GUILTY WI - Amber Creek, 14, raped & murdered, Racine County, 9 Feb 1997

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Couldn't find any recent updates, but I did find a Wikipedia page about the case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Amber_Creek

And an interview with Amber's dad, talking about his efforts to get help for her:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...40415_1_palatine-wisconsin-authorities-arrest

Since 1997, the year she went missing, the Palatine father has lived with grief, anger and guilt about the disturbing chain of events that led to Amber Creek's death. He knows it is difficult for people to understand why he asked the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services to take temporary custody of his daughter, a chronic runaway, just weeks before she died. The system failed them both, authorities agree...

Her mother... had custody of the girl until she was 6, when Amber revealed that she had been sexually abused by a man, according to a DCFS report. After moving in with her father, Amber would often cry herself to sleep and had little contact with her biological mother, her father said. Amber began sneaking out of the house and acting out in increasingly self-destructive ways... "Our psychiatrist … wanted her in a locked-in facility," Creek said. "He said — and these are his exact words — 'Someone's going to kill her if we don't do something.' She was putting herself into more dangerous situations"...

He begged DCFS to take Amber in, but the agency fought his efforts, he said. As a last resort, he took his daughter into the Palatine police station and signed the paperwork that forced the state agency to take temporary custody. He would later come to regret that he hadn't kept Amber at home.

http://host.madison.com/news/local/...cle_24998efc-c095-5fe6-a87f-fb0fcc650cd7.html

During a hearing on Friday, one of Eaton’s defense attorneys said they don’t have all of investigators’ evidence in the case: notably disks containing images and recordings from the investigation. Racine County District Attorney Rich Chiapete said he thought that Racine County sheriff’s investigators would have provided everything to Eaton’s attorneys by now.

He said he had Sheriff’s Office staff copy the entire file, which is “in excess of 4K pages”...

He set Eaton’s next court date for Oct. 27... Eaton remains in the Racine County Jail on $500,000 cash bond. He is charged with first-degree intentional homicide and hiding a corpse.

Plea deal apparently reached in cold-case homicide

http://journaltimes.com/news/local/plea-deal-apparently-reached-in-cold-case-homicide/article_8788901a-7222-5246-8853-9b0e05e02e14.html

A plea deal appears to have been reached in the cold-case homicide of Amber Creek.

James Eaton, accused of killing the 14-year-old Creek in 1997 and dumping her body in Racine County, had been scheduled to go on trial next month.

But according to online court records, Eaton now has a change of plea hearing scheduled for Tuesday.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20170120/news/170129854/

The Palatine man responsible for the 1997 killing of 14-year-old Amber Creek was sentenced to the maximum penalty of 40 years in prison in a Wisconsin courtroom Friday afternoon after four relatives told the judge how deeply losing her had hurt them.

Racine County Judge Eugene Gasiorkiewicz said Eaton was responsible for Amber's brutal death and that any sentence less than the maximum would be a slight not only to Amber but to humanity itself.

"All I can say is how sorry I am for what happened," Eaton said before asking Gasiorkiewicz to "consider the whole of my life and what I've become."

Gasiorkiewicz strongly rejected the argument that Eaton deserved a lesser sentence because he had reformed in the time since he killed Amber.

"You were capable of turning your life around," Gasiorkiewicz told Eaton. "Amber Creek never got that chance."

"It hurts how her body was disposed of, like a soda can on the highway," Gasiorkiewicz said, calling Eaton's actions an insult to Amber's humanity.

I went to high school with him (and the Brown's Chicken Murderers.)

I wonder if we will find out what happened...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

After killer sentenced in 1997 cold case, dad of Palatine girl talks of despair, justice

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ct-amber-creek-homicide-sentencing-met-20170124-story.html

A 40-year prison sentence for the man convicted of killing a 14-year-old Palatine girl has finally brought some relief to her family, her father said, after years of mystery surrounding her 1997 death.

"Justice was served," said Robert Creek, the father of Amber Creek.

Robert Creek said his family has dealt with "years of despair."

At the sentencing, family members told the court that Amber was a promising but troubled adolescent.

"She was intelligent, sweet, she had a beautiful voice, but she was confused," Robert Creek said.

Eaton will be eligible to apply for parole in 10 years, but Creek said there would be family members to speak out against his release.

"I'm pretty sure he will not get out," Creek said. "I can't believe any parole board would let him out."

Poor baby slipped through the cracks because obviously after her sexual abuse she became depressed. No one could understand and she took the dark path. It's disgusting what that monster did to her and to pose the poor girl in such a malicious way and the $5 price tags is such a spit in her face. May he get raped every night and day so he can then feel her pain and could only wish for the relief of death. RIP poor beautiful lost soul Amber Creek, I know you are no longer lost you're killer has been brought to JUSTICE although 40 years is not long enough.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska
Back