GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Court TV just announced the jury went home for the day but told the Judge they want to watch the video again in the morning when they return.

Seems like perhaps the jury has the same issue we have in this thread, some see the video one way and some see it the other way.
Unfortunately most people have seen just 1 video that has been edited. The jury and trial watchers got to see the whole thing

Nobody in his group took any video. There was a blurry video (phone got wet) taken by someone completely unrelated.
I saw one from Mui's group....shows Mui in his tube and two women saying keep taping the guy in the woods it might be important. That one was not blurry. So I think they showed 4 different videos in court....plus the LE ones.

Last edited:
I saw one from Mui's group....show Mui in his tube and two women saying keep taping the guy it the woods it might be important. That one was not blurry. So I think they showed 4 different videos in court....plus the LE ones.
Could be. Unfortunately I kind of zoned out during defense witnesses. The whole interpreter thing made it difficult.

I had never even heard of this trial before I started watching it on CTV, so I came into it with no knowledge of what had happened and learned what happened only via evidence presented in court.

It seems there are some here who may have family or friends directly or indirectly affected by this terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to them. It was so avoidable and showcased some of the worst we have to see in human behaviour.

Not on this video. He does start stabbing until after he was hit and pushed into the wat

I see him pull away with knife in hand after jabbing toward Ryley. I think it takes a few moments before she realizes she is stabbed. This is before or just after he hits Maddie.

When Ryley was asked about it she does not remember much other than she thought he hit her. So I am convinced he hurt both women before boys reacted.

I see him pull away with knife in hand after jabbing toward Ryley. I think it takes a few moments before she realizes she is stabbed. This is before or just after he hits Maddie.

When Ryley was asked about it she does not remember much other than she thought he hit her. So I am convinced he hurt both women before boys reacted.
That's just incorrect. Watch the trial. They actually go through the video frame by frame.

Court TV just announced the jury went home for the day but told the Judge they want to watch the video again in the morning when they return.

Seems like perhaps the jury has the same issue we have in this thread, some see the video one way and some see it the other way.
The video will be the deciding factor on the outcome. Its gold in this case. moo

Was anyone else surprised by the prosecution’s rebuttal closing remarks? I think he went too far by saying that NM always lies and is “weird”. ( can’t remember the exact words he used, maybe he said bizarre)

I feel his rebuttal would have been much stronger if he hadn’t just parroted the teens’ descriptions. It put him on the same level as the teens— not a good look for an adult. IMO.
His rebuttal reminded me a lot of James Krause’s rebuttal in the rittenhouse trial. Desperate, voice quivering, no real conviction behind the strong adjectives he was using. Like a beaten man just begging the jury to convict him of something, anything!

JMO

@PaulBlume_FOX9

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: That's a full lid from court today. Jury has gone home. They had a final request. They want to watch Cockfield cellphone video again -- specifically 10 seconds before Miu-Madison Coen confrontation thru the stabbings. They'll do that in the AM.

5:39 PM · Apr 10, 2024

APPLE RIVER STABBING TRIAL: With our live gavel-to-gavel trial coverage wrapped for the day. I am going to jump over on the radio & join @DanBarreiroKFAN at 5:15pm to talk all of the day's courtroom developments. Please give a listen.

Or.... as I saw in another trial recently, the jury wanted to devils-advocate their concensus, to ensure they'd exhausted the defense's defense before returning their guilty verdict.

It remains for me that, if he thought they had the phone, he could have called the police who could have waited downstream to question them and cite them accordingly.

We don't get to take the law into our own hands.

I do wonder what this trial would have looked like without the videos.

Now I wait on the jury because my opinion carries no weight there.

JMO
Hi Megnut
One thought :)) came to me on the way home from great grand meeting. What we at Websleuths and many other sites learn to do so we don't go to Websleuths jail. We learn to scroll on by if we can't reply to someone without attacking. While this thought is in no way as serious as this river attack. NM had many opportunities to "scroll" on by without taking on any harm. He could have ignored the taunting and practiced removing himself from a "dangerous" situation. He could have gone back to his group without any harm. He did not have to stand his ground. He could have scrolled on back.

