WI - Crystal Harrison, 20, Summit, 29 July 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh no. This one seemed so hopeful, how sad for Chrystal and her family.

I hope they have some strong leads and can solve this case -

Authorities Try to Identify Human Remains

5:44 PM Aug 9, 2005
The state crime lab is investigating the identity of human remains that have been found near Mauston.
The remains were discovered at two separate sites in the Town of Summit.
Coroner Howard Fischer says they haven't determined if the remains are those of 20 year old Crystal Harrison, who was reported missing more than a week ago.

The bones were found on Saturday about a mile away from Crystal's home by her family and friends. Authorities say about 20–percent of the person's remains have been recovered so far.

"Anytime we got a missing person complaint, and there are suspicious circumstances like there were in this one we always treat it as if, uh, expect the worst and hope for the best," says Juneau County Sheriff Brent Oleson.

While the State Crime lab works to identity the bones... Juneau County authorities continue questioning people that knew Crystal.

http://nbc15.madison.com/news/headlines/1663696.html

They keep talking about bones. She has only been missing a week. I would assume that an animal got to her body. Either that or this is someone different.

mysteriew said:
They keep talking about bones. She has only been missing a week. I would assume that an animal got to her body. Either that or this is someone different.

I am really confused by this too. I don't know if I think this is her or not...but I guess it could be if like you said an animal got to her. And they were found in 2 different places, hmmm this is strange to me. I wonder who else it could if not her. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.

Marisa714 said:
I am really confused by this too. I don't know if I think this is her or not...but I guess it could be if like you said an animal got to her. And they were found in 2 different places, hmmm this is strange to me. I wonder who else it could if not her. I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
yeah,I am also confused. But if it's not her, how ironic that two missing people would be so close in proximity ... I tend to think this is her, though. The remains were found by the house where she was staying.

Marisa714 said:
Authorities Try to Identify Human Remains

5:44 PM Aug 9, 2005
The state crime lab is investigating the identity of human remains that have been found near Mauston.
The remains were discovered at two separate sites in the Town of Summit.
Coroner Howard Fischer says they haven't determined if the remains are those of 20 year old Crystal Harrison, who was reported missing more than a week ago.

The bones were found on Saturday about a mile away from Crystal's home by her family and friends. Authorities say about 20–percent of the person's remains have been recovered so far.

"Anytime we got a missing person complaint, and there are suspicious circumstances like there were in this one we always treat it as if, uh, expect the worst and hope for the best," says Juneau County Sheriff Brent Oleson.

While the State Crime lab works to identity the bones... Juneau County authorities continue questioning people that knew Crystal.

http://nbc15.madison.com/news/headlines/1663696.html
Now it's THREE sites ...
Reports of remains found at three different sites spark searches not far from a Fitchburg search that happened back in November for Amos Mortier.

"As soon as I heard that of course the first thing I thought of, and I don't want to think of it, it is a horrible, horrible thing to think that your son or your loved ones remains are out there," tells Margie Milutinovich, Motier's mother.

document.write('');http://cas.clickability.com/adclick?a=5117&n=2592&d=79086&c=6500
Fitchburg police confirm two out of the three findings are not the 27-year old.

http://nbc15.madison.com/home/headlines/1664601.html

What a disturbing case. As always, I'm hoping that these bones don't belong to our girl. AND, curious as to the decomposition is "bones" at this point.
Such a tragedy. The infant will never know his mommy.
Thanks for the updates.

PrayersForMaura said:
yeah,I am also confused. But if it's not her, how ironic that two missing people would be so close in proximity ... I tend to think this is her, though. The remains were found by the house where she was staying.

Yeah I agree with you. This is all sooo close to where I live too, I'm left w/an unsettling feeling after I read your article about 3 sites w/remains! I sorta hope they are Amos so the family can have closure, on the other hand his mom really seems to believe he's alive and I hope shes right! They only said 2 of the 3 werent him, so now we just have to wait.

