AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The tests from the BCA should be available soon. Typically takes 30 days on urgent matters and six months on everyday crimes.

I'm curious if a hair strand, boot print, finger print, blood, saliva, bullet casing, cloth material, semen turn up anything. I know I listed a ton, which may or may not have taken place.

Also curious if they located the car and placed a tracker under the bumper by now. Unfortunately, tracker batteries are only good for few days, so constantly updating it is required. Shame it wasn't a GM with onstar.

Next... wonder if they needed a GPS to get to Barron? As google or Waze has analytics data to show who was in area. So must be an individual with insight to area.

No cell ping info either. Sad. So either no cell or a regular pinger in the area

Why was van backed onto yard? This part drives my brain to hurt. A possible twist to the case.

They say JC was there at time of crime. So guessing small foot prints in blood found. Which footprint size matched shoes in home or semen found on her bed and/or her cell phone lying on her bed as they have no JC phone to follow cell pings.

Back to the BCA. Fingers crossed
RBBM: I must have missed something but.... what is this about a van backed onto the yard?!?

I don’t think the chair looks old, or the wood dry. I have a thing for old chairs, so I’ve seen the kinds of splits in the seat you are speaking of. However, because old chairs are so dry, the split would likely be a pretty clean one if you were to slam it down. I don’t think you would see that kind of splintering unless we’re talking about another object being forced into the crack...such as an ax. I find these up close pics of the chair rather disturbing because I can’t think what else could have caused this damage.
I was also thinking an ax was used on the chair, or something else with a sharp serrated edge! Given where it appears on the chair, you can imagine why I thought someone might use it in that manner... That would be terrifying!

could the chair have been used in a attempt to shield oneself from a shot?
If it was used as a bullet shield, then whoever was holding it sure got lucky! The placement of the break makes me think it wasn't used as a bullet shield - someone using it as a shield, to me, would be more likely to hold it as broadly as possible (eg: seat covering themselves). But the splinter makes it seem more like it could have been used to protect against an ax or serrated blade? Interestingly, the splinter doesn't *appear* have blood spatter on it - so when in the attack was the chair in play? Its a fresh, clean splinter. I'd pay good money to see the forensic report on what damaged it, and where police think it came into play during the attack.

Expanding on this, the chair in made of oak, one of the hardest woods available. All the wood work in century homes is generally oak, simply because its indestructible. In fact, I think even if you hit a chair with an axe, you'd have a very hard time causing that much damage.
Yes, the chair looks a lot like my oak chair I used as a desk chair in college. After multiple moves and 25 years of living, it’s the only chair of mine that is not nicked up in some way or hasn’t begun to fall apart. It is all the more terrifying to consider what kind of force was needed to cause this type of damage.

The sad part is, 23 are registered but they have not disclosed the amount of level 1s and 2s. So maybe upward of a 100. I talked more about this in the teens thread, 11 or 12 or 13... who knows the thread number. Again, just glad they are finally cleaning house in town
Do sex offenders usually commit violent house invasions like this one? It just seems to me that a sex offender would have had other easier opportunities to abduct Jayme. Why do it at a time both parents would probably be home? Seems like the perp(s) chose this time/date because they were extremely angered at that moment or had it pre-planned in their mind to kill both parents to help and/or obtain Jayme.

I realize the focus is now on the chair, but my mind keeps going back to former posts re: a younger Denise living in an apartment where a brutal killing took place. I have long considered that somehow she could be the focus rather than James. No idea why I thought this - just another idea that could be the reason for the invasion and killing.

I was also thinking an ax was used on the chair, or something else with a sharp serrated edge! Given where it appears on the chair, you can imagine why I thought someone might use it in that manner... That would be terrifying!
Thank you for capturing that screen shot for us! IMO it looks like a bullet ripped into that chair. The way it's ripped at the start & how the split then goes on back under the chair. I think if it were done by an ax it wouldn't be ripped at the front edge like that. Also something else that bothers me. It looks like a pink fiber of some sort sticking up from the left edge. Seems to me it should have been bagged somehow to preserve evidence, but I'm not an expert. MOO

Thank you for capturing that screen shot for us! IMO it looks like a bullet ripped into that chair. The way it's ripped at the start & how the split then goes on back under the chair. I think if it were done by an ax it wouldn't be ripped at the front edge like that. Also something else that bothers me. It looks like a pink fiber of some sort sticking up from the left edge. Seems to me it should have been bagged somehow to preserve evidence, but I'm not an expert. MOO
I'm gonna go and circle that fibre and some other areas of interest... I'll be right back

Do sex offenders usually commit violent house invasions like this one? It just seems to me that a sex offender would have had other easier opportunities to abduct Jayme. Why do it at a time both parents would probably be home? Seems like the perp(s) chose this time/date because they were extremely angered at that moment or had it pre-planned in their mind to kill both parents to help and/or obtain Jayme.

Unfortunately, there are known cases where SO's have invaded an occupied home for the purpose of taking a child.

I was really confused about how the chair shreds suddenly became so visible and we didn't see it before so I clicked a few random older threads to try and find the pics that had been posted earlier and found this:

AMBER ALERT - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

Hope it brings up the right post.
The splinters are visible in the post you brought up. The pictures are somewhat blurry & it's from a different angle... but it's there.

