Woman's body found in basement of luxury apartment building in Manhattan

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Seeing this story reminded me of the time, in the early 90s, when my sister and her friend went out drinking and got totally hammered. The next morning, the friend was found by a neighbor in the floor passed out against my sister's apartment door and my sister woke up totally naked in the basement laundry room passed out on top of the washers/dryers! Neither had a clue how the heck they wound up where they did but thankfully, nothing horrible happened to them! Absolutely true story. My sis used to like to drink and she would sometimes black out and remember nothing.

I guess my thought is just that you just never know how alcohol can totally mess you up to THAT extent that you temporarily lose your complete mind AND sometimes the friends are just as messed up, too!

If she hadn't been in NYC very long, or if she had just moved, she may not have been sufficiently familiar with her address to recite it on demand, especially given the state she was likely in.
JMHO, no victim-unfriendliness intended
I think she's lived here long enough to know but I think she either asked to get out of the cab, was kicked out of the cab (if vomiting, for example), or there was a miscommunication with the driver about the address.

From the video, you can see she is completely wasted. I hate she was on her own. :(

jmo

I think she's lived here long enough to know but I think she either asked to get out of the cab, was kicked out of the cab (if vomiting, for example), or there was a miscommunication with the driver about the address.

From the video, you can see she is completely wasted. I hate she was on her own. :(

jmo
Unfortunately I agree, if you plot it out on google maps from where she got into the cab and where her phone last pinged, the apt building, it looks like she was let out right before the driver got onto highway. I would guess that she needed to vomit and she asked/was asked to get out.

When I think about it, many of the trendier luxury apartments actually have fairly relaxed lobbies/front desks if you look the part (young, white, higher-income). Many these days don’t have key coded front doors to access the lobbies, just the upper floors.

It’s very likely she walked right in and past the front desk looking for a bathroom to vomit in. She likely found a garbage chute and vomited there, or even dropped her phone and leaned in after it. It’s more seeming to me that there was no foul play. I’m sure that the building must have video of her wandering around inside, if not the event itself.

I have no idea why I chose to do this, but I looked up a video of how these compressors work, it’s not pleasant :( It seems very likely to me though that she fell through the chute rather than getting into it from the basement or something. It’s basically a funnel shape with an auto-sensing mechanical part at the very bottom, which then leads into the dumpster itself. But there is sort of a ledge if you crawled into it from the side door (which is usually locked). The gravity of coming down the chute is what would make it difficult to react in time to stop yourself from getting into the condensing mechanism, not to mention being inebriated.

Feel terribly for her family, being young and a Midwest transplant to the city would exacerbate her decision making in that state.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I agree, if you plot it out on google maps from where she got into the cab and where her phone last pinged, the apt building, it looks like she was let out right before the driver got onto highway. I would guess that she needed to vomit and she asked/was asked to get out.

When I think about it, many of the trendier luxury apartments actually have fairly relaxed lobbies/front desks if you look the part (young, white, higher-income). Many these days don’t have key coded front doors to access the lobbies, just the upper floors.

It’s very likely she walked right in and past the front desk looking for a bathroom to vomit in. She likely found a garbage chute and vomited there, or even dropped her phone and leaned in after it. It’s more seeming to me that there was no foul play. I’m sure that the building must have video of her wandering around inside, if not the event itself.

I have no idea why I chose to do this, but I looked up a video of how these compressors work, it’s not pleasant :( It seems very likely to me though that she fell through the chute rather than getting into it from the basement or something. It’s basically a funnel shape with an auto-sensing mechanical part at the very bottom, which then leads into the dumpster itself. But there is sort of a ledge if you crawled into it from the side door (which is usually locked). The gravity of coming down the chute is what would make it difficult to react in time to stop yourself from getting into the condensing mechanism, not to mention being inebriated.

Feel terribly for her family, being young and a Midwest transplant to the city would exacerbate her decision making in that state.
I think she attended university in NY, iirc from her linkedin - not a school in the city but in the state. I don't think she'd quite the newbie people are thinking. She had an apartment in Brooklyn and a job in the city. She was a young adult on her way, until she lost her way.

The possibility of using the chute as a place to vomit makes sense.

jmo

These kinds of cases infuriate me to no end!

Kenyetta Jenkins, Libby Squire, and this young woman are all victims thanks to their so called "friends".

Kenyetta's friends ditched her after she got too drunk at a hotel party, and she locked herself inside an industrial sized freezer by accident.

Libby's friends basically did Jackie's coworkers did; shoved her into a cab after she drank way too much. She made it to her house, didn't make it to her door, wandered around, and was taken advantage or and murdered.

If just ONE person could have taken the time to help their friend or colleague :mad::mad::mad::mad:

But nooooo lets just get rid of the annoying person so we can enjoy our good time :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Seriously though!!! Your young, attractive, extremely intoxicated and highly vulnerable "friend" should not be put in that situation.

Really, really makes me disgusted for humanity.
This seems quite unfair to me. I don't see how you can blame her coworkers for putting her in a cab. It's not like they watched her walk out the door on the arm of a strange man. I'm sure her coworkers feel horrible today, and will carry some guilt for the rest of their lives, but IMO they did nothing wrong.

Hundreds of drunk people get put into cabs every day and find their way home. What happened to Jackie is such a low-probability event, I don't see how anyone could have foreseen it.

It's easy with 20/20 hindsight to say someone should have accompanied her home. But even if someone came with her in the cab, she could have taken a tumble in her own building's laundry chute. She could have slipped in the shower or choked on her own vomit while passed out in her bed. Unfortunately, people who become severely intoxicated sometimes put themselves into situations that result in their deaths in ways that no one could have imagined.

Two more things I want to add:
  1. If they were all at the bar together, then it's likely her coworkers were just as drunk as she was.
  2. It's also possible that no one knew quite how intoxicated she was. If she had a lot of liquor in her stomach she may have become drunker after leaving the bar as the alcohol entered her bloodstream.

This seems quite unfair to me. I don't see how you can blame her coworkers for putting her in a cab. It's not like they watched her walk out the door on the arm of a strange man. I'm sure her coworkers feel horrible today, and will carry some guilt for the rest of their lives, but IMO they did nothing wrong.

Hundreds of drunk people get put into cabs every day and find their way home. What happened to Jackie is such a low-probability event, I don't see how anyone could have foreseen it.

It's easy with 20/20 hindsight to say someone should have accompanied her home. But even if someone came with her in the cab, she could have taken a tumble in her own building's laundry chute. She could have slipped in the shower or choked on her own vomit while passed out in her bed. Unfortunately, people who become severely intoxicated sometimes put themselves into situations that result in their deaths in ways that no one could have imagined.

Two more things I want to add:
  1. If they were all at the bar together, then it's likely her coworkers were just as drunk as she was.
  2. It's also possible that no one knew quite how intoxicated she was. If she had a lot of liquor in her stomach she may have become drunker after leaving the bar as the alcohol entered her bloodstream.
I don't blame the co-workers either. I know things get out of hand sometimes, but just wish they didn't.

I am a bit concerned her drink was spiked, and in that case, I do lay blame! She seems more than just drunk to me in the video, but of course that we can't really tell just by a short clip of a grainy video of someone we don't know.

jmo

The possibility of using the chute as a place to vomit makes sense.
SBMFF

That possibility sounds very plausible to me as well, except for this... why was she in that building and on an upper floor? I can't see even the drunkest of people wanting to enter a building to find a place to vomit, when a gutter, or a tree box, make much better places IMO.

Also, how did she even get in in the first place? The info on that property says "The building includes a 24-hour doorman".

I'd like to hear what he has to say about her gaining entrance to the building.

Has anyone found her coat or her purse?

Seems they would either be in the cab, or discarded on the way down her very unsteady walk. From the video, it doesn't look like she had them when she was last seen, so they might not be in the building where she was found.

Has anyone found her coat or her purse?

Seems they would either be in the cab, or discarded on the way down her very unsteady walk. From the video, it doesn't look like she had them when she was last seen, so they might not be in the building where she was found.
I'm so glad you brought this up. I came in here to ask about that after watching the vid and not noticing a purse. She had to have had one to at least carry her ID and any money/cards in case of an emergency. I never leave home without either.

She might not have had a coat. I used to go out dancing and never brought one, even though I knew I could spend a long time outside in a line waiting to get in. My logic... I'm dressing for where I'll be the majority of the time (inside where it's warm) and not for the short time I'll be outside freezing my bottom off. I simply didn't want to haul around, store, or watch a coat. I think it's possible she might have done the same.

She's also not acting like she's feeling the cold. I'd think she'd be hugging herself if so.

Lastly, she's young and I can't tell you how many young people I see on the streets when the temps are in the low 40s/high 30s with shorts and a thin shirt! It appears the temps in Manhattan that night were 45-46°. But she most definitely should have had a purse with her.

I'm so glad you brought this up. I came in here to ask about that after watching the vid and not noticing a purse. She had to have had one to at least carry her ID and any money/cards in case of an emergency. I never leave home without either.

She might not have had a coat. I used to go out dancing and never brought one, even though I knew I could spend a long time outside in a line waiting to get in. My logic... I'm dressing for where I'll be the majority of the time (inside where it's warm) and not for the short time I'll be outside freezing my bottom off. I simply didn't want to haul around, store, or watch a coat. I think it's possible she might have done the same.

She's also not acting like she's feeling the cold. I'd think she'd be hugging herself if so.

Lastly, she's young and I can't tell you how many young people I see on the streets when the temps are in the low 40s/high 30s with shorts and a thin shirt! It appears the temps in Manhattan that night were 45-46°. But she most definitely should have had a purse with her.

Or instead of a purse, she could have her phone with one of those pockets on the case that can hold ID, credit card, a few bucks, etc. I can’t see the video well enough to see a phone or pockets.

SBMFF

That possibility sounds very plausible to me as well, except for this... why was she in that building and on an upper floor? I can't see even the drunkest of people wanting to enter a building to find a place to vomit, when a gutter, or a tree box, make much better places IMO.

Also, how did she even get in in the first place? The info on that property says "The building includes a 24-hour doorman".

I'd like to hear what he has to say about her gaining entrance to the building.

I’ve been to a few luxury apartment buildings in NYC that didn’t have locked doors at the area facing the front desk, (side entrances yes). I’m not usually stopped unless with a group, and head straight to the elevators. With hundreds of people living in these buildings, as long as you look fairly “the part” and are alone they probably assume you live there.

You can’t get too far without a keycard though, but I imagine she may have been able to walk around the first floor areas which plausibly have garbage chutes leading down the basement levels.

It’s unfortunate, at minimum I’m sure someone at the desk noticed how inebriated she was but we live in a fairly private society and I’m sure they didn’t want to intervene and assumed she was a resident.

Watching the video and reading the article linked above, it says she was ‘attempting to open doors’ along W 28th St. She is certainly bouncing off the buildings as she goes. I can very easily see if a street side access door was left unlocked, she would have just stumbled in. Fwiw, it’s not difficult to access the interior of a doorman building if you are the ‘right sort’ in the eyes of the doorman. As a woman in my 20s, I often used to just walk into friends’ buildings without question. I would assume that a drunk woman wouldn’t seem like much of a threat and might just be waved past, especially if she looked familiar. The doorman could also have been sorting stuff out in the basement and left the door open when she stumbled in unnoticed.

It’s possible she may have been vomiting or dropped something down the chute and leaned in to look. Another user posted a video of a man who fell feet first down a chute, I believe he dropped his keys and lost his grip trying to go after them.

LE will find out of course, but what was she doing at this building far from her home? To get in to an upper floor with a chute she must have been acquainted with a resident. Friend? Tinder date? Random stranger? She had been missing for a few days and given that the police pieced things together from her posters, no one at that building reported her missing.
(My bold, my color in above post.)

Could she have gotten sick in the cab, and the cabbie made her leave the cab? (awful but certainly possible, IMO)
Could she have been quite inebriated and asked cabbie to let her out?
Did she think she was at her apartment, so she got out of the cab, despite not being near her place at all?
So many possibilities... Hoping the NYPD, the ME, and others will figure this out to a solid conclusion.

I’ve been to a few luxury apartment buildings in NYC that didn’t have locked doors at the area facing the front desk, (side entrances yes). I’m not usually stopped unless with a group, and head straight to the elevators. With hundreds of people living in these buildings, as long as you look fairly “the part” and are alone they probably assume you live there.

You can’t get too far without a keycard though, but I imagine she may have been able to walk around the first floor areas which plausibly have garbage chutes leading down the basement levels.

It’s unfortunate, at minimum I’m sure someone at the desk noticed how inebriated she was but we live in a fairly private society and I’m sure they didn’t want to intervene and assumed she was a resident.
BBM
I feel sure she was not the only person who had come into that building super-drunk. What would the doorman do? Possibly ask her if she needed help, etc., and then let her go if she didn't answer, etc. SMH.

BBM
I feel sure she was not the only person who had come into that building super-drunk. What would the doorman do? Possibly ask her if she needed help, etc., and then let her go if she didn't answer, etc. SMH.
In the video of her on the street, it looks like there's someone walking the other direction.
It makes me think of what I would do if I saw her or someone like her in that condition. I've asked people in the subway system who are clearly inebriated if they need help and once helped a woman get home to her apartment a block from where I encountered her at a 7-11.
Feel incredibly bad for her family and those friends/coworkers that probably thought they'd done the right thing, getting her in the cab. My friends and I used to say 'call/text when you get home'. But what do you do if they don't call or text?

Feel incredibly bad for her family and those friends/coworkers that probably thought they'd done the right thing, getting her in the cab. My friends and I used to say 'call/text when you get home'. But what do you do if they don't call or text?
Especially since it was a work party, I doubt people had established 'buddy systems' like they would have done if they were going out to a bar amongst friends. With a bunch of coworkers, if I didn't get a 'got home safe!' text, I would probably just assume she sent one to someone else :( If they were all also very drunk and fell asleep the moment they got home, they might not have even noticed that no one had heard from Jackie.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
permanentvacation
Back