Why was JonBenet's case so highly publicized?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think JBR looked more beautiful than disgusting in her pageant videos and pictures. It seems that some people are hesitant to say she looked pretty just because she was a 6-year-old wearing makeup. I don't like that she wore makeup but I won't deny that she looked beautiful in those videos/pictures. For example, I think JBR looks older in the picture below but I still think she's beautiful in it:

l_305ec6106dbd47319e44c37f142f7bec.jpg

And this is a photoshoot picture but she does look natural in it:

l_020a7c7d28f0437ba040292dbb4e7f7e.jpg

I am way more appalled by the pageant pictures of girls in the 2000s than JonBenet's:

Glamour-Shot.jpg

It's like Brooke Shields back in the 70s/80s. Many people thought her movies/modeling were inappropriate but no one could deny that she was gorgeous.

I agree with you about how things have developed since then, which is why I suspect people can look at the older pictures of JonBenet and see them as beautiful and natural. But at the time, it seemed totally creepy to me to see her dressed the way she was and singing and dancing the way she did.

So, to keep on topic, I agree that the pageant aspect was a big part of the interest. But also, as some others have said, the weirdness of her being found in her own home, with apparently no clue as to who could have done it. Those things together made her case much more bizarre.

JMO

There are thousands of little kids murdered every year so why did JonBenet’s case become the most publicized child murder of all time? Plenty of missing/murdered children have gotten national media attention but none of their cases reached the level of infamy that JonBenet’s met.

What do you believe was the biggest factor in JonBenet getting the media attention she did? Was it the pageants? Was it John’s wealth? Was it Christmas? Was it how John and Patsy acted?

If JonBenet had done pageants but lived in a middle class neighborhood, would this case have gotten as much attention? What about if she was still in pageants, still rich, and murdered in July instead of near Christmas?

How about other factors like her unusual name? What if her name had been Jessica Ramsey? Would that have made a difference? Do you think that the OJ Simpson case also played a part in the media attention since people were still annoyed that wealthy OJ got away with murder and thought it was going to happen with the Ramseys?

It seems to me that the reporting of missing/murdered children has changed in the 2000s. It looks like back in the 90s, the media gave immense attention to very few cases, like OJ and JonBenet. Those cases had no competition. Now in the 2000s, the national media (mainly NG) will do a few stories for a week on one child and then move on. There doesn’t seem to be as much extensive coverage on every channel for months, even years, on end anymore on just one case.

I thought this was would be interesting to discuss. :)

I think it's ALL of those elements, eileen.

I think JBR looked more beautiful than disgusting in her pageant videos and pictures. It seems that some people are hesitant to say she looked pretty just because she was a 6-year-old wearing makeup. I don't like that she wore makeup but I won't deny that she looked beautiful in those videos/pictures. For example, I think JBR looks older in the picture below but I still think she's beautiful in it:

I am way more appalled by the pageant pictures of girls in the 2000s than JonBenet's:

Glamour-Shot.jpg

It's like Brooke Shields back in the 70s/80s. Many people thought her movies/modeling were inappropriate but no one could deny that she was gorgeous.

I watched a show one time that stated that the pictures that look like the last one here....are retouched. I believe it too...nobody has eyelashes that perfect.

Glamour-Shot.jpg

Then you have these photos:

aaajb.jpg

jonbenet230806_228x471.jpg

These aren't photos of a little girl. These are photos of a little girl who has been dressed to look like an alluring grown woman. (Ironically, these two photos remind me of Barbie outfits I had when I was a little girl. PR was three months younger than me, so we grew up with the same Barbie outfits available...again...the Barbie doll theme).

I agree with you that the reaction by most people to JBR's appearance at the time was a kind of disgust. I was surprised to see people here describing her and her appearance in the photos/videos as beautiful. It would be interested to know the age range of those who think she looked beautiful in those pageant and performance images, because I am wondering if at this point our culture has grown accustomed to seeing children made up and dressed up like women, so that it no longer seems appalling.

Please don't misunderstand what people here are saying. JB was a beautiful little girl. NO one here thinks it was appropriate to dress her up like a Las Vegas showgirl or have her taught provocative moves.
And I have to say that in her earlier pageant photos, she was much less sexualized than in her more recent ones. Patsy began to cross a line in the last year of JB's life- and some of her own friends were planning an "intervention".
Our culture is bombarded from all sides with the sexualization of young people (not just girls). Go to any mall and look at the ads in the Guess stores. Look at any copy of Vogue. Many of these models in ads for Gucci, etc. are YOUNG girls, some as young as 11.
The glitz pageants are just a part of it. On AOL news, there was an article about a pageant mom getting flak for dressing her TODDLER in a Madonna-style CONE BRA! In gold lame'.

I don't like pageants and I don't like that JonBenet, at age 6, had to wear makeup and the same costume as a Las Vegas showgirl. Just because I think JonBenet was beautiful doesn't mean that I'm endorsing the pageants or anything. I find the more recent pageant girls with their glitz photos way more creepy than JonBenet.

Here's a recent pageant girl with her photo retouched:

Picture%209.png

I don't like pageants and I don't like that JonBenet, at age 6, had to wear makeup and the same costume as a Las Vegas showgirl. Just because I think JonBenet was beautiful doesn't mean that I'm endorsing the pageants or anything. I find the more recent pageant girls with their glitz photos way more creepy than JonBenet.

Here's a recent pageant girl with her photo retouched:

Picture%209.png

Interesting...before te retoucing, that sweet tot is simply a cute, but not especially beautiful, child. After- they even enlarged her EYES, for Pete's sake. Wonder what the judges think when these kids look so ordinary in real life? And what is wrong with that anyway? Why can't they just be cute little kids? Why do they have to be spectacular?

Interesting...before te retoucing, that sweet tot is simply a cute, but not especially beautiful, child. After- they even enlarged her EYES, for Pete's sake. Wonder what the judges think when these kids look so ordinary in real life? And what is wrong with that anyway? Why can't they just be cute little kids? Why do they have to be spectacular?

IMO, the little girl doesn't even look beautiful in the 2nd picture. There is TOO much retouching that she looks more like a porcelain doll than a child. It's not like she just has makeup; they pretty much gave her plastic surgery using Photoshop.

This is the current "Queen Bee" of the kiddie pageant industry: She's four years old, BTW

41779_139486736077484_9407_n.jpg

JBR did not need anywhere near that amount of retouching to look beautiful:

l_50429c0451de345fa921af98987e85f8.jpg

t1larg.missnebraska.gi.jpg

My Gosh! She looks older than the newly-crowned Miss America (pictured above).

What is perhaps even more startling is how people world-wide were so exposed to this case, and became so invested. In Australia it was headlines, and our Christmas that year was tainted by sorrow for this little girl. Along with the US audiences, we watched JonBenet dance as a Vegas showgirl, we saw images of the beautiful home, of the family, and heard details of her brutal death. It touched our hearts along with yours. At the same time it was an awakening for us ... at that moment our vision of America changed. We saw a loss of innocence. This was mostly because of the pageants. We had never seen such visions – children dressed like this. It was one of many instances where the phrase "Only in America" was on everyone's lips. But it was by far the most saddening. Now I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but it is how much of the rest of the world viewed the scenes as they played out. And I can assure you that the rest of the world will be patiently waiting for the outcome of the new investigation.

I should add, it is heartening to read that many of you in the States were as shocked to see the pageants as the rest of us!

What is perhaps even more startling is how people world-wide were so exposed to this case, and became so invested. In Australia it was headlines, and our Christmas that year was tainted by sorrow for this little girl. Along with the US audiences, we watched JonBenet dance as a Vegas showgirl, we saw images of the beautiful home, of the family, and heard details of her brutal death. It touched our hearts along with yours. At the same time it was an awakening for us ... at that moment our vision of America changed. We saw a loss of innocence. This was mostly because of the pageants. We had never seen such visions – children dressed like this. It was one of many instances where the phrase "Only in America" was on everyone's lips. But it was by far the most saddening. Now I don't mean to offend anyone by this, but it is how much of the rest of the world viewed the scenes as they played out. And I can assure you that the rest of the world will be patiently waiting for the outcome of the new investigation.

