• rader_leonard2.jpg
  • rader_leonard3.jpg
Rader, circa 1998

• Missing Since04/01/1998
  • Missing FromMinong, Wisconsin
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age48 years old
  • Height and Weight6'1 - 6'2, 180 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionPossibly carrying a knife, a backpack, and a 9mm pistol with two magazines.
  • Medical ConditionsRader was possibly suicidal at the time of his disappearance. He may have had mental health issues stemming from his experience serving with the military in Vietnam.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Sandy brown hair, blue eyes. Rader may have a beard. He may wear prescription eyeglasses and/or sunglasses. He has gunshot wound scars on his right thigh and left knee, a scar on his right arm where he was burned with hot tar, and scars on his left arm and the right side of his face. He has previously fractured his nose and the right side of his collarbone. Rader's pants size is 34x32, his shirt size is large and his shoe size is 10 or 11.
Details of Disappearance
Rader was last seen by his attorney and his brother in Minong, Wisconsin on April 1, 1998. He has never been heard from again. He had previously left a suicide note for family members. Few details are available in his case
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

most recent I could find Dec 2022

<<At the time, Leonard was possibly suicidal. He had previously left a note for family members. He has had possible mental health issues post-military service in Vietnam.

Leonard is a white male, 6’1”-6’2”, and 180 pounds. He has sandy-colored hair, blue eyes, and is known to have a beard at times.

He has burns from hot tar on his right arm, the right side of his face, and both thighs. He has military-related gunshot wounds involving his right thigh and left knee near his thigh. He has a scar on his left arm. He has previously fractured his right clavicle and has fractured his nose.

It is unknown what Leonard was last wearing, but he wears a size 34 waist, 32” length pants and size large shirts. He wears size 10-11 men’s shoes.

35529d_95f14f51804848b2881d5e5ff1f13b2c~mv2.jpg

He was carrying a backpack, a knife, and may have had a 9mm pistol and 2 magazines for it. He may have also had sunglasses and prescription glasses.

Leonard was 48 years old when he went missing.>>

I located his father’s obituary newspaper clipping on this site.
Pasting the part that mentions the missing subject.

IMG_0955.jpeg

From a News clipping, (Daily Tribune Wisconsin Rapids Nov 24, 1972) he may have been engaged at one time.

“Mr. and Mrs. Henry R. Ebsen 440 Saratoga announce the engagement of their daughter, Jean Patrice, to Leonard Lawrence Rader 830 19th Ave. son of Mr. and Mrs. Leonard L. Rader Waunakee. Miss Ebsen is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, and her fiance is the frozen food manager at the local Red Owl Store.” It’s interesting that she is mentioned in the obit as Jean Ebsen Rader - that would indicate they did get married?

Timeline:
Born approx 1950 (if 48 when he went missing in 1998)
Married sometime after 11/24/1972
Vietnam War ended April 1975 and from previous articles, it appears he served.
Missing 1998

Call me crazy, but I think he’s still alive somewhere, just a hunch.
He would be approx 74.

Last edited:
I don’t think you are crazy but I think if someone leaves a suicide note they probably are dead.

Important to note, the sheriff of his county said he was last seen in SUPERIOR, not in MINONG. This was changed from the original statement.

"Leonard was last seen by his attorney and brother in Superior, WI on 04/01/1998."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back