WI WI - Nicholas Hietpas, 22, & dog, vehicle found abandoned in Oconto Co., Appleton, 1 Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I cannot bring over the link per TOS from the organization that did the five day extensive grid search for NH last May, but it is worth looking at their messages because it appears that the family is working closely with them and exchanging leads etc. They are the group that did the updated flyer that is on this thread early on. This is heartening because there is apparently much work being done following up leads on Samantha in particular.

I cannot bring over the link per TOS from the organization that did the five day extensive grid search for NH last May, but it is worth looking at their messages because it appears that the family is working closely with them and exchanging leads etc. They are the group that did the updated flyer that is on this thread early on. This is heartening because there is apparently much work being done following up leads on Samantha in particular.
www.mibsar.com is the main website which is easy to find on Facebook but uses the lead investigators name. The family has identified themselves in the comments. Super happy to hear there is a ongoing search while the weather is good.

Bumping Nicholas and Samantha again, they sooo need a break in this ! Praying for them both and for strength for the family and friends ! Please say a little prayer and share their case ! TIA MOO

Last edited:
The Appleton Police Department re posted the missing flyer yesterday and many have replied to it. Nothing really new other than quite a few reports of white GSDs having been turned in. His mom has replied that they are being checked out.
So little is being shared or is on line that it is hard to sleuth because his disappearance could be a walk away or self harm or foul play.

Also checked the Oconto County Sheriff Dept. for an update and there was none. They have been devastated by that tornado and the clean-up and power restoration that I am sure they have no time to look for NH since there has been no update of information for a couple of months now.

Last edited:
Lots of comments on white Shepard's, and prayers that never hurts. Hoping clean up crews clearing trails or roads might happen upon NH and Samantha. Friends that may know aren't sharing info. Glad for Appleton working with family !

More appeals for public's help from LE, nothing new that I could find. Praying for Nicholas and Samantha and for the family. Wish I could send a huge hug to Mom and Dad !! I imagine Nicholas could use a big hug too right now...sure hope if they are in those woods they found shelter from that crazy storm.MOO

It is very odd that even if Nicholas chose to take his own life, which for some reason I just cannot bring myself to believe, that the dog was not let go. If she was truly a service animal, I think he would have let her go so she could be found and help someone else. It's troubling that she was not micro-chipped which service animals usually are. I just have to wonder if he left and started a new life but that doesn't seem plausible either. We just don't have enough info.

I just keep searching and checking for updates. Praying for them and learning a lot more about Wisconsin while I'm looking

I don't even know where to look anymore. I, too, find it hard to think he took his own life mainly because of Samantha. But the questions that need to be answered to go down that path are many. Did he have a gun, did he leave a note, does his family think that is what happened etc.?
Then, on the other hand, if he left to start a new life, why did he leave his vehicle behind, what is he doing for money, etc.?
Why does he have a service animal?
So many questions, so little information, so much anguish and frustration.

Tuesdays FB post from mibsar.com - lots of links below.

NICHOLAS HIETPAS MISSING-PERSON CASE UPDATE (Mountain, Wisconsin): Team MibSAR recently completed a multi-day sign-cutting operation in search of evidence related to Nick Hietpas' disappearance in the 1.5-million-acre Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest. Nick was last heard from on April 1, 2019. An ATV rider found his black, 2012 Ford Fusion along a forest road near the junction of Highway 64 and Shadow Lake Road, west of Mountain, Wisconsin, in Oconto County. A tarp and camping gear were found near the vehicle, and his dog’s unclasped collar was found a half mile away. Investigators and Nick's parents describe him as follows: hometown of Appleton, Wisconsin; age 22; white male; 6'; 200 lbs; normal build; brown eyes; short brown hair; small ribbon-type tattoo on inside of left wrist; likely wearing a green-lettered “Get Your Gooch On” black hooded sweatshirt, American Eagle blue jeans, and mustard-colored steel-toed work boots. Nick was accompanied by Samantha, his white German Shepard (65 lbs, brown eyes, spayed, not chipped).
>> TIPS: If you know anything about Nicholas' disappearance, or his current whereabouts, report it to the Oconto County Sheriff’s Office at 920.834.6900 or anonymously via Crime Stoppers at TipSubmit.com.

>> Green Bay Press Gazette (Green Bay, Wisconsin) coverage of Nicholas' case:
• April 24, 2019 Information sought on missing Appleton man; car found in Oconto County
• April 25, 2019 Three searches conducted in northern Oconto County for missing Appleton man Nicholas Hietpas
• May 2, 2019 Sheriff: Visitors to Oconto Co. this weekend could help find missing Appleton man

>> www.MibSAR.com • Read Team MibSAR's international 'Special Operations Blog' for SAR operators at SAR Special Operations Blog • #TeamMibSAR • #PayItForward

Glad searchers are looking . Was hoping the increased activity and greater numbers of people in the area for clean up and power Restoration in the area would give some possible clues or sightings . At least increase the number of people that know about Nicholas status. Thanks for update:)

There is so much we don't know that helps to shape the picture of his disappearance.
Are his keys and wallet missing?
Was he setting up the campsite or taking it down when he left?
Were there any other tire marks around the site? Were they car or ATV, if present?
Why did he have a service animal? Was Samantha really a service animal (only mentioned by one FB entry and not microchipped) or just a constant companion?
And, most importantly, what do his parents think happened to him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NonakaYori
Back