Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Great postings from Justice be served! I knew you were there but couldn’t see who you were, I was so sorry I couldn’t spot you.

I was late home so I’m tired out, but I have a couple of additional observations and feedback I can post tomorrow. I think I have a couple of ideas on where Mr G is going with this...I got it right at the end of the day, with the final few mins of testimony... about the rope..

The live stream is great! I wish they did that every day. Not sure if Mr G,s questioning is on there, though...( the recordings?) or if it was even streamed/ shown?

Not sure if this was streamed and you've all seen it but I didn't see the cameraman there for a part of the afternoon.

Everyone who is in the courtroom & wishes to recap for us, PLEASE DO! I can't watch the livestream & probably won't be able to watch much of the testimony on the website until the weekend. So, I still rely on summaries for an overview of the information. Plus, it's great to get the impression from people in the courtroom of how the room feels during some of this stuff. So, yes, yes, yes...appreciate the posts!!

The surprise for me - during the defense on the 911 call testimony - was that Adam not only got the knife to cut Rebecca down from the main house (which was unlocked early morning) but he also went through the main house through the front door (which was also unlocked early morning) to go back to the courtyard after retrieving the house address from the street side. What? The main house wasn't locked at any door?? That just doesn't make sense. I know Coronado is very safe but why wouldn't Rebecca lock the doors before retiring for the night. And, with that kind of reasoning, why didn't Nina or DS walk right in when they came by late at night?

He said in his polygraph interview: I ran around to the kitchen to get a knife "'Cuz it was open." He didn't say, I went to check if the house was open. That means he KNEW it was open. Rebecca's sister did say she left it open a lot because it was a safe area, still... yes, it was wide open & at least Adam knew. <modsnip>

Re: open doors--per police reports for the address, there was a burglar alarm. Don't know why they weren't in use. Another thing I've wondered about is whether it was Rebecca's idea to board the dog. They say she did call that first day, but still ... did someone put her up to it? Remember that Jonah had experience of HIS protective dog attacking Dina when she was angry. Maybe they didn't want a protective dog around when confronting Rebecca.

Best I can tell, Greer didn't ask about the discrepancy as to when Adam called 911, per his statement at the polygraph. To me, that was huge, because you have to know if you're on the phone running in to get a knife or if you did that first. His statement at poly was his did all that THEN called 911.

I believe there were a lot of discrepancies and issues with Adam & I am shocked, really, that Greer's direct was so short. I thought maybe he saved some of it for some sort of redirect, but sounds like Adam is done, gone. I'm very disappointed by that, though Greer is sharp & seems to know what he's doing (I hope!).

From testimony I saw: I noted that about Adam's arrest, he said he was stopped for right turn on red, but the matter for which he was arrested was never explained (something to do with insurance a year before -- what? An accident? Or? They don't just arrest you cuz your insurance lapsed). Then, when his attorney says ... what happened when he went to court, AS says..."It was taken care o... uh, it was summarily dismissed." So, yeah, pretty sure there's more to that, it's not an innocuous right on red, and pretty sure Jonah took care of it.

NB did anyone pick up the snippet from the testimony that the attorney ( I believe called Pfingst, ) was trying to contact AS when he was with the police, but that AS apparently told him he did not want an attorney?

Also that JS is helping AS financially with the trial, (alongside the insurance policy)? I was unaware of both of these....

Wow! Great postings from Justice be served! I knew you were there but couldn&#8217;t see who you were, I was so sorry I couldn&#8217;t spot you.

I was late home so I&#8217;m tired out, but I have a couple of additional observations and feedback I can post tomorrow. I think I have a couple of ideas on where Mr G is going with this...I got it right at the end of the day, with the final few mins of testimony... about the rope..

The live stream is great! I wish they did that every day. Not sure if Mr G,s questioning is on there, though...( the recordings?) or if it was even streamed/ shown?

