Would you lie in court to save your child? CLOSED FOR REVIEW

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you lie to save your child's life?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 261 47.3%
  • I don't know

Votes: 191 34.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm angry that Cindy lied (IMO) today, but I can't fault her for wanting to spare her child from the DEATH penalty and seizing the moment. Especially knowing I would do the same thing.

Had to vote I don't know, can't even put myself in that position because I have not been there. According to a few judges I have heard, this type of issue with lying moms happens often, though fathers don't seem to function the same way. I will say that I lean towards 'no', because I am known as the parent in my daughter's school that will be the first to put the ownus on my kiddo and discpline her myself, vs. many parents out there today that blame the schools, blame other kids, never their little angel. Isn't that part and parcel of the problems that we're seeing with entitled brats these days?
At any rate, this thread is great because it allows me a jumping off point on something I have been stewing on since I watched that bull pucky today-

This goes well deeper than CA being worried about KC getting the death penalty. If this were about the DP, then tell me why:

Did CA blame Jesse and his mother for kidnapping Caylee prior to KC being charged iwth murder 1?
Did Cindy leave that horrible message for Tim Miller, bringing up his daughter?
Did Cindy behave so horribly to Zenaida?
Go to KC's high school and blame the school for KC's graduation woes (speaking of school issues)?

She is a liar and and she is the rotten tree that the rotten apple fell from. Those things above have nothing to do with a premeditated murder that KC had not been charged with.

I hope the state plays the ridiculous "anonymous" message that Yuri got from Cindy, teling him that if KC did it, she had to have help.

Finally, I hear pundits say that Cindy is just punting it at this point because she has nothing to lose, she is losing everything that was ever important to her. That is utterly ignorant.
SHE HAS A SON, HER FIRST BORN, that is getting married, that may bear grandchildren to her. He deserves to be recognized, to have a mother that loves and appreciates him and does not neglect that relationship for the girl that has sucked all of the life out of the room. I don't need to call her vulgar names, I don't need to reason with her, I would never compare what the good people on this forum would do in her shoes cause we are not, that I know of, the devious person that she has proven to be outside of this trial, let alone during this trial. The only word or thought I have left in my mind about Cindy Anthony is that she is SELFISH. Selfish. She does not care about Casey, or else she would not ruin her own credibility with the jury. She does not care about her husband, or she would meet his emotional needs. She does not acknowledge the value and worth of her son. She certainly only sees Caylee as her shattered bauble. Her own family has known this for some time, as per Rick-If it's bad news, she hides it, if it's good news she shouts it to the world. No wonder her daughter is twisted.

I'm angry that Cindy lied (IMO) today, but I can't fault her for wanting to spare her child from the DEATH penalty and seizing the moment. Especially knowing I would do the same thing.

I'm sure I would have done the same.

I don't know if it would work, but I would probably just refuse to testify to anything, and risk being in contempt.

Had to vote I don't know, can't even put myself in that position because I have not been there. According to a few judges I have heard, this type of issue with lying moms happens often, though fathers don't seem to function the same way. I will say that I lean towards 'no', because I am known as the parent in my daughter's school that will be the first to put the ownus on my kiddo and discpline her myself, vs. many parents out there today that blame the schools, blame other kids, never their little angel. Isn't that part and parcel of the problems that we're seeing with entitled brats these days?
At any rate, this thread is great because it allows me a jumping off point on something I have been stewing on since I watched that bull pucky today-

This goes well deeper than CA being worried about KC getting the death penalty. If this were about the DP, then tell me why:

Did CA blame Jesse and his mother for kidnapping Caylee prior to KC being charged iwth murder 1?
Did Cindy leave that horrible message for Tim Miller, bringing up his daughter?
Did Cindy behave so horribly to Zenaida?
Go to KC's high school and blame the school for KC's graduation woes (speaking of school issues)?

She is a liar and and she is the rotten tree that the rotten apple fell from. Those things above have nothing to do with a premeditated murder that KC hads not been charged with.

I hope the state plays the ridiculous "anonymous" message that Yuri got from Cindy, teling him that if KC did it, she had to have help.

