Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very true that violence is unacceptable regardless of provocation. Yet, it is important to look at the further context to see where Mr. Rock might bear responsibility for saying inappropriate things about a person in attendance at the event. It is telling to me that the comments were not part of the script and were an ad lib that he added....given his history of comments to this particular couple, what is he responsible for? And, his jokes were not funny, sexist, and uncomfortable for me as a viewer ....as always, JMHO.

BBM. When assaulting someone at a public venue for something they said is condoned, and it does appear many are condoning WS's violence, can the end of civilized society, as we know it, be far behind?

MOO

BBM. When assaulting someone at a public venue for something they said is condoned, and it does appear many are condoning WS's violence, can the end of civilized society, as we know it, be far behind?

MOO

I feel like we have kind of reached close to the end of a civilized society. We have so much gun violence, violence against all people (including women and children) with limited outrage, a joy at the misery of others AND a sense that we can easily obliterate each other to get ahead..... JMHO.

"The father of Venus and Serena Williams said Monday he condemns violence a day after Will Smith slapped comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars ceremony — and then won an Academy Award for playing him in the movie “King Richard.”

“We don’t know all the details of what happened,” Richard Williams, via his son Chavoita LeSane, told NBC News. “But we don’t condone anyone hitting anyone else unless it’s in self-defense.”
'King Richard' weighs in on Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at Oscars

I think WS's shame will cause him far more suffering than anything CR said.

CR has a history of making jokes about numerous people. It's not like he had some personal vendetta against Jada. Further, not everyone watches Red Table Talk. I imagine few people do, actually. What in the world would CR be watching that for? He had no reason to know about the alopecia. Like I said before, I see headlines about this family all the time and I had no idea.

Here's another take on this incident:

“With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community,” Abdul-Jabbar writes of Smith, echoing the opinion expressed on Monday by Today host Craig Melvin that it was "troubling on so many levels" for men of color.

Abdul-Jabbar argues the incident was more than just a slap to Rock, but rather a “slap to women.”

“By hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself — against words,” he states. “This patronizing, paternal attitude infantilizes women and reduces them to helpless damsels needing a Big Strong Man to defend their honor least they swoon from the vapors. If he was really doing it for his wife, and not his own need to prove himself, he might have thought about the negative attention this brought on them, much harsher than the benign joke. That would have been truly defending and respecting her.”

“Young boys — especially Black boys — watching their movie idol not just hit another man over a joke, but then justify it as him being a superhero-like protector, are now much more prone to follow in his childish footsteps,” he explained, adding, “One of the main talking points from those supporting the systemic racism in America is characterizing Blacks as more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions. Smith just gave comfort to the enemy by providing them with the perfect optics they were dreaming of.”
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says Will Smith 'perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community' by slapping Chris Rock at Oscars

Much more at link.

Interestingly, I note how WS referred to himself as a "crazy father" when discussing protecting his wife. Eww.
Very thought provoking and best response I have heard. As always thank you @gitana1

"The father of Venus and Serena Williams said Monday he condemns violence a day after Will Smith slapped comedian Chris Rock at the Oscars ceremony — and then won an Academy Award for playing him in the movie “King Richard.”

“We don’t know all the details of what happened,” Richard Williams, via his son Chavoita LeSane, told NBC News. “But we don’t condone anyone hitting anyone else unless it’s in self-defense.”
'King Richard' weighs in on Will Smith's slap of Chris Rock at Oscars

I think WS's shame will cause him far more suffering than anything CR said.

Yes. OJ Simpson and Lamar Odom are rallying behind WS. That’s embarrassing.

Very true that violence is unacceptable regardless of provocation. Yet, it is important to look at the further context to see where Mr. Rock might bear responsibility for saying inappropriate things about a person in attendance at the event. It is telling to me that the comments were not part of the script and were an ad lib that he added....given his history of comments to this particular couple, what is he responsible for? And, his jokes were not funny, sexist, and uncomfortable for me as a viewer ....as always, JMHO.

I don’t know if half of the attendees knew the history between them.

“Jada, I love you – I can't wait for GI Jane 2” could have come across as a compliment to some. He could have said something like ‘Jada you will never be a GI like Demi Moore’.

