Widow faces eviction for 'living off the grid'

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If no one is being harmed (including the woman herself) by her lifestyle, I think she should be left alone. Whose business is it anyway? Not to start any political discussion in this thread, but maybe the folks who want less government have a good point. This would be a prime example, IMO.

Makes me wonder if the code inspector knew of her and had previous real estate dealings.

I also agree with Merc21, if you live within city limits don't bring attention to yourself doing stories etc. She might have been doing business from this home at one time also.

Owner of Cape real estate company has license revoked
January 10, 2012
By TIFFANY REPECKI - trepecki@breezenewspapers.com , Cape Coral Daily Breeze

The owner of a Cape Coral real estate company has had her license revoked by the state following a review of a compliant filed against her last year.

Robin Marie Speronis, 52, is the qualifying broker for Speare House and did business as Zen Real Estate out of her home, at XXXX S.W. 53rd Terrace. Two complaints filed last year said she failed to return money to her clients.

http://www.cape-coral-daily-breeze....ate-company-has-license-revoked.html?nav=5011

The legal issues are breaking loose.

While the city still won't go on camera, its spokeswoman wants to make sure you know a couple of things:

First, it says when the notice to vacate was posted, code enforcers weren't sure if anyone lived in the home.

The city also says municipalities don't have the power to evict.

"It is the beginning of an eviction process," however, says Speronis' attorney Todd Allen. "A judge would then have to sign off before getting the sheriff to physically remove someone."

The city also says it's made numerous attempts since October 24th to contact the homeowner because of a complaint about mulch in the right-of-way, which the homeowner has evaded.

The city also says it merely wants access to the home to provide suggestions so Speronis can live off the grid in Cape Coral.

Allen says if the city continues to contact his client instead of going through him, he will file an injunction.

http://www.fox4now.com/features/4inyourcorner/Womans-fight-to-go-off-grid-goes-viral-236296791.html

I knew it. They blocked her access to the sewer system:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...ighting-to-live-‘off-the-grid’-234050584.html

Whenever I've had city water, I was told that the bulk of the fees was for the sewerage, not the water supply. That's why many people will install a second meter for their sprinkler systems, because watering the lawn doesn't use the sewer and the bill is lower.

I know she wants to live off the grid and use collected water. But.... Since the water company determines your sewer usage by the amount of water coming into your house through the meter, couldn't she connect to the city's municipal water, NOT use it, still flush with the collected water and get to use the sewer for free or nearly free?

I once worked with another teacher that had 2 children ages 9 and 11,she was struggling financially. Instead of using electricity(lights) she used candles in the evening. She was a good mother and I told her she should not tell this to people because they might feel it was child neglect and remove her children.

I can't tell you how many times my kids and I "camped" out at home trying to save every penny. We usually used candles when we could and a few times the electric was completely shut off. My neighbor was also a single, struggling mom and we sometimes actually took turns leaving our electric shut off and sharing resources for a few weeks at a time. It was tough, but doable. No one should HAVE to pay utility companies if they can live healthy lives without them.

I don't know anything about their codes and laws, but once the city water department realizes that she's bathing, cooking, using collected water to flush the toilet, etc, and not paying sewerage fees (I assume, since she doesn't appear to have a water bill), they'll probably be coming after her too. :(

That was my first thought...they are just mad because she isn't paying for water/sewer.

We can kid ourselves all we want, but you are not free to do what you want in this country. Even if you are hurting nobody.

To not allow someone due process sounds unconstitutional imo. I'll have to do some research on this international code. I knew of a case in Fl. where this law professor was a hoarder and fought the city for ten years. She refused to clean the property up. The city finally got a court order to condemn the property. They had to knock the house down it smelt so bad.

I knew it. They blocked her access to the sewer system:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews...ighting-to-live-‘off-the-grid’-234050584.html

Whenever I've had city water, I was told that the bulk of the fees was for the sewerage, not the water supply. That's why many people will install a second meter for their sprinkler systems, because watering the lawn doesn't use the sewer and the bill is lower.

I know she wants to live off the grid and use collected water. But.... Since the water company determines your sewer usage by the amount of water coming into your house through the meter, couldn't she connect to the city's municipal water, NOT use it, still flush with the collected water and get to use the sewer for free or nearly free?

Our city had a "minimum usage" so even though I had used wayyyy less i was still charged the same as if I had used way more. Then there was the usual fees, sewer surcharges and other bs.

We don't need their sewer, we have our own septic system, installed and maintained by hubby so I see no reason for us to pay for that.

They want to charge $20 a month for trash pickup but they have NEVER picked up our trash. We take care of that on our own. We would have to haul our trash half a mile down our driveway to get it to the "pick up zone" so no thanks.

So a minimum bill would be about $50. Simply not worth it to us when we can provide our own for much cheaper and not have to drink grossly overchlorinated water.

I think ya'll can see by now that I am very much a person who wishes to live my life on my terms and be able to live a life where we can do for ourselves. My husband is an incredible man who can fix anything, build anything, accomplish anything but could never be happy in a 9-5 job, no matter the great pay or perks. He would rather be his own person and work making hay, raising cattle, herding cows with friends, crawfishing, alligator hunting, fixing things for family and friends, etc. I LOVE that about him. He is awesome, I tell ya, I am very secure that he can handle anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elenabarlow
Back