Just thought in reference to the sex offenders. I was once called to the bench to answer a question about a PSI I had conducted on a Def who was being sentenced. The defendant had a pretty serious rape conviction from many years prior. The Judge (believe it or not they don't know everything and are just as human as you or I) asked me if the D was registered. The Def wasn't nor was he required to be as his conviction was prior to law change. My point is that there are sex offenders who aren't' registered and BCI doesn't always have old information when you pull a LEADS on someone. Just throwing this out there for anyone leaning in the sex offender direction.
Thanks for the input- amazing what is left out of LEADS and still what manages to stay in sometimes. Yes, many go unregistered, uncharged, and think of the juvenile histories that are sealed/expunged and/or forgotten about as time goes on. Endless possible suspects.

I was watching an interview with the Sheriff this morning and I finally saw a really good clear shot of the chair that was removed from the home. This is where I saw it: Going Inside The Daily Hunt To Find Jayme Closs

I captured a screen shot, and am sharing it here b/c I think it will make for interesting discussion now that we can see it so clearly.

I have a little experience with viewing bullet projectile damage from target practicing with various objects.

IMO I do think that is bullet damage. It almost looks to me that the bullet went straight at the edge which would cause damage to both the upper and lower sides of the seat part. I hope LE has looked inside that damaged area because the lead or copper jacketed projectile could still be embedded inside the chair if it went in straight at the edge like I suspect.

There is more damage to the top part where it splintered upwards so if I am right that its bullet damage then the bullet could have come out the top. But even so there could be small pieces of the bullet inside that wood.

LE probably was able to get other bullets from the scene so they may not need to recover it.

Expanding on this. If it was bullet damage then I have to wonder if maybe the chair had gotten knocked over and as the perp shot downward at one of the victims the bullet may have gone downward toward the edge of the chair like that if the chair was already knocked over.

Or as was mentioned by others the chair may have been used as a shield when someone was pointing a gun at them.

NOTICE:
I put the screen shot of the chair into photoshop and I FLIPPED it so its facing the opposite way than how it was originally captured. I did this just to give myself a new perspective on it...

I've circled some areas I found interesting that I wanted to draw your attention to and discuss:
-> The tie around screen left - it is dirty and is that spatter I see? It may not be. It could just be pixelated.
-> Pink-is fibre (screen left). Did someone's clothing catch there on a splinter or was it not even related to the attack and was there from some prior time?
-> Screen right, near the back rest - what is that tiny little fibre there? Wood splinter? Hair? Clothing fibre?
-> The underside of the chair is a clean sorta non splintered area - or less splintered than other area above it. This makes me go back to thinking a sharp edge came into contact with that chair in that spot.

Thoughts?

EDITED: omg I forgot to add the pic of the chair that I flipped in shop and circled areas of interest. Pass the coffee?

Attachments

• CHAIR.jpg
    CHAIR.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
the chair may not have been the first thing the bullet hit, and that wouldn't mean it hit a person first. most bullets will go threw multiple walls and after the first impact start to tumble thus causing a more splintering effect than it would on the first thing hit. there are rounds designed though to break up and tumble at first impact.

Expanding on this, the chair in made of oak, one of the hardest woods available. All the wood work in century homes is generally oak, simply because its indestructible. In fact, I think even if you hit a chair with an axe, you'd have a very hard time causing that much damage.
This is a far stretch but could damage to the chair be caused by the dog chewing or clawing at it over time...perhaps the damage had allready been there? My cat sharpens her claw on a board in the basement and has shredded it

I have a little experience with viewing bullet projectile damage from target practicing with various objects.

IMO I do think that is bullet damage. It almost looks to me that the bullet went straight at the edge which would cause damage to both the upper and lower sides of the seat part. I hope LE has looked inside that damaged area because the lead or copper jacketed projectile could still be embedded inside the chair if it went in straight at the edge like I suspect.

There is more damage to the top part where it splintered upwards so if I am right that its bullet damage then the bullet could have come out the top. But even so there could be small pieces of the bullet inside that wood.

LE probably was able to get other bullets from the scene so they may not need to recover it.

Expanding on this. If it was bullet damage then I have to wonder if maybe the chair had gotten knocked over and as the perp shot downward at one of the victims the bullet may have gone downward toward the edge of the chair like that if the chair was already knocked over.

Or as was mentioned by others the chair may have been used as a shield when someone was pointing a gun at them.
Thank you for your assessment of the chair damage! I'm now leaning more towards bullet impact as well!

This is a far stretch but could damage to the chair be caused by the dog chewing or clawing at it over time...perhaps the damage had allready been there? My cat sharpens her claw on a board in the basement and has shredded it
I would think that a dog as little as Molly wouldn't be able to get up quite that high maybe to cause such damage - but even if she could, the damage seems fresh. I know when dogs chew things, typically the damaged wood looks chewed (teeth marks), and dirty. A dog that small? This is more what I would expect a chewed area to look like:chewed wood | Everyday Adventures in Havachon Heaven
- others may disagree, just my opinion.

I realize the focus is now on the chair, but my mind keeps going back to former posts re: a younger Denise living in an apartment where a brutal killing took place. I have long considered that somehow she could be the focus rather than James. No idea why I thought this - just another idea that could be the reason for the invasion and killing.
I missed the post about Denise living in an apartment where a previous murder occurred? Can you link that or send the location please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay