WI WI - Melisa Davis, 39, Rice Lake, 31 May 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Suspected human remains similar to Ms. Davis' clothing and physical characteristics were seen within the incinerator building. All of the contents within the incinerator building were eventually processed through the incinerator. The Department is continuing its investigation in an ongoing effort to locate Ms. Davis."

Snipped by me from the Rice Lake LE press release linked upthread.

Huh? I'm not quite understanding what is being said here. If her remains were seen in the incinerator building, then why wasn't the incinerator shut down? And if her remains were seen, then why is there an ongoing effort to locate her?

"Suspected human remains similar to Ms. Davis' clothing and physical characteristics were seen within the incinerator building. All of the contents within the incinerator building were eventually processed through the incinerator. The Department is continuing its investigation in an ongoing effort to locate Ms. Davis."

Snipped by me from the Rice Lake LE press release linked upthread.

Huh? I'm not quite understanding what is being said here. If her remains were seen in the incinerator building, then why wasn't the incinerator shut down? And if her remains were seen, then why is there an ongoing effort to locate her?
The remains in the building weren't seen by a person. It was reported they were seen on video, and by that time contents in the building headed for incineration would have already been processed (the article linked says they did search through ash remnants after processing). So shutting it down at the time of discovery of video evidence of her remains even being there would have been far too late to prevent the incineration process, as it had already occurred. Due to possible biohazards normally associated with refuse, items are incinerated very quickly after entering such a facility. I think there was an overall delay in finding out she might have ended up in the facility, as the news reports state she was seen "on foot" (appears to be a witness statement) but it was only later she was found on video entering a dumpster. That evidence would have led them to the refuse processing facility - but again, by then, too late.
Rice Lake Police Issue Updated Press Release Regarding Melissa Davis

Suspected human remains similar to missing woman’s seen within incinerator building

I was able to find her county court records in Barron County. (please note, there's another Melissa Davis, same age, in the WI court system in that same area but that person doesn't have a middle name OR initial listed and has a record of hearing attendance this summer so NOT the same M.R.D.)

At the time Melissa went missing she was on probation for bail jumping from an earlier charge (one of several bailing jumping charges over the last 5 years) Terms of probation:
Must not possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Must not possess or consume controlled substances or drug paraphernalia. May not go onto any premises where alcohol is sold. Must complete any and all evaluations, counseling, treatment and follow-up recommended by Probation Agent. Must report to Department of Corrections Office in Rice Lake". Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Prior charges 1/3/2023 Disorderly Conduct (just in Barron county, there are likely others in other counties, as the OWI charges in Barron county are 3rd offence, and there's no record of a 1st or 2nd offence in that county, unless I missed it)
12/2022 Resisting or Obstruction a (Law Enforcement) Officer
2/11/2020 Felony Bail Jumping
8/6/2019 Operating with PAC (Prohibited Alcohol Concentration) 3rd offence.
8/6/2019 Operating While Intoxicated (3rd offence)
8/6/2019 Felony Bail Jumping
6/22/2016 Criminal Damage and Operating While Revoked (revoked due to alcohol/controlled substance/refusal)
8/4/2015 Judgement for monies owed for child support/maintenance (that referenced child not living with her)
3/23/2011 Paternity Case
1/9/2009 - Paternity Case
Prior to that, numerous financial judgements (creditors)

In looking at the history - it appears she was dealing with alcohol addiction in my opinion, likely long term. It explains much but doesn't make it any less tragic. I hope you are at peace finally. Melissa - alcoholism is a terrible disease as I have seen personally in my own biological family. (I came out of foster care, raised by two LEO's).

I was able to find her county court records in Barron County. (please note, there's another Melissa Davis, same age, in the WI court system in that same area but that person doesn't have a middle name OR initial listed and has a record of hearing attendance this summer so NOT the same M.R.D.)

At the time Melissa went missing she was on probation for bail jumping from an earlier charge (one of several bailing jumping charges over the last 5 years) Terms of probation:
Must not possess or consume alcoholic beverages. Must not possess or consume controlled substances or drug paraphernalia. May not go onto any premises where alcohol is sold. Must complete any and all evaluations, counseling, treatment and follow-up recommended by Probation Agent. Must report to Department of Corrections Office in Rice Lake". Wisconsin Circuit Court Access

Prior charges 1/3/2023 Disorderly Conduct (just in Barron county, there are likely others in other counties, as the OWI charges in Barron county are 3rd offence, and there's no record of a 1st or 2nd offence in that county, unless I missed it)
12/2022 Resisting or Obstruction a (Law Enforcement) Officer
2/11/2020 Felony Bail Jumping
8/6/2019 Operating with PAC (Prohibited Alcohol Concentration) 3rd offence.
8/6/2019 Operating While Intoxicated (3rd offence)
8/6/2019 Felony Bail Jumping
6/22/2016 Criminal Damage and Operating While Revoked (revoked due to alcohol/controlled substance/refusal)
8/4/2015 Judgement for monies owed for child support/maintenance (that referenced child not living with her)
3/23/2011 Paternity Case
1/9/2009 - Paternity Case
Prior to that, numerous financial judgements (creditors)

In looking at the history - it appears she was dealing with alcohol addiction in my opinion, likely long term. It explains much but doesn't make it any less tragic. I hope you are at peace finally. Melissa - alcoholism is a terrible disease as I have seen personally in my own biological family. (I came out of foster care, raised by two LEO's).
@GraceG thank you so much for your detailed research. I find it incredibly sad that this woman came to a place where it seems she concluded that the only option left was to put herself into a dumpster, as if she were worthless. IMO, it appears she knew she would not walk out. How lonely she must have felt, how alone. Tragic, indeed.

@GraceG thank you so much for your detailed research. I find it incredibly sad that this woman came to a place where it seems she concluded that the only option left was to put herself into a dumpster, as if she were worthless. IMO, it appears she knew she would not walk out. How lonely she must have felt, how alone. Tragic, indeed.
If she was inebriated she may have hit her head climbing into the dumpster, became incapacitated/unconscious/deceased and was dumped on the facility's conveyor belt going into the incinerator. The articles do not say whether there was/wasn't a conveyor belt operator whose job it was to look for suspicious items. We'll never know.

I wonder how many other unsolved disappearances around the country fit this same scenario? And even if a body goes to the landfill instead, it still may never be found.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
culley2821
Back