Woman finds out on TV she is renting suspected serial killer's home

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think I would want to know this info, also...

My state requires the same disclosure re: murder. I bought our home, and upon meeting the neighbors, one of the first things they said was that we weren't scared off by the murder that happened on the front lawn. (After spelling that out, maybe the law only applies if INSIDE the structure). Any way, the realtor may not have known - it happened 35+ years ago.

Additionally, a private rental agreement between two individuals may also be exempt.

ETA - article does state that no disclosure is required.

I think it is a law in my state also. However, it is for sale of a home that such things must be disclosed. There are no laws requiring a person who buys a home with the knowledge of it once being a crime scene to tell potential renters. If it is a law there, this landlord would have to disclose to potential buyers should he decide to sell but this woman had no legal right to the information unless she asked prior to signing the lease and maybe not even then.

I would rent any place that meets my needs without concern for what occurred there previously, as long as what occurred was not perpetrated by the landlord I am doing business with.

NO thanks! yikes! too creepy. Is the serial killer in jail?

Travis killed himself in jail.

I would've grabbed my stuff and gotten out of dodge if I found out I was renting a serial killer's house, especially if it was someone like Maury Travis.

I remember seeing him on Cold Case Files (re-run it again please, A&E) and seeing part of a home video that he made of himself and one of his victims.

I firmly believe that objects/places hold emotional energy. Have you ever gone into a dwelling, of whatever kind, and just *felt* a certain emotion(s)?

I have gone into a home and felt sadness and depression that seemed to be oozing from the wall paper... I have also gone into homes that seemed to have cold, angry vibes, or very warm happy ones... Some churches have weirdness in the very foundation, others are immensely comforting...

Sights, scents, textures, and other, barely perceptible, sensory input can also linger long past the lives of those who left such traces... some people are more sensitive to these things than others. I would move out asap. jmo

I don't know what it is, but there is house in my town where I lived that is in a nice neighborhood and every family that lived there had a tragedy. For instance, a child who was a fabulous skier had a tragic accident on a ski slope.
There is a street in the neighborhood where I lived that everyone talked about. It has a nasty feel. A nice family built a home. Their daughter was killed in a car accident and while at the funeral, someone robbed them. I forget what else happened on that street. Elm Street. Really.

My best friend lives in a nice neighborhood. The house next door is very simple. Over the years, several really mentally ill women have lived there. Like really strange. One was from a super wealthy family. They were paying for her to live there. She did not have a phone. She would ask nicely to use my friend's phone. She would call the person and start screaming at the person at the top of her lungs. From calm to raving in seconds.

The latest one screamed at my friend for getting some blades of grass on her when my friend mowed her lawn.

There is something. Don't know why.

I don't know what it is, but there is house in my town where I lived that is in a nice neighborhood and every family that lived there had a tragedy. For instance, a child who was a fabulous skier had a tragic accident on a ski slope.
There is a street in the neighborhood where I lived that everyone talked about. It has a nasty feel. A nice family built a home. Their daughter was killed in a car accident and while at the funeral, someone robbed them. I forget what else happened on that street. Elm Street. Really.

My best friend lives in a nice neighborhood. The house next door is very simple. Over the years, several really mentally ill women have lived there. Like really strange. One was from a super wealthy family. They were paying for her to live there. She did not have a phone. She would ask nicely to use my friend's phone. She would call the person and start screaming at the person at the top of her lungs. From calm to raving in seconds.

The latest one screamed at my friend for getting some blades of grass on her when my friend mowed her lawn.

There is something. Don't know why.

Oh my goodness, you just reminded me of the house directly across the street from the house where I grew up. Tragedy seemed to hit the families that lived there, one after the other, over the years. I completely forgot about that. I going to research that address right now and see what happened there going back as far as I can. I have a hunch I won't find anything, but I won't know until I try.....

Travis killed himself in jail.

I would've grabbed my stuff and gotten out of dodge if I found out I was renting a serial killer's house, especially if it was someone like Maury Travis.

I remember seeing him on Cold Case Files (re-run it again please, A&E) and seeing part of a home video that he made of himself and one of his victims.

I saw the Cold Case Files episode too and this guy was frightening. I'll never forget that snippet of tape shown where the victim appears chained up before she was murdered. That really stuck with me all these years, the poor woman.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hunter2_1
Back