Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an excellent article on the response timeline.
https://www.weau.com/content/news/D...me-Closs-response-took-so-long-504430552.html
From the article:
As for why the response took so long, Douglas County Sheriff Lieutenant Chris Hoyt told WDIO News, the first three responding deputies were working patrol at the time and available for calls.

The first time stamp from their AVL log was at 4:16 p.m.

One deputy was coming from County Hwy E in the Hawthorne Wisconsin area, 28 miles from the Kasinkas home. The responding time took 25 minutes.

Another deputy responded near lake Minnesuing on County Highway P, 29 miles away. His response time also 25 minutes.

The third responding deputy was 45 miles away in Superior. His response time was 29 minutes.

Two other deputies not working patrol assisted, one arriving on scene at 4:42 p.m. and the other at 4:53 p.m.

All were traveling over 100 miles per hour.

Hoyt says there was not a pre-determined group to respond if Jayme was found. He also says the condition of the roads at the time played a factor.

Clearly, to travel those distances in the timeframes they did, they were driving as fast as the conditions allowed.

Plus, this is a very rural area. I'm not sure how many people have truly lived in a rural area on this board and experienced emergency responses. I lived in a very rural area for most of my childhood/young adulthood. My Dad was a volunteer ambulance driver. The police were on their way VERY shortly after the call came in. It just took that long for them to actually arrive. This is not unusual in rural areas. For that matter, I live in a first tier suburb of a major metropolitan area now. We had a man physically trying to break into our home (slamming his body against our door) while I was on the phone with 911. It took police about 10 minutes to actually arrive at our home. That was half the time it took them to get to Jayme. IMO, they arrived ASAP.

snipped

THIS. Very rural area here. Curvy roads. Only a couple of officers on duty at any given time. Average time for ambulance or police to get to my house is 20-25 minutes. However, that's if they're at the station. If they're on a mountain on the other side of the county, it could be 45 minutes or longer.

I know there a lot of old timers here (and by that I mean fellow posters who have been posting for a while, not the elderly, although many of us may be dually diagnosed) who tried and tried to find a way to understand the evidence available from the media, even snapping stills of video from the MSM to try and figure out what happened.

I go back to the chair (not necessarily the ties on it, which were discussed for a long time regarding whether someone was tied to it), but the evidence of splintered wood on the underside was a major clue on how the crime went down, based on the location of where James’ body was found and that a shotgun was used. We speculated and speculated, but until the official complaint was published, most thought is was a handgun because that is typically the weapon used in crimes. Then we hear JP chose a shotgun just for that reason.

The complaint: http://media.graytvinc.com/documents/jayme+closs+complaint.pdf

I have read it twice, now, and the second time was a little easier, but the first time, it was just so awful and shocking.

Mind numbing. I, in no way, expected that was the way it went down. On a scale of 1-10 on how bad the abduction scene was, I would put it at a 10.

Ice. You can hear one of the deputies mention slowing down for a rough patch of ice during the call.

ETA: I see now why you asked this question. My answer stands, but I get what you were trying to say ;)

I'm sure they drove as fast as they could, and at some points doing a 100, You do have to slow down for the ice though. If they got in an accident on the way there - what good would that have been for Jayme?

They removed her from the scene right away for safety. Did they take her somewhere else first besides the hospital?

The reports I read said she was taken to the police station in a police car. An ambulance could have removed her right away. Hospitals are generally considered a safe secure location where crime victims can receive treatment, counseling, and be interviewed by police all at the same time.

Good theory, but I believe the question was, "Does she look like she is going to run?". I think the operator was sceptical. I think the operator thought it was a hoax.

Perhaps she was skeptical. Rightly so, she very professionally questioned to determine that it was not a hoax. Fabulous!

That's her job and she asked questions to determine such, moved on. That shows great training that she did that to weed out false information.

Others up thread have explained why she may have asked why she going to run, that was a great question.

I have learned to rely on others here to just read summaries of media posts that are clickbait, and I also have learned other baiting to avoid.

The reports I read said she was taken to the police station in a police car. An ambulance could have removed her right away. Hospitals are generally considered a safe secure location where crime victims can receive treatment, counseling, and be interviewed by police all at the same time.

Jake Patterson Named As Suspect Arrested In Kidnapping Of Jayme Closs

Midway down in this article:

"Officers brought Jayme to a Duluth-area hospital for overnight evaluation. She has since been cleared."

But they didnt capture JP yet. They wanted to get her out of the area - an area they didn't consider safe - because arguably it wasn't.

