Woman In Swimsuit Smokin' Ciggie

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think traveling to Thailand and other far away places was rather rarer than today in the 1970s. Mallorca, Ibiza, the Spanish coast resorts, the Canary Islands, Greece maybe.

She looks quite sunburnt.

Thanks D. I've only ever been to one other Country in my life. What do I know? Indeed back then it would have probably ben rarer.

Good call on the pants, and the sunburn. One would cover up. Lord if we knew then what we do today we wouldn't have even been out there without being totally covered.

Okay, I can help with the scarf/hat the womans wearing in the first picture. I think it was called a petal something, ANYWAY I OWNED ONE. Bought in the summer of 68 or 69 in NEW JERSEY and used in 1970 in Florida. It tied at the back of neck, it was not a bathing cap.
Re first pix. I find the man in the background entering the building interesting because you can see his reflection in the glass. I am not sure if he is entering a double door or not, but there are also reflections on the window to the right of him, or maybe it is writting such as the name of the restaurant or lounge he is entering.

And there is the palm tree on the second floor.
I lived in Wildwood NJ the summer of 69, we did not wear tons of make, in fact none at all and certainly no high heels. We were hippies, earthy people, mini dresses, and barefeet, lots of t shirts, tied dyed of course and the hair was loose and free. The shag was not yet popular. I never saw that until 1970 after I was in Florida.

BB, I meant no disrespect about the make-up and heels and such down a shore. I'm about ten years behind you and trying to date the photograph we were looking at the scarf and chairs and such.

Summers of 76, 77, and 78 Wildwood. Candies all the way down to the beach. It's absurd now I know, but we did the whole make-up, jewelry and all in bathing suits. Disco.

Thank you for the tips on the scarf/petal thing.

Unfortunately, some of these pictures get fewer comments because they have less information (backround, etc...) on them to comment about...Someone on the original discussion thread (before each picture was broken out) commented on the make of the camera here and the year that the camera was issued. The only other thing that I've noticed but I'm not sure about is the towels in these pics are yellow (like they were given to people attending a resort/pool)...The two girls in this picture:

http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00193.jpg

also have a yellow towel. Probably just a coincidence but something I noticed that I wanted to mention.

Yellow towel here too:

http://cnnnancygrace.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/00542.jpg

According to the following post, the two girls on bikes are in Florida. Is the ciggie girl in the same location?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Those pictures of the girls on bikes in front of some shrubbery look like Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Cocoa Beach? But definitely that part of the north Florida coast. The hotel looks a lot like Cocoa Beach to me, too.
Those shrubs are seagrapes. They are a protected plant in Fl, no trimming etc because they help to keep the dunes from eroding.
Do they have seagrapes in California?

The building in the background in one of those pics with the girls in front of the seagrapes looks like it is in N. Miami at a place called North Beach, Haulover Park (clothing optional since at least 1986 that I know of and it seems I remember hearing that the fight to stop the nudity had been ongoing for at least twenty years. Haulover Park has/had? a bench like that and also seagrapes separating a dirt pathway/drive from the ocean. Part of the path has since been paved.

From Post #1 on two girls on bikes:
Two Girls on Bikes - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Between the yellow towels, and the yellow and white umbrellas, and yellow awning in the first pic, it makes me wonder if there's a hotel chain with a predominantly yellow logo?

I'm wondering since the folks in this picture aren't very tanned, could this be spring break and they're just getting started?

rOr how about people vacationing in Reno or Las Vegas in the winter? Or they could be vacationing in any warm sunny place in the winter.

Spent quite some time today looking at old postcards and photos for hotel/motels in FL from the 60's and 70's. I couldn't find one that used wooden chairs. Remember back then it was cool to have new aluminum webbed chairs! I'm seriously wondering if this one too is from Europe somewhere. ???

Spent quite some time today looking at old postcards and photos for hotel/motels in FL from the 60's and 70's. I couldn't find one that used wooden chairs. Remember back then it was cool to have new aluminum webbed chairs! I'm seriously wondering if this one too is from Europe somewhere. ???

I wonder... between those of us that think it is European because the hotel doesn't look American, and those of us who think it is American because of the sea grapes, could this be in one of the British colonies/territories/protectorates where sea grapes grow? I'm thinking Barbados, the Bahamas, Bermuda.

My in-laws had chaises like that at their Florida place that were made of hard plastic. That was 1980, but the chaises were pretty old.

Hotel looks like a place in Galveston, Tx, but I think it has been remodeled recently. Of course, it's not necessarily that place. It could be motel/hotel anywhere. I'm thinking USA though.

I wonder...who's snapping the picture? Or who's hand is reaching out for the camera? and, is she aware of her picture being taken?

I totally burst out laughing at the lady with the hair. SO glad I wasn't the only one that said "WTH" to myself!

Does anyone know any botanists? They could probably figure out the location or at least the right continent or hemisphere by the tree in the background.

Nomad - to me it looks like the hand belongs to someone other than the photographer, the arm would have to be really long and bent weird to be at that angle and that far from the camera. It is definitely a "man-hand" :)

I did check on some of the old chain motels to see if the decor matched anything and didn't have any luck. I checked Ramada, Holiday Inn and Howard Johnson. I looked at postcards on Ebay for those three, but any other popular chains seem to slip my mind. I was looking for around 1970, I just can't put that petal scarf into the late 70's.

:blowkiss: lol Filly, you know how us Jersey/Philly girls.

Does that hand belong to a nail bitter?

Did this guy ever hang out at Palm Springs or Vegas?

That is definitely a nail-bitten hand. Any pictures of Alacala's hands?

I'm sure this is nothing at all, but this hotel has similar colors and it is in central florida, if I'm not mistaken. It was a very hip place to stay, apparently, as bob dylan was a guest, as was sinatra, and many others;)

http://www.wppl.org/wphistory/LangfordHotel/LangfordHotelSwimmingPoolCa1960s.jpg

It's mentioned here, too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Park,_Florida
The central florida location would match the shrubbery on the other thread.

kz3dhw-kz3dgw0034.jpg
LangfordHotelSwimmingPoolCa1960s.jpg

the railings and furniture dont match up to the sketch, but I guess it could have been remodeled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn
Back