Im indifferent about each of them, don’t follow either but it doesn’t matter what Chris or any other comedian says, violence isn’t acceptable. Being provoked doesn’t excuse violence.

True. But I would be much more understanding if his wife was called a prostitute or the N word. If someone called my spouse or mother or child something like that I can imagine seeing red.

This wasn’t close to that. His immediate response was laughter. Not rage.

Or what about Don Rickles? Anyone remember him? He was on the Johnny Carson show frequently. He was absolutely brutal when making jokes about people, even people in the audience. I remember thinking his jokes were very tasteless, if not cruel.
But Don apologized at the conclude of his shows n Vegas. . He usually picked on the first rows next to the stage…so he always made his way down to shake/hold their hands and talk to them after…
I saw a documentary on him.
All bark no bite. Sorry have no link.
Just my recall . Go Don.

WS (as well as the Academy, IMO) brought harm to many Sunday night — far more than a single comedian. WS ruined a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience for some and reinforced negative stereotypes for others. He perpetuated demoralizing treatment of women and set more than one bad example.

First and foremost, Jada Pinkett Smith is not a wilting flower by ANY stretch of the imagination. She’s a strong woman with a powerful voice, and she uses that powerful voice to speak her mind often. She does NOT need her husband defending her honor.

Secondly, WS had plenty of time to turn around and walk back to his seat but he chose violence over civility. The producers and/or security had the same amount of time to intercept WS but chose to maintain the status quo over their dignity.

I don’t care what the so-called backstage insiders are now saying about their decisions. They never truly considered forcing him to leave because the Academy needed him there to accept his big award. Coupled with the standing ovation he received, that just feels so gross to me.

The many who were robbed of something truly special saddens me. Venus and Serena Williams. The entire cast of King Richard. Anyone who received an award after the slap heard ’round the world — but especially the recipient of the award CR announced. I can’t even imagine how awkward he must’ve felt walking up after that. Yeesh.

I’m still a bit shocked by the whole thing. I’ve always been a fan of WS and CR has always annoyed me. Yeah, not so much anymore.

WS (as well as the Academy, IMO) brought harm to many Sunday night — far more than a single comedian. WS ruined a once-in-a-lifetime type of experience for some and reinforced negative stereotypes for others. He perpetuated demoralizing treatment of women and set more than one bad example.

First and foremost, Jada Pinkett Smith is not a wilting flower by ANY stretch of the imagination. She’s a strong woman with a powerful voice, and she uses that powerful voice to speak her mind often. She does NOT need her husband defending her honor.

Secondly, WS had plenty of time to turn around and walk back to his seat but he chose violence over civility. The producers and/or security had the same amount of time to intercept WS but chose to maintain the status quo over their dignity.

I don’t care what the so-called backstage insiders are now saying about their decisions. They never truly considered forcing him to leave because the Academy needed him there to accept his big award. Coupled with the standing ovation he received, that just feels so gross to me.

The many who were robbed of something truly special saddens me. Venus and Serena Williams. The entire cast of King Richard. Anyone who received an award after the slap heard ’round the world — but especially the recipient of the award CR announced. I can’t even imagine how awkward he must’ve felt walking up after that. Yeesh.

I’m still a bit shocked by the whole thing. I’ve always been a fan of WS and CR has always annoyed me. Yeah, not so much anymore.
Questlove was a guest on The Tonight Show last night. He's normally the musical director and band leader of the house band, The Roots. His comments about what happened before he was announced as the winner come at about the 4 minute mark.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I don't buy that Jada Pinkett Smith is all that sensitive about her bald head. She still looks gorgeous and she looked fabulous at the Oscars. And Demi Moore with her bald head in GI Jane was a bada$$ that inspired young girls and women around the world.

To me that joke of Chris Rock's fell a bit flat but IMO it certainly wasn't insulting to Jada. If she's that sensitive while being an actress where you're judged as much on your looks as your talent, she's in the wrong line of work. She and her husband had to know the camera was there watching for their reaction. Better actors would've laughed it off and the next day pitched GI Jane 2 to every producer they know.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
learningtolive616
Back