The father of Jake Patterson, accused kidnapper, is apologizing to Jayme Closs and her family. The grief-stricken Patrick Patterson delivered a handwritten note expressing sorrow and shame as Jayme’s family gathered at Jake's arraignment. Jayme’s cousin, JA, said she knows the Patterson family is shell-shocked too. “My heart goes out to them because when these things happen, families don't always know,” said Arnold. “I don't hold any hard feelings against them.”

I know there a lot of old timers here (and by that I mean fellow posters who have been posting for a while, not the elderly, although many of us may be dually diagnosed) who tried and tried to find a way to understand the evidence available from the media, even snapping stills of video from the MSM to try and figure out what happened.

I go back to the chair (not necessarily the ties on it, which were discussed for a long time regarding whether someone was tied to it), but the evidence of splintered wood on the underside was a major clue on how the crime went down, based on the location of where James’ body was found and that a shotgun was used. We speculated and speculated, but until the official complaint was published, most thought is was a handgun because that is typically the weapon used in crimes. Then we hear JP chose a shotgun just for that reason.

I have read it twice, now, and the second time was a little easier, but the first time, it was just so awful and shocking.

Mind numbing. I, in no way, expected that was the way it went down. On a scale of 1-10 on how bad the abduction scene was, I would put it at a 10.

I hear you loud and clear. And you are brave for ready it twice. My heart is still racing from reading it one time. It reads like a screamingly terrifying horror story that should only be fiction. It sure did explain all the explaining we tried to come up with here on WS and was well beyond what I, at least, could fathom. Hang in there. We are in shock together over this sad tale.

Okay. Let's lay this to rest. CNN has a transcript of the 911 call.
Jayme Closs found: The 911 transcript - CNN

From CNN's transcription BBM
Dispatcher: Does she seem like she is going to need medical attention at all?"
Nutter: "I would think yes. I was a social worker for 30 years. ..."
Dispatcher: "OK. What do you think of her medical condition right now?"
Nutter: "I think shock and cold. And shock."
(Pause. Nutter eventually tells someone in the house that "a good thing happened here.")
Dispatcher: "Yep. Just try and speak very calm. If she feels ... just don't try to push her too much."
Nutter: "No. We're not."
(Pause)
Dispatcher: "OK, ma'am. Just stay on the line with me. ... Can you tell me how many people are in the house right now?"
(Nutter tells the dispatcher who is there: Kasinskas and her husband, two children, some dogs, as well as herself and Jayme.)
Dispatcher: "Ma'am, my deputy, she just wants you to lock the doors ... and don't let the dogs out or anything. Just everybody stay inside until I can get deputies there."
(Nutter relays the instructions.)
Dispatcher: "And I'm just going to paging out medical. I'm going to have them stage in the area, because I don't want anybody to come up into the house until the deputies get there. But I want them in the area, OK?

The ambulance was not brought to the house because the suspect was still at large. The deputies removed Jayme from the home for her safety. I've read nothing that indicates they took her anywhere other than the hospital.

If you have a source that says they took her to police station, questioned her, and then took her to the hospital, please provide it. Otherwise, I'll believe what is written above and has been provided in other articles linked by other posters.

Do you have a link for this? Because they did take her to the hospital Thursday and this article indicates that they waited to question her so as not to further stress her out.

Missing Wisconsin teen found alive: What we know about the kidnapping suspect, Jayme Closs' escape

I can't find the story now. It was in the story that said the Sheriff's deputy asked her while she was being driven to the police station, if a car they saw was his. Another deputy then pulled that car over and arrested him.

All of this!

Plus, this is a very rural area. I'm not sure how many people have truly lived in a rural area on this board and experienced emergency responses. I lived in a very rural area for most of my childhood/young adulthood. My Dad was a volunteer ambulance driver. The police were on their way VERY shortly after the call came in. It just took that long for them to actually arrive. This is not unusual in rural areas. For that matter, I live in a first tier suburb of a major metropolitan area now. We had a man physically trying to break into our home (slamming his body against our door) while I was on the phone with 911. It took police about 10 minutes to actually arrive at our home. That was half the time it took them to get to Jayme. IMO, they arrived ASAP.

Yes thank you! Where I'm from we have many rural areas where it would take LE and EMS twice as long to get to, maybe longer. so I really didn't think 30 min was that bad. I'm sure it seemed like an eternity to everyone involved and sounds like a long time for people who don't know, but in some areas it could've taken a lot longer.

You've never driven in rural WI, have you?
You can't watch a video of a police officer screaming down a highway and compare it to driving on half paved narrow roads covered in ice out in the boonies with deer on either side of the road just waiting to jump into your headlights.
Sounds exactly like where I live! It can be very scary. Especially at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem