Found Deceased WI - Iliana Lily Peters, 10, left aunt's, didn't arr hm, bike fnd, Chippewa Falls, 24 Apr 22, *14yo charged* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What are his chances of being a non-repeat offender if he is tried in juvenile court and receives mental health counseling, education, etc? Does anyone know off hand the success rate nationwide of these types of cases?

What are his chances of being a non-repeat offender if he is tried in juvenile court and receives mental health counseling, education, etc? Does anyone know off hand the success rate nationwide of these types of cases?

I don't, it would be fantastic to think that he could be rehabilitated and become a safe, functioning member of society, but with his family history and the fact that he planned what he die, and left the house with Lily with the sole intention of raping and murdering her, I fear that his mind is already broken, and his preferences set. Paraphilias aren't easily redirected, if they can be at all, they are a part of someone, I guess it's more about whether they can find ways not to act on it, which I imagine is extremely unlikely in the long term.
I am not a professional though, and this is JMO.

I don't, it would be fantastic to think that he could be rehabilitated and become a safe, functioning member of society, but with his family history and the fact that he planned what he die, and left the house with Lily with the sole intention of raping and murdering her, I fear that his mind is already broken, and his preferences set. Paraphilias aren't easily redirected, if they can be at all, they are a part of someone, I guess it's more about whether they can find ways not to act on it, which I imagine is extremely unlikely in the long term.
I am not a professional though, and this is JMO.
I agree wholeheartedly.

I linked this March 2023 report in the last thread and although statistical success rates are not cited, it provides a good explanation of why juvenile detention/incarceration fails to foster positive behavior change or desist from repeat delinquency.

First, the report provides that most violent offenders such as C.P.B. are not sentenced to juvenile facilities and therefore not recipients of rehabilitation, mental health counseling, etc., for statistical sampling due to respective state laws across the country that enable violent youth offenders to be prosecuted in adult court. Wisconsin is a perfect example-- given WI Statute actually provides for 10-year old's to be prosecuted as adults!

Given most youth who are incarcerated in juvenile facilities are not charged with violent offenses, research makes it increasingly clear that young people’s ability to desist from delinquent behavior is tied to their progress in developing “psychosocial maturity,” including the abilities to control impulses, delay gratification, weigh the consequences of their actions, consider other people’s perspectives, and resist peer pressure. Research finds that incarceration slows young people’s psychological maturation – exactly the opposite of what’s needed to foster positive behavior change and promote desistance from delinquency.

Part 1
of the report provides a detailed review of the research showing that incarceration does not work: it cites extensive evidence finding that incarcerating youth does not reduce the likelihood that they will break the law again. Rates of recidivism (re-arrests, new convictions or adjudications, or subsequent incarcerations) are high, and research studies consistently show that youth who are incarcerated reoffend at rates equal to or higher than those of youth with comparable backgrounds and offense histories who remain at home. The evidence also shows that incarceration worsens educational and career outcomes and does lasting damage to young people’s health and wellbeing. Finally, abuse and maltreatment are widespread in facilities where youth are incarcerated, and racial and ethnic disparities are pervasive.

Part 2 examines two key reasons why incarceration fails. First, it describes how the immaturity of adolescents’ brains fuels delinquency. The human brain does not fully develop until age 25, and evidence shows that incarceration slows the natural maturation process that enables most youth to grow out of delinquent behaviors. Second, it describes how youth who become involved in the youth justice system are far more likely than other youth to have experienced childhood trauma, which can affect the brain and increase the likelihood of behavioral problems. Incarceration can exacerbate that trauma and reduce young people’s likelihood of success.

And if I'm being honest, I don't see how pursuant to Wis. Statutes Sec. 970.03 - Reverse Waiver, C.P.B. will be able to prove by a preponderance of the evidence, each of the elements below required for this case to be reversed and/or sent to Juvenile Court.

More specifically, I'm very sorry to say that short of being sedated 23/7, I believe upon conviction, the only way possible to deter C.P.B. from repeating what he did to 10 yr old Lily Peters requires eliminating the opportunity by sentencing C.P.B. according to the "Class-A" felony guidelines for adults. MOO

1) if convicted, he can't receive adequate treatment in the criminal justice system;

2) transferring the defendant to youth court does not depreciate the seriousness of his crime, and

3) retaining jurisdiction not necessary to deter the youth from committing murder (accused offense).

All -- I'd like to apologize for any of my posts inferring that the accused (C.P.B.) has no redeemable qualities and is incapable of being rehabilitated (to live a crime-free life).

I've never met C.P.B. and am not qualified to assess him and/or pass such judgment on the minor. I recognize the posts are insensitive and I apologize.

I linked this March 2023 report in the last thread and although statistical success rates are not cited, it provides a good explanation of why juvenile detention/incarceration fails to foster positive behavior change or desist from repeat delinquency.

