AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot to death, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the time difference would be between...4 minutes from when the call came in...and...4 minutes from the time the system calculated the location of where the cell call came from?
The location is almost always provided immediately when the 911 call comes in. The address displays when the dispatcher answers the call unless there is a rare problem.

I agree with a comment a few pages back that the time between hearing the shots and the 911 call might be because Jayme didn't have her phone in her room. Though I'm not a parent, I know some friends lock down the electronics for their kids at night by taking the phone and putting it elsewhere to charge, so they know they aren't on them instead of sleeping. Perhaps she waited to go retrieve it until she felt it was safe(r) to do so--it could have been in her parents' room or even in a common area like the living room.

Some questions I have (well, I have lots, but for right now) and for what it's worth, I know we don't have the answers to these:
1) What is the layout of the house?
2) What time did her dad arrive home from work? Knowing he might have worked at night and gotten home late is very interesting to me.

Could it have been someone who was angry at him and followed him home? Like an argument that started at work and then he left for the night and the person came after him? I don't know; this crime just seems targeted and personal to me. And if her dad did arrive home shortly before this all started....I'd like to look into that angle.

Not too crazy of a conspiracy theory, imo. There was case where a young woman went missing and this guy who was an acquaintance/neighbor/worked in the apartment building kept giving interviews about the search. He was super dramatic when told on camera that she'd been found... and he was her killer. I can't recall the specifics, but I remember that because it was insane. I'm sure that LE pays a lot of attention to such things.

Ariel Castro, the guy who held three young women captive for over 10 years, supposedly was comforting one of the young women's mother at a vigil. And, he was active in the searches and vigils for these women.

Cleveland kidnappings: Suspect Ariel Castro helped search for missing women | The Star

I've been following this case from the beginning, and not much to add other than I am from a small town about two hours north of here (Cable) and family still in that area...

These parts of rural, northern Wisconsin can be pretty remote - or very easy access to extremely remote - areas. These areas tend to be heavily forrested and often accessible only by foot, ATV, or sometimes boat. There are many who actually like the remote lifestyle...some even live off the grid.

It would be very easy to control and conceal a 13 year old :-(

I am most worried about this particular scenario....especially if this abduction was planned.

ETA - I also don't think there are as many homes there with security cameras as we might be used to seeing in city/suburban areas....but... maybe trail-cams!!!
This may be part of the reason they don't want people searching on their own, they risk putting themselves in danger. Jmo

I respect that point of view and I know I often think timing will take longer than it actually does. Seems, though, that after killing 2 people, trying to get a girl (willingly or unwillingly) out of the house and into a car, knowing that the phone was used (probably) and cops might be on the way, and maybe not knowing which way to drive to go wherever (if not a local)...that would mess up the timing in my mind. All hypotheticals and possibilities of course. Maybe perp was a smooth operator and not ruffled by any of those things. jmo

Unless the police were running silent.....the siren would tell the perp to go in the opposite direction so not much decision time needed there. Or it could have been a lucky guess. And I have no doubt that there was some hustling going on to get away fast. But Jayme was probably tied up and just thrown in the car or she was numb with shock and fright, and forced into the car trunk in a hurry. Maybe there were 2 perps.
It's one of my theories that Jayme did not make the 911 call. I think possibly the commotion heard during the call was the resistance to her being taken out the front door, and may be why Dad was killed in that area.
Taking Jayme could have been an impulse that occurred during a home invasion, or she could have been the specific target. I go back and forth with that one.

Correction to early post...the house is located west of Barron...so going east on U.S. 8 back into Barron would be highly unlikely, as they would have run into LE. The suspect almost had to start out going west toward Minnesota...and there are very few side streets along that route.

Hmm makes me wonder if perhaps it was the perp's cell phone? Maybe they dropped it in the chaos and someone was able to dial 911 surreptitiously?
I think the perp was probably busy enough with the gun and getting Jayme out of the house to have his cell phone handy. I suppose it could have dropped from a coat pocket or something, but then the FBI would surely have identified him by now, I would think.
MOO

Wisconsin town on edge

"Investigators still have a “100 percent expectation” that the teen is alive."

Fitzgerald has yet to say how long the parents were dead before the bodies were discovered after the 911 call brought deputies to the home, which is set back in woods along Hwy. 8 just west of town. Family members told CBS News in a telephone interview that the front door of the family’s home was shot in.

At the Barron Area Community Center, where Jim Closs’ name is listed on a board recognizing those who have exercised for 1,000 hours, local resident Mike Swanson said everybody was “on edge, waiting to find out what’s going on here.”

Swanson knew Jim Closs from high school athletics when Closs went to school in Ladysmith, Wis., Swanson said. The family was known as a good family and active in their community, he said.

Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents' slayings

Last edited:
I can't help but think of the Holly Bobo case. Didn't a witness actually see her being drug off into the woods behind her home? It still took forever to find her....Actually, not sure if they ever did....My point is maybe there was no getaway car at all. I know they used infrared, a dog etc...to search but she might just be far enough away or hidden just enough to not be found yet.

That's an interesting theory. Elizabeth Smart was held captive very close to her home after she was kidnapped.

Not that this means much of anything but,

Reclusive?
Active in their community?

Which is it?

Odd that different people seem to be giving completely different descriptions of the family and how known/active/social they were.

I've been following this case from the beginning, and not much to add other than I am from a small town about two hours north of here (Cable) and family still in that area...

These parts of rural, northern Wisconsin can be pretty remote - or very easy access to extremely remote - areas. These areas tend to be heavily forrested and often accessible only by foot, ATV, or sometimes boat. There are many who actually like the remote lifestyle...some even live off the grid.

It would be very easy to control and conceal a 13 year old :-(

I am most worried about this particular scenario....especially if this abduction was planned.

ETA - I also don't think there are as many homes there with security cameras as we might be used to seeing in city/suburban areas....but... maybe trail-cams!!!

To add to my original post, there are lots and lots of remote hunting cabins/sheds where a person could "live".

Ok, so I finally have something real to contribute on this 911 cell thing, thanks to my county sheriff's department. I could not figure out how to enable ES on my phone and I was kind of stressing about the possibility that if I called 911 and couldn't speak, they wouldn't be able to find me immediately. I live in rural IL (Andy Griffith stuff here). I finally just called the sheriff's department to ask if I needed to download an app or something, or if they could find me quickly.

She told me they should be able to find me immediately. Then she asked if I wanted to test it and told me to call 911. So I did. She answered and had my location down within seconds.

I now have no questions about how the police arrived within 4 minutes of the call. The cops would have been at my house by now, before I finished this message because they have the technology, and let's face it, they don't have much more important things to do in a rural community.

Maybe whoever took Jayme didn't travel by car at all; in these woodsy and foresty areas a lot of people ride quads and four-wheelers. Could have been down the railroad tracks in the back of the house as a getaway? MOO
I’n really frustrated over the phone call. I want to believe it was Jayme, because the odds of the perp buttdialing or the parents still being alive 30 minutes after being shot is unlikely (esp considering it’s been said there is no evidence that they were taken to the hospital - forgive me if I’m wrong on this though). At the same time, I understand the 4 minute time crunch is a bit difficult. She would have had to have been leaving right when the call was made, and thought it was her last attempt at getting help. What happened between the 30 minutes of shots being heard, and the phone call/abduction? Do you think she could have been assaulted in that time or told to get ready to leave (put a coat on, shoes, probably some crying and pleading etc.)?

Was sleeping, woke to sound of gunshots, figured out that someone was in house, got out of bed, locked bedroom door and hid...when perp finally figured out where she was and reached her she called 911. What 911 operator heard as “disturbance” was her being taken from home. moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member