivery" in light of the events. It made me think Lyle was looking for comfort and some sort of faith in his last moments.
Maybe others will not see this. I noted the easiest version so others could form their own opinions about a possible connection or message or hint or anything at all. I had no prior knowledge of Bible versions.
If anyone was offended or turned off in any way please let me know and I will personally apologize to you. Tell me why and I will try to understand that and include it in my apology. Post or PM me.
If I broke TOS, I was not aware, actually it didn't even occur to me.

It sounds as if the person it is going to tick off is you. I posted that because it is one aspect of Lyle's case that I have not seen rehashed numerous times.
I did not mean it was prophetic, as in, this is an actual revelation, so y'all get ready. I am not Christian, but if I was going to commit suicide, I would probably find comfort in a passage about something existing after death.
I found the bookmark sad and touching and a little "shivery" in light of the events. It made me think Lyle was looking for comfort and some sort of faith in his last moments.
Maybe others will not see this. I noted the easiest version so others could form their own opinions about a possible connection or message or hint or anything at all. I had no prior knowledge of Bible versions.
If anyone was offended or turned off in any way please let me know and I will personally apologize to you. Tell me why and I will try to understand that and include it in my apology. Post or PM me.
If I broke TOS, I was not aware, actually it didn't even occur to me.

No, I was legitimately worried it might keep someone off this forum - I'm not offended, myself(except maybe if you think something's going to tick me off when I didn't say that). :)

What you are saying makes perfect sense.

Some words were exchanged with the owners (or someone else) and he took it out on M?

Just a thought, if they [the owners] did falsify the registration slip (which is why I now doubt whether or not he actually presented that name and address) wouldn't that get them brought up for faking evidence (if there is even a SoL for that) and lying?

Another thought - if Lyle had belongings that were disposed of by a third party, I would bet that it likely went into a dumpster. In that fashion, it will likely never be recoverable (even for LE) being amongst thousands of disposed garbage bits. And potential evidence can't be proven either.

Chuckles - surely obstruction of justice, if it occurred, would render someone sol.

Chuckles - surely obstruction of justice, if it occurred, would render someone sol.

I'm just trying to figure out why they would have tried to stand in the way of an investigation in the first place. I know it is a prevailing theory that they might have...but, if he(for example) had been participating in illegal activity and they cleaned the room to hide that before LE got there, what would falsifying a registration slip accomplish for them? And/or what would saying he's from Idaho really do to take away from the fact that he is forever linked to their hotel?

Many posters are questioning Lyle's manner of death and the motel owners' potential involvement. I am keeping an open mind, but what evidence supports this theory?
Just because they could have killed Lyle and covered it up, doesn't mean they did. Lots of people could have (fellow guests of the hotel, the maid, etc.). This circumstantial evidence is too weak to cause me to consider the owners (but I may adjust my opinion if new details are released.
Not trying to shoot down anyone's theory ... :)

Certainly a good and valid question Sutton - Imo, LS hung himself - unless someone can point out why it is suspicious. How would one be able to manipulate/coerce someone into the position LS was found and leave a tidy scene? Drugs/alcohol would render someone submissive, however, getting them to stand still and then kneel after tying their belt the was it was found seems unlikely to me - thrashing/dragging would be involved and not leave ones person or clothing untouched. Jmo.

But, after reviewing the photos and case files (giving a visual on the scene) why would a guy dispose of his belongings and ID only to be found deceased in a motel room? We have precedent here (which means zip on a case by case basis) of people leaving a note with a false name and instructions on what to do with their remains after committing suicide. The same people brought belongings with them - clothing, CD player, Christmas tree and defined their right not to be identified.

So I don't get this case. While it might be a one off so to speak, why dispose of a razor, clothing etc and leave a note stating 'Suicide' and nothing else?

Fwiw, I bought into the motel owners story until I saw the case files - too many questions imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
welsh98