First, the report provides that most violent offenders such as C.P.B. are not sentenced to juvenile facilities and therefore not recipients of rehabilitation, mental health counseling, etc., for statistical sampling due to respective state laws across the country that enable violent youth offenders to be prosecuted in adult court. Wisconsin is a perfect example-- given WI Statute actually provides for 10-year old's to be prosecuted as adults!

Given most youth who are incarcerated in juvenile facilities are not charged with violent offenses, research makes it increasingly clear that young people’s ability to desist from delinquent behavior is tied to their progress in developing “psychosocial maturity,” including the abilities to control impulses, delay gratification, weigh the consequences of their actions, consider other people’s perspectives, and resist peer pressure. Research finds that incarceration slows young people’s psychological maturation – exactly the opposite of what’s needed to foster positive behavior change and promote desistance from delinquency.

Part 1
of the report provides a detailed review of the research showing that incarceration does not work: it cites extensive evidence finding that incarcerating youth does not reduce the likelihood that they will break the law again. Rates of recidivism (re-arrests, new convictions or adjudications, or subsequent incarcerations) are high, and research studies consistently show that youth who are incarcerated reoffend at rates equal to or higher than those of youth with comparable backgrounds and offense histories who remain at home. The evidence also shows that incarceration worsens educational and career outcomes and does lasting damage to young people’s health and wellbeing. Finally, abuse and maltreatment are widespread in facilities where youth are incarcerated, and racial and ethnic disparities are pervasive.

Part 2 examines two key reasons why incarceration fails. First, it describes how the immaturity of adolescents’ brains fuels delinquency. The human brain does not fully develop until age 25, and evidence shows that incarceration slows the natural maturation process that enables most youth to grow out of delinquent behaviors. Second, it describes how youth who become involved in the youth justice system are far more likely than other youth to have experienced childhood trauma, which can affect the brain and increase the likelihood of behavioral problems. Incarceration can exacerbate that trauma and reduce young people’s likelihood of success.

And if I'm being honest, I don't see how pursuant to Wis. Statutes Sec. 970.03 - Reverse Waiver, C.P.B. will be able to prove by a preponderance of the evidence, each of the elements below required for this case to be reversed and/or sent to Juvenile Court.

More specifically, I'm very sorry to say that short of being sedated 23/7, I believe upon conviction, the only way possible to deter C.P.B. from repeating what he did to 10 yr old Lily Peters requires eliminating the opportunity by sentencing C.P.B. according to the "Class-A" felony guidelines for adults. MOO

1) if convicted, he can't receive adequate treatment in the criminal justice system;

2) transferring the defendant to youth court does not depreciate the seriousness of his crime, and

3) retaining jurisdiction not necessary to deter the youth from committing murder (accused offense).

Last edited:
All -- I'd like to apologize for any of my posts inferring that the accused (C.P.B.) has no redeemable qualities and is incapable of being rehabilitated (to live a crime-free life).

I've never met C.P.B. and am not qualified to assess him and/or pass such judgment on the minor. I recognize the posts are insensitive and I apologize.

I didn't personally think your posts were insensitive at all.

Whilst it's true that none of us have met C.P.B, we have heard details of the crime he stands accused of, and I think it's fair enough to form our own opinions on what kind of person could commit such acts.

I'm sorry that feel you owe an apology for your posts.

Whilst it's true that none of us have met C.P.B, we have heard details of the crime he stands accused of, and I think it's fair enough to form our own opinions on what kind of person could commit such acts.

Thank you @Rolypolyoly for your kind response.

I went to sleep last night after celebrating my niece's birthday in my brother's home and driving home, I was thinking how I can't even begin to fathom the fracture and pain in the family's relationship since this heinous act. Especially between the parents of the victim and the accused, who I assume are brother and sister. I also remembered how the Grandmother to both the victim and the accused immediately wrote to the Judge begging for mercy for her grandson because, in my opinion, that's what grandmothers do, believe you are worthy when nobody else does. I mostly didn't like the idea of something I wrote causing the extended family of the two children any additional pain. Thanks again for reaching out. :)

Agreed. The poster is entitled to their own opinions, and they certainly will not be apologizing for the comment I just made in the thread that is of course MOO…..

I think that C.P.B's family issues run pretty deep, and his grandmother may need to lift those blinkers and take a long look. Of course her loyalties lie with her son and her grandson, but from my unblinkered point of view, the drum she bangs isn't ever going to play a good tune.

C.P.B was undoubtedly let down, and dealt a very rough hand, but unfortunately that damage is done and I don't know if its the kind that can be fixed, I'm inclined to think not. JMO.

MOO…
Capital punishment ought to be reinstated in WI and applied to even a minor defendant for heinous crimes such as this.

I'm not a big supporter of the DP, I do occasionally find myself making an exception, Chad Doerman for instance, but I could never support it for a minor in ANY circumstance.

JMO, and I respect yours.

No apologies whatsoever needed from me, that's for sure. I think the point you were making was not so much that he or anyone can't be rehabilitated *given the proper and lengthy conditions*, but that we, as a country, fail miserably in that regard to even provide it in the first place, so someone in his shoes really doesn't stand a chance, sadly, because we do not provide that kind of intense rehab in any sort of facility or even as outpatient if not incarcerated.

