GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
this was literally a stabbing spree. I’m not defending bullying someone; that’s not ok. The solution to that is *not* stabbing 5 people, killing one, with the victims including some people who were very tangentially involved. NM dramatically escalated the situation. None of the others had weapons and taunting someone does not create fear of imminent death—he was enraged and humiliated, which is a different thing entirely.

When the accused got pushed down into the water and slapped a couple of times, that's when he pulled out the knife and slashed the 17 year old that was involved in that part... that act of the group "could be" construed as he felt his life was in danger being drowned. But this is the first time I have seen anything about this incident and I could be missing a lot when it comes to how this came to happen.

I hate to say it but I am really on the fence on this one. He might walk free and I don't honestly know how I would vote on a jury...
I know how I would vote. I would vote not guilty. I am surprised the poor guy was prosecuted. It was clearly self defense. IMO

It really doesn't matter what I think, still on the fence, however, I will never advocate or support physical violence. Not saying anyone here is doing that, only saying imo, does not appear to be self-defense.

Will see what the jury does -- they clearly have their work to do.

Curious if NM has any children and also what his wife was doing during the events at the river?

My thoughts. This case is interesting.

this was literally a stabbing spree. I’m not defending bullying someone; that’s not ok. The solution to that is *not* stabbing 5 people, killing one, with the victims including some people who were very tangentially involved. NM dramatically escalated the situation. None of the others had weapons and taunting someone does not create fear of imminent death—he was enraged and humiliated, which is a different thing entirely.

I disagree to some extent.

He was pushed down into the water and then struck multiple times. The legal burden is for reasonable doubt and I think from what video I saw, it looks to me that there was some truth to his argument being that he was outnumbered and surrounded in a situation water where he could have been knocked out and easily drowned.

But I admit, this is a very tough case. There is guilt on both sides so where does the law draw the line???

Nicolae Miu's ex-wife. She filed for divorce in March. She was tubing with him on the day of the stabbing and told authorities her husband had a knife in his pocket.

Updated April 2, 2024 11:52am CDT

Apple River stabbing: What happened

According to court records, the stabbing took place on the Apple River near the Sunrise Bridge in Somerset, Wisconsin, which allegedly started after Miu was apparently looking for a friend's cell phone in the river but was confronted by tubers who said he was acting sketchy.

The encounter escalated, and he apparently punched a female on the left side of her face before Miu was punched, eventually leading to the stabbing.

Witnesses began calling 911 at 3:47 p.m. on July 30, which indicated there were potentially four or five victims with wounds to the mid to upper body.

A 24-year-old woman from Burnsville, Minnesota, a 20-year-old and 22-year-old man from Luck, Wisconsin, and a 22-year-old man from Elk River, Minnesota, were injured in the attack. But, 17-year-old Schuman died from his injuries.

According to the criminal complaint, Miu claimed the attack was self-defense. He said he was "so fearful" for his safety, adding he wasn't sure what the people in the river were going to do to him, and "everything happened so fast."

Nicolae Miu's ex-wife. She filed for divorce in March. She was tubing with him on the day of the stabbing and told authorities her husband had a knife in his pocket.

According to court records, the stabbing took place on the Apple River near the Sunrise Bridge in Somerset, Wisconsin, which allegedly started after Miu was apparently looking for a friend's cell phone in the river but was confronted by tubers who said he was acting sketchy.

The encounter escalated, and he apparently punched a female on the left side of her face before Miu was punched, eventually leading to the stabbing.

Witnesses began calling 911 at 3:47 p.m. on July 30, which indicated there were potentially four or five victims with wounds to the mid to upper body.

A 24-year-old woman from Burnsville, Minnesota, a 20-year-old and 22-year-old man from Luck, Wisconsin, and a 22-year-old man from Elk River, Minnesota, were injured in the attack. But, 17-year-old Schuman died from his injuries.

According to the criminal complaint, Miu claimed the attack was self-defense. He said he was "so fearful" for his safety, adding he wasn't sure what the people in the river were going to do to him, and "everything happened so fast."
From above snipped:

“The encounter escalated, and he apparently punched a female on the left side of her face before Miu was punched, eventually leading to the stabbing.”

If I read that correctly, once things escalated….. NM then punched a female on the left side of her face?

Well that clears my perspective on this matter. MOO

Updated April 2, 2024 11:52am CDT

Gee, I wonder why a violent man is divorced?

"No" is a full sentence. If you tell someone "no" and they continue approaching you, THEY are the aggressor, you are the victim.
This idiot found himself "surrounded" by other people because he placed himself there! He was told to go away more than once, and Miu started the escalation by approaching them anyway.

These kids just wanted to be left alone, and this man-baby got embarrassed and violent. Absolutely no impulse control on his part. He is dangerous and belongs in jail.

Miu also very intentionally wanted to cause them great harm/death. He was holding one kid's shoulder to steady himself so he could plunge his knife into the kid's belly.

I find it interesting that Miu felt fearful for his safety, when he was already armed with a weapon when he approached.

Today's trial update thus far...

Updated April 2, 2024 2:05pm CDT

I know its been stated that the wife (now ex) was there and divorced him in March. Do we know if she is a states witness or defense? Yes, she stated he had a knife in his pocket *which i don't find abnormal since it was a small one... if you are rafting/tubing down a river where you might just need one for anything, line, rope etc. I carry one in my saddle pack and in my car for emergencies in outdoors) and divorced him... but knowing there will be civil suits for sure, i'd like to know if she divorced because of violence or protection from that. Seems that the way many are handling these days.

I'm also having a problem with some of these kids testifying and being caught in lies.... All were wrong in this situation except the ones that went in to help, but from the video, it looks like they came from behind and it happened so fast. I'm glad i'm not on this jury.

I seem to recall reading at the time, that it was suspected that Mr. Miu was possibly harassing young women by snorkeling near them, as in ogling. Does anyone else recall that? I may be misremembering.

I seem to recall reading at the time, that it was suspected that Mr. Miu was possibly harassing young women by snorkeling near them, as in ogling. Does anyone else recall that? I may be misremembering.
yes. Thats one statement. Defense says he was searching for a friends cell phone that was dropped.... not sure what will be proven.... His wife was within sight with other friends... so its def. a he said/she said on that, i think.. Unless they can prove it one way or the other

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back