Writing a book about a murder in my own town

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Cedar Sherwood

Former Member
Reaction score
I am in the beginning stages of pulling together a rough outline for a book. It's about an unsolved murder of a young woman that took place in my own town.

This happened a long time ago. It's a cold case that is sometimes written about in the news.

I'd like to know your thoughts on what it takes to start a project like this. I am being vague for privacy reasons, but I'd welcome anything that comes to mind in response to what I've shared.

Okay, I've shared nothing. But I'd still like to hear from you.

Old genealogist here.

Visit your local historical society, and your local genealogical society, for background & setting. What was the town like when this happened? What was important? Which parades received the most press coverage? Which industries were most important? Which churches were busy in the community? What can you find out about this victim, schools she attended, the victim's family, their employers, their neighborhood?

You'll likely hear/find plenty that isn't in LE & court files, too.

Find your state, then your county, here:

USGenWeb Project - Always Free

And, find your state's newspaper archive -- probably at a major university -- and visit in person to read & copy everything you can find about this event. Newspapers & towns combine over the years, try to find a librarian/archivist interested in what you're doing to back you up.

Many towns & counties had histories published at various markers in time -- the Bicentennial in 1976, the town's centennials, etc. Find those & steep yourself in the area.

Your closest university or state Historical Society has a collection of Historical Manuscripts or something like that. Here you will find records from companies, organizations, and families. You may find ties between major players in your situation here -- the officers & board of directors at a company may have all played golf at the same club, and all been part of a civic club, and all tied in other ways.

Please keep us posted!

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:

Thank you!

And, since you are nearby, go to the courthouse & carefully review everything available about your victim & family -- house deed, tax records, marriage licenses, wills, divorces, court actions, anything & everything.

Who were the witnesses on those marriage licenses?

Your area may have municipal records like this. I have some family records sent by a distant relative that are held in a Town Hall in Rhode Island.

If this victim's family had a faith life, the records of the church & denomination may be interesting -- if your victim was confirmed, for instance, which adults worked with that Confirmation Class?

Yes, I am a wordy old genealogist.

jmho ymmv lrr

Keep careful records of your search, or you will pay for photocopies of the same will 3 times -- don't ask me how I know....

I am in the beginning stages of pulling together a rough outline for a book. It's about an unsolved murder of a young woman that took place in my own town.

This happened a long time ago. It's a cold case that is sometimes written about in the news.

I'd like to know your thoughts on what it takes to start a project like this. I am being vague for privacy reasons, but I'd welcome anything that comes to mind in response to what I've shared.

What are your questions? I might be able to help. Message me if you'd like.

Old genealogist here.

Visit your local historical society, and your local genealogical society, for background & setting. What was the town like when this happened? What was important? Which parades received the most press coverage? Which industries were most important? Which churches were busy in the community? What can you find out about this victim, schools she attended, the victim's family, their employers, their neighborhood?

And, find your state's newspaper archive -- probably at a major university -- and visit in person to read & copy everything you can find about this event. Newspapers & towns combine over the years, try to find a librarian/archivist interested in what you're doing to back you up.

Many towns & counties had histories published at various markers in time -- the Bicentennial in 1976, the town's centennials, etc. Find those & steep yourself in the area.

Your closest university or state Historical Society has a collection of Historical Manuscripts or something like that. Here you will find records from companies, organizations, and families. You may find ties between major players in your situation here -- the officers & board of directors at a company may have all played golf at the same club, and all been part of a civic club, and all tied in other ways.

Please keep us posted!

jmho ymmv lrr
This is just amazing. Thank you so much. You've given me a lot to consider. Do you feel it's best that I don't disclose who this person was, her name and location? Or would it be a good idea to share this here?

WHY are you writing this - no need to answer here, but you should know: is it important history, do you just want to write a book, other? Want to sell a million, or don't care? If you're totally new at writing, I strongly suggest you get a book or two on 'writing a novel' -- understand story arc, subplots, emotions in writing; otherwise your passionate effort can come out dull and dry (all the excitement of the telephone book).

JMO / IANAE

I think one important thing is to have a solid timeline of events before you write. It can help make it so you don't have to go back and rearrange things after writing during edits.

Also, consider putting in a data request with the local sheriff. Most of them have a form you can fill out requesting information they have on the case. Now, it's possible they don't grant you anything but here in MN there's a state statute allowing the general public to formally request information. The sheriff has to provide information that doesn't compromise an ongoing investigation.

Old genealogist here.

Please keep us posted!

jmho ymmv lrr
Excellent thank you. This is helpful for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back