AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need to give up on the McDonald’s comment, most likely used as an example in those earliest days...examples are nearly always given for searchers and the public would not be told anything so specific as LE would want to find and handle such items themselves, if they existed. Imo LE merely wanted searchers to take note of everything .

Paul Blume on Twitter | 8:29 PM (CDT) - 1 Nov 2018

Our story as authorities drop 24/7 ground operation in #JaymeCloss search. Includes some interview extras w/ Barron Co Sheriff. Is time finally right to release 911 call to help #FindJayme? His answer in video link below. #FindJaymeCloss

Authorities dropping 24/7 ground operation as search for Jayme Closs continues
(*video at link)

Quoting myself to add this rough transcription from the video, during which Sheriff Fitzgerald speaks:

From the video (at 00:48), transcribed by me:

REPORTER (voiceover): I asked the Sheriff earlier this week, if he will release the 911 call from the Close family home that is apparently still being analyzed.

SHERIFF FITZGERALD: I’m struggling with that because it’s not what we want yet. I mean they’re trying to do it better and fix it up but they can’t.

REPORTER: Have you listened to it?

SHERIFF FITZGERALD: I have listened to it.

REPORTER: Do you, I mean…

SHERIFF FITZGERALD: You don’t hear nothing that can help you. I mean it’s very confusing.

Here's a little more info on the Kandiyohi county body that was found yesterday. That's the area I'm originally from and sadly, this time of year, it's not unusual for a body to be found.

They are NOT holding info pending family notification - they are still pending autopsy and positive ID.
Sheriff Dan Hartog said Thursday that his office had no new information to provide on the case until the results of the autopsy are received. He is hoping to receive positive identification of the individual Friday morning as well.

The office received a call at 3:21 p.m. Wednesday of a deceased body in a field north of the intersection of 49th Street Northeast and Eighth Avenue Northeast in Kandiyohi Township. Officers located the body in a harvested field near that location.

Quoted from OTPTarheel2018 in the previous thread:
“SMREKAR: No, and I don`t sleep well at night and I was about at the boat. 1:00 --ish and our dog was on the porch and he was doing some light noises “

Boat? What boat?

Bad transcription. Should say "I was up at about 1-ish" I don't remember what it was about the dog, but he wasn't on the porch or doing "light noises." I think it was something about he was restless.
Yes, I think it was something about the dog being anxious (although someone did suggest maybe the dog had gas.)

It was asked earlier on the previous thread by @human ...

The short answer is yes. They would have to go to different operators of the networks with a separate warrant. The good thing is that there are only three of them - ATT, Verizon, and Sprint. All other cell phone service providers buy time/capacity from one of those three as they have no physical networks of their own.

An example of this is the ATT Cell Tower Warrant issued in the Missy Bevers case out of Midlothian, TX. (Note: at the link below it will show pages 1 to 8 but page 1 is blank so scroll down or enter 2 in the box where 1 is.)

Tower Warrant 5-5-16

One of the orders of the warrant was for ATT to identify all cell towers within range of the Creekside Church in Midlothian, TX (where Missy was murdered). This resulted in all cell towers within 11 miles all around or a circle with a diameter of 22 miles. From that, ATT was further ordered to return records for all phones that connected to any of those towers. Given the population within that circle which was just south of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex it likely resulted in records returned for easily tens of thousands if not over 100,000 cell phones - despite the limited time range of 3am to 5am.

I expect that law enforcement would have done the same kind of thing for cell towers in the Barron, WI area. Given the smaller population of the area there would likewise be a smaller amount of records returned. Naturally, if the persons involved did not bring a phone with them or did not have a phone turned on then the phone would not show up in the records.

My understanding is that cell phones in the area will ‘ping’ even if they’re not turned on. I’ve read that LE can remotely access a cell phone as a microphone even if it’s turned off. I don’t know how that is accomplished exactly. The exception would be prepaid cell phones which, unless they’re registered, would go undetected. I’ll try to find a link.

So you guys are driving me nuts. I had to look up “Golden Corral” so now I get the joke. For your info, they have military night, and the waffles look good.

As far as Jayme, I’m feeling nervous about this body found in MN(?)
Found in an open field sounds so ominous.

I don’t believe it’s her. Imo

Quoting myself to add this rough transcription from the video, during which Sheriff Fitzgerald speaks:

REPORTER (voiceover): I asked the Sheriff earlier this week, if he will release the 911 call from the Close family home that is apparently still being analyzed.

SHERIFF FITZGERALD: I’m struggling with that because it’s not what we want yet. I mean they’re trying to do it better and fix it up but they can’t.

SHERIFF FITZGERALD: You don’t hear nothing that can help you. I mean it’s very confusing.

