the consumers electric bills will go up to absorb the cost

the end.:banghead:

wait and see...

a lawyer will get involved

the family will sue

the electric company will settle w/ them out of court for an undisclosed amount

That's hitting the nail on the head Glow. EXACTLY!

wait and see...

the family will sue

OH, you don't actually think so do you??? Nahhhh, come one...

Stupid people!

Who was actually there for this 'death'???

I wonder how much life insurance this lady had...will, and who are the bene's?

How old was she and her condition? I am sure then mentioned it, let me look back.

The article said that she collapsed almost immediately and then died two hours later.

LadyLuck that is exactly how my son was. He needed oxygen to survive 24/7. So we also had his portable tanks right there in case of emergency and did have to use them on occasion. That is one of the FIRST things you find out about when dealing with someone on o2...you need to know what happens if....I am not really buying this whole story something don't smell right to me...

My Mother was on oxygen 24/7 . Her machine was run on electricity. She had portable oxygen tanks that did not need electricity. When she was first put on the machine we notified our electric company but that did not qualify for special considerations (I guess because of the available portable tanks) We kept a portable tank ready to go right by her bed in case there was a power outage. The company that supplied her electric machine provided the portable and we always had a good number on hand.

The article said that she collapsed almost immediately and then died two hours later.

The article on CNN doesn't say that.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/31/nz.lifesupport.ap/index.html

"Sheehan said Muliaga's breathing grew worse in the two hours after the power was disconnected and she was "basically dead" when the ambulance arrived."

How long after the power was cut was the ambulance even called? Other interesting points in the article....

"Muliaga's family claim that she and her son told the technician she needed the oxygen machine to stay alive and invited him into the house to see it.
But Mercury Energy and its parent company, Mighty River Power, insisted Thursday they were never told that Muliaga depended on the electricity supply for her oxygen machine.
Meanwhile, the Counties-Manukau District Health Board, which issued Muliaga with the oxygen machine after her recent hospital admission, expressed surprise that she was so reliant on the machine that disconnection may have caused her death.
Chief medical officer Dr. Don Mackie told Radio New Zealand that Muliaga would not have been sent home if she needed the machine to keep her alive.
"People who are on this are capable of breathing for themselves ... That is why we are surprised that she deteriorated and tragically died so soon after the support was withdrawn, and we need to understand more about that," he said."

Me thinks we'll be hearing more and more to this story as time goes by.

"He did note that she had a medical tube in her nose but this was not connected to any equipment," ....
In any event, the contractor could not have been expected "to be able to make medical decisions,"

He is perfectly capable of noting that a tube which is not connected to any equipment is unaffected by electricity. That's not a medical decision, that's a lack of "flow of electricity" observation.

He of all people, know that if "it ain't plugged in, it ain't using electricity."

I'm thinking it was a crime of opportunity for someone who can benefit from this.

What a great way to commit a murder AND make money!

All you need is someone who is relatively dependent on oxygen and a complete lack of a conscience. What a deal!

Oh my God! They invited the technician in the house to see her machine? Hello?! I would be calling the dang ambulance the police screaming for help this is sooooo bullchit i'm sorry they did something else to this lady and it has nothing to do with the electric company!

"Sheehan said Muliaga's breathing grew worse in the two hours after the power was disconnected and she was "basically dead" when the ambulance arrived."

How long after the power was cut was the ambulance even called? Other interesting points in the article....

"Muliaga's family claim that she and her son told the technician she needed the oxygen machine to stay alive and invited him into the house to see it.
But Mercury Energy and its parent company, Mighty River Power, insisted Thursday they were never told that Muliaga depended on the electricity supply for her oxygen machine.
Meanwhile, the Counties-Manukau District Health Board, which issued Muliaga with the oxygen machine after her recent hospital admission, expressed surprise that she was so reliant on the machine that disconnection may have caused her death.
Chief medical officer Dr. Don Mackie told Radio New Zealand that Muliaga would not have been sent home if she needed the machine to keep her alive.
"People who are on this are capable of breathing for themselves ... That is why we are surprised that she deteriorated and tragically died so soon after the support was withdrawn, and we need to understand more about that," he said."

Thanks for the correction!

wait and see...

the family will sue

If you only knew how true this is.

We (I work for a municipal electric company) had an instance where a kid (12 or 13) climbed over an eight foot high fence, into a locked compound, marked with multiple signs saying "High voltage- keep out", and then climbed on top of a 7 foot high transformer and was breaking bottles on the concrete. When he made contact with the bushings he was horribly burned. His mother had the ba!!$ to sue the electric company for over a million bucks. He was trespassing and vandalizing our equipment and we got sued. Her reasoning was "Well I don't have medical insurance and the electric company has lots of money." Well, we don't have lots of money...we're a municipality, that means non-profit. We ended up settling and guess who paid for those costs...our ratepayers (customer/owners).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder
Back