Will you do this for Caylee?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will openly admit that my child is a mischief maker!

when she was 3 she learned how to unlock the front door and started doing so when anyone would knock! We bought a special plate lock that most use to hinder burglars ... sure enough, my husband didn't install it high enough on the door.. we thought 5 foot up would be high enough.. which I learned it was not one day after going to the bathroom and walking into the living room to find the front door closed, unlocked and my child not in the house!! Instincts told me to open the front door, and guess who was sitting right next to the porch playing with her toys?! The lock now resides near the very top of the door!

I grew up on the same street that a 16 year old, very intelligent girl was taken from her front steps while doing her homework. The street was always full of kids playing and the layout of the houses was almost like the ones you see now-a-days where they sit on top of each other. Unfortunately the girl was later murdered... but to this day, my children are NOT allowed outside unless their father or I am out there with them. It took a lot to get my husband to understand the anxiety I've felt for years and that even if he comes inside for two minutes and our 9 year old is watching our 5 year old.. that's just too much time that passes and enough opportunity for someone to take off with our kids and be completely out of view.

The sad part is that we live in a very safe town with very little crime and I think too many parents take that for granted! When I pick my daughter up from school, everyday it amazes me seeing all the kids just running rampant next to the main doors and even outside. The parents are all busy yacking it up with other parents not paying a lick of attention. It's sad too that pretty much anyone could come into the school and take a child... all they need to know is one of the teachers name. We sign our kids out every day which consists of the child's name, teacher, relationship to child, reason for leaving school and time. The lady that sits at the signout desk does NOT verify anything! I've brought my concerns up with the principal but he just doesn't seem to care... I personally think he's got a few screws loose, but that's just MO.

Another story: When I was in elementary school my stepmom came and picked my brother and I up for my dad one day. When my mom caught wind of it, she raised all kinds of he!! with the school. Telling them that the person who picked us up could have been anyone! and reminded the school that my stepmom was NOT on our emergency contact list, therefore had no business picking us up. 20-some years later,
and that school still makes you leave your drivers license at the front desk and gives you a very stern eye and practically interrogates you if your last name does not match up with the child you are picking up. Then when you go to get your license back after getting the child from their class, they ask the child questions to make sure if you are not the parent, that the child knows who you are. I wish more schools enforced such!

With the number of single parents these days and divorce rates over 50% I just don't get why more places do not offer family bathrooms.... that irritates me to no end.

Good point!

First - a little story...

I always watch out for kids whenever we're out. Always trying to be in the right place to keep a kid from falling off something when their parent(s) aren't watching, or following at a distance when I see a kid wandering off.

About a 6 months ago I spotted a little girl @ the local mall...prolly 18+ months old. She was just wandering around...not an adult in sight. I stopped what I was doing and just followed her at a distance to see if a parent was going to show up or if she was going to get scared and start crying when she noticed her parent(s) weren't around. When I realized no parent's were showing up I asked my daughter (5 y.o.) to walk up to her and start talking with her so she wouldn't be afraid. She was the happiest little girl, just wandering 'round an entire wing of the mall looking for her mommy (apparently). She never started crying despite walking 'round for at least 20 mins. I got the attention of a security guard and he got on the radio while we all walked around with her. Even after 20mins her parent(s) hadn't reported her missing to mall security!! :furious:

With my daughter's help the security guard and I asked her about her parents...name? with her mommy or daddy? so he could make a P.A. announcement. Unfortunately, the little girl was too young to talk well enough for us to understand :no:

Finally, the security guard put the three of us on the back of a golf cart and we all went for a ride around the mall looking for a parent(s). After another 10 mins we came upon a mother (w/ 3 other kids and a few other adults) that just looked @ us apparently confused about why her daughter was riding in the golf cart with us. :confused: She wasn't outwardly shaken up @ all...she politely thanked us and kinda scolded her daughter (clearly too young to be the responsible one :mad: )

I held my daughter tight as we thanked the security guard and told her how important it was that she had been there to help, and, if another "don't know" had wanted to take that little girl they could have.

I worry 'bout that little girl.​

Second - without hijacking the thread - or strayin' too far off-topic....

Please consider registering to receive free Amber Alerts to your cell phone. I've done it for quite awhile now and I can assure you there are no strings attached. Pick the zip code(s) you want to monitor and enter your cell #. No solicitations...no charges...nuttin'. I posted a little more info in the Jury Room on a "Your cell phone is a weapon" thread FYI. https://www.wirelessamberalerts.org/index.jsp

I've been in "situations" concerning children I wasn't related to twice. The first time a young couple was going through a super market oblivious of the fact that their young (about 3) daughter was going in and out of the automatic doors. Well, I stayed with the child until her parents finally realized she wasn't with them. Then I told them it wasn't safe to let her roam around alone. They weren't rude, but I don't believe they took too kindly to me either. Maybe they learned something, maybe they didn't.

The second time was disturbing and it disturbs me to this day. I was in NJ about 12 years ago, in a bar/restaurant type of place sitting at the bar with my ex hubby. A man walked in with two boys, one a teenager, the other about 8 or so. They sat at a small table where I could see them very clearly. They seemed to be very strained and the teenager was smoking - it was allowed then, but he was too young to smoke. The three of them sat there, ordered some food, but my hinky meter was going off big time. These three didn't really look alike and they just weren't comfortable. I told myself it was a father on his weekend visit with his kids, but I'm not sure that was true. I've always wondered if this was a guy like Parnell or the pizza guy who abducted Shawn Hornbeck and the other child. I minded my own business that night, but I've asked myself over and over if there was anything I could have done to find out if everything was on the up and up. Does anyone have any ideas how to handle a situation like this?

I had an instance where I was in a bank one day and this African American woman walked in holding a baby carrier and a blond haired blue eyed infant about 3 months old. This woman was very strange acting making comments to the baby loud enough so I could hear (as if she wanted me to hear) about how "mommy loves you" , and "your mommy's good girl". Now I have no doubt this woman gave birth to this child, but she could have been a step mom , though I doubt so for a baby this young. Then I thought perhaps she was a nanny, but she kept saying "mommy' as if she was referring to herself. I was torn between calling the police and reporting this woman to leaving it alone. Well I did nothing but have always wondered if this baby was a kidnapped child. This was a good 10 years or so ago and I will never know. I always think fo that and now no longer stay quiet. Someone can get mad at me if they want if they have left their child behind, or in a car by themselves with no older child or adult with them. Would rather someone be mad at me than to know something happened to a child that I could have helped save.

I'd like to take it a step further and recommend everyone getting their child's inside of their cheek swabbed for DNA. I did that for mine and have kept it safe. Hopefully I will never, ever have to use it, but I did it anyway. And yes, please watch other children. I believe that's how Shasta Groenig was found, wasn't it? A clerk in a convenience store?

I also donate to charities this time of year -ones that are near and dear to my heart. Hospice, animal shelters, autism etc. This year I'm going to just make one donation and give it to Texas Equasearch in Caylee's name. Tim never gave up on finding her. I saw him on tv last night and he looks so worn out, I immediately prayed for him and his health. I hope he gets the care and rest he needs.

About 10 years ago, I was involved in a family situation where my (now ex) SIL was abusive to her kids, left them alone, showed them how to smoke drugs etc. I turned them in to DFS several times and after a few times, I guess the intake worker got tired of me calling so often (because they never did anything) and in order to get me to stop calling she breached confidentiality by telling my SIL it was me that turned her turned her in! :furious: That didn't stop me, it just made me MAD!

My advice to anyone thinking of contacting authorities is make sure this doesn't happen to you. If you feel uneasy, contact their supervisor as well-that's what their job is or send them a letter as well. Unfortunately I didn't do that right away and my SIL wreacked havoc on my life for the next year or so. It was a very unsafe situation. It shook my faith in the system to say the least. And later I'd heard that this intake worker was the best employee they had!! :eek:

Ill try not to be too long winded as I have three stories to share:

1)My family and I were leaving the grocery store on a bitterly cold winter night. The car that was parked next to us as we were leaving had a window busted out and plastic taped down in its place. I noticed the car and commented on how cold it would be to ride around in it. Just then, a little hand reached out the bottom of the plastic where the tape had come up. Upon closer inspection, I saw there were three children left alone in this car. The oldest could only be 6. After we got our infant and 4 year old buckled and the groceries put away, we called the police.

2)We were driving through a residential neighborhood and noticed a 2 year old in the middle of the street. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET! My husband pulled over and I went to the child and picked him up. I then noticed some people in their yard and hollered if this was their baby. They said no and continued what they were doing. So, I hollered at them again, do you possibly know where this baby belongs? Oh yeah, I think maybe that house across the street. So, I went to the house and an older woman came to the door. She looked at me and calmly asked how did you get him? I said he was in the middle of the street and I was told he might belong here. . .does he belong here? She said, well yes he does. His mother is at work and I don't know how he got out. The whole conversation was tooo calm and as if we were talking about an object not a child. So after leaving I went to the nearest police sub-station and file a police report.

3)I was at the mall and an older man was coming out of a children's store with a small boy and had him yanked up by one arm and was yelling at him. I was far enough back that I don't know what he was saying. But then, one handed and in one motion as if he had done it plenty of times before, he took off his belt and began beating the child right there in the middle of the mall. I screamed at him to stop it. A voice came from behind me to mind my own business. I turned around and realized it was the child's mother. I said you have got to be kidding me. I will not mind my own business when a child is being abused right in front of my eyes. She started cussing at me and ran up to the older man and boy. She picked him up and they ran out of the mall. I couldn't catch up to them having my two little ones with me. I'm not sure what else I could have done, but I did stop that attack.

Unless you know the family and suspect some kind of abuse or neglect, I would be very cautious about butting in. If it is a stranger.... you often don't know the circumstances, it could be explainable. I think the idea is a good one, but we need to know where to draw the line about "reporting" something if we don't know what is going on. Many people don't appreciate kindness, they look at it as interference and end up taking it out on the child. Also, it's the ones you least expect who end up hurting or killing their kids... I would bet that even most family members would say that they never saw it coming.
There was a young mom in this area who killed two of her little boys and almost killed the baby several years ago... he survived but has severe brain damage. Everyone who knew her, including her husband had no idea she was having mental problems. My neighbor at the time went to the same church and they said she was normal, very loving and sweet. It shocked everyone. You just never know. But again, if it is obvious bruises or maybe some kind of neglect.. ask the mother if they fell or had an accident... if she seems defensive or angry, or tells you to mind your own business.... that's a good sign that something is wrong.

It's funny how reading these posts make you remember other stories. I was in a department store with my 3 year old daughter and in just a second she was gone. Luckily, in our town, all stores have the "Adam" alert. I ran to a cashier and she immediately called an Adam alert over the speakers. This brings someone to lock all the doors and every person working in the store stops what they are doing and starts searching for the child. Really fast I was called to the front office where the worker told me that my daughter had walked up to her and told her "my mommy is lost". I had talked to her about what to do if anything like that ever happened but I never dreamed it would. In a hearbeat you can lose something so precious.
Also, my son just turned 8 years old and when we are in a big store, he goes into the ladies restroom. I don't feel we are crossing any boundries as he surely isn't going to see anything in there and he is safe. I did run into one lady who said "do you realize this is the ladies room?" and I said, "yes maam, and if you would like to take him to the mens room I will wait right outside. I told him just as soon as he turns 18 I will let him go all by himself to the mens room,lol

CHILDREN ARE A BLESSING...NOT A PUNISHMENT!

I had an instance where I was in a bank one day and this African American woman walked in holding a baby carrier and a blond haired blue eyed infant about 3 months old. This woman was very strange acting making comments to the baby loud enough so I could hear (as if she wanted me to hear) about how "mommy loves you" , and "your mommy's good girl". Now I have no doubt this woman gave birth to this child, but she could have been a step mom , though I doubt so for a baby this young. Then I thought perhaps she was a nanny, but she kept saying "mommy' as if she was referring to herself. I was torn between calling the police and reporting this woman to leaving it alone. Well I did nothing but have always wondered if this baby was a kidnapped child. This was a good 10 years or so ago and I will never know. I always think fo that and now no longer stay quiet. Someone can get mad at me if they want if they have left their child behind, or in a car by themselves with no older child or adult with them. Would rather someone be mad at me than to know something happened to a child that I could have helped save.

she may be an adoptive mother????

I lost my littlest one at the mall once(he was 2). Him and his brother were playing in the courtyard (just like the one at the mall that Caylee was supposedly sighted in). His dad was standing at the entrance and I was sitting down watching them. Somehow he got passed both me and his dad. He was only a couple of stores down, some lady had found him and was walking him to the security desk. Let me tell you, I have never in my life felt the kind of panic set it, like I felt that day. I was truly grateful to the lady for not just passing him by, and to this day (he is 5 now) I will not let them play there. There is so many kids and it is near impossible to watch their every move. He was gone for maybe 2 minutes and it felt like 20. I can't understand how the Anthony's could not have gotten that same panicked feeling when they discovered Caylee missing. I would have been knocking down doors. I would have felt helpless sitting at home taking phone calls, not physically searching for her. That is why, I believe they knew from day 1 she would not be coming home.

I used to work in retail years ago. Every single day I would see kids in the toy section without their parents. I would hear parents tell their children to go play in toys while they shopped around. I have seen many kids brought to the registers crying, by strangers, because they could not find their parents. Accidents happen, but almost everytime I would see the kids get scoulded for running off and the parents take no blame.

and another scenario:

Years ago when my children were toddlers, we had gone fishing and picnicing- when we returned home it was late in the afternoon, kids hadnt had naps, and were overtired. My son, who was then 3, had a major temper tantrum. I was sitting there with him on my lap, trying to comfort him, when there was a knock on the door. An older gentleman asked politely if we would let him see the child. We invited him in, he looked at the situation, examined my son for marks or bruises..and then thanked us and left. He seemed concerned but also embarrassed that he had checked- and I thanked HIM for checking, better to be safe than sorry. I want this to be an important message to everyone about checking on suspicions. If there really is nothing to hide, there should be no problem in asking. Just dont be pushy or overstep boundaries. A polite inquiry is best, and if opposed, call someone that is able to check legally. This was 30 years ago- I wouldn't advise entering any strangers house now.

It can be very uncomfortable to watch the mistreatment of a child by an adult out of control. Fortunately, there are things you can do to help…
http://www.friendsofchildabuseprevention.com/publicabuse.htm

We all know how precious our children are - all of them. In Caylee's memory I would like to ask everyone to do this simple task:

In your daily life, in public places, in parks, everywhere you go - watch out for the little ones. Take note of their approximate age and thus their abilities and inabilities. Watch their mood and demeanor. While you are in line at the store, while you sit on the bench at the park, while you walk into the school to pick up your own - PAY ATTENTION.

Notice their hair colors, eyes full of wonder and awe but most importantly, would you please notice their parents? Are the parents watching them? Are they distracted while the little one climbs on something dangerous? The best parents will notice that you are watching their child - just smile and nod your approval. The distracted parents might have a very good reason so don't get angry, just do what you can to protect the children. Notice the children, you never know when you might see one that needs noticing - needs your help. Just be honest and do this with love in your heart for Caylee and all of the children - no one will be mad at you for caring!

Do this in Caylee's name...please!

comments/thoughts?

Thank you Cocoamom
I did just that today.
We took the kids to SeaWorld today and while watching the Shamu show I noticed a blond girl about the age of 4-6 walk up where we were sitting in the first row of the upper level(alone), I watched as she went up, she then came back down-alone-walked to the lower level infront of me and walked down the steps as I still watched her-she then came back up-alone again, but this time her face was scared and fearful.
At that point I immediately got up, told DH to watch kids and took off after the little girl and to grab the attention of a SeaWorld worker.
A worker got to the little girl first and helped her find her parents.
The concern that came over me for this little child was so overwhelming I almost cried thinking she's so scared without her Mom and Dad.

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories! It only goes to show how many people out there are willing to intervene on behalf of a child and yet so many disappear every day! Maybe reading this thread will help those that are on the fence about saying something to a child. I am sure that all of us will notice children more...

The posts here also show how many of us have had a child wander away and how quickly it can happen. Many times, there is a panicked parent looking desperately for that child. You can protect the child from predators by staying with them until parents are reunited with them.

I also have a story, but not about my son, about me. When I was 3 we were in a store in Miami where I was born. I remember my mother being stern with my little sister in the cart and I walked behind. I saw that she was distracted (she told me this story many times) and simply turned onto the toy aisle and stood there looking at a doll the size of me. I had on a dress and patent leather shoes. Many folks used to say I looked like Shirley Temple with the curls and such.

A man picked me up and put me in his cart (the grocery part, not the seat) and tossed some sort of towel over me. I was giggling like it was some kind of game and my mother heard my voice while she was looking for me. When I heard that "voice" that mom's use when calling you, I called out. She said the man had me outside in that cart and ran away when she ran after my voice. I pulled the towel off and yelled Peek-a-boo to her - she had a meltdown!

That's how fast it can happen. I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Time for payback to other children! Thanks to you all again for your posts and vigilance in Caylee's name!

There are only 30 names here so far at the link. Please help us to achieve this goal of renaming Suburban Drive, the Elementary School, or the creation of a park in Caylee's name!

Please spread the link!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ren...-marie-anthony

Mods, I don't know if this is OK to do, I pray so - if not, please smack my hand! :blowkiss:

count me in on this too. anything resulting in something positive from this horrible horrible tragedy will surely help. Thanks cocoamom.

:moose::moose:Bless you all for caring and keeping an eye out for the little ones. Merry Christmas!

Cocoamom- me too, but I was 9 and was taken to a gravel pit. Fortunately a neighbor followed.

Great idea Cocoa, it IS something we can do in honor of Caylee. Something good has to come out of her tragic, untimely death. I no longer have any little ones. For years I have made it a practice to be observant of little ones in public. I am just naturally attracted to little ones. They are so much fun to observe. I have seen little ones roaming around alone in Walmart. The parent has usually walked away or the little one is attracted to something and the mother doesn't notice. I will either follow the little child through the store (at a little distance), or just stand near them observing them until an adult appears. I make it a point to tell the adult that I was very scared for the little one and I wouldn't leave them out of my sight till they appeared, because of all the horrible things that are done to little kids all the time. I think I get my point across. Not once has a parent been upset with me. Usually their response is very appreciative. I feel it is everybody's duty to try and protect someone else's child if possible. It's a cruel, cold world sometimes.

Thank you Cocoamom
I did just that today.
We took the kids to SeaWorld today and while watching the Shamu show I noticed a blond girl about the age of 4-6 walk up where we were sitting in the first row of the upper level(alone), I watched as she went up, she then came back down-alone-walked to the lower level infront of me and walked down the steps as I still watched her-she then came back up-alone again, but this time her face was scared and fearful.
At that point I immediately got up, told DH to watch kids and took off after the little girl and to grab the attention of a SeaWorld worker.
A worker got to the little girl first and helped her find her parents.
The concern that came over me for this little child was so overwhelming I almost cried thinking she's so scared without her Mom and Dad.

I am so glad that you told this story and an example of what we need to do for children that may affect them for the rest of their lives: be knowledgeable and observant on a daily basis and aware of when a child is truly in danger. In my personal experience this has been such things as helping a child who is being bullied and reporting to LE a suspicious car following children on their way home from school.

does anyone know if the police departments or anyone else normally carry child identity kits?

About two years ago at a local event I was given some to fill out for my daughters.. but they have grown so much that I'd like to update them.

TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back