I can't even imagine the horror that is on that 911 call. I wouldn't want to hear it. But I do hope they can get it cleared up and it is able to help them. :(

I can't imagine him saying, "You don't hear nothing," but I honestly don't think it would be helpful to release the 911 tape. If even with all their technology they can't hear whats being yelled or what the disturbance was, I just don't see how it can be of any help. Its probably the sound of objects being shuffled around and the voices may be so muffled no-one would recognize them. They may not even have the killers voice on it at all. Jmo

In the last thread, wiseowl wrote: Like everyone else i hope this case is resolved before too long. Not only for James, Denise and Jayme's family and friends sake but also for Sheriff Fitzgerald. He is putting his heart and soul into this case and he deserves some luck with it. I think he is a top bloke.

Look at the videos. The guy has aged 20 years since the first one. I feel for him.

Just bringing this post forward again to answer members questions about forensic submissions / DNA

It all depends on how it’s categorised ie. urgent submission can be turned around result wise in 24-36 hours BUT what you have to realise is the cost of doing so is prohibitive and if you only have one or two items for submission as URGENT then it’s achievable but in a case like this, items would have to be carefully scrutinised and considered if financially viable as part of the forensic strategy because no matter how much we like to think that there are infinite pots of money for LE to use ( or even FBI for that matter) on such investigations, the reality is that there isn’t and sometimes very difficult decisions have to be taken ( and cost unfortunately is a factor when you consider how many cases per day would need URGENT DNA submissions).

Just bringing this post forward again to answer members questions about forensic submissions / DNA

It all depends on how it’s categorised ie. urgent submission can be turned around result wise in 24-36 hours BUT what you have to realise is the cost of doing so is prohibitive and if you only have one or two items for submission as URGENT then it’s achievable but in a case like this, items would have to be carefully scrutinised and considered if financially viable as part of the forensic strategy because no matter how much we like to think that there are infinite pots of money for LE to use ( or even FBI for that matter) on such investigations, the reality is that there isn’t and sometimes very difficult decisions have to be taken ( and cost unfortunately is a factor when you consider how many cases per day would need URGENT DNA submissions).

And to add to that further, another consideration is what sort of DNA? Familial ? Low copy? Etc ... all need to be considered as to cost and likelihood of results

I can't imagine him saying, "You don't hear nothing," but I honestly don't think it would be helpful to release the 911 tape. If even with all their technology they can't hear whats being yelled or what the disturbance was, I just don't see how it can be of any help. Its probably the sound of objects being shuffled around and the voices may be so muffled no-one would recognize them. They may not even have the killers voice on it at all. Jmo
Voices on a phone are easily muffled or made inaudible by contact with clothing, hair, or skin in the most normal of circumstances. I was going in that direction but to say it's "confusing"? The sheriff is either speaking from in complete exhaustion (expectedly) or meant something other then what I was thinking.

My understanding is that cell phones in the area will ‘ping’ even if they’re not turned on. I’ve read that LE can remotely access a cell phone as a microphone even if it’s turned off. I don’t know how that is accomplished exactly. The exception would be prepaid cell phones which, unless they’re registered, would go undetected. I’ll try to find a link.
Prepaid cell phones actually have to register on a network. I am talking about the phone itself - the SIM card - has to register as without authorization the phone can't be used. Even though a person is not registered to that phone quite a bit can be learned about such phones unless they are literally turned on the one time, used, and disposed.

As for whether a phone is off whether law enforcement can ping it is not relevant to something like a cell tower warrant. The purpose of such a warrant is to find all phones that connected to all cell towers within a limited distance and within a limited time range. Since cell towers don't ping phones - unless intentionally initiated by the carrier - any phone that was not on will not show up in a data dump of the phone records.

Pre-paid phones will show up in such records. The phone must register to the network and be authorized otherwise no calls, messages, or data can be sent. Phones do this registration automatically. This is not the same as having to have a name on an account or anything like that which is not required to access the phone network but the phone itself has to be authorized. All pre-paid phones that you can walk into a store like Wal-Mart to buy are already pre-subscribed so when you turn the phone on it will be authorized to access the network. This is why such phones can be tracked even if the name of who has that phone is unknown. A pre-paid phone that you carry around will reveal - via an examination of location history records - where you live, where you work, the stores you frequent, the routes you drive, and so on. Armed with such information a determined law enforcement will ultimately be able to track the person who had the phone down and determine an identity.

Here's a little more info on the Kandiyohi county body that was found yesterday. That's the area I'm originally from and sadly, this time of year, it's not unusual for a body to be found.

They are NOT holding info pending family notification - they are still pending autopsy and positive ID.

The STrib says "Identification will be released pending family notification." Authorities find body in Kandiyohi County field

Pioneer Press says the same: Body discovered in central Minnesota field. Identity withheld pending notification of kin. – Twin Cities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slim Summers