Human remains found

By Tim Damos Star-Times
Human remains have been found approximately one mile from the home of a Mauston woman who was reported missing on July 31. However, it is not certain that the remains found are those of Crystal F. Harrison, 20.
According to Juneau County Coroner Howard Fischer, the remains account for less than 20 percent of a human body. "The remains are skeletonized at this time," he said.
Fischer said it appeared as though the remains had been scattered throughout the area by wild animals.
Fischer said, upon discovery of the remains, it was necessary to send photos of what was found to Dr. Leslie Eisenberg, a forensic anthropologist who specializes in bones, to determine if what they found was indeed human remains. Eisenberg is currently at the scene assisting in the investigation.
Fischer said the remains found were consistent with a corpse that had been hidden. He said he is not sure if dental records can be used to identify the remains, but it is a possibility.
The State Crime Lab is still in the preliminary stages of investigation and is being assisted by numerous law enforcement and state agencies. As of Monday afternoon, there was no autopsy underway.

Disappearance
Harrison's aunt, Jackie Schara, reported her missing on July 31 after she had returned home from a vacation on the morning of July 30 to find Harrison had disappeared. According to Schara, Harrison's personal possessions were still in the house, including her shoes.
She also said the front door was unlocked.
Schara said Harrison, who lives with Schara on Hill Rd. in the Town of Summit, had been home babysitting her own

http://www.wiscnews.com/jcst/news/index.php?ntid=49969&ntpid=0

I think this article has more details than the previous ones, if its the same...oops I don't recall reading it

Search is on for missing woman

By Tim Damos** Star-Times
* Mauston woman has been missing for one week
The daughter of a couple killed in a murder-suicide in 2001 has been reported missing from her aunt and uncle's home in Mauston, leaving her seven month-old son behind. Her aunt says her disappearance is "out of character."
20 year-old Crystal Faye Harrison was housesitting for her aunt and uncle, who live on Hill Rd. (off Hwy. 58 South of Mauston), while they were on vacation in Mississippi. According to her aunt, Jackie Schara, Harrison was also watching her seven month-old son and her sister's two children, who are one and three years-old.
Schara, as well as the Juneau County Sheriff's Department, said Harrison was last heard from at approximately 10 p.m. on Friday, July 29 when a friend had talked to her over the phone.
Schara said when she and her husband came home on Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m., Harrison was gone. "This is out of character, because she never leaves her baby without contacting someone," she said.
Sometime between the hours of 10 p.m. Friday night and 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning, Harrison dissapeared.
Schara said the three year old child in the house that night did not hear anything. "They were all sleeping," she said.
According to Schara, friends of Harrison said she was planning on "chilling out" at home on Friday night (the night of her disappearance).
Schara said there was nothing at their home to suggest that Harrison had planned to leave. "There were no clothes missing or anything," she said. "Even her shoes were still there."
Schara said the circumstances of the disappearance seem to indicate foul play. "As far as the family is concerned, she has been abducted," said Schara. She also said the front door to the home was left unlocked, which she felt was unusual.
Sheriff's Department
The Juneau County Sheriff's Department is actively investigating Harrison's disappearance. "Right now, we're treating it as a missing person," said Detective Tom Czys.
However, Czys said the fact that Harrison left without her son was cause for alarm. "That's why it's suspicious, she left the infant behind," he said.
Sheriff Brent Oleson said the Sheriff's Department is conducting interviews to establish who has had contact with Harrison. "We're trying to see who was with her and establish a timeline," he said.
2001 Murder-Suicide
On Apr. 28, 2001, in the township of Summit, Harrison's stepfather, Dennis K. Nachtigal shot and killed Harrison's mother, Leslie F. Nachtigal in her car, he then turned the gun on himself. Reports at the time indicated that the couple was having personal problems.
New Job
Schara said she had talked to Harrison Thursday morning at 8 a.m. over the phone. "She sounded fine," said Schara. "She was excited to start her new job."
According to Schara, Harrison said she had recently interviewed at Reedsburg Area Medical Center (RAMC) for a position in the cafeteria and had been hired. "She said she had an appointment on Monday at 8 a.m. for a drug testing and was to start after that," said Schara.
Carla Mercer, Vice President of Planning and Marketing at RAMC, said Harrison had not been hired. "She did interview for the position, but she was not hired," said Mercer.
Mercer also said Harrison had not been scheduled for a drug test.
As of Thursday afternoon, the Juneau County Sheriff's Department had been informed that Harrison had a job interview coming up.
What To Do
If anyone has information regarding the disappearance of Crystal Faye Harrison, they are being asked to please call the Juneau County Sheriff's Office at 608-847-5649, or her family at 608-847-7433.
Relative of Harrison taken into police custody Friday

Jackie Schara's husband is Martin Schara, the brother of Crystal Harrison's birth mother, Leslie Nachtigal, who was shot by Dennis Nachtigal in 2001.
Friends of Harrison's said a man by the name of Francis Madere, 34, Mauston was also with Harrison the night of her disappearance.
Madere is the brother of Jackie Schara and lives with the Scharas, their son (who was on vacation with them in Mississippi), Crystal Harrison, and Harrison's seven month-old son.
Carla Susseck and Jessica Norwalk, friends of Harrison, said Madere had recently been taken into custody at the Juneau County Jail. Detective Tom Czys confirmed that Madere is in custody in the Juneau County Jail on unspecified charges.
Jackie Schara confirmed that Madere was also at the home the night of Harrison's disappearance. "Frankie lives with us," she said. She said Frankie told her he did not know anything about Harrison's disappearance. "When he woke up that morning, she was gone," she said.
Schara said Madere called Harrison's friends that morning in search of Harrison.
According to the Juneau County Sheriff's Department, a search for Harrison will begin on Aug. 6.

http://www.wiscnews.com/jcst/news/index.php?ntid=49603&ntpid=1#

Marisa714 said:
Carla Susseck and Jessica Norwalk, friends of Harrison, said Madere had recently been taken into custody at the Juneau County Jail. Detective Tom Czys confirmed that Madere is in custody in the Juneau County Jail on unspecified charges.
Jackie Schara confirmed that Madere was also at the home the night of Harrison's disappearance. "Frankie lives with us," she said. She said Frankie told her he did not know anything about Harrison's disappearance. "When he woke up that morning, she was gone," she said.
Schara said Madere called Harrison's friends that morning in search of Harrison.

I think something is up with "Frankie".

I agree "Frankie" certainly needs to be looked at closely. I am confused about the children she was watching. I know one of the children was hers. Who did the other 2 children belong to. It did not sound to me like they were the aunts and uncles. It said she was "house" sitting, it also said the other 2 children were her sisters. Also, this last article said "Frankie" found her gone in the morning and called her friends looking for her, but a previous article said that the children were found alone when the aunt returned from her vacation. Does that mean "Frankie" left those children there alone, when he knew Crystal was not there!

The remains have been identified as Crystal's, how sad for the family. I hope they catch SOB who did this to her and her family!

Juneau County Remains Identified

6:00 PM Aug 10, 2005
the human remains found in Juneau County have been identified.
Those remains do belong to 20–year old Crystal Harrison... who went missing more than a week ago.

Authorities tell us foul play is believed to be a factor in Harrison's disappearance.

The human remains were found on Saturday by Harrison's friends and family, just a mile away from the woman's home.

Harrison was babysitting her seven–month old son, as well as her niece and nephew when she disappeared.

Authorities say no charges have been filed... and they do not believe her disappearance was a random act.

http://nbc15.madison.com/home/headlines/1667711.html

This article says that the remains have NOT been positively identified yet. I definitely think this Frankie dude is responsible IMO

Posted on Wed, Aug. 10, 2005

Missing woman in Juneau County likely victim of foul play: sheriff

Associated Press

MAUSTON, Wis. - The Juneau County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday that a 20-year-old woman who disappeared over a week ago was likely the victim of foul play.

Human remains found Saturday in a wooded area in the Township of Summit about a mile from the home of the woman, Crystal Harrison, have not yet been identified as hers, the office said.

"Her disappearance was not a random act," it said in a statement. "It is our belief that foul play was involved."

Criminal charges are expected once the remains are identified through DNA testing, the office said.

