WI WI- Daniel Gerry Taylor, 21, Milwaukee, July 1967

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Now in Doe Network: https://www.doenetwork.org/cases/software/mp-main.html?id=6327DMCA

If he fled to Canada to avoid service in Vietnam, you'd think he would have gotten in touch with family after President Carter's 1977 pardons at the latest.

"Daniel had just been drafted into the Army and he told his family that he was going to Nebraska with a few friends and would return in a couple weeks. His family didn't know the friends. Daniel never returned.

Daniel's mom later received a postcard from Daniel sent from the World's Fair in Montreal, Canada. The fair was held from April to October in 1967. The FBI later took possession of the postcard, and the family doesn't recall when the card was sent.

In 1974, the DOJ closed Daniel's case. It was reopened in 2023."

This photo is on NamUs.

Demographics​

Missing Age20 Years
Current Age77 Years
Legal First Name Daniel
Middle NameGerry
Legal Last NameTaylor
Chosen Name/Nickname/AliasBoone or Red

Biological SexMale
Height5' 7" - 5' 10" (67 - 70 Inches)
Weight130 - 160 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Circumstances​

Date of Last ContactJuly 1, 1967
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 11, 2022

Last Known Location Map

LocationSan Francisco, California
CountySan Francisco County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of DisappearanceSister reports speaking to him in July of 1967. Said he was going to Nebraska with a few friends and would return in a few weeks and never returned.

Physical Description​

Hair ColorRed/Auburn
Head Hair DescriptionShort reddish hair
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--

Distinctive Physical Features​

Item
Description
Scar/mark
Scar under chin

Tattoo
tattoo on his left upper arm of a heart with a arrow and the word Mom

Attachments

• IMG_1797.jpeg
    IMG_1797.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 5
Why is the doe network saying he went missing from San Francisco but the title here says Wis?
I suspect it is because he was reported in Milwaukee. His parents lived in Wisconsin at Black River Falls and grandparents in Milwaukee, so he may have regarded there as home as he was born and raised in that state. Just to add that his DoB is 2 December 1946 and his mother and father are now deceased (his mother only dying in 2015).

based on the above we should consider wi, Nebraska, Montreal, and San Fran.
My dad went through San Fran for Vietnam in 1968. He’s 79. Are we sure he never ended up in nam? I guess they checked his social?

Daniel is listed in the May 14, 1969 edition of the Sheboygan Press in WI, under an article about federal grand jury indictments for draft law violations/failure to report for induction. He's listed as Daniel G Taylor, 23, formerly of Milwaukee.

If his hometown was in WI, I wonder why he was reported as missing from SF? Also noted that the agency in charge is based out of Humboldt County, which is about 4.5-5 hours NORTH of San Francisco ('major' city of Eureka)...

Did he make it out to SF? Why was he headed that way--was he supposed to go through the Oakland Induction Center as his draft number was called up? Did he second guess following the draft and decide to head north to check out the redwoods?

Are the Nebraska story and subsequent Canadian postcard just red herrings, as the immediate thought I had was draft dodging into Canada, using the Nebraska detail as a ploy to send family/military law enforcement looking in the wrong direction?

Finally, could this unidentified person be him? Typical height for males wearing a size 10 shoe is between 5'6"-5'10", which falls in line with Daniel's height. The age range would be correct. This Finger Canyon John Doe was also found with a fragmentary draft card near his remains.

Quebec has no unidentified listed prior to 1980. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any, I guess, just not online. I am usually leery of sending suggestions for people way out of the range of where they should be, but that’s because NamUs has gotten a lot less helpful through the years and people tend to resent suggestions. If you want to submit. That’s understandable.

So usually when you got called up you’d do basic stateside then after you get sent to San Francisco to take the plane to Vietnam. I don’t know if this kid did basic or not. If he was just drafted, he would have been off to the basic training camps, not San Francisco, so I wonder where that came from. I still like Canada for this based on the postcard.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elementpro
Back