Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that spectators should be kept in a separate viewing room in the courthouse. This way there are no players from "outside" that could be disruptive and/or possibly cause a mistrial.

This guy is a ......... and no stranger to jail. Check out the link above from the Orlando Sentinel.

Glad to hear that he's still in the pokey and hope that he will remain there for his birthday (the 4th of July).

Mathew Bartlet

Allow me to make a few statements here;

- he is NOT a 'boy', he is a 28 year old MAN
- this was NOT some inocent 'prank', he is a SUPPORTER of Casey Anthony
- he commited a SERIOUS offense which also could have caused a mistrial. Think about the implications of THAT.
- he DESERVES all the scorn & hardships that will now come his way by all NORMAL people in society.

It is not ok for decent people to excuse or make light of his behavior, as he is a supporter of a killer. It makes him a demented, wrong thinking person who should be ostracized by all until he seeks mental health treatment & is able to become a productive member of society; people who are 'fans' of killers deserve no sympathy.

Society would be better if people like this were treated harshly by all. There are just too many weirdos like this - & this includes the mentaly ill member of the defense team who married a serial killer after he was found to be a serial killer.

Not sure why you're associating mental illness with these peoples stupidity.

What frustrates me the most about this guy is that there are literally hundreds, probably 1000's of people that would have loved to have his seat. He was able to have a front row seat to justice and decided to disrespect that process and the people who were unable to observe.

That to me is cold hearted.

Thanks for posting this. Interesting bit of background on the Bird Guy. He sounds like a real joy to have around. Deserves every minute of the 6 days and IMO should have gotten more than that. What he did was not cute or amusing.

I agree with the poster above who said that ICA should have gotten in trouble for the birds she has thrown. And maybe for some of the shaking her head in front of the jury, too. I guess there's not much they can do to her since she's already spent 3 years in jail and is looking at a lot more years.

Anyone who attends HHJP's courtroom and is misguided enough to think they can act like they're viewing a rerun of some reality program deserves whatever punishment HHJP chooses to hand out. HHJP's highest priority is to ensure that any defendant's fight for their right to life is not jeopardized by wrongful words or deeds. His vigilance has to include not only the legal statutes but the conduct of the witnesses, the attorneys, the spectators and the jury. He is authorized swift justice as a cure to remain in control of his courtroom. If he were denied that, he would have the responsibility without authority. If we can give him confidence to judge over life and death struggles in court, I feel confident that he will not take advantage of a disrespectful young man who flips the bird for whatever ill begotten reason.

LOL, it cracks me up to think that anyone would criticize HHJP rather than the flipper. moo.

BBM. I think this is probably what inspired him--seeing the trial on the news and online day after day, and thinking of it as some sort of "cool" "tv thing" that he wanted to be part of. He's totally responsible for his own actions. People who act like this will find a forum for it anywhere, and probably did in the distant past and will in the distant future. But with this whole 24-7 news cycle, I think the line between real, serious business like a capitol murder trial, and reality TV has become blurred for some people who are less than intelligent. Everything's on TV and online, and people like this guy think they should be too. He didn't grasp that there's a difference between a courtroom and a bar.

Amen Turnadot.

It's easy - it's simple. It's called Contempt of Court, and has been on the books since the dawn of time ;)

Contempt of court is a charge which can be laid against someone for interrupting the process of justice in a court of law. A charge of contempt, if proved, can result in fines and jail time. Many people are familiar with the concept of contempt of court, since it tends to come up in courtroom dramas.

Many people think COC relates only to the players, but it doesn't.

What the bird fellow was charged with was Civil Contempt.

Civil contempt of court involves a failure to obey an order from a court. It can be purged by obeying the order. For example, someone may speak out of turn in a courtroom during trial proceedings, disrespecting the basic rules of the courtroom.

I'm sure there's a real lawyer on here that can confirm this and not rely on me (who only pretends to be a lawyer on the internet) LOL.

MOO

Mel

Wouldn't you hate to be this guy's mother. I have 2 sons in their 20's. I would be mortified

"Records show Thursday was not Bartlett's first visit to the Orange County Jail. The native Texan was booked just more than a year earlier, records show, on a domestic violence charge.

That arrest stemmed from an incident at the home where Bartlett lives with his parents, an arrest report states, on June 22, 2010. Deputies were called to the Ridgeway Drive home about 3:30 p.m.

An arrest report states that Bartlett and his girlfriend had gotten into a violent argument with other family members. It was not clear in Sheriff's Office documents what led to the fight.

Reports state that Bartlett locked himself in a room at the home, shouted profanity laced threats and later attacked his father when the elder Bartlett broke through the door.

Bartlett and his girlfriend were arrested in the incident. Online court records show he was not prosecuted, and the case has been closed. The circumstances were not clear."

I guess that expl;ains why his mom said she didn't want todo an interview and hadn't seen him in a year. Glad HHJP made him take responsibility for his actions this time. Apparently the parents didn't do the same in the previous incident.

360106700-18084353.jpg

Cute. :rocker:

Seriously though--what an awful irony it will be if that boy gets sentenced to more jail time because he lied to the same judge who has presided over a courtroom where witnesses like the Anthonys, have been lying outrageously, shamelessly, and with complete immunity so far. KWIM?

Don't get me wrong--if that young man did tell a bald faced lie about his past to the judge this morning, he deserves to spend time in jail for it--but not if he's the only liar who is going to be punished for lying in that courtroom.

Above message included here for clarity of discussion. (Snipped and bolded by me, Friday)

Well, there is a huge difference between him and the Anthonys. They are victims and have a direct emotional loss. Anyone that is not directly emotionally involved in this case on a personal basis, who can go into a courtroom and have such a loss of respect and composure is weird, and makes me thankful there are guards and metal detectors.

My message was referring solely to the matter of his lying to the court about not having a police record--if in fact, he turned out to be the same Matthew Bartlett whose mug shot was being shown and discussed elsewhere in this thread. If he had lied to the judge about his past record, some WSs were pondering whether he'd get more jail time when HHJP found out.

My opinion was that if he had lied to JBP that, he deserved to have his jail sentence lengthened, but that it would be a gross injustice to sentence him to more jail time for lying when--in that same courtroom, in front of that same judge--the Anthonys have been flagrantly lying without a word of rebuke or threat of punishment.

With respect to whether someone should be punished for lying to the court, I disagree that there's a "huge difference" between the rights of Matthew Bartlett and the Anthonys. The huge difference that does exist is that if Matthew Barrett lied, he harmed no one but himself with his lie; however, the Anthonys have made a public mockery out of the fundamental trial law which requires us to take a solemn oath and testify truthfully---or suffer the penalties of perjury.

Cindy has done her part in turning that into an even bigger farce by raising her right hand and answering not just "Yes," to her oath to tell the truth, but "So help me God, yes." Then she sits down and lies and lies. And lies.

She could have protected her daughter so much better by telling the truth about about their fights, about all the ugly, hurtful things she did and said to Casey. She could have admitted (penitently) to being more concerned about appearances than reality and to (inadvertently) teaching KC to be the same way. But those truths would have damaged CA's public image, and that is one thing CA will not do to save the life of her only daughter.

I've veered off topic. Sorry.

One important thing to add here and that is that "our" Matthew Bartlett is not the same MB who is a felon.

From a Today Show Interview in October 2008 at 4:41
look at the first person you see when they cut to file footage of protesters.
watch

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKahAxuxjM8&feature=player_detailpage#t=282s"]YouTube - ‪The Anthony's on the Today show 10/22‬‏[/ame]

Thanks for posting this. Interesting bit of background on the Bird Guy. He sounds like a real joy to have around. Deserves every minute of the 6 days and IMO should have gotten more than that. What he did was not cute or amusing.

I agree with the poster above who said that ICA should have gotten in trouble for the birds she has thrown. And maybe for some of the shaking her head in front of the jury, too. I guess there's not much they can do to her since she's already spent 3 years in jail and is looking at a lot more years.

I get miffed at ICA's self testimony from the defense table - absolutely should not have been allowed. I hope the jury takes all that nonsense in consideration! After all, she had the opportunity to shake her head all she wanted on the witness stand.

As for bird-man (if we're allowed to call him that). He not only showed much disrespect in JBP's courtroom, he lied as well (when asked if he'd ever been charged/convicted of a felony or misd).

Records show Thursday was not Bartlett's first visit to the Orange County Jail. The native Texan was booked just more than a year earlier, records show, on a domestic violence charge.

Happy Birthday/4th of July dude!

MOO

Mel

I guess that expl;ains why his mom said she didn't want todo an interview and hadn't seen him in a year. Glad HHJP made him take responsibility for his actions this time. Apparently the parents didn't do the same in the previous incident.

360106700-18084353.jpg

Oh, but I think they did. He's been kicked out of the nest and not talked to since then by his parents. At least they didn't enable him like ICA parents did over and over again (would you like another check dear? How about a credit card? No worries, I'll just pull all my money out of my 401K to cover your extensive spending habits).

Matthew is paying the price for his antics -- something ICA never had to do. I think will teach him a lesson....I hope.

MOO

Mel

The guy is a KC lover IMOP. He deserved what he got. I'd feel the same way if he had of flipped the bird to defence. The judge can't allow that kind of behavior in a court of law.

Not sure why you're associating mental illness with these peoples stupidity.

If you're of the opinion that these people who admire and/or fall in love with murderers & serial killers after the fact don't have a mental illness . . . then I wouldn't even know where to start . . .

After reading some of these posts it makes more sense. He probably did what most Americans do, talked too much, tried to be too cooperative after getting busted. Instead of playing hardball legally.

Or, he could have just followed the rules to begin with and he wouldn't be spending his birthday in jail. Playing legal hardball would have made no difference, he was caught on tape disobeying verbal & written instructions from the court. No doubt he was clueless as to how serious his actions were, since he obviously thought he could get a slap on the wrist by apologizing for it. Bottom line is, had even one juror seen what Bartlett did, Judge Perry would likely have had to declare a mistrial. Given this trial has already cost the FL taxpayers over a million bucks, Barlett should consider himself lucky to get off with six days in the slammer & $600 in fines.

If you're of the opinion that these people who admire and/or fall in love with murderers & serial killers after the fact don't have a mental illness . . . then I wouldn't even know where to start . . .

I believe it's probably a little of both.

Regarding what I bolded above, he said he was able to pay the fine right now, implying in full.

He said he could pay the $600+ immediately, yet also said he only had $172 in his bank accounts.

My guess is that this was a bet made with several friends. Once they pay up, he would have the money.

While it's true that Casey "hired" Jose Baez to represent her early in the case, she was later declared indigent, and Mr. Baez became her court-appointed attorney. He is now being compensated by the State of Florida, but did receive remuneration from Ms. Anthony when he was originally retained.

JB is NOT being paid by the state. He is not a public defender. Her team is all working pro bono. The state does pay expenses for such things as expert witnesses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back