Finally, I hear pundits say that Cindy is just punting it at this point because she has nothing to lose, she is losing everything that was ever important to her. That is utterly ignorant.
SHE HAS A SON, HER FIRST BORN, that is getting married, that may bear grandchildren to her. He deserves to be recognized, to have a mother that loves and appreciates him and does not neglect that relationship for the girl that has sucked all of the life out of the room. I don't need to call her vulgar names, I don't need to reason with her, I would never compare what the good people on this forum would do in her shoes cause we are not, that I know of, the devious person that she has proven to be outside of this trial, let alone during this trial. The only word or thought I have left in my mind about Cindy Anthony is that she is SELFISH. Selfish. She does not care about Casey, or else she would not ruin her own credibility with the jury. She does not care about her husband, or she would meet his emotional needs. She does not acknowledge the value and worth of her son. She certainly only sees Caylee as her shattered bauble. Her own family has known this for some time, as per Rick-If it's bad news, she hides it, if it's good news she shouts it to the world. No wonder her daughter is twisted.

<modsnip>.

What good will come of executing Casey? None. At least she has a chance to make an impact in the world if her life is spared.

I'm completely against the DP. So if I thought the state would execute my child I like others might lie to spare the life of my child.

But I'd probably do that for any one who is facing the DP. It's just pointless, especially in this situation. Maybe I could go for it if someone's loved one was killed by an "outsider" but all this is doing is destroying their family.

I think Cindy is hanging on any way she can, and I really can't be so cruel to call her "selfish" because she wants the pain to be less. dayum...

Would you choose to lie to the jury and risk the jury abadoning any reverence toward your wishes at penalty phase, or would you tell the truth, and then beg for her life on behalf of yourself and your granddaughter, with credibility because you told the truth?
Maybe that is the fundamental question.

I had answered "yes" to this poll, but my own daughter just said she wouldn't want me to lie for her to save her life, especially if she killed her own child! Said she'd deserve to die and would prefer that to life in prison anyway. So I guess I should change my answer!

Would you choose to lie to the jury and risk the jury abadoning any reverence toward your wishes at penalty phase, or would you tell the truth, and then beg for her life on behalf of yourself and your granddaughter, with credibility because you told the truth?

The begging for the life of the child didn't work in the Sugarland Conspiracy. The guy is on Death Row as we speak.

I voted I don't know.

I wouold have to be treated as a hostile witness if I were expected to testify against my own child in a DP case. I probably would end up doing time for refusal to answer.

Just being honest about me. I would never want to be in this position. I can't say what I would do--but I'm confident that I would never open my mouth and given anyone any fuel to prosecute any of my children. Regardless of what they are accused of doing. I would keep my mouth shut until the day I died probably. But that's just me and my personality. all JMHO

You know, I would hope if something like this touched my life, my children would have enough respect to come to me and tell me what happened. I would then advise them to first get an attorney and we would all go down to LE and tell what happened, but first would get a promise of some form of immunity or get a lesser charge against them... I wouldn't expect them to cover up a murder to appear as if a kidnapping occurred..I would believe they had more compassion/emotion/good upbringing and intelligence than what ICA has shown for Caylee...

I have always stated the Anthony's are in a catch 22 any way you slice it, it's a no win situation all the way around. They shouldn't lie but beg for mercy if ICA is proved guilty of murder....JMHO

Justice for Caylee

I'd lie to the jury, because that has a better shot of working.

There was a case where a son paid someone to kill his entire family, but the father survived. During the penalty phase, the father begged the jury to spare his son's life; the father had already lost so much. His son was all he had left.

Son was given the death penalty.

Begging for my son's life during the penalty phase has a very low chance of success, IMO.

I have to say... if it meant the death penalty, I just might. I would want him punished, but death is something much different!

I so understand that sentiment. I really do and right from my heart. However, I keep asking myself....WHO is there representing poor Caylee who was brutally murdered? Who? There is NO other family and this family just plain has no interest in doing it.

If my daughter killed my granddaughter I would NEVER forgive her for that deed. I will ALWAYS love my daughter no matter what she does. Always. But I could not forgive that particular act and I would tell her from day one she must confess and pay for crime because this would be something so big and so awful that I could NOT save her butt for her.

For a while I thought the Anthony's had finally reached that point...had finally grown up and decided it was time for Casey to do the same only to see today that it is all the same old same old with them. THIS behavior today is the sort of thing that left Caylee totally defenseless and at the mercy of the monster who gave birth to her. Poor little Caylee never stood a chance in that household.

Holy crap! Way to blame everything on mommy.

What good will come of executing Casey? None. At least she has a chance to make an impact in the world if her life is spared.

I'm completely against the DP. So if I thought the state would execute my child I like others might lie to spare the life of my child.

But I'd probably do that for any one who is facing the DP. It's just pointless, especially in this situation. Maybe I could go for it if someone's loved one was killed by an "outsider" but all this is doing is destroying their family.

I think Cindy is hanging on any way she can, and I really can't be so cruel to call her "selfish" because she wants the pain to be less. dayum...

No argumentative tone intended, but I did not write that KC killed Caylee because of Cindy, I wrote that KC is rotten just like her mother and a twisted girl from a twisted family. Stealing from Jesse was proof of that, nothing to do with the murder, but CA acted like the Grunds should just get over it.
Cindy never killed anyone, in fact she may save lives...and there are lots of ugly people out there that never would think to kill. Killing someone in cold blood is an extreme that very few go to.
There are many psychiatrists out there that treat their patients by going into how they formed their life opinions from the behavior of their parents.
I am for the death penalty for many good reasons, but this is the wrong thread for that philosophical discussion.
I am not being cruel, I am being honest. Cindy is a big girl and doesn;t need to be sheltered from her own horrible behavior any longer. So many of us here have done that time and time again-So many people that actually know Cindy have tried to be there for her time and time again, only to be shut out. Including Cindy's own ailing mother.

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment that you pronounce you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

BBM-I have searched my soul many times over to understand Cindy, to know whether or not I was weak of spirit and projecting anger on her without understanding what I would do in her shoes.
As I wrote, I don't know what I would do if my child were facing the death penalty, but I do know this: I would not blame an innocent young man for something I knew was untrue. I would not throw a man's murdered daughter in his face for no reason. I would not be nasty to a woman who did nothing to me. I would not and do not allow my child to shirk personal responsibility, integrity and accountability. ALL prior to any accuation by the state that my child premeditated a murder.

ETA-Corrction: She was nasty to Zenaida after the murder indictment, but the civil case is not a murder trial. Or is it?

I picked I don't know because I couldn't for a second imagine all you must go through to get to the spot Cindy was today.

I'm not a liar in general so I honestly think it would be written all over my face if I tried to lie in court - I think it would be pointless so in that respect I probably wouldn't. But I think I might try if it meant the DP was off the table as a result of my lie. I'd take a year in jail versus the death of my 25 year old.

That being said, there's so many other things that would have went down before this moment. My daughter would have been told to take a plea. The story would have been this was an accident and she flipped and covered it up. I'd try to get her in a mental hospital (obviously it would be beneficial no matter what you believe about ICA) as she awaited trial and hopefully she'd take her sentence with dignity and try to improve the lives of those on the inside.

I'd lie to the jury, because that has a better shot of working.

There was a case where a son paid someone to kill his entire family, but the father survived. During the penalty phase, the father begged the jury to spare his son's life; the father had already lost so much. His son was all he had left.

Son was given the death penalty.

Begging for my son's life during the penalty phase has a very low chance of success, IMO.

Yikes! Now that's am unmoveabe jury, and maybe you're right that any jury could be. Geez, I dunno. Wouldn't you be scared that you'd be caught? CA/KC have nerves of steel, that's for sure.

I had the same thought about the hostile witness stuff. I think ICA learned to lie from her mom. She (CA) did it as smoothly as ICA.

I have to agree - it was almost as if ICA was testifying today. I'm scared to death of what is to come from Cindy....I think she's going to throw her own husband under the bus :(

Yikes! Now that's am unmoveabe jury, and maybe you're right that any jury could be. Geez, I dunno. Wouldn't you be scared that you'd be caught? CA/KC have nerves of steel, that's for sure.
Bart Whitaker is the son sentenced to death.

Scared I'd get caught? I don't know, but probably not. I'd be more scared of my son getting the needle.

I'm no op but I'm sure I would do the same and not worry about the charges that I may face.

No I would not and they both know I would not. They respect me for it. Nor would I expect them to lie for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member