Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *14yo charged* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
VFSSNGGFMRG4LKF7XHMW7IMJPY.jpg

Chippewa Falls Police Department

Chippewa Falls police searching for missing child

CHIPPEWA FALLS, Wis. (WEAU) - The Chippewa Falls Police Department is searching for a missing child.

10-year-old Iliana M. Peters, who goes by the name Lily, a fourth grader at Parkview Elementary School, was reported missing Sunday at 9 p.m. by her father.

Peters’ father said she did not return home after visiting her aunt’s house on the 400 block of North Grove Street. She was last seen by family members Sunday evening. Peters was supposed to be heading home to the 50 block of East Birch Street, but she wasn’t found in the area. Her bike was found after dark near her aunt’s home near the walking trail between the end of North Grove Street and the Leinenkugel’s Brewery parking lot.

Peters was last seen wearing a purple quarter-zip long-sleeve shirt with black stretch pants and gray shoes.

K9 teams from the Chippewa County Sheriff’s Department and Lake Hallie Police Department were called in to search the area last night. The Chippewa County Sheriff’s Department also used a drone to search the woods near the area Peters went missing. Meanwhile, Chippewa Falls Police investigators continued to follow-up with family and friends who might have information.

Currently, the incident does not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert, according to the Chippewa Falls Police Department, who said they contacted the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation.

Anyone with information about Peters’ whereabouts is asked to contact the Chippewa County Dispatch Center at 715-726-7701 and select Option 1.

Mod Note after clean up:

• Rumors and gossip are NOT allowed on WS. If you read it on Facebook, leave it on Facebook.\

• Unless LE indicates that an individual is a POI/suspect, that individual is OFF LIMITS to sleuthing and speculation. Please keep your suspicions to yourself.
    • WS holds to a "victim friendly" policy, so the above applies even more strongly to family members, who in most cases are innocent, and suffering terribly when their loved one is missing or murdered. The last thing we want to do is add to their pain. Therefore, they always are granted the benefit of the doubt.
    • Brainstorming theories is encouraged, but must be based on fact. For our purposes, "fact" refers to information published in the mainstream media (MSM) or other acceptable sources, such as academic and professional publications.
    • When you state something as "fact", you must back it up with a link to an approved source.
    • If you can't link it, you can't post it.
    • Social media is a nightmare in terms of rumors. You can summarize information from an original post on a LE or MSM FB page. No copy and paste, no screenshots, and you must include link.
    • Comments and posts by the general public are considered rumor, and therefore, off limits. Again, leave them where you find them.
    • Mods have the right to edit and delete posts at their discretion if deemed inappropriate, or in violation of TOS. Complaints, questions and concerns should be addressed in a private message to a mod or admin. DO NOT post them in the thread.
    • If at any time, you have questions or need assistance, the mod team is happy to help you. Please use the pm system to contact us.

ADMIN NOTE:

Public sleuthing of the unidentified minor and/or family members is not allowed. It is a distinct violation of basic Websleuths TOS and members who do so are subject to Time Outs.

Post accordingly.

ADMIN NOTE:

By law, this youth can NOT be identified and even if his identity was known, WS rules are that his family can NOT be sleuthed.

Please stop with the posts hinting at the above that are designed to encourage sleuthing out information that is not permitted in this discussion. Members who continue to do so will be either thread banned or issued Time Out.

ADMIN NOTE:

We are all struggling to understand this tragedy. For some it has been helpful to mention other cases that seem similar, in an attempt to find some sort of sense in such a senseless and unspeakable crime. Websleuths understands that need to try to draw comparisons, to see patterns, to make predictions and somehow stop this from happening ever again.

This thread’s focus is Lily, and her stolen life. If we veer too far into other cases, we can lose the focus Lily deserves in her thread. When the discussion becomes a challenge to remember which case is being referred to, we may have to begin to remove some posts as off topic. Please know it is not a heavy-handed action on moderators’ part, but instead a gentle nudge to keep our attention in this thread on precious Lily.

THANK YOU for your understanding and support in helping us do that!

The MSM (Daily Mail) just posted an article identifying the suspect by name as well as information about his father––since the MSM is covering it, are we allowed to post the article in here?

No. If an MSM source decides to breach a court order or WS rules, it is not allowed. The DM may not care and may have the financial resources to get into a contempt of court legal kerfuffle, but WS and its owner do not have those same resources and have no desire to do so.

In future, if you have a question, please use the Report feature to enquire rather than posting it on the public thread.

ADMIN NOTE:

Some TOs have been issued for members who have chosen to ignore the Admin Note posted earlier in this thread about sleuthing family.

Also, a massive thread cleanup was required. If you think we've missed some, please Report them.

We don't like to do this, and usually don't have to, but until further notice, the Daily Mail is no longer an approved source in this discussion.

If you have questions, do not ask them on this public thread. Use the Report feature to enquire.

Also note: WS rules have been established for many, many years and they do not change unless for some reason a case specific exception is made by Tricia or Admin. If/when that ever happens, we will post to that effect on the thread. Please do not message us insinuating that WS is no longer victim friendly.

Thank you.

We have also removed references to any possible relationship between the victim and the alleged youth offender. Such discussion can only lead to sleuthing and discussion that is not permitted under TOS.

Thread has reopened.

Extensive discussion of *advertiser censored* has been removed as it is not known to be a precipitating factor in Iliana's murder.

Unless there is MSM or another approved source to support that family members are somehow responsible for what a perpetrator does, that discussion / speculative opinion is off limits.

From The Rules: Etiquette & Information

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but
do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

I forgot the reverse petition to send the case to juvenile court has still not been heard. This from November 1, 2022:

By WEAU Staff
Published: Nov. 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM PDT

CHIPPEWA COUNTY, Wis. (WEAU)- Court documents show the Chippewa County district attorney is requesting a status conference in the case of the teenage boy accused of killing 10-year-old Iliana “Lily” Peters.

Currently, the next hearing in the case isn’t scheduled until Aug. of 2023.
In a letter to Judge Steven Gibbs, District Attorney Wade Newell states, “The state requests that the matter be set for a scheduling conference to determine if the Reverse Waiver Hearing can be set for earlier dates.” The letter goes on to state, “Both parents of the victims have reached out to the State requesting that the Reverse Waiver Hearing be set for an earlier date.”

In response to Newell’s’ request, in a letter to Judge Steven Gibbs, Defense Attorney Michael Cohen states in part quote, “I want to make sure that the Court is aware that the District Attorney’s Office, my office, and your office scheduled the Hearing together. This was the soonest date available on the calendar of all parties at the time.”

The letter goes on to state, " I can tell the Court that I do not have any time available to have this matter rescheduled to any date sooner. I am already booked with trials into 2024.”

Someone posted on this thread the other day - so I looked up his case in the court site. I do have 8/7/23 as his next hearing - but they have stuck that telephone scheduling hearing for yesterday, 1/9/23. That is why I posted my stuff. I guess the Defense lawyer had time to get on the phone with everyone. I do have the next hearing on 8/7/23 thru 8/11/23 & 8/14/23.

Last edited:

CHIPPEWA FALLS — The next court hearing for the 14-year-old boy accused of killing 10-year-old Lily Peters last April in Chippewa Falls will not be moved up.

Chippewa County Judge Steve Gibbs held a scheduling conference Monday morning with both attorneys about the next court dates in the murder case. Ultimately, Gibbs left the existing court dates in place. The next court date is set for Aug. 7 and slated to last five days. At the meeting Monday, the attorneys opted to add a sixth day to that court hearing to make sure they finish resolving all issues, said Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell.

It is so frustrating that the next hearing is not until August. I live in the area (about 12 miles from where the murder occurred), it has really shaken the entire community, a very disturbing case all the way around. I truly hope this stays in adult court. C.P.-B. has a very, very experienced criminal defense attorney who is well-known in the area (a paralegal friend of mine has told me this attorney is "the best"), I hope the prosecution is well-prepared and experienced.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

The kid is a psychopath, sometimes they’re born and sometimes they’re created.

IMO There is no fixing him. God help whoever crosses his path in the future, when he’s released.
Sorry I am so late posting on here. Agree with you. But, wanted to comment... such a disturbing case, and IMO, in this case, not born this way but created, due to environment.

It is so frustrating that the next hearing is not until August. I live in the area (about 12 miles from where the murder occurred), it has really shaken the entire community, a very disturbing case all the way around. I truly hope this stays in adult court. C.P.-B. has a very, very experienced criminal defense attorney who is well-known in the area (a paralegal friend of mine has told me this attorney is "the best"), I hope the prosecution is well-prepared and experienced.
^^bbm

I completely agree about defense attorney Michael Cohen!

We are trial lawyers, nothing else. We prepare every case with the mentality and attitude that the case may go trial. This advanced preparation approach consistently pays off regardless if the case goes to trial. We are always more prepared than the prosecution.

We have successfully handled thousands of criminal cases, ranging from misdemeanors to Homicide. Cohen Law Offices does not shy away from difficult cases.

^^bbm

I completely agree about defense attorney Michael Cohen!

We are trial lawyers, nothing else. We prepare every case with the mentality and attitude that the case may go trial. This advanced preparation approach consistently pays off regardless if the case goes to trial. We are always more prepared than the prosecution.

We have successfully handled thousands of criminal cases, ranging from misdemeanors to Homicide. Cohen Law Offices does not shy away from difficult cases.

I have one comment to make on what the OP bolded....

Ugh.

Sometimes the best lawyer will still not get them off... A confession like this will be insurmountable. The "best defense attorney" may not make a difference.

Sometimes the best lawyer will still not get them off... A confession like this will be insurmountable. The "best defense attorney" may not make a difference.

I truly don't believe Michael Cohen, a respected member of the community, is seeking to get his 14-year-old client "off," per se.