Harrison, who had a 7-month-old son, was reported missing from her residence on July 31.

Francis Madere, 34, who was allegedly in the residence the night of Harrison's disappearance, is in custody after being arrested Tuesday on charges of being a felon possessing a firearm, said sheriff's Detective Tom Czys.

Authorities say Madere did not own the gun. It was not certain if the gun had been recently fired.

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsuperior/news/politics/12351843.htm

I'm a first time poster but I have been reading a lot over the last few months. I actually grew up in Mauston and have heard various stories in regards to this case from friends and family in the area. Although nothing has been confirmed in the media, friends have said that Crystal was coming into a trust fund at the end of the month when she turned 21. Rumor has it that the aunt had spent all of the money out of the fund (about 60,000 dollars). Also, friends have said that late last week there was a fire at the house that Crystal was staying at. I have also been unable to find anything about this in the media.

Here is the updated story from www.channel3000.com

Human Remains Identified As Those Of Missing Mother

POSTED: 12:10 pm CDT August 24, 2005

MAUSTON, Wis. -- Investigators have identified burned human remains found in Juneau County as those of a 20-year-old mother reported missing more than three weeks ago.

Juneau County Coroner Howard Fischer said the remains are those of Crystal Harrison. The positive identification was made using dental records.

District Attorney Scott Southworth said he expects to file charges in Harrison's death by the end of the week.

Harrison had a 7-month-old son and was reported missing July 31.

Friends and family found the remains about a week later in some woods about 1 mile from the rural Mauston home where Harrison lived with her aunt.

Sheriff Brent Oleson has said investigators believe foul play was involved in the disappearance.

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/news/4890885/detail.html

Human Remains Identified As Those Of Missing Mother

POSTED: 12:10 pm CDT August 24, 2005
MAUSTON, Wis. -- Investigators have identified burned human remains found in Juneau County as those of a 20-year-old mother reported missing more than three weeks ago.Juneau County Coroner Howard Fischer said the remains are those of Crystal Harrison. The positive identification was made using dental records.District Attorney Scott Southworth said he expects to file charges in Harrison's death by the end of the week.Harrison had a 7-month-old son and was reported missing July 31.Friends and family found the remains about a week later in some woods about 1 mile from the rural Mauston home where Harrison lived with her aunt.Sheriff Brent Oleson has said investigators believe foul play was involved in the disappearance.

Arrest Made In Mauston Woman's Death

POSTED: 7:53 pm CDT August 29, 2005
UPDATED: 6:06 am CDT August 30, 2005

MAUSTON, Wis. -- The Juneau County Sheriff's Department has arrested a person in connection with the killing of a young Mauston mother.

Sheriff's department officials said they would announce charges against the person Tuesday afternoon.

Crystal Harrison, 20, was last seen on July 29.

Her remains were found a week later a mile away from where she lived with her mother and aunt.

Those remains were not identified until last week.

Distributed by Internet Broadcasting Systems, Inc. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

www.channel3000.com

Police: Man Confesses To Hitting, Killing, Burning Girlfriend

Francis Xavier Madere Charged With 1st-Degree Murder

POSTED: 4:53 pm CDT August 30, 2005
UPDATED: 5:01 pm CDT August 30, 2005

Police in Juneau County said a Mauston man has confessed to murdering 20-year-old Crystal Harrison.

Francis Xavier Madere, 34, is charged with first-degree murder.

Police said Madera confessed to bludgeoning Harrison in a home they shared with Harrison's aunt and uncle in the town of Summit in Juneau County.

According to the criminal complaint, Madere and Harrison were arguing on the night of July 29 when Madere struck Harrison with a 10-pound ceramic rolling pin twice in head. He then slashed her throat and later burned her body and then buried it at a remote site.

"This incident shocks the conscience of everyone in Juneau County and beyond," said District Attorney Scott Southworth. "A young mother with an infant son lost her life in a brutal crime. The state will seek justice for her and her family."

Harrison is survived by a 7-month-old son, who is being cared for by family members.

Madera faces life in prison for the murder charge and two additional charges for both mutilating and hiding the body.

www.channel3000.com

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop