WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Eve...you can look back thru the thread / timeline for links but it has been said there was no lights on in the basement. Whether the basement door was open or not, I seem to recall it was not. The police theory is that perp came thru basement window, walked right up the stairs, opened the door, and by turning right he could walk into the living room area where Evie was. Dr. Hartley also entered the house thru the basement window. There was a stepladder under the window now, Evies shoe at the bottom of the stairs and a large amount of blood. This was a new housing development and it was muddy in everyone's yard as the grass had not come in. LE could see that someone had gone around to several houses that night, trying to get into homes by pry marks on windows. I don't recall ever reading about mud/dirt being found anywhere else or they could have assumed that when Dr. Hartley came in thru the basement, he would also have brought mud in.

Do anybody realize that next Saturday will be October 24, the exact day that Evelyn when missing 62 years ago.

There are a number of suspects mentioned on this thread, and in reality, any of them could be the perpetrator. However I wanted to point out some issues with Evelyn's father.

Mr Ramussen picked up Evelyn and brought her to their house.
6.45pm the Ramussens left
7pm Evelyn put baby in crib as directed
7.15pm Evelyn was supposed to cover the baby, but the baby was uncovered
7.15pm a neighbour heard three screams that may, or may not have been Evelyn
7.30pm The Ramussens were supposed to have left at 6.30pm, and Evelyn was supposed to phone her parents after an hour of being there. So this is the time Evelyn would have phones.
9:05pm Her father was worried that she hadn't called and started to call her then
9.10pm Father got to the Rasmusen home around now
9:10, knocked on the doors with no answer, then walked around and could see the living room was in disarray and could clearly see her glasses smashed on the floor as well as on her shoes. He said that he then went around the home and tried to open every window but couldnt because they all had new storm windows that locked from the inside. After this he says he noticed the basement window was broken so he decided to climb through the window, then looked in the rooms and found the baby sleeping but no Evelyn - then ran out of the home to the house directly across the street and 911 was called
9:49pm was when the call to the police was logged

Unless the mother covered up for her Husband in terms of when he left her, it is quite clear that the father could not have been responsible for stopping Evelyn covering up the baby. But:

1. What was Evelyn's father doing for 39 minutes? That is a long time.
2. Why did he go through the basement window? That seems a strange thing to do. He looked through the living room window and was concerned, why not phone the police then?
3. Why did he not take the baby with him when he left? In theory the attackers could still be around and take the baby. Unless he knew the baby was safe?
4. Why did he think some of the blood was Evelyn's menstrual blood? Unless some of it was used to create false "clues" and he knew this?
5. Why do the family refuse to give DNA? Unless they suspect their father had some involvement, and at this late stage, prefer to leave well alone.

I wonder if some of the scene was staged. I also wonder if the dumped clothes were connected at all, or if they were dumped to provide false clues? It seems strange that when her body was so well hidden, clothes were dumped in a place where they could easily be found. Also strange that when entry was supposedly through the basement, the only muddy footprint was in the living room.

This case hasn't been solved I suspect because there is so much that simply doesn't make sense. Nowadays the police would be closely questioning her father to get answers to the above questions.

Interesting summation Ruth but I would doubt that Evelyn's father did it. What motive unless there was something between them that she had threatened to expose and there is no evidence of that. Also, Evelyn was a "woman sized" girl so I would expect that a single male attacker would be marked up with bruises and scratches.

I am not saying her father kidnapped and killed her. But the gaps in his story make me wonder if he is being totally honest. I don't know why he would lie.

And his children don't need to know he killed Evelyn. They simply need to suspect he might have been involved, to refuse to give DNA. After all the father is long dead. Why stir everything up if you are not totally sure your father is totally innocent?

There are too many questions here that we will probably never know the answer to. Unless a body is found and forensics can be used, I doubt this will ever be solved.

I am uneasy about the death bed confession where Evelyn is described as having a wild side. Surely if this was true someone else would have already said this?

To answer two of the above questions, why didnt Evelyns father go call police as soon as he saw the glasses, and why didnt he take the baby...

