Who made up the defense's explanation in opening statements? *POLL*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Who came up with the "GA" did it defense?

• JB e.t. al., made it up

Votes: 168 40.4%
  • It's what ICA told JB happened

Votes: 220 52.9%
  • They got it from an old episode of Star Trek

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • And of course the famous, "None of the above!"

Votes: 22 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On one of the shows I watched last night a person alluded to the fact that attorneys were reading on line to try and get the opinon of viewers so they could plan their ongoing strategies. If this is true and I don't doubt it, I would like to say "Take a plea and end this charade". So many lives are being destroyed through all this folly. Opening statement by DT was a joke. jmo

I think it's Baez and ICA, all the way...

ICA laid the foundation and Baez thinks he delivered it in a believable fashion.

It never occurred to either of them that normal people dont' see any logic in it. only pathological liars and blowhards think this is a reasonable explanation.

who covers an accident up by mimicing a murder... in three years this is the best they could come up with? really?

ICA has been out of general society long enough she's losing her read on people and her edge... Baez is a smitten fool if he thinks following her lead makes for a believable opening statement.

I cant count how many times I have thought these two deserve each other... its a shame it took Caylees death to bring them together.... and that Baez is already married... they're perfect for each other... its just no one else can stand either one of them.

added: of course if Baez loses the case and she gets the needle, eventaully he will be able to relax and not worry about her coming after him legally... that's one way to escape her... get her a death sentence. (maybe he isn't so stupid....)

I think the bulk of the story was cooked up by ICA, and JB added a little hot sauce to it before he served it up to the jury. What bothers me though is this: IF ICA and JB colluded on this new version of their truth, then JB at least knows that some of it is either untrue or is at the very least questionable. As an officer of the court, he would not be able to put ICA on the stand to tell any tale that he knows may suborn perjury, yet he can, as her defense attorney, present it in her defense if it is what she insists he do. Now that's messed up!

I think it was "made up" by Jose with a little input from ICA. They/Baez thinks he can produce enough smoke and mirrors to confuse the jury. IMO, there was NO sexual abuse by George or Lee. Just more of ICA's rubbish and lies.

For JB to even go there is just WRONG.

ICA laid the foundation and Baez thinks he delivered it in a believable fashion.

It never occurred to either of them that normal people dont' see any logic in it. only pathological liars and blowhards think this is a reasonable explanation.

who covers an accident up by mimicing a murder... in three years this is the best they could come up with? really?

ICA has been out of general society long enough she's losing her read on people and her edge... Baez is a smitten fool if he thinks following her lead makes for a believable opening statement.

I cant count how many times I have thought these two deserve each other... its a shame it took Caylees death to bring them together.... and that Baez is already married... they're perfect for each other... its just no one else can stand either one of them.

added: of course if Baez loses the case and she gets the needle, eventaully he will be able to relax and not worry about her coming after him legally... that's one way to escape her... get her a death sentence. (maybe he isn't so stupid....)

BBM

:spit:

I voted none of the above...because I believe that JB got the idea from some crime novels and from ICA over zealous imagination.

As I stated up thread, I think this is the basic story KC gave JB and over the course of the past three years it's undergone some embellishment.

But the bigger question here is that JB has put forth this scenario as the truth in his opening statement. How in the heck is he going to tie this all together into a believable explanation for what happened - something the jury could accept as a logical and reasonable explanation for what happened to Caylee? The jury will be weighing what they've heard from the state and what they've heard from the defense that will help them determine KC's guilt or non-guilt. How does JB think he can make a persuasive argument based on his opening statement?

We've watched JB's cross examination of witnesses and have gotten some subtle clues as to where JB is going with all this.

When he cross examined Cindy he played a portion of the third 911 call in which you can hear that Cindy is talking to someone else while waiting for KC to take the phone. It's obvious that GA has just arrived home and is still some distance from the house as Cindy is yelling out to him (paraphraised)........."Caylee is gone the babysitter took her a month ago - I just called them." JB insinuated that because you don't hear George yelling and in a panic, it's because he knows that Caylee is gone - dead.

When JB cross examined Yuri Melich, he asked Yuri about everyone's demeanor on the night of July 15th and made specific mention that George's demeanor was calm. He made it clear that George's calm demeanor is important because this news that Caylee is missing isn't news to George....he knows.

This gives us some clues as to what JB will present when the defense does their presentation.

I voted "none of the above", because I think Casey told JB the basic story, then JB embellished and implicated more people as to make ICA look completely innocent of everything -- which was a horrible decision to make, IMO.

When he cross examined Cindy he played a portion of the third 911 call in which you can hear that Cindy is talking to someone else while waiting for KC to take the phone. It's obvious that GA has just arrived home and is still some distance from the house as Cindy is yelling out to him (paraphraised)........."Caylee is gone the babysitter took her a month ago - I just called them." JB insinuated that because you don't hear George yelling and in a panic, it's because he knows that Caylee is gone - dead.

When JB cross examined Yuri Melich, he asked Yuri about everyone's demeanor on the night of July 15th and made specific mention that George's demeanor was calm. He made it clear that George's calm demeanor is important because this news that Caylee is missing isn't news to George....he knows.