I shall have surgery (carotid artery stent put in) on Tuesday, July 25th - So I will need to post Tuesday the 25th, Wednesday the 26th & Thursday the 27th hearings - as I do not know "when" I shall be back home from the hospital. I am HOPING for Wednesday afternoon!! :)

Thursday, July 27th:
*Motions Hearing (@ 1:30pm ET) - WI - Iliana “Lily” Peters (10) (left aunt's, didn't arrive home, bike found, reported missing April 24, 2022 @ 9pm, found April 25, 2022 @ 9:15am, located near the walking trail at the end of North Grove St. at the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery Co. parking lot, Chippewa Falls) - *C. T. P-B. (14/now 15) arrested & charged (4/26/22) & arraigned (4/27/22) with 1st degree intentional murder & 1st degree sexual assault/great bodily harm & 1st degree sexual assault on a child under 13 resulting in great bodily harm. Cash bond of $1M.
Case & court info from 4/27/22 thru 11/3/22 reference post #980 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...hippewa-falls-24-apr-22-arrest.620807/page-49

11/7/22: Notice of hearing. Telephone scheduling conference hearing on 1/9/23 @ 8:30am. 1/9/23 Update: Chippewa County Judge Steve Gibbs held a scheduling conference Monday morning with both attorneys about the next court dates in the murder case. Ultimately, Gibbs left the existing court dates in place. The next court date is set for 8/7/23 & slated to last five days. At the meeting Monday, the attorneys opted to add a sixth day to that court hearing to make sure they finish resolving all issues, said Chippewa County District Attorney Wade Newell.
6/20/23: Motion. Defendant’s Motion to preclude improper argument by prosecutor-sent for review. Motion: Defendant's motion to seal any crime scene or autopsy photos admitted as evidence in reverse waiver hearing. Motion. Defendant's motion to preclude certain testimony at reverse waiver hearing. Motion. Defendants motion to seal or redact any photos or video footage of CTPB. Admitted as evidence in reverse waiver hearing all motions filed by attorneys Cohen & Linzmeir. Notice of hearing/ Motions hearing on 7/27/23 @ 1:30pm. 6/23/23: Letters/correspondence from attorney Michael R. Cohen requesting zoom appearance for defendant-sent for review. 6/28/23: Letters/correspondence from attorney Michael R. Cohen re Zoom appearances-sent for review.

Court record
Date Event Court official Court reporter Amount
07-27-2023 Video conferencing
07-27-2023 Motion hearing Gibbs, Steven H. Case, Jessica
Additional text:
1:34 PM Defendant C. T. P.-B. appeared by video, in custody. Attorney Michael R. Cohen in court for C. T. P.-B. Attorney Alicia Linzmeier appeared by video with C. T. P.-B. Attorney Wade Newell in court for State of Wisconsin. Attorney Sheila M. Yohnk in court for State of Wisconsin.
DA Newell states case and notes appearances.
Defendant waives personal appearance. If those plans change defense to notify the court.
State has no objection to the Motion to Seal photos & autopsy, with exception of DOJ for appellate purposes.
Court grants motion.
Counsel address classification of defendant. Court order currently requires use of defendant's initials. Attorney Cohen anticipates first names being used in testimony.
DA Newell does not object.
Court's preference would be to utilize defendant/victim terminology, grants stipulated guidelines.
Parties stipulate to present only facts in testimony.
Court grants motion.
Attorney Cohen addresses Motion to Preclude Improper Argument, stipulates to the seriousness of the crime and requests limitation to 3 issues set forth in chapter 970. Request for State to be precluded from any testimony beyond that.
DA Newell responds and intends to supplement probable cause of Criminal Complaint to support seriousness of what occurred.
Attorney Cohen responds and indicates there is no need to supplement unless issue is challenged.
DA Newell responds and outlines what evidence he intends to introduce at Reverse Waiver Hearing, which was not available at the time of filing the Complaint. .
Court has reviewed case law at issue, Reverse Waiver is not intended to be a mini-trial. so long as evidence is admissible under the laws of evidence and outlined under the 3 subsections of chapter 970. Court orders counsel to adhere to the principles in Kleser, if the door is opened through testimony DA Newell will be allowed to supplement. Court to address issues as they come up at hearing.

Attorney Cohen has an out of town witness that will only be available to testify Wednesday, August 9. Parties agree to accommodate witness's schedule and they will be prepared to begin at 8am that morning.

Court activities
Date Time Location Description Type Court official
08-07-2023 09:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

08-08-2023 09:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

08-09-2023 09:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

08-10-2023 09:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

08-11-2023 09:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

08-14-2023 08:00 am Chippewa County Courthouse, Branch 1 Hearing Court Gibbs, Steven H.

link: Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Where are you folks finding out all of this information about the defendant and his family? I certainly don't see it here.
Edit: Never mind, I saw the Wikipedia entry. Now I know what happened.

Is he to be tried as a juvenile or adult?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back