IMO, the defense is not throwing out the SODDI defense, the real killer is still out there, and his client must be acquitted of this horrific crime.

Instead, what I believe Cohen is working hard at is trying to move his client's case from adult court to juvenile court. Important to note that Wisconsin works in reverse of many other states where other states must petition to charge the juvenile as an adult. Here, the juvenile is already set to be charged as an adult per statute.

I believe the defense will have months of observation (since arrest) ready to present during the petition hearing along with numerous professional opinions about a juvenile with a tragic background/upbringing. The burden is on the defense to prove the defendant's case should be sent to juvenile court. JMO

I truly don't believe Michael Cohen, a respected member of the community, is seeking to get his 14-year-old client "off," per se.

IMO, the defense is not throwing out the SODDI defense, the real killer is still out there, and his client must be acquitted of this horrific crime.

Instead, what I believe Cohen is working hard at is trying to move his client's case from adult court to juvenile court. Important to note that Wisconsin works in reverse of many other states where other states must petition to charge the juvenile as an adult. Here, the juvenile is already set to be charged as an adult per statute.

I believe the defense will have months of observation (since arrest) ready to present during the petition hearing along with numerous professional opinions about a juvenile with a tragic background/upbringing. The burden is on the defense to prove the defendant's case should be sent to juvenile court. JMO

The public clearly does not want him treated as a juvenile.

IMO, he acted as an adult, he needs to pay the price like one.

I don't think a judge is going to change the plan for adult prosecution. JMO

The public clearly does not want him treated as a juvenile.

IMO, he acted as an adult, he needs to pay the price like one.

I don't think a judge is going to change the plan for adult prosecution. JMO

Seems the residents of WI made this known long ago when state legislators made it law that adult court is the original jurisdiction for all persons ten years or over who attempt or commit intentional homicide.

For a state where for purposes of criminal prosecution, a juvenile is defined as under age 17* and the adult court can be deemed the original jurisdiction for minors as young as age 10, I'm looking forward to the petition hearing to learn how the WI law works.

What's not clear to me is that if the minor protests the Juvenile waiver (as in this case), does the district attorney have to present evidence and relevant testimony to prove their position for adult court jurisdiction, or is the burden solely on the minor defendant?

Juvenile Justice Code (ch. 938, Stats.)
“Juvenile” does not include a person who has attained the age of 17 years for purposes of criminal prosecution. The court of criminal jurisdiction (hereinafter, “adult court”) has jurisdiction over a 17-year old who is alleged to have committed a crime.

In comparison to most states, Wisconsin is an odd duck with juvenile proceedings.

Wisconsin Statutes section 938.183(1)(am) gives the adult court jurisdiction over all persons ten years or over who attempted or committed first-degree intentional homicide (“Class A” felony), first-degree reckless homicide (“Class B” felony), or second-degree intentional homicide (“Class B” felony).

11/30/22

[..]

In Wisconsin, children and teens can automatically be charged in adult court, depending on their age and the severity of what they are accused of doing.

Many other states have moved to limit trying children in adult courts, recognizing a child’s brain has not fully developed.

Here's what to know about Wisconsin's juvenile criminal laws:

When are children and teens charged in adult court?​

In Wisconsin, everyone age 17 and older automatically is charged in adult court. The state is one of only three that require all 17-year-old defendants to be charged as adults.

State law also requires children as young as 10 to be charged as adults for certain serious crimes, at least to start the case. Those crimes include first-degree intentional homicide, first-degree reckless homicide and attempted first-degree intentional homicide.

Lesser charges, such as attempted first-degree reckless homicide or attempted second-degree intentional homicide, start in juvenile court.

What's the difference between adult and juvenile court?​

Adult court carries much longer terms of confinement than juvenile court, which focuses on rehabilitation and offers more services.

State law also offers more privacy protections to children and teens charged in juvenile court and allows for the withholding of defendants' names to the public. In adult court, a defendant's identity is made public with the issuing of charges.

If a case starts in adult court, can it be moved back to juvenile court?​

Yes, and that process is called a "reverse waiver."

To successfully move a case from adult to juvenile court, a juvenile must prove three things:

• They cannot get adequate treatment in the adult system;
  • Moving the case to juvenile court would not "depreciate the seriousness of the offense;"
  • And staying in adult court is not necessary to deter other children from similar offenses.
[..]

What are some examples in Wisconsin of children being charged with homicide or attempted homicide?​

In 2014, two 12-year-old girls were charged as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide in the stabbing of a classmate. The girls told police they were trying to appease Slender Man, a fictional internet character they believed could kill them or their families.

Despite efforts to get their cases moved to the juvenile system, both girls were tried as adults. Both were found not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect and were committed to secure mental-health treatment centers. One of the girls has since been released and will remain under community supervision by the state until she is 37.

[..]

How unusual is it for a young child to be charged with homicide?​

In 2018, a criminologist from Northeastern University told the Associated Press there were only 44 children age 10 or younger who were believed to be responsible for homicides in the U.S. from 2007 to 2016.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back