Identified! WI - Racine Co., WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, cauliflower ear, western shirt, July'99 - Peggy Lynn Johnson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone considered that perhaps she had caregivers or a guardian. Is it possible she was receiving disability or SS from a deceased parent, or such, that was handled by her caregiver(s) and when she reached adulthood she was tossed.. I have been reading cases of victims of abuse with cauliflower ear and most of them were abused by a caretaker/parent/sibling over time. Also read a case that hit recently of people being kept in a cellar (some for many years)and their SS payments and or welfare were being kept by their captors. These people lived in gross conditions, were abused, starved, and also had the cauliflower ears.

Well, it's funny you should mention that, because although this Jane Doe was tentatively linked to the murder that Jason Strong was convicted of--body found in state park land in Waukegan, not far south of the Wisconsin border, and only about half a year later--the conviction in that murder, of Mary Kay Sundelin, troubles some.

Jason Strong was connected to the murder of Mary Kay Sundelin by a fellow named Jeremy Tweedy, who claimed that Strong had picked up Sundelin along the highway, and with a friend, Jason Johnson, had disrobed her and tied her to a bed (which Tweedy said she permitted), then tortured her in the motel room in which he lived, and beat her with a booze bottle. Tweedy claimed that he'd left after he witnessed this, returning several hours later, to find Strong and his pal carrying the body to his vehicle, to get rid of it. He'd helped them carry the body (why you'd need someone to help 2 other people when she was so tiny, we don't know) to the vehicle and gone for the ride, but got out before they disposed of her in the forest. He was sentenced to 2 years for his part in abetting the crime of disposal, and for covering up evidence.

Two of these guys worked in an 'adult book store' near a strip club on I-94. Tweedy told some version of his story, which had many versions, to a policewoman posing as a prostitute outside of this strip club. He apparently told a lot of versions of his tale to investigators. After these guys were put away, though, other information surfaced. After Sunderlin disappeared, but before her body was identified, her family hired a private investigator to see if they could find her. She was a dependent adult with mental challenges, and her parents and siblings were legal guardians. Unbeknownst to them, she had married a guy with a criminal record, who was also mentally challenged. How that could occur without permission of her guardians, assuming that thy were guardians in the legal sense, I don't understand. The PI also discovered that certain caretakers, a woman and her daughter, had accessed Sunderlin's accounts through her ATM card, withdrawing several hundred dollars just before she went missing. Someone posing as her sister attempted to get a replacement card for her account after she went missing, but failed. The mother died in 2005, and the sister refused to speak to the Chicago Tribune when they wrote a piece criticizing police for not re-opening their investigation in light of the PI's information and Jason Strong's attempt to get a new trial on that basis, and because he claimed that his confession had been coerced. The court ruled against a new trial, at any rate, even though Tweedy's many versions of the events were very leaky.

It was on the basis of Strong's supposedly coerced confession that it was determined that his motive for killing Sunderlin was that he had caught her rifling through his possessions after taking her to his motel room. Somehow, it was established, though, that the shirt she was found wearing belonged to Strong. Strong's counsel did not dispute that she'd been killed in Sunderlin's room, but offered the strange defense that Sunderlin had gone into his bathroom while the deceased was partying there, and re-emerged to find her dead at the hands of Johnson and Tweedy.

In both cases, the deceased had been tortured and was found to be malnourished, but in the case of Racine County Jane Doe, the abuse was thought to have occurred over the period of 2-4 weeks, which would have been hard to conceal in a motel room, one would think. The two disposal sites are about 30 miles apart, both close to I-94/41. In both cases, the victims were found wearing men's clothes.

I'll not disparage the police work of the undercover officer who got Tweedy's initial story, but I will point out that it was great good luck to have gotten a random someone to volunteer information outside of Baby Dolls strip club, and I agree with the Tribune writer that justice might have been better served by re-opening this investigation to get more information regarding the various parties connected with Sunderlin, particularly as they might have shed light on what happened to Racine County Jane Doe. I'd like to know, for example, just what the relation was that put the mother and daughter in some caretaker capacity for Sunderlin. Were they contracted through local social services? Did they have background checks? What actual forensic evidence linked Sunderlin with Strong, Johnson and Tweedy?

I wonder whether this UID could be Lori Ann Krueger (see bottom image). Krueger was accused and later charged with abducting her daughter, Stacy Ann Kathleen Rudolph, then 13, from Medford, WI, (east of Eau Claire) on December 2, 2000, but the details are very sketchy, and obviously, as Lori Krueger is presumed a fugitive felon, you won't find her on the missing persons sites. Stacy has no DNA available, which isn't surprising considering that her mother is missing.

The thing is, the UID and Lori resemble one another facially enough that I think it's worthwhile asking . . . when was the last time someone saw Lori?

Lori%20Krueger.jpg

Height and weight match well with Racine County Jane Doe, and eye and hair color are okay, though her age, 30, would be at the high limit estimated. Her daughter went missing a year and a half after the UID was discovered, and given the state of her relations with the daughter's father, and her absence, it would seem a reasonable thing to assume the daughter left with her. But 13 years is a long time to go without resurfacing.

Interestingly, 10 years before Stacy and her mother went missing, a Kerry Aileen O'Brien-Krueger went missing from Burlington, WI, which is close to Raymond, where the body of Racine Jane Doe was discovered, under strange circumstances.

Now, admittedly, there are a lot of Kruegers in Wisconsin. Even so, it seems odd that a couple of people with the same surname should have gone missing in the span of 10 years from the same state. I'm wondering whether the Taylor County police ever established exactly when and where Lori was last seen. She wasn't charged with the abduction of her daughter until 2002.

I wonder whether this UID could be Lori Ann Krueger (see bottom image). Krueger was accused and later charged with abducting her daughter, Stacy Ann Kathleen Rudolph, then 13, from Medford, WI, (east of Eau Claire) on December 2, 2000, but the details are very sketchy, and obviously, as Lori Krueger is presumed a fugitive felon, you won't find her on the missing persons sites. Stacy has no DNA available, which isn't surprising considering that her mother is missing.

The thing is, the UID and Lori resemble one another facially enough that I think it's worthwhile asking . . . when was the last time someone saw Lori?

Lori%20Krueger.jpg

Height and weight match well with Racine County Jane Doe, and eye and hair color are okay, though her age, 30, would be at the high limit estimated. Her daughter went missing a year and a half after the UID was discovered, and given the state of her relations with the daughter's father, and her absence, it would seem a reasonable thing to assume the daughter left with her. But 13 years is a long time to go without resurfacing.

Interestingly, 10 years before Stacy and her mother went missing, a Kerry Aileen O'Brien-Krueger went missing from Burlington, WI, which is close to Raymond, where the body of Racine Jane Doe was discovered, under strange circumstances.

Now, admittedly, there are a lot of Kruegers in Wisconsin. Even so, it seems odd that a couple of people with the same surname should have gone missing in the span of 10 years from the same state. I'm wondering whether the Taylor County police ever established exactly when and where Lori was last seen. She wasn't charged with the abduction of her daughter until 2002.

Except that Krueger went missing 3 years after Rancine Doe was found.

Lori%20Krueger.jpg

Do we know if Racine JD gave birth?

Except that Krueger went missing 3 years after Rancine Doe was found.

No, Krueger's daughter went missing almost a year and a half after Racine County Jane Doe was found. Krueger was charged with abducting her daughter a little more than 3 years after Racine County Jane Doe was found. When Krueger herself was last seen is not clear from accounts that I've seen.

It says Krueger went missing in 2000. Maybe someone didn't report her missing for a year? Or possibly six months after she was found? These pictures look alike enough this is worth checking out.
Everything matches. They are both reported to be 5.8. Jane Doe was reported at 120 pounds, Krueger was reported as being 125 pounds. Eye color both reported as brown. Racine is only four hours from Medford. Even their hair matches other then the cut. And it would make sense that she would have cut her hair if she was on the run.
If it wasn't for the dates on when Krueger went missing I'd be getting excited thinking a match had finally been found.

It says Krueger went missing in 2000. Maybe someone didn't report her missing for a year? Or possibly six months after she was found? These pictures look alike enough this is worth checking out.
Everything matches. They are both reported to be 5.8. Jane Doe was reported at 120 pounds, Krueger was reported as being 125 pounds. Eye color both reported as brown. Racine is only four hours from Medford. Even their hair matches other then the cut. And it would make sense that she would have cut her hair if she was on the run.
If it wasn't for the dates on when Krueger went missing I'd be getting excited thinking a match had finally been found.

I agree......the resemblance is uncanny......I wish we had a LKA date on her instead of just a missing date based on her daughters abduction.

Thanks for the encouragement. I emailed it in to the Racine County Sheriff. I'll wait a little bit, then follow up by phone if necessary.

Lori was a non-custodial mother, apparently had Stacy at the age of 17. I'm sure, since Stacy was in school, that her missing date is pretty accurate, but what if Lori fell between the cracks? It might have been reasonable for Mr. Rudolph, the birth father, to suppose that the absent birth mother had taken the absent daughter, but when was anyone up there actually in touch with Lori? There's only one photo available for Lori, that I can find, online. It doesn't seem that her family has been very inquisitive about her disappearance, and I can't find any online discussions regarding Stacy's disappearance, either.

Anyway, I told them I thought it was worth a call to the Taylor County Sheriff.

We've seen uncanny resemblances not pan out before, but geez. Even the arch of the eyebrows is right.

I've been going back and forth from Jane Doe's post mortem picture to Lori Ann Krueger ever sense last night. I can't make my mind up. What do you guys think?
Warning graphic post mortem picture on the link I am going to share at the end of this post.

There are more similarities here then there are differences. Is anyone els here thinking what I am? Or could I be way off here? But what are the possibilities that someone tortured this woman and then had to silence her daughter? Maybe if there was some type of past drug use or instability the police didn't question it much?
I hate to say this but I grew up not far from Medford at all and I have never once in the past 14 years ever once heard of these two women missing. Not a single world. So why would anyone down by Racine ever hear about this woman?
I hate to say this as well but it is in my opinion that sometimes it is easy to pull a fast one small town cops who have little recourses. Just like in Prairie du Chien WI with Shannon Fisher.
IDK maybe we are all way off here and LE has all ready looked into this but I think this was a really good find and I'm praying to god this might actually lead to Jane Doe's identity not that it would make me happy that it would mean Lori isn't alive and well then. But where did she go?
Her daughter would be 26 years old at this point. A year younger then me and I'm sorry but I would remember my mother taking me away from my family 13-14 years ago and would go find them. Where are both of these women?
Could this all have been due to extreme domestic abuse to the point that even the daughter fell victim to the domestic abuse?
Good find. Please let us know what you find out. Thank you for posting this. And below is a link of Jane Doe's post mortem picture, I can't make my mind up on if I think it's her or not. What do you guys think? Because the drawing of our Jane Doe sure does seem to be her.

http://missingmadeleine.forumotion....arning-this-page-includes-a-post-mortem-image

Thanks for the encouragement. I emailed it in to the Racine County Sheriff. I'll wait a little bit, then follow up by phone if necessary.

Lori was a non-custodial mother, apparently had Stacy at the age of 17. I'm sure, since Stacy was in school, that her missing date is pretty accurate, but what if Lori fell between the cracks? It might have been reasonable for Mr. Rudolph, the birth father, to suppose that the absent birth mother had taken the absent daughter, but when was anyone up there actually in touch with Lori? There's only one photo available for Lori, that I can find, online. It doesn't seem that her family has been very inquisitive about her disappearance, and I can't find any online discussions regarding Stacy's disappearance, either.

Anyway, I told them I thought it was worth a call to the Taylor County Sheriff.

Thanks for reporting this. Please let us know what you find out. I'm very interested in this. I just can't get over how if you look close enough even the earrings seem to match. Everything actually seems to match other then dates and even those are not far off.

Although there are indeed similarities, the teeth IMO are way too perfect, at least in the photo of Lori. Still worth a try.

Doe anyone else get a creepy feeling when they see this Jane Doe?

I am hoping that someone is still trying to find out who this poor soul is! I stumbled across this site when I was looking at pics of the unidentified on youtube. For the life of me I can't fathom how people fall through the cracks! I was blessed to have grown up in a loving, safe family... and to think of someone dying in such a horrid manner and not one lead as to who they are? It makes me so sad and crazy... and angry too!

When I first saw Racine Jane Doe I saw a video her on youtube... and I will admit... the photo with her eyes open... it gave me such a creepy feeling. I have looked at MANY, MANY post mortem photos (with eyes open or shut) and I haven't a clue why, but looking at her gives me the chills! I actually shiver! I do so want someone to claim her, someone to find out who she is. I've actually dreamed about her! I hope once we know who she is I will stop shivering!

Much like caledonia doe, my feeling is that she was murdered by family. There is no indication that there was a serial killer. I wonder why they think she was mentally disabled though.

Someone suggested Beth Ricketts on her FB page. Not sure if she's been looked at but there is no DNA in NamUs

I am hoping that someone is still trying to find out who this poor soul is! I stumbled across this site when I was looking at pics of the unidentified on youtube. For the life of me I can't fathom how people fall through the cracks! I was blessed to have grown up in a loving, safe family... and to think of someone dying in such a horrid manner and not one lead as to who they are? It makes me so sad and crazy... and angry too!

When I first saw Racine Jane Doe I saw a video her on youtube... and I will admit... the photo with her eyes open... it gave me such a creepy feeling. I have looked at MANY, MANY post mortem photos (with eyes open or shut) and I haven't a clue why, but looking at her gives me the chills! I actually shiver! I do so want someone to claim her, someone to find out who she is. I've actually dreamed about her! I hope once we know who she is I will stop shivering!

Not sure if you saw my post 11/8/13, she's been exhumed to have new technology testing done & according to my post which I quoted below; the press conference they had generated new leads.

Jane Doe's body exhumed for testing; Sheriff 'determined' to ID her
New technology has come out that could potentially provide investigators with information about her life in the weeks, months and even years prior to her death, the release said. This information could help identify her and lead investigators to the people responsible for her death.

Racine Jane Doe investigation continues with new leads
Posted on: 9:29 pm, October 25, 2013, by Ben Handelman, updated on: 10:25pm, October 25, 2013

Earlier in October, the body was exhumed and sent to Milwaukee where a forensic anthropologist has joined the case.

“Through the study of her bones, we can tell where she was born and was raised. We’re hoping based on that geographically where she is from, and her age group, we might be able to identify her,” said Racine County Sheriff Christopher Schmeling.

A press conference two weeks ago also generated new leads.

“I’m not at liberty to discuss what that information is or where we are at with it, but I can tell you the last press conference did produce some tips,” said Schmeling.

Authorities will continue to work on the case in the hopes of providing closure to the woman’s unknown loved ones.

Earlier, I'd mentioned a woman named Sundelin, who was mentally challenged, who turned up murdered in Waukegan, near the Illinois-Wisconsin border. A guy named Tweedy told an undercover officer that the murder had been committed by a friend named Jason Strong and an accomplice, and Strong was convicted.

Another theory is that Racine Jane Doe may have been an immigrant. The template there would be Paul Runge, who in the course of his seemingly short but lurid career murdered the Bosnian immigrant sisters Pasbegovic (never recovered). The remains of a prior Runge victim were discovered hacked into pieces, mostly in far northeastern Illinois, but one bit in Wisconsin. The idea is that Chicago is well placed to be a hub for international human smuggling, though the Pasbegovics were in the US legally as Bosnian war refugees.

There's another Wisconsin UID, known only by her head, discovered in a plastic bag. Her eyes are far-set and her nose is flattened in the reconstructions. They reckon, too, that she was likely mentally challenged from some syndrome.

Police have done a lot to try to ID these people, and they've had no luck. They are looking for reasons to explain why these people might have been isolated enough that nobody recognizes them, and to some extent, they're trying to fit them into templates with which they're familiar.

I should mention that yesterday I called in to say that I'd not received a response to my email regarding Lori Krueger, and left a voice mail outlining my idea for the investigator. Today I received from her a short email saying they value input from citizens. So, apparently, there's nothing there.

Sheriff pleads for leads in Jane Doe case October 18, 2013
The priority is to identify the woman, said Schmaling at a Thursday press conference at the county Law Enforcement Center, 717 Wisconsin Ave., and he is confident that new technology, like DNA and bone analysis, will be able to generate leads and give a more precise estimate of her age, which is currently put at between 13 and 35.

Schmaling also introduced Tracy Hintz, the investigator who has taken primary responsibility for the case. Whom to call A press release urged anyone with information to contact Hintz by email at tracy.hintz@goRacine.org or on Facebook at “Jane Doe Racine County, Wisconsin.”

RAW VIDEO: Sheriff on difficult decision to exhume body

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member