Would the Govt response be different in NO.......

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I haven't had the chance to read this entire thread, but I don't want to think race would have made a difference, but these people weren't treated like Americans should be treated. Part of the problem was not preparing ahead with supplies. They knew the hurricane was coming, and knew that not everyone would evacuate. There should have been supplies, especially water, on hand to drop off for the victims stranded. Those poor people along I-10 who couldn't get over to the dome should have had water dropped down to them. I do feel like these ones that didn't evacuate when told were treated very poorly. I don't think we can understand the level of poverty these people were in. I don't think many had the money or transportation to just up and leave. Sure, some saw an opportunity to advantage of the situation and take what wasn't theirs for no reason except it was free. If some wanted to loot clothes and jewelry, so be it. You're always going to have some bad apples, but that doesn't make it right for those who did try to evacuate and make it to I-10 to have to wait 4 days in the hot blazing sun watching their own slowly die before getting help. I wonder if our President knows what it's like to sweat! I wonder if he'd feel different about grabbing some water or formula if he had an infant in his arms slowly loosing the will to live, slowly dehydrating, slowly dying. Would he grab a pair of shoes for his elderly father to protect his bloody feet and help him walk? Guards should have been called in to protect the people. These people in NO were treated like animals.

kahskye said:
I haven't had the chance to read this entire thread, but I don't want to think race would have made a difference, but these people weren't treated like Americans should be treated. Part of the problem was not preparing ahead with supplies. They knew the hurricane was coming, and knew that not everyone would evacuate. There should have been supplies, especially water, on hand to drop off for the victims stranded. Those poor people along I-10 who couldn't get over to the dome should have had water dropped down to them. I do feel like these ones that didn't evacuate when told were treated very poorly. I don't think we can understand the level of poverty these people were in. I don't think many had the money or transportation to just up and leave. Sure, some saw an opportunity to advantage of the situation and take what wasn't theirs for no reason except it was free. If some wanted to loot clothes and jewelry, so be it. You're always going to have some bad apples, but that doesn't make it right for those who did try to evacuate and make it to I-10 to have to wait 4 days in the hot blazing sun watching their own slowly die before getting help. I wonder if our President knows what it's like to sweat! I wonder if he'd feel different about grabbing some water of formula if he had an infant in his arms slowly loosing the will to live, slowly dehydrating, slowly dying. Would he grab a pair of shoes for his elderly father to protect his bloody feet and help him walk? Guards should have been called in to protect the people. These people in NO were treated like animals.
When we keep hearing about snipers attacking rescuers, holding others hostage, the very helicopters shot at when they try to drop water, is it any wonder that action is not happening fast enough.

I'd say sit back, take a deep breath and look at the whole picture. As soon as troops can get in there and take charge and try to restore some order, someone is going to be able to get to them. Concentrate on sending good vibes to the troops to restore some order. As soon as that's done, then help will be there in a flash.

BarnGoddess said:
When we keep hearing about snipers attacking rescuers, holding others hostage, the very helicopters shot at when they try to drop water, is it any wonder that action is not happening fast enough.

I'd say sit back, take a deep breath and look at the whole picture. As soon as troops can get in there and take charge and try to restore some order, someone is going to be able to get to them. Concentrate on sending good vibes to the troops to restore some order. As soon as that's done, then help will be there in a flash.
As always BarnGoddess, your voice of experience.:clap:

So we should accept that it's taken the government 5 days to get in there and deal with the snippers and looters while innocent people are suffering and dying? Is this what we should expect from them? What if this were a situation where terrorists were holding NY city hostage? Would you be content with the government waiting 5 days to take action?

BarnGoddess said:
It's a wonder that our government let the criminal element take over and halt/prevent rescue efforts that began far too late.

That's part of the whole picture, too.

Mabel said:
So we should accept that it's taken the government 5 days to get in there and deal with the snippers and looters while innocent people are suffering and dying? Is this what we should expect from them? What if this were a situation where terrorists were holding NY city hostage? Would you be content with the government waiting 5 days to take action?

Well, you know my opinion on that. I was calling for the military before the storm hit. I know these people, I am from there originally. The action has to be intiated at a State level.

BarnGoddess said:

Oh please, I don't need to take a deep breath. I have looked at the whole picture. Given the advance warning the government had on this hurricane, why didn't they start preparing for supplies and relief sooner? They knew this in a high crime rate area. They knew there was a high chance of looting and snipers. The troops should have been ready to move immediately. I agree with Mabel. They should have had military ready to go in on day one before the snipers tried to take the city. Five days is unacceptable.

