Will George and Cindy Testify?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your thoughts and questions, but since I'm not interested in educating Baez or any other of Casey's legal team who reads here beyond the comments I've already made, I'll leave it at that.

:waitasec: I asked another poster who'd found the FL statute re: mandatory manner of issuing a subpoena IF you're issuing one, whether or not there was anything in there that requires a subpoena be issued in order for the party to be able to present the witness' testimony. I'm sure FL has something on this one way or the other somewhere. I just don't have time at the moment to go research it on Westlaw. If I have time later, and no one else posts an answer, I'll go looking for it.

Chez, you will find that in an office manual in the agency's office -- in Florida, Orange County, that would be the States Attorney's office procedures manual.
State statute doesn't require that the SA subpoena all witnesses, but does state that if it is going to be paid for by the government, then a statute says to list them all on the same subpoena list. Makes it more efficient for the Sheriff to serve them.

Whether or not they MUST be subpoenaed is most likely a matter of local policy. As a general policy, if I were the SA there in Orange County, my office policy book would state all witnesses will be subpoenaed unless otherwise approved by the SA. (That trickles down to operations staff as mandatory. However, it leaves me room to approve calling a willing, unsubpoenaed witness as a rebuttal witness or whatever. Keeps the flexibility but gets the people into the courtroom.

Chez, you will find that in an office manual in the agency's office -- in Florida, Orange County, that would be the States Attorney's office procedures manual.
State statute doesn't require that the SA subpoena all witnesses, but does state that if it is going to be paid for by the government, then a statute says to list them all on the same subpoena list. Makes it more efficient for the Sheriff to serve them.

Whether or not they MUST be subpoenaed is most likely a matter of local policy. As a general policy, if I were the SA there in Orange County, my office policy book would state all witnesses will be subpoenaed unless otherwise approved by the SA. (That trickles down to operations staff as mandatory. However, it leaves me room to approve calling a willing, unsubpoenaed witness as a rebuttal witness or whatever. Keeps the flexibility but gets the people into the courtroom.

:laugh: I won't find it anywhere today, as there's no time to go hunting. I think most jurisdictions operate much the same way. I think was focused on what to do about defense witnesses if you were Baez, not so much as what to do about the state's witnesses (course I've been wrong before when I thought I knew what another poster was discussing ;), so , please feel free to jump in here and correct away!)

[SIZE=-1]Not the subpoena question but relevant to the thread:

http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0914/titl0914.htm

914.04 Witnesses; person not excused from testifying or producing evidence in certain prosecutions on ground testimony might incriminate him or her; use of testimony given or evidence produced.
--No person who has been duly served with a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum shall be excused from attending and testifying or producing any book, paper, or other document before any court having felony trial jurisdiction, grand jury, or state attorney upon investigation, proceeding, or trial for a violation of any of the criminal statutes of this state upon the ground or for the reason that the testimony or evidence, documentary or otherwise, required of the person may tend to convict him or her of a crime or to subject him or her to a penalty or forfeiture, but no testimony so given or evidence so produced shall be received against the person upon any criminal investigation or proceeding. Such testimony or evidence, however, may be received against the person upon any criminal investigation or proceeding for perjury committed while giving such testimony or producing such evidence or for any perjury subsequently committed. [/SIZE]

Just released today:

The Anthonys face the wrenching task of burying Caylee early in the New Year, but then, sources tell said, George, Cindy and Lee Anthony will be asked to play a pivotal role in holding Casey Anthony accountable or else.

As one investigator put it, "They're going to be asked to help convict her."

http://www.wesh.com/news/18371232/detail.html

Are the A's finally going to face how evil KC is & what she did to Caylee?

Just released today:

The Anthonys face the wrenching task of burying Caylee early in the New Year, but then, sources tell said, George, Cindy and Lee Anthony will be asked to play a pivotal role in holding Casey Anthony accountable or else.

As one investigator put it, "They're going to be asked to help convict her."

http://www.wesh.com/news/18371232/detail.html

Are the A's finally going to face how evil KC is & what she did to Caylee?

The investigator was being polite when he said "going to be ASKED." There's no choice here. They are going to be compelled. Technically, if they refuse to answer without a legal excuse, they will be subject to contempt of court. Most states authorize the judge to put them in the slammer until they are ready to testify -- indefinitely in theory.

The investigator was being polite when he said "going to be ASKED." There's no choice here. They are going to be compelled. Technically, if they refuse to answer without a legal excuse, they will be subject to contempt of court. Most states authorize the judge to put them in the slammer until they are ready to testify -- indefinitely in theory.

Yeppers. Though it doesn't change the part about their testimony being compelled, cause it will be, maybe the "asking" part is combined with an immunity agreement :eek: :eek: :eek:, thus I wonder if there is something that's voluntary on their part in the mix... e.g., if they do possess information that incriminates Casey but also incriminates themselves, and they invoke the 5th amendment, the state may have to convict w/o their "help."

Yeppers. Though it doesn't change the part about their testimony being compelled, cause it will be, maybe the "asking" part is combined with an immunity agreement :eek: :eek: :eek:, thus I wonder if there is something that's voluntary on their part in the mix... e.g., if they do possess information that incriminates Casey but also incriminates themselves, and they invoke the 5th amendment, the state may have to convict w/o their "help."

I just posted a statute about being compelled to testify in a criminal case, you cannot refuse to answer based on incriminating yourself. They can't use what you say against you to prosecute you, but they can pursue other means. No 5th amendment answers to questions asked by the state in a felony case:

[SIZE=-1]http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...4/titl0914.htm

914.04 Witnesses; person not excused from testifying or producing evidence in certain prosecutions on ground testimony might incriminate him or her; use of testimony given or evidence produced.
--No person who has been duly served with a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum shall be excused from attending and testifying or producing any book, paper, or other document before any court having felony trial jurisdiction, grand jury, or state attorney upon investigation, proceeding, or trial for a violation of any of the criminal statutes of this state upon the ground or for the reason that the testimony or evidence, documentary or otherwise, required of the person may tend to convict him or her of a crime or to subject him or her to a penalty or forfeiture, but no testimony so given or evidence so produced shall be received against the person upon any criminal investigation or proceeding. Such testimony or evidence, however, may be received against the person upon any criminal investigation or proceeding for perjury committed while giving such testimony or producing such evidence or for any perjury subsequently committed. [/SIZE]

Some people cannot miss time from work to be a witness in a case unless they can show a subpoena or proof that they are required to be in court. Just saying.

I want a subpoena if I have to be in court for any reason!

Unless there is OJ or accessory or other charges (financial) that can be dropped in exchange for cooperation, right?

I just posted a statute about being compelled to testify in a criminal case, you cannot refuse to answer based on incriminating yourself. They can't use what you say against you to prosecute you, but they can pursue other means. No 5th amendment answers to questions asked by the state in a felony case:

[SIZE=-1]http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/ind...4/titl0914.htm

Thanks, impatientredhead.

For those with Weestlaw access, here a recent FL case explaining the statute mentioned above, the "automatic immunity" it provides (as the court in the case mentioned below describes said provision,) and about how a writ of habeus corpus for testimony, which orders one to appear and to testify is not covered by this statute:

SNIPPED:
"...In order to obtain the presence of the defendant in state court, the state attorney obtained a state writ of habeas corpus ad testificandum for the defendant and an order from the undersigned directing federal authorities to honor the state writ. The defendant argues that this writ compelled the defendant to testify and therefore triggered the immunity from section 914.04 . The language of the writ, however, specifically binds only the state and federal authorities and contains no compulsory language addressed to the defendant testifying. No court has specifically held that such a writ is the same as a subpoena with regard to section 914.04 or otherwise. Therefore, the Court concludes that a writ of habeas corpus ad testificandum does not, by itself, trigger section 914.04... ."

See U.S. v. Wims, 2005 WL 1315784, N.D.Fla.,2005.

For those with access to Westlaw, see here:
http://web2.westlaw.com/result/defa...me/53/default.wl&ifm=NotSet&cfid=1&rs=WLW8.11

So the FL rule of thumb is that if you represent a witness who may have things to say that would tend to incriminate him/her, if you don't insist upon a paper subpoena that triggers the limited immunity set forth by the statute above, there's no immunity, as is what happened in the case I mention above.

Ergo, if the state prosecutor in the Casey Anthony criminal case decides to issue a writ of habeus corpus for the Anthony family members' appearances and testimony for trial, without or instead of a subpoena, then the Anthonys could invoke the 5th Amendment until such time as a paper subpoena were issued to compel their testimony, which would then trigger the immunity statute impatientredhead provided above.

It can get pretty technical, but the easy thing to remember is that no state can limit the protections offered by the US 5th Amendment, but they can provide "additional protections" or immunity, such as the FL statute impatientredhead looked up, which kicks in so long as a paper subpoena or subpoena deuces tecum was issued, even if the witness hasn't specifically invoked the US 5th Amendment.

Seperating out the immunity it provides, it removes the option of them not answering any and all questions asked without being in contempt, is that correct?

Unless there is OJ or accessory or other charges (financial) that can be dropped in exchange for cooperation, right?

could happen. the immunity statute I discuss above doesn't mean that there aren't other manners of bargaining by/with the state. For example, if the state can find a way other than a witness' testimony to charge him/her with a crime, then the statutory immunity discussed above doesn't help the witness, BUT a seperate immunity agreement with the state could help, if written broadly enough. ;)

Seperating out the immunity it provides, it removes the option of them not answering any and all questions asked without being in contempt, is that correct?

If you are saying that they cannot refuse to answer b/c of the 5th Amendment so long as they were properly served with a subpoena/subpoena deuces tecum for trial, you're correct, and if you are saying that assuming the foregoing to be true/in place, that what they say cannot thereafter be used against them to convict them, you are correct, and if you are saying that if they are subpoenaed to testify and they try to invoke the 5th Amendment that Judge Strickland will likely hold them in contempt-you're correct!

The defendant in the case I pulled above made the mistake (or his attorney made the mistake :eek:) of testifying in another person's criminal trial w/o the requisite subpoena and, therefore, the statutory immunity failed to apply, and he was subsequently charged with criminal offenses based upon the testimony he gave in the othe person's trial. That attorney should have instructed his client to invoke the 5th Amendment until such time as the requisite subpoena was filed & served so that the immunity provisions kicked in.

O/T I just received a subpoena today certified mail, Husband was in auto accident 2 years ago. Husband's attorney issued the subpoena for me to testify about his injuries and how long he was unable to perform daily duties, work,sleep etc.

O/T I just received a subpoena today certified mail, Husband was in auto accident 2 years ago. Husband's attorney issued the subpoena for me to testify about his injuries and how long he was unable to perform daily duties, work,sleep etc.

Every attorney has their own way of doing things, and each case is a different matter. (Course your state might have a compulsory witness subpoena provision in place, in addition to mandatory witness list deadlines, that precludes trial testimony w/o such a subpoena.)

IMHO, they will both testify if called upon, and I do not believe either will be a hostile witness. George already proved his capacity to testify when he appeared before the Grand Jury. Cindy will come around, particularly when she hits the anger stage of grief. She did call 911 to report her daughter had stolen her car, after all.

IMHO, they will both testify if called upon, and I do not believe either will be a hostile witness. George already proved his capacity to testify when he appeared before the Grand Jury. Cindy will come around, particularly when she hits the anger stage of grief. She did call 911 to report her daughter had stolen her car, after all.

I so agree with you.

I so agree with you.

And I so pray you're both right. :cry: It's time for them to do the right thing and tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, for their beloved Caylee. :cry:

If you are saying that they cannot refuse to answer b/c of the 5th Amendment so long as they were properly served with a subpoena/subpoena deuces tecum for trial, you're correct, and if you are saying that assuming the foregoing to be true/in place, that what they say cannot thereafter be used against them to convict them, you are correct, and if you are saying that if they are subpoenaed to testify and they try to invoke the 5th Amendment that Judge Strickland will likely hold them in contempt-you're correct!

The defendant in the case I pulled above made the mistake (or his attorney made the mistake :eek:) of testifying in another person's criminal trial w/o the requisite subpoena and, therefore, the statutory immunity failed to apply, and he was subsequently charged with criminal offenses based upon the testimony he gave in the othe person's trial. That attorney should have instructed his client to invoke the 5th Amendment until such time as the requisite subpoena was filed & served so that the immunity provisions kicked in.

So in Florida a witness under subpoena can confess to helping commit, say, murder and they can't be prosecuted? Or, they can't be prosecuted based on the testimony alone, but, could be if other evidence is there? And the testimony of course could point the way for investigators?

So in Florida a witness under subpoena can confess to helping commit, say, murder and they can't be prosecuted? Or, they can't be prosecuted based on the testimony alone, but, could be if other evidence is there? And the testimony of course could point the way for investigators?

my understanding is that your words cannot be used against you, if they can prove it without that portion you are still on the hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required