If I was worried about my 15 yr old, and I saw her glasses on the floor and obvious problems in the room, I would not leave and go make a call either. I can see why he kept looking for her. Maybe she needed him right then and leaving to call would be a mistake. I am sure his heart was beating hard.

Why would he climb in the basement window? Desperation?

As for leaving the baby, imo, he was probably focused totally on his own 'baby' at the time and was in a panic state. He had to know by then it was serious. But it was his daughter that was missing and was the target.

The timeline does not make sense if it was the father that was the perp. Why were there screams at 7:15--Dad was not there at that time. And why didnt she call home if Dad was the perp? He did not arrive until after 9 pm.

I don't think he has any involvement other than going over when he became concerned. I totally understand why the younger relatives refused to give their DNA. I think that sometimes the younger relatives watch how much horrible pain, grief and stress their parents and grandparents went through. And sometimes they just want to let it go and move on. JMO

ruth21 Evelyn parents were not at the game. And like you a lot of things still puzzle me about this case I just finish reading the book Where's Evelyn? Like why not blood going thought the living room leading to the door of the basement or why no drops of blood or dirt on the stairs going down to the basement?

So the only witness Evelyn's father has for the time he left the house, is his wife?
I wish we knew why police had ruled him out as a suspect. He certainly had the opportunity to kill Evelyn, whether by mistake or on purpose.

Sorry to pop into the conversation, I do follow Evelyn's thread, just not a regular poster.

Evelyn's father did have the opportunity to kill her, by mistake or on purpose. So did almost anyone else within a fifty mile range.

Why would he bother to abduct his own daughter from a colleague's house? Why not just kill her any of 1,000 other, more convenient, less risky times? Like when his wife went to the grocery store or to her job or to play bridge or super early in the morning?

Also, what would his motive be? What am I missing? Did he kill someone else or was he inappropriate with Evelyn?

Sorry to pop into the conversation, I do follow Evelyn's thread, just not a regular poster.

Evelyn's father did have the opportunity to kill her, by mistake or on purpose. So did almost anyone else within a fifty mile range.

Why would he bother to abduct his own daughter from a colleague's house? Why not just kill her any of 1,000 other, more convenient, less risky times? Like when his wife went to the grocery store or to her job or to play bridge or super early in the morning?

Also, what would his motive be? What am I missing? Did he kill someone else or was he inappropriate with Evelyn?

He may have killed her by accident. We don't know what his motive would be, but we know very little about the family and the dynamics.

Whether he killed her or not, there are too many unexplained factors in his statements. And too many physical factors at the scene that don't make sense. I think there was some staging at the scene. And I don't think Evelyn's father has been truthful in his statements.

How do you think he killed her by accident?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may have killed her by accident. We don't know what his motive would be, but we know very little about the family and the dynamics.

Whether he killed her or not, there are too many unexplained factors in his statements. And too many physical factors at the scene that don't make sense. I think there was some staging at the scene. And I don't think Evelyn's father has been truthful in his statements.

How can we blame him for the unexplained physical factors or staging? It's is logical to conclude the killer is responsible for those things, but it doesn't move us any closer to (or farther from) bent the perpetrator.

But his statements not adding up? That is attributable to him. I have not read the questionable statements. What did he say that didn't seem quite right?

I’m a lifelong La Crosse resident who’s had on and off interest in the case ever since my mom told me about it over 25 years ago. After reading all of your insightful posts, here are my thoughts based on the original Tribune articles I found and read. I did not read Sue Hessel's book.

1. The father had absolutely nothing to do with it. It doesn’t add up. What motive? Why then?
2. Ed Gein had nothing to do with it. It just seems too convenient to associate the notorious killer with her abduction. Not really his MO anyway.
3. The theory that two abductors were involved makes the most sense. I believe Evelyn did not know her abductors. One forced her through the basement window while the other pulled her from outside. Eyewitness account of two men and her.
4. A lot has been made about why they didn’t take her out the door, why the window? I believe after her three screams (confirmed by more than one neighbor), they probably thought that might have drawn attention to the house. Ducking out of a low window close the ground and out of sight makes sense in case anyone was looking at the house.
5. Remember, all doors and windows were locked except that one basement window which Rasmusen said was warped from rain and couldn’t be locked.
6. I believe one abductor let the other in through the front or side door. One had more mud on his shoes than the other. Two abductors also explains the discrepancy in shoe size and jacket size (items found on HWY 14). Just and FYI: Evelyn's underwear was found under a viaduct in south La Crosse on the way out to HWY 14, not on HWY 14 by the shoes.
7. I believe the items they wore were heavily used, and don’t give much credence to the steeplejack theory. That jacket could have been used by a previous owner who left the marks on the jacket. Same with the shoes, but the mud and prints match that by the Rasmusen house.
8. Because prints and pry marks were found on other neighboring houses, I believe they were burglars who, once seeing Evelyn through the window (which was in back of house), made other plans.
9. I think one perp stayed with Evelyn by the house where the blood pooled into the window well while the other perp ran to get the car to pick them up on Coulee Dr. (where the dogs got the last scent of her)
10. I give a lot of credence to the “La Farge” tapes. I read the transcripts of the conversation. Clyde “Tywee” Peterson was not boasting. He was very matter of fact, almost reluctant talking about it. Why talk that way if it’s just a hoax?
11. Does anyone know what they mean on the La Farge tapes when they talk about bringing Evelyn back to La Crosse?
12. I don’t understand why there is no DNA follow up with the La Farge suspects. This lead seemingly went nowhere. Why? What was ruled out? Very poor reporting/follow up on this important discovery.

Tidbits:

1. The Hartley’s moved to Oregon in 1960
2. The Rasmusen’s moved to 21[SUP]st[/SUP] St. shortly after the abduction and barred the basement windows.
3. The investigator La Crosse hired a year after the abduction (A.M. Josephson) committed suicide in Mpls not too long after being let go in La Crosse
4. I was having a drink at the Mirage Bar on the south side of La Crosse about ten years ago. I struck up a conversation with an older couple who said they lived on Hoeschler Dr. I asked, jokingly “Oh, do you live by the Rasmusen house?” Their reply “No, we live in the Rasmusen house” My jaw dropped.
She claims all the basement windows were resized smaller.

Summary:

I believe, based on the very limited information and evidence available, the most probable explanation is that the LaFarge trio lead by Clyde “Tywee” Peterson abducted and killed Evelyn Hartley. Hwy 14 is on the route where the shoes/jacket were found.There is a taped confession that to me doesn’t seem logically fabricated.I think she is buried somewhere in the vast farmland around Viola, south of La Farge. Bodies of the three deceased suspects should be exhumed and examined with any DNA from evidence gathered, which is still stored in the evidence shed in La Crosse.

Here is a map I made of the spot where Mr. X (the eyewitness) was in relation to where Evelyn was spotted with the two men (supposedly).
attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture0001.jpg
    Picture0001.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 483
Here is a map I made of the spot where Mr. X (the eyewitness) was in relation to where Evelyn was spotted with the two men (supposedly).
attachment.php

If the eyewitness didn't know her extremely well....at that distance i would say a massive 'supposedly' ...jmo.

Yeah, looks like about 400' and at night. I would think it would even be difficult telling whether people were male or female under those conditions.

Just commenting to bump it up as I just discovered this case, poor girl, I think its too far out there for her to be the target, it had to either be wrong place at wrong time, or the original babysitter was the target.
If they wanted Evelyn it seems odd to wait til she goes babysitting somewhere. But the pry marks on the neighbours houses also seems to suggest they were just trying to break into any house and Evelyn was just there. I also think maybe it was just a robbery gone wrong and they didnt expect her to be there, unless they were looking in the windows and saw her in there alone and decided to get her. They would have to have seen the lights and music on though but I guess they could have thought the owners did that to deter burglars.
God knows why they took her out the basement window, but as suggested previously it could just be that they thought her screams disturbed neighbours and it might have been more covered to go out that window then the front door and risk being seen.
There is so much evidence in this case, Im so sad it didnt happen sooner to DNA being able to be tested properly, all the items of clothing found and there would be fingerprints around the window
It really does sound like 2 people did this, most likely young.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maktub
Back