Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 42s42 seconds ago
Crown asks if there was any thought at that time that this might be a criminal matter. Nimmo says no. #Millard

I can’t find the source so I’m not stating this as fact but I recall reading that LE initially look to classify sudden deaths to be either accidental or suicide and only if there’s clear evidence of active involvement by an outside party is homicide considered. Maybe it’s because the majority of sudden deaths are caused by accidents or suicide, I don’t know.

I’m just reminded of it regarding this case. Seems because WM was an alcoholic his death was automatically deeemed not suspicious. Notice the resemblance to LBs disappearance, also not considered alarming because of her lifestyle.

So LE were told that there may be up to 4 guns in a safe in the house. The licenced owner is laying deceased. They spend about 10 minutes trying to open the safe and give up. They never try to find/investigate or remove the guns from the house even though the only licenced owner is now deceased.
Based on the tweets, they didn't have a warrant so I’m not sure what more they could do to search. I wonder what DM told them while they were trying to open the safe. IMO DM knew the combination and just felt like watching them try.

Edit: typos

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 11s12 seconds ago
Nimmo says after the coroner arrived, he mentioned the alcoholism possibility, with the blood. The coroner concurred, that can happen sometimes. But he hadn't examined the body himself yet. #Millard

**And there's something that shouldn't be done right there IMO. Why all this telephone tag of information between responding emergency workers? How are they supposed to get an independent view of the situation this way? Why wouldn't the paramedic, responding officer and coroner look at the situation without any outside influence from each other and then get together to go over their findings?

Based on the tweets, they didnt have a warrant so I’m not sure what more they could do to search. I wonder whar DM told them while they were trying to open the save. IMO DM knew the combination and just felt like watching them try.

Yes, of course he knew. He also probably knew there were no guns in it, which is why he started outsourcing to find his own guns. He knew WM had a licence for guns though so that would show up if anyone even bothered to check.

I'm just pondering that situation in all cases of a licenced gun owner passing away and leaving guns in the possession of family members. Is that something that is not dealt with? I guess that's what the gun amnesty days are for? To turn over family members guns that no one bothered to confiscate after their death?

MOO

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Nimmo says he also talked with Burns about funeral arrangements that night -- she said they already knew which funeral home they were planning to use. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
At one point, the coroner told him that he had found a gun, and a gunshot wound to Millard's eye, Nimmo says. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 23s23 seconds ago
"The coroner had located a gun, under the bed tucked away on a bag, tucked away between the bed and a small bedside table," Nimmo says. #Millard

Does anyone else find it odd that the gunshot wound was not immediately obvious to the first people attending the scene?
I guess if WM was lying on his left side, the wound, being to his left eye, was a bit hidden...but still, I would think that the blood from that would be way more significant than the vomit and blood from his mouth that everyone seemed to be focusing on.

So was WM found on his back or on his side? There's conflicting info on what position he was found in. And how could the paramedic note there was no obvious injury? Is it common for there to be a significant amount of blood in the death of a (severe?) alcoholic?

Seems DM said on one occasion he hadn't talked to his dad in days and was worried so he thought he should "check" on him and on another occasion that he happened to see his dad the night before.

Does anyone else find it odd that the gunshot wound was not immediately obvious to the first people attending the scene?
I guess if WM was lying on his left side, the wound, being to his left eye, was a bit hidden...but still, I would think that the blood from that would be way more significant than the vomit and blood from his mouth that everyone seemed to be focusing on.

I think you answered your own question regarding the gunshot wound to the eye. He was lying on the left side so the eye would have been somewhat hidden. All they likely saw was a lot of blood pooled around the face of the deceased. There was also some time between when he died and when DM got around to "finding" him so there were other changes occuring within the body. All reports talk of the darkening or purple colour of the skin and I'd imagine a lot of the blood had been soaked up by the bedding and what was visible was now in a more dried up state.

Makes sense that only the coroner noticed this, likely because he probably was the only one with the authority to move the body? I'm just surprised that the responding officer didn't look around the bed a little more and take note of things lying around and then notice the gun. I believe he was being told about the possibility of guns in the house so why didn't he take a closer look at the scene?

MOO

Seems DM said on one occasion he hadn't talked to his dad in days and was worried so he thought he should "check" on him and on another occasion that he happened to see his dad the night before.

I noticed that too...

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 23h23 hours ago
"He said that he had tried to get a hold of his father for I think for a few days, and he came over because he couldn't get a hold of him. He found him dead and in bed, and called us," Smith says, about Millard. #Millard

Pillay is asking the judge not to consider evidence about any conversation Smith had with Millard, as it's the first he's ever mentioned it. Pillay says the "prejudicial impact" overcomes its "probative value." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1h1 hour ago
Dellen told him in that conversation that he stayed with his father three to four times a week. Burns said she hadn't seen her ex-husband in about a year. They last spoke by email about two weeks prior, he said. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1h1 hour ago
Nimmo says Millard told him at that time he had seen father around noon the day before. He came to the house and found father around 6:30 p.m. on Nov 29. #Millard

Looks like Pillay caught it too and tried to rectify it.

Isn't it interesting that it seems two things happened around the same time, right at the time surrounding WM's demise? Both things may have been sudden eye-openers for DM as to their impending realities, and the resulting effects those could each have on his own life - and the need for him to quickly do something about them?

One being the new, apparently fast-moving, potentially already-intimate relationship that his father was developing with JC - where prior to November, all of their contact was by phone or email.

The other being the issuance of the certification for Millardair's MRO operation, apparently on November 1st, 2012. I'm wondering if, because it seemed it may have been a rather daunting process with a 'coveted' result, DM had never really expected it would be approved? But as soon as it *was* approved - boom!
"When things went over budget, bank loans provided funding for the tools and staff needed to obtain key Transport Canada certification, which came through on November 1, 2012, just before Wayne’s death."
Tim Bosma murder suspect, Dellen Millard made surprising decision to dismantle family business

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 36s37 seconds ago
Nimmo says Millard told him at that time he had seen father around noon the day before. He came to the house and found father around 6:30 p.m. on Nov 29. #Millard

BUT ... DM told the paramedic that it had been a few days since he had been able to reach his father, and that's why he went to the house to check on him.

"William Smith, the paramedic who responded to a call for a cardiac arrest, testified that Wayne Millard was cold to the touch when he entered the bedroom on the night of Nov. 29.

He said Dellen Millard told him that he “tried to get a hold of his father for a few days, came over to the house, found him dead in the bed and called us."
Wayne Millard had made plans to celebrate girlfriend’s birthday days before his death, trial hears | The Star

So was WM found on his back or on his side? There's conflicting info on what position he was found in. And how could the paramedic note there was no obvious injury? Is it common for there to be a significant amount of blood in the death of a (severe?) alcoholic?

Only the paramedic, Smith, stated that WM was lying flat on the bed. He didn't take many notes and didn't have much of a memory of the scene so I'd say he was mistaken. He is also the only one so far to mention vomit.

Smith says Wayne Millard was lying flat on his bed, and had dried blood and vomit coming out of his mouth and nose. His skin colour was dark, and he wasn't breathing, he says. He also had blankets on him. #Millard

Pillay really hammering home here that Smith has little memory of what took place on this call aside from reports that were made -- some done about six months after the incident. #Millard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini