WI WI - Robert Christian, 18, Madison, 16 Sept 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
With the new information; Bow missing, bullet holes in swapped tires and Bob's hubcaps, and Randy's mom calling Bob's family:

6) What are the odds that 2 people from the same family would be murdered(as it now looks for Bob) a few years apart? This is statistically significant, and if nothing else, points to something going on in the family environment. Both Bob and his sister had exceedingly bad judgement and become victims? There is more to the associations involved with these people than a clean cut graduation photo. While there may be no direct tie with the bikers, there is some other thread here that caused these 2 people from the same family to be involved in risky circumstances. There has to be more info to get a Picture of Bob and what he might of have done for example: a) what if he was confronted by a group of people, on foot or in a car? b) How likely would he have been to pick up hitchhikers? c) what is the possibility that he was more interested in pot or drugs than deer? d) how reliable was he at showing up on time, etc...?
7) Exactly why was his sister murdered? We know it was bikers, but was a reason given? Earlier, think someone said she was an informant. This strikes me as strange. Girl hangs around with dangerous bikers and then squeals on them. That's playing with fire. If Bob's sister had those kind of balls, one wonders what Bob was capable of. Or was she having no fear of death because of her missing brother? Psychologists, help me out here.

Snipped by me. From an article I linked early on, it states that his sister died in a fire at a bar. Later, it was found that the fire was started by some bikers and they were found guilty of her murder. For all we know, she was a totally innocent person in the wrong place at the wrong time. She might not have even SEEN her murderers. The bikers might not have known that she was even in the bar. Since LE thinks that there is no connection between Bob's disappearance and (years later) his sister's murder, I think that is a strong possibility that they are not linked.
Also in the earlier writeup- it was noted that Bob had been to Randy's house numerous times and was familiar with the area. So if he was to go to Randy's house, I would imagine that the witness sighting would suggest that Bob was meeting someone else or very confused. MOO

I wonder if LE just searched public land? Maybe Randy is on private land.

Supposedly, Randy only had 20 bucks on him, so this suggests he wasn't buying a lot of drugs. The $20. was found in his glove box, which suggests he didn't touch it since withdrawing it from the bank. Could he legally drink in Wisconsin back then?

Another thought . . If Bob was meeting someone in the Baraboo area, Randy must have known the individual.

Supposedly, Randy only had 20 bucks on him, so this suggests he wasn't buying a lot of drugs. The $20. was found in his glove box, which suggests he didn't touch it since withdrawing it from the bank. Could he legally drink in Wisconsin back then?

Another thought . . If Bob was meeting someone in the Baraboo area, Randy must have known the individual.

Yes, he could legally drink then. The legal drinking age was 18 in 1977 and wasn't raised to 21 until 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

Maybe the person, who stole the tires and bow, was responsible for Robert's disappearance. They knew he wasn't going to come back to the car, because they took him away from the area. Some people can be crazy.

Just a thought . . .

Right now the greatest interest in this case is Randy. We need to either hear from Randy, or find out why we haven't heard much about Randy in relations to this case. If Randy is willing to talk, I believe new evidence will come out in this case. If Randy is not willing to talk, it is likely that he knows something. Maybe not so much as what happened to Bob, but I think Randy knows more to the story, than has been published.

A present interview with Randy would help, even a past interview. There's too much information about Randy that is unknown, and that's sad. Bob and his family need closure, and I would think Randy as a good friend would want to help. Unless, Randy was involved with Bob's disappearance in some way, or was threatened by those who were responsible for Bob's disappearance. Maybe Randy was told, if he talked, something bad would happen to him and/or his family. This would explain why communications with Randy are so limited in this case. Randy may have understandably been concerned for his own safety in this situation. An example of this might be a drug deal gone bad.

However, there is no evidence of that. We have a missing person, a stripped car, and very little information about the gentlemen whom Bob was supposed to be going to see.

The only thing that I am fairly certain of just as a premonition, was that Bob, DID NOT just take off on his own. I suspect a terrible accident or murder here, but why, and the reasons behind it remain unknown.

Satch

If Randy felt threatened back then, I don't know why he wouldn't come out now and tell LE what he knows. He and Bob were just kids back then- I think being scared is understandable.

Do we even know if Randy is still alive.

If Randy felt threatened back then, I don't know why he wouldn't come out now and tell LE what he knows. He and Bob were just kids back then- I think being scared is understandable.

Do we even know if Randy is still alive.

I found someone with the same name as Randy's living in Baraboo. Chances are it is him, but I do not know for sure. Too bad, someone close to this case is not here to help. They may have some info beyond what has been published. I also wonder if Bob's other friends have any clues or have heard a rumor over the years. Since they are in their 50s now, maybe they'll feel freer to talk about certain things that may have been going on back then. Also, did Bob have a girlfriend?

I thought Bob said he was supposed "to meet" his friend where he was, not that "he lived" there? I don't think making blunts was very common back in the 70's? I don't remember people mixing tobacco and weed, but perhaps I was only exposed to "pureists?" I thought the whole blunt trend started more recently?

No, blunts were common in the 70's, though I don't remember hearing that particular term until quite a bit later. In my high school, they were often called "Mexican cigars" or, um, I'm forgetting the other name. Mix, maybe? Anyway, they were quite popular because if you did them well, you could smoke them at concerts and stuff without the giveaway weed smell.

I know this all second hand, of course. Nothing to see here, move along, move along. :D

Extremly sad case. Has anyone heard any info on the friend randy? He could fill in the missing pieces of this puzzle.

This case would be a good story for an investigative reporter to cover. A newspaper story may bring out some additional info or someone may come forward with info. It is sad that this case hasn't been solved.

This case would be a good story for an investigative reporter to cover. A newspaper story may bring out some additional info or someone may come forward with info. It is sad that this case hasn't been solved.

Even knowing if Randy was interviewed by LE, and the answers he gave could help open up this investigation again. Did he ever talk? Has he pleaded the Fifth all these years, and if so, why? And if Randy is innocent, why hasn't he come forward? How much or little did Randy assist in the investigation back in 1977?

I agree with the consensus of the posters above. The more details that can be found about Randy, the more likely this case will be solved, and we will find out what happened to Bob.

Satch

Hey there, new poster here so forgive me if I screw something up. Stumbled across this story and couldn't stop reading probobly because I live near this area. Just wanted to throw my two cents in about some things.
1. I could totally see how he could get lost (ending up in that person's driveway), this area is very rural, there are no streetlights, heck since we've moved from the city I've drove right past the street we turn on to get to our house numerous times when it's dark outside.
2. Also think the scenario with him being accidentally killed by a hunter could be possible, wouldn't be the first time I've heard that happen before, the person freaks out and doesn't know what to do so they bury/dispose of the body. I'm not saying this is what happeded and it's just my opinion.
3. Someone mentioned the Outlaws earlier being involved and I highly doubt that's the case seeing that they've never had a chapter in this area.
4. Lee Cutler's case seams so eerily similar to this.

Hey there, new poster here so forgive me if I screw something up. Stumbled across this story and couldn't stop reading probobly because I live near this area. Just wanted to throw my two cents in about some things.
1. I could totally see how he could get lost (ending up in that person's driveway), this area is very rural, there are no streetlights, heck since we've moved from the city I've drove right past the street we turn on to get to our house numerous times when it's dark outside.
2. Also think the scenario with him being accidentally killed by a hunter could be possible, wouldn't be the first time I've heard that happen before, the person freaks out and doesn't know what to do so they bury/dispose of the body. I'm not saying this is what happeded and it's just my opinion.
3. Someone mentioned the Outlaws earlier being involved and I highly doubt that's the case seeing that they've never had a chapter in this area.
4. Lee Cutler's case seams so eerily similar to this.

Good scenerios!

However, in contrast, if Bob was going to see Randy and knew where Randy lived, it would be hard pressed IMO for him to get lost. However, if Bob was looking for another friend who wasn't Randy, he could have gotten lost because maybe Bob did not know where the other friend lived.

Randy could be totally innocent as well. Bob could have possibly picked up a hitchhiker who claimed to be a stranded motorist. Or could he have met a tragic fate at a bar? If the person or person's involved with Bob's disappearance also "stripped" parts of the car, it is interesting and mysterious as to why they would take the time to do that.

Satch

Yeah, I don't know Satch, this whole case just baffles me. I really don't think Randy had anything to do with this, as he was suppose to be at home waiting for Rob to show up, why would Randy leave knowing his friend was on his way? I know some people suggested that they thought Randy was in trouble and Rob was going to help him but, they didn't have cell phones back then, how would they have gotten in touch with each other to meet somewhere else? Someone HAD to know that Rob was "gone" because no one is going to strip a car like that so fast not knowing if the owner wasn't near by. I think Rob was either abducted somehow, killed by a hunter, or he staged this on his own.

I think it was possible. He supposedly planned to check his tree stand,
RSBM:

He was going to check the tree stand on the way to Randy's according to his parents. It was also the first weekend of the season- which means Bob had not used the tree stand since the end of bow/deer season the year before- or another bow/different animal season.

Safe/smart hunters always check their tree stand before the first hunt of each season; to make sure no materials are needed for repairs due to damage from weather, etc., and to ascertain it's overall safety/stability.

I definitely can see him taking a fall from the stand- and hitting his head. Disoriented, driving to wrong home- and leaving and parking where the car was found. After that..??

We had a young woman die here due to a fall from a rotten deerstand.

Yeah, I don't know Satch, this whole case just baffles me. I really don't think Randy had anything to do with this, as he was suppose to be at home waiting for Rob to show up, why would Randy leave knowing his friend was on his way? I know some people suggested that they thought Randy was in trouble and Rob was going to help him but, they didn't have cell phones back then, how would they have gotten in touch with each other to meet somewhere else? Someone HAD to know that Rob was "gone" because no one is going to strip a car like that so fast not knowing if the owner wasn't near by. I think Rob was either abducted somehow, killed by a hunter, or he staged this on his own.

Fascinating that the thought occurs of Bob staging the scene! To me that seems far-fetched, but so much of this case is out of the ordinary that anything is possible. If Randy's Mother was a "longtime friend" of the family as I had read, the more I think about it, it doesn't really add up to some believing that Randy was/is a bad guy. We don't know.

I'd like to know the conversation with Randy's Mother and Bob's family concerning what exactly was said! Important communication could have existed as to where Randy was at the time and any specific plans that he and Bob may have made when they were supposed to meet and do whatever they were planning to do.

Satch

Wasn't Randy home the whole night with his mom (and possibly other family members)? That is IIRC. I pretty much figure that Randy had nothing to do with Rob's disappearance. JMO

Wasn't Randy home the whole night with his mom (and possibly other family members)? That is IIRC. I pretty much figure that Randy had nothing to do with Rob's disappearance. JMO

That's what I am thinking as well. But the conversation with Randy's Mom, could be interesting with regard to the case.

Randy Questions

Did Randy tell his Mother his plans with Bob specifically or just in general context?

Is it still somewhat odd to anybody that even if Randy is innocent, and just assume for the sake of this post he is. Why is it that:

1.) There is no public information AFAIK from LE on any conversation with Randy. Why?

2.) If you were in Randy's place, wouldn't you WANT to get involved to find out what happened to your friend? (Unless there was foul play involved in Bob's disappearance and Randy felt threatened?) I still feel that is the only legitimate reason why Randy may not have come forward with any information.

Car Questions?

Some questions from a link on Robert's case from Project Jason.org:

http://projectjason.org/forums/topic/777-missing-man-robert-lewis-christian-wi-09161977/

1.) What do they mean "The car was lying flat on the ground." I have this image of the car being overturned with the wheels, tires. and battery gone?

2.) How far was the car found in the driveway from where Randy lived? I am referring to the car in the driveway found near the radio relay tower along Tower Road ?

4.) How far did Randy live from Tower Round? From Durward's Glen Retreat site? Where the witness said her friend saw a car that matched the description of Robert's vehicle?

5.) If Robert fell from the tree stand, he could have hit his head and suffered amnesia. When the witness saw the man say, "I'm looking for my friend, I am supposed to meet my friend." What was his demeanor?

6.) Can anyone post Google Maps of the route or routes Robert may have taken to Baraboo, and their distance relationships to the points mentioned above where Robert and/or the car were allegedly seen?

What I am trying to figure out is, were these places short, medium, or long way away distances from Randy's house?

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fat Cinnamon
Back