That's just incorrect. Watch the trial. They actually go through the video frame by frame.
I saw the whole trial, and watched the video frame by frame several times. That is what I saw. The video does not show Miu's hand when it jabs, just his arm going forward. Ryley holding phone up. But, as he pulls away it shows knife in hand. I guess we disagree.

Calling someone names should not lead to murder. Especially when it is a bunch of immature drunk 17 year olds. He should have walked away. Just how many times was he asked, demanded to leave where the boys were. He went out of his way to get close to the boys. I suspect he did not like a bunch of noisy boys hurting his peaceful river trip. Though he could not have predicted the final outcome.

I saw the whole trial, and watched the video frame by frame several times. That is what I saw. The video does not show Miu's hand when it jabs, just his arm going forward. Ryley holding phone up. But, as he pulls away it shows knife in hand. I guess we disagree.

Calling someone names should not lead to murder. Especially when it is a bunch of immature drunk 17 year olds. He should have walked away. Just how many times was he asked, demanded to leave where the boys were. He went out of his way to get close to the boys. I suspect he did not like a bunch of noisy boys hurting his peaceful river trip. Though he could not have predicted the final outcome.

Ok, but the police, prosecutor, ect don't agree with what you see. We all have a right to our opinions though.

It’s easy for us to say what happened and who should have done what here in hindsight, getting to draw out the moments frame by frame. In the moment, what is correct and reasonable on either side may not be so clear. I don’t see first degree murder here. I also don’t see murderous intent on the part of the teens. I feel like they’re gonna come back with either not guilty or some kind of manslaughter due to it being a mutual combat kind of deal.

Calling someone names should not lead to murder.
This. Being obnoxious is not something that should necessitate being killed over, especially if the person being a moron is a seventeen year old. The boys were super, SUPER out of line, but also, like...I think part of why I find this whole thing SO baffling is that if I approach a random group of rowdy teenage boys in a context where it is very likely that at least one of them (AND a TON of people around us all) is also going to be drinking/drunk, and one of them calls me something terrible (but also pretty clearly nonsense) -- more or less out of nowhere -- I'm not sticking around to get into it with them. I'm going to assume they're addled, mentally unstable, extremely dumb teenagers, or some combination of those things and back away. And then probably make fun of them with my husband in private. :D I don't need that drama in my life.

Think about how many police bodycam videos of disorderly conduct arrests and the like are of people getting chased and tased and hit with a million more charges over things that SO VERY MUCH did not need to become a "thing", except that the person would not just leave the situation or let something pointless go. No matter how many times they're told to go home or go stand with their friends or leave a particular establishment. That's kind of how I feel about a lot of this case.

There are two videos. When he "ran up on them" that was the second video. It wasn't at all the beginning of their interaction. The first video shows him looking for the phone. Someone asks what he's doing. (He and the final teen testifying says looking for a phone). Camera guy says "what did you say? Looking for little girls?". Then they start taunting him calling him a raper and pedophile. That video ends with him walking away.

The second video is where he thinks he sees the phone and comes back to them. Loses his snorkel stuff and walks around the tubes looking for it.
Thanks for clarifying this and for linking the longer first video ! ^^^

This won't be easy for the jury, both side made bad decisions that day.
Still, if Isaac hadn't died and others hadn't been injured, some severely, I don't think we'd be here right now.
And if there was alcohol consumption, etc., that only exacerbated the situation.
Omo.

It’s easy for us to say what happened and who should have done what here in hindsight, getting to draw out the moments frame by frame. In the moment, what is correct and reasonable on either side may not be so clear. I don’t see first degree murder here. I also don’t see murderous intent on the part of the teens. I feel like they’re gonna come back with either not guilty or some kind of manslaughter due to it being a mutual combat kind of deal.

Both sides made very poor choices imo.

One 17 year old is forever in the ground and even if Mr. M gets found not guilty, his life is probably ruined. Jmo

The video will be the deciding factor on the outcome. Its gold in this case. moo
The entire trial was based around this video and everything it tells us, and doesn't tell us.

The prosecution tried to make Larrion Davis' video an important exhibit as well (which was a big mistake IMO), but you can't really see anything from it because it's so blurry, even after using all of the technology we have in this day and age to try and fix it!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back