WI WI/IL - Richard Otto Macek serial killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
thank you Mr. TT I hadn't noticed the freckles until you mentioned it. Since you did, I also notice there is what looks like a birth mark on the left cheek (our right) in both the sketch and Maceks photo. Definately worth further research!

Ok, I found the thread for Betsy Aardsma's case along with the post which has a link for the sketch you posted above Mr. TT.

Here is the link to the individual post.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5590101&postcount=23"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Betsy Aardsma Murder, Penn State 11/28/1969 - Part 2[/ame]

From the link in the above post. Which has the composite Mr. TT copied over and did the side by side next to Macek.

http://www.whokilledbetsy.org/composites.html

I am going to link this post in Betsy's thread as well.

I think we should discuss Macek as a possible POI in Betsy's thread (to keep things organized and in one place. We can research/discuss in Betsy's thread.) I'll need to catch up on Betsy's case of course.

5660618041_9966ef5e58_z.jpg
5659236643_8e611dcdf0_z.jpg

richard%20macek%20resized%204.jpg
5659236643_8e611dcdf0_z.jpg

Good Grief! The newspaper picture and sketch look like zodiac :eek:
I know he wasn't but it's freaky. Dose anyone else see it? Anyway I got a couple of e mail RE: Macek a JR high school picture and a diary entry which I forwarded to Cubby.I think she being in the Chi town area can sleuth this better than I could.

rpipergirl, lucky' added a link with the JH photo of Macek upthread.

The diary entry you forwarded was in one of those older autograph books. Not sure if you recall them, but I remember in grade school and JH they were the in thing to have. (I think I brought mine to Disney as a kid so I could get all the disney characters autographs).

Anyhoo, I'm not that technically inclined but will try and add the autograph pic by early next week - if Lucky hasn't gotten a copy too and added it. If for nothing else, it might help LE with comparisons of ROM's handwriting - if anything like that exists for evidence in some old CC.

I noticed the simliarity to the Zodiac as well...... odd, but I don't think ROM was the Zodiac. The more I look at the comparison between the freckles/birth marks in ROM's photo the more matches I am finding to the sketch! :eek:

I read over the composite for Betsy's murder. ROM was not 6 ft tall. If he was 5'8" or 5'9" that was it. There were alot of unsolved murders at University in MI back then. I always thought he could have a hand in the ones were a gun was not involved. But have not throughly researched them to draw any comparison. Look at the sketch for the Valerie Percy murder. Similiar but a little thinner face. Which weight gain or loss could do. I also posted a link to an older pix of ROM and his face is thinner. Sorry I did not know how to post it directly on the thread. If someone would give me instructions how to do it I will be happy to.

I don't know how to add the pic to the thread without copying and pasting it..... The way you are posting the links now are fine too Lucky. I actually like the way you are doing it because with one link we can review/view everything on Macek in that 'file'.

thanks!

Yes,Cubby, I have a set of really old ones from a man in his 80's. He made me promise to finish filling the 2nd one. I don't think he's Zodiac either I just thought the resemblance was spooky. We need a good timeline for his movements. TY to whomever sent me the picture and entry.

I was told by spark134 who sent us the pictures that those were the dates they were given by their 'teacher' or whoever that they had to pass the autograph book around and get it signed by. Does that make sense? So why ROM put those dates down is beyond me.

I was told by spark134 who sent us the pictures that those were the dates they were given by their 'teacher' or whoever that they had to pass the autograph book around and get it signed by. Does that make sense? So why ROM put those dates down is beyond me.

Oh ok so the first date was the date the book was given and the 2nd was the date ROM signed it. I got it. TY,Luckymanuh.

I can see two immediate problems linking him to the Aardsma Case.

1. Macek was 5'4" inches (at least later 190 pounds).

http://www.skcentral.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4076

2. He was 17 years old at the time. I think the man in the composite is older.

Also, Chicago to State College is a pretty big trip and the MO's don't match.

I've got to admit to gasping when I saw the photo.

ROM was born in the late 40's. 1947 IIRC. (the tombstone year is inaccurate) He was 18 or 19 in 1966 when Debbie Fijan was murdered. He would have been in his early 20's ( I think 21 or 22) when the murder occured in PA. I do agree the MO's don't match and the hts are off. ROM was a truck driver so location might not be limited to the IL/WI area.

IIRC ROM was known to be in CA at one point. Lucky would likely recall better than I... and I may be recalling someone else.

The 6 foot 185 pound description came from
witnesses that got a brief glance at the person.
The image in this thread came from the desk clerk
whom seen him leave the library.

Did he give the same physical description as the others?
As far as height and weight?

I am going to send it to a Penn paper regardless if it
is a match or not. Perhaps it will bring some new
awareness/exposure to the case.

I also included the dark image.
To show LE what this person would look like
wearing a ski mask, in case there were any unsolved cases
in the area, from the time, where witnesses gave a description of someone
wearing a ski mask and perhaps glasses.

I don't think this guy killed Aardsma, but there is a similarity in the looks, and it doesn't hurt to check. If you PM me I can give you the email for the PA State Trooper on the Aardsma case, if you want it.

The 6 foot 185 pound description came from
witnesses that got a brief glance at the person.
The image in this thread came from the desk clerk
whom seen him leave the library.

Did he give the same physical description as the others?
As far as height and weight?

I am going to send it to a Penn paper regardless if it
is a match or not. Perhaps it will bring some new
awareness/exposure to the case.

I also included the dark image.
To show LE what this person would look like
wearing a ski mask, in case there were any unsolved cases
in the area, from the time, where witnesses gave a description of someone
wearing a ski mask and perhaps glasses.

Definitely a strong resemblance.

The age appears to be correct. The truck driver would explain him being in the area. Weight can fluctuate, even by 25-50 pounds. The only thing that doesn't match is an 8" height difference. The witnesses might have gotten it wrong.

Yes, I think you should send it out.

ROM born 3-15-1947, died 3-2-1987. He did not want to be 40 yrs old and still in prison.
I know he was a machinist, it was always speculated he was a truck driver local or over the road I do know.
He was in CA when he skip bail and fled. WI Special Agent Tomoselli found him and went and got him. I always wonder even though it was a short time he was there if he killed anyone there. Being his killings were rage driven.

Found this link on Macek:

http://prezi.com/27fyxqayqdo9/richard-otto-macek-the-mad-bitter/

For some reason it doesn't include the 1968 rape in Elmwood Park, IL. I wish we could find more info on that 1968 case.

It amazes me LE in some jurisdiction hasn't tried to obtain a DNA profile for Macek. I suspect it might answer some other unsolved cold cases.

I have wanted to find more on that assault also. I even called the Elmwood Park Library to see if they have copies of the old newspapers from back then but they don't.

I wonder if the Harold Washington Library in Chicago would have it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn
Back