Pardon my aneurysm. Did I just hear that Bush praised the head of FEMA?

Uhg. I had hope when he said the response was unacceptable, but if he praised the guy who's running this for FEMA, who didn't know as of yesterday afternoon that there was unrest or that there were people at the convention center, I will scream.

Dara said:
Pardon my aneurysm. Did I just hear that Bush praised the head of FEMA?

Uhg. I had hope when he said the response was unacceptable, but if he praised the guy who's running this for FEMA, who didn't know as of yesterday afternoon that there was unrest or that there were people at the convention center, I will scream.

Welcome to my world.

DEPUTYDAWG said:
I agree. If you really think about it, A LOT has been done in just 4 days! Not enough, clearly, but let's realize we are talking thousands and thousands of people. As someone at work said yesterday (and I posted it, but I think it's worth repeating, IMO) - "This is the first time we've tried to relocate an ENTIRE municipality."

People interviewed that said a lot of people didn't have the means to leave, but a lot didn't leave because they're "sentimental." Not my word, but from a guy from down there. Heck, I'm sentimental, but won't lose my life or my family's life due to being sentimental. It's disheartening to me that people who have never been through an emergency/disaster can talk about what all needs to be done. I hate to see the finger-pointing now - get the people taken care of (in flocks of 25,000! at a time) and we can all have the next 5-10 years to analyze what went wrong and where. It'll be analyzed and debated for years to come. I also can't blame Bush or even Clinton if ya wanna go back further. This has been years of mismanagement, I guess.

And no, I do not think race has much of anything to do with it. Maybe the enormity of the poverty, and lack of means to evacuate, may have been underestimated; but other than that, no, I don't think there was a layer of government (local, state or federal) that sat back and decided we won't plan accordingly because of race. JMHO.

There was an African American male on Fox this morning, being interviewed after he and his family had been transported to the AstroDome, but turned away because it's full. He sounded disgusted with what "my own people" are doing. His words, not mine. He said now was the time to step up and be a real man. God bless him and his wife and I think it was 2 small kids with him. I hope he's one that is being sent to Reliant Stadium.

This post imo says it all-- very well written and thought out I agree with everything 1000000000% :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mabel said:

I dont think anyone should be "content" with the time frame -- However, I truly believe "us" sitting in the privacy of our homes, have no idea of the true magnitude of this tragedy- I do understand that they not only had to contend with the hurricane, but the flooding was proabaly the worse of the 2 nightmares. I think we all need to think about the geographical area we are talking about also---- this isnt just a neighborhood or two. It is very very very sad, and as I said before, we should not be ok with the timeframe , but I dont believe it was just because the agencies were lazy-- I think they never had a thought of having to deal with something of this horrific nature...

Good grief, O'Reilly has things happening. Their saying there is still 30,000 people in New Orleans. 30,000. Where are they going to take this many people?

Linda7NJ said:
If the majority were affluent & white :confused:
I think the affluent and white that lived there also lost everything they owned. The hurricaine and water were color blind. I believe that the people of the US, the US government and other nations will be extermely generous with their help. It is a tragedy of such a magnitude that relief was just not prepared. I can't believe that anyone would think that color and/or economic status makes a difference in a situation like this...

j2mirish said:
However, I truly believe "us" sitting in the privacy of our homes, have no idea of the true magnitude of this tragedy-
How about that? That gives us something in common with Michael Brown.

Marthatex said:
less0305 said:
EDITED

Perhaps I should use the word "impoverished", instead of blacks. Politically correct. The "impoverished" are having a hard time down there. We in Texas are trying to do everything we can to help.
:doh: :banghead: THUD! AGAIN!

Linda7NJ said:
:doh: :banghead: THUD! AGAIN!

Why don't you recognize a problem? Do you have a magic wand to make this all go away? Please ease my soul, all I do is cry. Help me.

Another day another night

I don't personally care what anyone calls anybody. Even the conversation is a waste of time.
They are reporting 30,000 people at a convention center in New Orleans. Are we braindead? These people need to be moved to safe places.

Beyond Belief said:
Another day another night

I don't personally care what anyone calls anybody. Even the conversation is a waste of time.
They are reporting 30,000 people at a convention center in New Orleans. Are we braindead? These people need to be moved to safe places.
It is my belief that this is being done as we post...

=Dara]How about that? That gives us something in common with Michael Brown

Please explain what you mean by that? My post was with no intention of disrespect anyone- If you felt I worded somethng in a way it did- explain-
tia

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZOda60