Women dies after competing in water drinking contest

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LionRun said:
Oh. Thank you dark shadows. You are very kind. :) Sometimes we are so disturbed by a particular story that we can overlook things. Not too much was mentioned about the three children, also. We know you care deeply and would have mentioned the little ones had you known.

BTW, I just heard on MSNBC that she entered the contest for her children. Tragic. The poor lady had no idea, as do many, that drinking too much water at one time is lethal. She probably thought the worst that would happen is her bladder would feel a little uncomfortable and she might retain some water.

Land softly in the storm,

Lion
Dear LionRun,:)
Thank-you very much for the post. Again you posted something that I was not aware of.
It is sad that she had to do the contest for a game for her children. By this, I mean that probably the only way she could get the game console for her children was to enter the contest. Sony always advertizes full force around the holidays for their over priced consoles and kids and teens just have to have them. Then the parents feel bad because they cannot afford to go out and buy these things for their children. I am sure that Jennifer's children wanted that thing for christmas, she felt bad because she could not afford it and then entered the contest with high hopes of presenting them with the console.
I feel so bad for her, her children, and all who were blessed with Jennifer.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Radio Show Yanked After Woman's Post-Contest Death

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A Sacramento-area morning radio show has been pulled off the air after a woman died last week trying to win a Nintendo Wii during a water-drinking contest at the show's studios.

Executives of KDND-FM posted a note on the station's Web site on Monday saying the "Morning Rave" show would remain off the air while the station investigates the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Lea Strange.

I just heard clips from the radio show when they were doing the contest. It's sick. Granted, I'm looking at this in hindsight, but they have people calling in warning them that people can die from water intoxication. And one of the DJs says something like, "Well, they have to sign a waiver first, so we're not responsible if they die." Then he says something along the lines of, "If you drink too much water, your body will make you throw up. If you throw up, you'll be out of the contest before you die. So that's good."

Maybe this was in the link posted, I didn't read it. But I just heard this on the radio and it shocked me. Sad. Very very sad.

DJs Talk About Water Intoxication Risk On Tape

~snip~

During the contest, a listener - self-identified as a nurse - called the live radio broadcast and warned that the game was dangerous.

"I want to say that those people drinking all that water can get sick and die from water intoxication," said the caller.

"Yeah, we're aware of that," replied a DJ. "They signed releases so we're not responsible, okay?"

Logsdon tells KOVR-TV news that they didn't hear that on-air warning in the room where he and the others were filling up way beyond comfort.

"Maybe she would have walked away," says Logsdon. "But we didn't hear that inside there."

http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_017093935.html

What is so pathetic about this contest is that at least one of the DJ's was aware of the fact that a young man in our area (the Sacramento valley) died of the exact same cause less than 2 years earlier in a fraternity hazing incident. She (the DJ) even mentioned it on air and was poo-poo'd by the other DJ's. They were aware that this was dangerous for the participants and just felt fine with endangering people's lives for a toy, and to boost their ratings. The participants were kept in the station kitchen and could not hear was was being said on air, so if they were unaware of the dangers, they did not hear the on-air exchanges. An RN called in on-air and told the DJ's about water intoxication and the potential for death and they blew her off. The woman who died drank 2 gallons of water in a matter of about 3 hours and didn't urinate so her electrolytes were so diluted that her brain couldn't send the electrical impulses necessary to tell her body to function. Her brain and other organs were swollen with water. They said at one point in the contest she complained of nausea, headache, and actually was lying on the floor in pain. They should have called paramedics. Consequently, the radio station has fired 10 people in connection with the incident. I am sure that the parent company of the station will be sued for wrongful death. According to other contestants, the waiver that they signed was generic and did not say anything about medical hazards associated with drinking excess water.

Long time lurker, first time poster, yada yada...

Unfortunately a lot of the deaths that are caused by Ectasy are due to water intoxication. It happened here in Australia about 10 years ago. A 15 year old snuck off to a rave without telling her parents and took a tab of E, and when she got sick her friends were too frightened to call for help. Eventually they called her father and he took her to hospital, but she died.

The drug itself can make people incredibly thirsty, which added to the heat and activity of hours of dancing, and impaired judgement, means that some people will literally drink themselves to death.

Water is now available for no charge at raves here, because the staff are educated in the signs of water intoxication, and if they see someone coming back repeatedly for an excessive amount of water, they will call an ambulance. Of course the best way for deaths from WI to be avoided is eradication of Ecstasy, but failing that, the water program at raves and education of the public has meant that there's been no more deaths since Anna Wood's.

Kezlyn said:
Long time lurker, first time poster, yada yada...

Unfortunately a lot of the deaths that are caused by Ectasy are due to water intoxication. It happened here in Australia about 10 years ago. A 15 year old snuck off to a rave without telling her parents and took a tab of E, and when she got sick her friends were too frightened to call for help. Eventually they called her father and he took her to hospital, but she died.

The drug itself can make people incredibly thirsty, which added to the heat and activity of hours of dancing, and impaired judgement, means that some people will literally drink themselves to death.

Water is now available for no charge at raves here, because the staff are educated in the signs of water intoxication, and if they see someone coming back repeatedly for an excessive amount of water, they will call an ambulance. Of course the best way for deaths from WI to be avoided is eradication of Ecstasy, but failing that, the water program at raves and education of the public has meant that there's been no more deaths since Anna Wood's.
So true Kezlyn. What happened to the mother of three was fully preventable, which is very disturbing. Hopefully, as a result of this tragedy it will open the public's eyes to the real dangers of water toxicity. I pray for the three children who have lost their mother.

Kazlyn, I understand you have been a long time lurker; but, welcome to the other side! The posting side side that is:) . I understand you are in a terrible drought there. I do hope you get rain soon.

Lion

Thanks for the welcome LionRun.

We have been in awful, awful drought for ages. However it started raining YESTERDAY!! It won't be enough, but it's a start. Myself and my family just stood out in it grinning :)

A few things: The danger WAS mentioned to the contestants who lasted longer and it was believed by the radio folk that the contestants would start vomiting if they became intoxicated (which i believe was info/advice given to them). Strange herself turned down medical treatment and stated that she would be fine. She even offered to drink more water if they would give her more prizes.

Somebody brought up the question, why did the large ammount of water affect her and not the other contestants? I want to know the answer to this as well. The contestant who won was not in any way affected by the large ammount of water and Strange actually gave up because it was apparant that the winning woman would be able to drink all day. Is it a body size thing? Does it have to do with sodium levels? Or?????

californiacarrie said:
Somebody brought up the question, why did the large ammount of water affect her and not the other contestants?
diffenent substances affect different people different ways.
Most products and chemicals in the U.S. have what's called a td-50
rating , and that means at what level relative to body mass is a product
fatal in 50% of test subjects. So you would in this case have to have at least 50 subjects, drinking the same kind of water, in the same amounts, intervals etc... in order to determine a baseline of how much water it would take to kill the 'average' person in that scenario.....does that make sense?

~lightwaveryder~

the rating system of td-50 and ld-50 was outlawed in the US in 1991.*edit*

I saw an interview with the woman who won it and she was very sick that night. She said she had a really bad headache and could barely walk. It isn't worth it to win a prize like that.

lightwaveryder said:
diffenent substances affect different people different ways.
Most products and chemicals in the U.S. have what's called a td-50
rating , and that means at what level relative to body mass is a product
fatal in 50% of test subjects. So you would in this case have to have at least 50 subjects, drinking the same kind of water, in the same amounts, intervals etc... in order to determine a baseline of how much water it would take to kill the 'average' person in that scenario.....does that make sense?
~lightwaveryder~

the rating system of td-50 and ld-50 was outlawed in the US in 1991.*edit*
sorta...thanks. i'm curious as to if she was on any medications and if they may have also had some sort of effect. i'd also like to know her past health history.

I just hope this tragedy puts an end to the endurance and gluttony contests.

It can be deadly. My sister who is mentally ill is now in the hopsital after becoming toxic. She went into the crisis center for her bi-polar. They upped her meds so much that she came back to our house. She could not drink enough waater and it was something to watch. Acted drunk and in a stupor. Could not stand up slept all the time Appeared totally drugged. We thought it was because of the massive meds they upped. And we have seen her over the years get meds upped and she acted totally out of it. Long story short: The meds did cause the inability for her to quench her thirst, but she became toxic. I am livid and was already mad that they upped her meds which just made her worse ( by becoming toxic and did nothing for the psychosis. )

I have also read that kids that take ecstacy (sp) die because it causes a severe thirst such as my sister experienced and they die of water poisening not over dosing on X. We thought we knew it all after 17 years of dealing with her illness, but just learned more the hard way.

A local filmmaker hopes the White House will be watching a civil case this summer over a woman who died in a radio station water-drinking contest.

Jennifer Strange died Jan. 12 after drinking nearly two gallons of water in a competition sponsored by 107.9 The End. Contestants were vying for a Nintendo Wii video game system.

Strange did not win the contest but was found dead hours later in her Rancho Cordova home. A preliminary coroner's report said Strange showed symptoms of water intoxication.

The civil suit goes to trial Aug. 31. And Sue Wilson hopes President Barack Obama is paying attention.

http://www.kcra.com/news/18806805/detail.html

Forgive me for being obtuse but what exactly does Sue Wilson hope to gain, or change within the FCC if President Obama is watching this case?

I would think that the DJ's and the station and the parent owner would be liable for damages but where is she going with the FCC? I really don't grasp what she is saying.

Agree. On a side note, those same DJ's (the males) were on one of our local stations from about 2000-ish to sometime in 2001...they were fired after bad ratings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yoshibee
Back