WI - Sylville Smith, 23, fatally shot by Milwaukee PD officer, 13 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Breaking up these pockets of crime and poverty have been proven to work. Gentrification is not a bad solution, IMO. Look at what happened in Chicago with the demolition and redevelopment of the Cabrini Green projects-- which took 20 years to finally get approved. Crime is nearly non-existent in the new buildings. And the low income section 8 residents (guaranteed spots in the new buildings) largely decline to move back into the new buildings and safer communities, for various reasons. Only about 20% returned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabrini–Green_Homes#Recent_history_and_future_plans

My response to Cabrini Green. I have a friend who lived there. She said that it was discovered that in fact it was a great location. Whoopsie. Time to ditch the poor , who did not simply go into hyperspace.

Not that Cabrini Green was a good place to live. It is of note that the property was discovered as a desireable location.

My heart aches for moms of kids of color. I cannot imagine how frightening this all is and how hard it is to help kids and yourself navigate. And what to do with all of the feelings and tensions and trauma that this causes

My response to Cabrini Green. I have a friend who lived there. She said that it was discovered that in fact it was a great location. Whoopsie. Time to ditch the poor , who did not simply go into hyperspace.

Not that Cabrini Green was a good place to live. It is of note that the property was discovered as a desireable location.

Here is a quote from the Cabrini Green article posted by KZ re an elementary school. Separate but certainly unequal. The quote:

During the 2003–2004 school year, fifth-grade students from Room 405 at Richard E. Byrd Community Academy developed a comprehensive action plan to push the City of Chicago and the Chicago Board of Education to fulfill an old promise of building a new school for the community. They cited that their school had no lunchroom, no gym, and no auditorium. The heat often did not work and students were forced to wear hats, gloves, and coats in the classroom, among many other inadequacies. As they researched reasons for the decrepit and shameful conditions of their school, they examined issues related to equity in school funding. To further their cause and implement their plan, the young activists wrote letters and emails, surveyed, petitioned, interviewed legislators, developed and produced a DVD, video documentaries, and a website in an effort to "get the word out" and garner support in hopes of seeing the new school built. Their fight for the new building garnered local and national attention.[37] As of 2008, the school's students have transferred to other schools in the Chicago area and the school has been left vacant.

I also call bs on no jobs. There are a ton of jobs available in Milwaukee and the surrounding areas.

I suppose there are as one sees tons of POC working. I think some take busses out to the suburbs to work ?

Okay. I have been removed several times. Lol.

Love my mods.

And this tells me that this is a trip that I really don't want to go on. Lol.

So I simply hope that no good people die because of this riot.

Big hugs all around.

IMHO, the video from the officer's cam needs to be RELEASED NOW!!

My heart aches for moms of kids of color. I cannot imagine how frightening this all is and how hard it is to help kids and yourself navigate. And what to do with all of the feelings and tensions and trauma that this causes

Hi angelainwi :)

I see you are a trauma counselor, not sure if I could do that, but I certainly have the heart to comfort people in times of distress.

In my eyes, kids of any color can have trauma and tensions that build in certain situations. I personally feel a lot has to do with the parenting skills these days. I know there is poverty and it is with all colors, but one must remember one can always try to improve yourself as you grow older in life. In listening to the interviews last night and live feed, I heard words of concern for the black community, stating there was things that needed to be done. I do not have an answer, but I personally think, starting at home is one of the answers, not drugging/drinking/smoking/etc trying to accomplish oneself. Parents need to teach their children, riots/protests/burning down things/etc is not the answer. I was appalled at how many "kids" would text, used twitter, Face Book, and all sources of media to connect to tell each and all to come and participate in this. In my eyes, if you own these types of devices, surely there is some form of work that you can get to pay for this, or is it the American Government? If handouts are given to people, then it is expected, not one person is going to lift a finger to find a better opportunity in life, as long as one provides for them.

This isn't happening just in WS, it is happening in other states and towns. It is sad, I have no answers, I just think it all begins at home, and people are angry because they feel unjust?

I personally think if LE is justified in shooting a person in trying to protect him/herself, there should be no riots nor protesting, let the LE agency make the call. Sure there will always be a bad cop but not all are, and to have to deal with a situation like this one, the towns people are thinking all cops are bad, by burning buildings, tossing bricks, destroying properties, and attempting to take others lives.

Again, I do not have any answers, except.."try teaching your children at home" not off the streets.

jmo :moo:

OMG, Oh Lord, Oh Jesus Christ! SMH!!!

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words for that girl!! NONE!

Errr, he had been in trouble and yet he was licensed to carry a concealed weapon??? I will have to look that up!

Errr.."Nobody gives a F&CK, mayor, police"

OMG, people in the back yelling..."HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT ALONE"

IMHO, the video from the officer's cam needs to be RELEASED NOW!!

it should be released ASAP after it has been viewed and enough investigation has been done for LE to answer the questions that will be asked about it.

it should be released ASAP after it has been viewed and enough investigation has been done for LE to answer the questions that will be asked about it.

IMHO, it should not take a week or more to finish that part of the investigation.

For now, if as has been reported there are stills showing a gun being pointed at the LE, at release those.

OMG, Oh Lord, Oh Jesus Christ! SMH!!!

UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no words for that girl!! NONE!

Errr, he had been in trouble and yet he was licensed to carry a concealed weapon??? I will have to look that up!

Errr.."Nobody gives a F&CK, mayor, police"

OMG, people in the back yelling..."HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEFT ALONE"

I just HOPE most of WS got to watch and listen to that feed.

jmo :moo:

The oxymoronic notion that heavily armed National Guardsmen will bring peace to Milwaukee breaks my heart into pieces.

The officer involved in the shooting has not been questioned yet. If they were to release the video before he is questioned everyone will be saying that he watched the video and gave his answers from seeing the video.

The officer involved in the shooting has not been questioned yet. If they were to release the video before he is questioned everyone will be saying that he watched the video and gave his answers from seeing the video.

Excellent observation, but that brings up the next question. WHY hadn't he been interviewed yet?

Excellent observation, but that brings up the next question. WHY hadn't he been interviewed yet?
The officer has legal rights. He has the right for an attorney to be present and everything else just like any other citizen is my understanding. If I was in his shoes I would be sure to consult with an attorney just like a regular citizen would.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tittlelomy
Back