I should add, it is heartening to read that many of you in the States were as shocked to see the pageants as the rest of us!
I'm personally not offended. In fact it's interesting to hear that this was the reaction.

Another way to look at JonBenet's media coverage is to look at how shocked people were with Miley and Britney, when they were 16/17 years old, wearing raunchy outfits. I bet if one of them had performed in a Vegas Showgirl outfit, there would be a ton of controversy. And these girls are almost college aged and celebrities. JBR was six and was murdered. I can definitely see how the pageant videos helped get the case the media attention it got.

Flakes: How well publicized was JonBenet's case in Australia? If you said, "JonBenet", would people know who you're talking about or do you have to give a description and then they vaguely remember it? I saw a poll that said in the US, 70% could recognize JBR just by a picture and about 90% know about JBR and her case. You would be surprised by how many of these missing/murdered children cases, despite getting national media attention, are not known by the majority of the public. Caylee's case was on NG for months straight yet there was an entire topic on her forum where people said that no one knew anything about the case where they're from. I think JBR is more well known than other kids who also got national media attention because there was a higher number of media outlets talking about the case, not just NG. I think we sometimes tend to confuse "national attention" with "nationally known".

IMO, the little girl doesn't even look beautiful in the 2nd picture. There is TOO much retouching that she looks more like a porcelain doll than a child. It's not like she just has makeup; they pretty much gave her plastic surgery using Photoshop.

This is the current "Queen Bee" of the kiddie pageant industry: She's four years old, BTW

JBR did not need anywhere near that amount of retouching to look beautiful:

l_50429c0451de345fa921af98987e85f8.jpg

That photo doesn't even look like a real child. It looks computer generated (I guess in a way, it is with all that photoshopping), like a Barbie movie or Shrek.

BTW, the new Miss America is only 17 years old. Remember my previous post about the ideals of beauty being younger and younger girls? This will SURELY fire up those awful pageant moms and put even more pressure on their BABIES they aim to propel into that world.
I can't even recall when we last had a Miss America that young. Have we EVER had a MIss America that young?

I was wondering the same thing...when I saw a show about the "re-touching" of pageant photos. The girls look like dolls or something. They even airbrush makeup onto their faces....WOW! How weird....And what in the world do these little girls think of it. Their mom's are saying..."Okay..you are not perfect enough...so not only are we going to add hair extentions, flippers (fake teeth), and a spray tan...we are ALSO going to get your pageant photo re-touched, to make you look even better." I am sure that is just "great" for their self-esteem.

That photo doesn't even look like a real child. It looks computer generated (I guess in a way, it is with all that photoshopping), like a Barbie movie or Shrek.

BTW, the new Miss America is only 17 years old. Remember my previous post about the ideals of beauty being younger and younger girls? This will SURELY fire up those awful pageant moms and put even more pressure on their BABIES they aim to propel into that world.
I can't even recall when we last had a Miss America that young. Have we EVER had a MIss America that young?

Funny you should ask...just read in the paper today...that she is the youngest Miss America EVER in the history of the pageant. (She needs to touch up her roots, though).

BTW...I was thinking that first picture looked odd too...even though it is photoshopped...it does look like one of those Barbie movies. I cannot believe that child is FOUR years old!!! That is just ridiculous!!!!

Funny you should ask...just read in the paper today...that she is the youngest Miss America EVER in the history of the pageant. (She needs to touch up her roots, though).

BTW...I was thinking that first picture looked odd too...even though it is photoshopped...it does look like one of those Barbie movies. I cannot believe that child is FOUR years old!!! That is just ridiculous!!!!
I tell you what. All this obsession with parents trying to make their human kids look like dolls....I'm going to make good and dayum sure my granddaughters get lots and lots of dolls while they are young so they don't grow up and try to turn my great-grandchildren into "human dolls."

Who Won Miss America? Miss Nebraska is Miss America 2011

Miss America Winner
The distinction between Miss Teen USA and Miss America was officially blurred Saturday as 17-year-old Teresa Scanlan took home the coveted Miss America crown. The Gering, Nebraska native is now the youngest person to walk away with the $50,000 scholarship awarded annually to the pageant winner.
The young 2011 Miss America champion will be using that $50,000 to attend Patrick Henry College in Virginia, following her early graduation from Scottsbluff High School in Spring 2010.
Ms. Scanlan, who distinguished herself in the talent competition by playing “White Water Chopsticks” on the piano in lieu of singing or dancing, said that she will dedicate her year-long tenure as Miss America to campaign against eating disorders.

http://www.ecanadanow.com/entertain...scanlan-miss-nebraska-wins-miss-america-2011/

Why was she in the Miss America Pageant? She should have been in the Miss Teen? This is just so disturbing to me that I dont even have words right now.

How is a child dressed like an adult, wearing pink hot pants and tube top not considered child *advertiser censored*? I just cant agree with child pageants, I cant even come close to seeing a good side to any of it. Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Not to mention the young child dressed in a gold CONE BRA (a la Madonna) for a pageant. Her "mother" defended it, saying it was supposed to be "funny". I wish we could make her look at JB's autopsy photos. Then she could see that it really isn't "funny" to sexualize children. You could try googling cone bra pageant mom and see if it still pulls up. I saw it on AOL news online.

I know this is not a pageant thread per se but I do not understand what the kids are suppose to get out of the process. We see all the pageant moms insist they are not living thru their kids, or sexualizing their kids, or validating their own self worth by having the *prettiest* child, etc, etc.... and all the kids are there because *they* want to be there, they beg to go....

But I would be so hesitant to put that much of any child's self worth tied to looks, clothes, and based on the judgment of others. I don't get how any of that could be good for someone, especially when most of them leave the event losing since they are not the cutest, prettiest, best dressed. Can't even decide if I think winning or losing would be worse for them.

For the parents who do have kids who truly live to be the center of attention and be on stage, well if it was me and mine, they would be in drama, special effects make up, charity fashion shows, if they are obsessed with costumes and clothes they can learn to make them and find friends with equal interest in a healthier expression of pageantry (floats in a local parade?).

That is before you get into the money these people spend.
OMG, I had no idea until I watched toddlers and tiaras.

For all the ones claiming they enter for scholarship money it certainly seems they could just bank all that money at a conservative interest rate and be way way way ahead.

Right on you are, redhead! But I disagree on one point. These moms DO live through their little girls. I am not being mean, but if you take a look at most of those moms, they are by no stretch of the imagination beauty queens. Let's be realistic. All of us here who are moms (or parents) WANT our kids to succeed. We want them to be healthy, happy, productive, and independent adults. (That means NOT living at home on our dime). We want the best for them. Maybe some of us want fame for them, or public adoration or at the very least, public esteem. Maybe they want these things for themselves (I would hope anyone in the public eye is there willingly and happily).
But THESE moms are VIRULENT in their ambition- stage moms on steroids.

I just came back from seeing "Black Swan". My daughter was a professional ballerina. This movie was chilling in its accurate portrayal of the "Swan Queen" and her mother, herself also a former ballerina. (I wasn't). Great movie, though. An insight into a talented, but fragile, performer.
The pageant world is different than the world of ballet companies, but the rivalries among the MOTHERS as well as the competitors is the same.
It would have been interesting to see how far up the pageant ladder JB would have actually climbed (or been pushed).
Mothers of boys may not be able to relate. When you have a son that plays a sport, and he's GOOD, everyone on the team is happy to have a great player like him. He makes the team look GOOD. But when your daughter is in a pageant or ballet company and she's GOOD, everyone else wants your child to break her leg. (I guess that's where 'break a leg' came from". Been there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics
Back