SBM
I thought it was already acknowledged that he had an inkling that Caylee was missing. I don't understand how George could have NOT known it. I gather that Cindy had rarely thought of anything else for the past month except that she hadn't seen Caylee for several weeks so the fact could hardly have escaped George's attention either. Wasn't that what he said he thought about at the tow yard, that his granddaughter was missing and he hoped it was not Caylee in the trunk?

I think the defense is a mashup of stuff that has been talked about on the various ICA forums on the internet. I think there was an idea or two that was suggested to ICA and then the story was tweaked to fit the evidence.

I agree with this.
The opening statement was very familiar... it sounded like a combination of every theory out there involving GA... with a little Kronk mixed in.

Sounds like ICA to me especially since she is trying to have GA shoulder part of the blame. I can ICA's mind working on how she thinks including GA in the story will widen the gap between GA and CA that I think she has worked on probably for most of her life.

Who came up with the bizarre abuse + drowning theory? We will never know because the communication between lawyer and client is privileged. While counsel is not permitted to propose a theory contrary to known fact, the client can ask, "what factual scenario would help get me out of this mess." Then, "Yeah! She drowned." Then Q: "How do I explain not simply going to the police then?" A: "Your mental state would be a primary consideration. For example . . . . in Stave vs. Rumplestiltskin . . . " You get the idea. From what I have seen of JB, he would not hesitate to play it very close to the edge - trying to avoid libelous statements here.

Now, why would they cook up this kind of scheme? Theory one has been talked to death: Throw enough mud and see what sticks? Confuse a jury of twelve people who can't seem to figure out how to get out of jury duty? My law school Criminal Procedure prof was a legendary prosecutor in California. He said, "No theory or statement of facts is so ridiculous that constant repetition will not make it begin to sound reasonable."

But there is one more oddball possibility. As things got worse, could dad be convinced, under a grant of immunity (!), to agree with all this? The death is an accident, dad gets shame but no time, and Casey does a few years for child neglect and misleading the investigators. Why throw in the abuse charge? Had to mitigate all the lying somehow. On the whole it doesn't make sense that they would ever dream GA would confess to this - even under immunity, but being a dad, I can imagine sacrificing a great deal to minimize the impact on a daughter who had done something wrong. Something as heinous and cruel as this? Can't tell you because it hasn't happened.

Who or whatever came up with this is just totally insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's totally ICA's story. She included George as a pay back for his Grand Jury testimony and his discussion of the smell of death in the car with investigators on the case. How dare he put Casey in such a position!

However, Ray Kronk comes in via the advice from Jose when ICA didn't want to be tied to the tape on Caylee's head and face. The tape was fine when she was trying to make it look as if her daughter was kidnapped, (remember she studied "missing children" on the internet) but once she dropped the Zanny story the tape had to be done by someone else - Kronk seemed the most likey person in the mix. And I am sure ICA believes this to be a carefully crafted defense package.
jmo

I voted "none of the above", because I think Casey told JB the basic story, then JB embellished and implicated more people as to make ICA look completely innocent of everything -- which was a horrible decision to make, IMO.

Just had a sudden thought....who was the previous defense attorney who either made a comment during a court hearing, or in a filed motion, regarding an "accident scenario"????

Was it Todd Macaluso? Wasn't his expertise supposively "accident re-enactment"?

Who came up with the bizarre abuse + drowning theory? We will never know because the communication between lawyer and client is privileged. While counsel is not permitted to propose a theory contrary to known fact, the client can ask, "what factual scenario would help get me out of this mess." Then, "Yeah! She drowned." Then Q: "How do I explain not simply going to the police then?" A: "Your mental state would be a primary consideration. For example . . . . in Stave vs. Rumplestiltskin . . . " You get the idea. From what I have seen of JB, he would not hesitate to play it very close to the edge - trying to avoid libelous statements here.

Now, why would they cook up this kind of scheme? Theory one has been talked to death: Throw enough mud and see what sticks? Confuse a jury of twelve people who can't seem to figure out how to get out of jury duty? My law school Criminal Procedure prof was a legendary prosecutor in California. He said, "No theory or statement of facts is so ridiculous that constant repetition will not make it begin to sound reasonable."

But there is one more oddball possibility. As things got worse, could dad be convinced, under a grant of immunity (!), to agree with all this? The death is an accident, dad gets shame but no time, and Casey does a few years for child neglect and misleading the investigators. Why throw in the abuse charge? Had to mitigate all the lying somehow. On the whole it doesn't make sense that they would ever dream GA would confess to this - even under immunity, but being a dad, I can imagine sacrificing a great deal to minimize the impact on a daughter who had done something wrong. Something as heinous and cruel as this? Can't tell you because it hasn't happened.

Who or why would GA be granted immunity for that story? Doesn't help the state's case :waitasec:

Just had a sudden thought....who was the previous defense attorney who either made a comment during a court hearing, or in a filed motion, regarding an "accident scenario"????

Was it Todd Macaluso? Wasn't his expertise supposively "accident re-enactment"?

Maybe Lennamon? Was that the one just to get the first DP dropped?

Which begs the question.....

Is THAT the real reason so many defense attorneys in this case became FORMER defense attorneys in this case? No way were they going to go along with that ridiculous defense? :waitasec::great:

I think Triple P (Casey) made it up. Maybe JB adapted the screenplay, but KC wrote the book through conversations with him, with mitigators, with doctors, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retired Private Investiga
Back