Would love to hear your further observations, Lezah. Also, any specific notable reactions in the courtroom. It does not appear most of Greer's questioning is on the videos (at least what's posted now, didn't see as it was streaming). I'm really eager to hear more detail about it. I feel like I'm missing a lot. Also, I REALLY want to hear your ideas on where Mr. G is going with this. Can't wait for your post tomorrow.

Thanks to you and Justice Be Served for offering so much good "reporting" from the courtroom!

Question for cynic..

Cynic, can you please help me by reposting a link to what you did on the balcony measurements? You did some great illustrations I recall. Did you get the measurements from an exhibit I can reference? I would like to check some of the rope measurement aspects with your findings before I post tomorrow if it’s not too much trouble.

I believe from the evidence I saw today there is an issue ( a big issue) with the drop height of the rope

Would love to hear your further observations, Lezah. Also, any specific notable reactions in the courtroom. It does not appear most of Greer's questioning is on the videos (at least what's posted now, didn't see as it was streaming). I'm really eager to hear more detail about it. I feel like I'm missing a lot. Also, I REALLY want to hear your ideas on where Mr. G is going with this. Can't wait for your post tomorrow.

Thanks to you and Justice Be Served for offering so much good "reporting" from the courtroom!

Thanks so much! We were a littleWS onsite team today! I will try and post early tomorrow as I can, I hope Cynic can give me some help too... night night &#128149;

Much appreciation for our Websleuth court reporters. Justice for Rebecca!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Hey Everyone,

Mr. Greer said he is going to call me early in the (Tuesday) morning. Feel free to post more questions.

Thankyou Tricia!

My Questions -

Have you identified a possible discrepancy between the verbal testimony in evidence and the physical evidence regarding the rope?

Do you place any significance on the noticeable avoidance in AS testimony of the storage room in the guest house?

Thanks so much, and please ask mr G to send our thoughts to the family. It must have been a very hard day today with the 911 played over and over.

Hey Everyone,

Mr. Greer said he is going to call me early in the (Tuesday) morning. Feel free to post more questions.

Mr. Greer - have you ever interviewed JS? (Have you ever discussed the alleged voicemail for RZ with JS)?

I can't believe he said "that is what I said at 6:40 or whatever it was when I walked out my door and saw a girl hanging in the courtyard".

Wow. Even remembering it now for the court he didn't say Rebecca.

Just Wow.

Question for cynic..

Cynic, can you please help me by reposting a link to what you did on the balcony measurements? You did some great illustrations I recall. Did you get the measurements from an exhibit I can reference? I would like to check some of the rope measurement aspects with your findings before I post tomorrow if it’s not too much trouble.

I believe from the evidence I saw today there is an issue ( a big issue) with the drop height of the rope
Sure. Have a look at these posts...
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...oeprints-on-the-balcony&p=7165301#post7165301

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...oeprints-on-the-balcony&p=7259674#post7259674

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...oeprints-on-the-balcony&p=7277170#post7277170

I hope that helps. I've also attached a file with floor plans.

Attachments

• floorplans.pdf
    989.2 KB · Views: 9
I can't believe he said "that is what I said at 6:40 or whatever it was when I walked out my door and saw a girl hanging in the courtyard".

Wow. Even remembering it now for the court he didn't say Rebecca.

Just Wow.

That struck me, too. Yet, he calls her "Becka," which sounds like a nickname of some endearment, throughout other portions of his testimony. Also, strikes me that in his 911 call, he NEVER ONCE says her name...he doesn't scream, "Oh Becka, Oh my god, Becka..." never seems to be very dismayed about her condition (just irritated with the things that were immediately happening while he's supposedly cutting her down-- *advertiser censored**, s**t, etc.). No even when he yells at her, "Are you alive?" (bizarre) -- he doesn't say, "Are you alive? Becka, talk to me..." Nothing. This hit me much harder once I heard him call her Becka throughout much of his testimony--not like some distant, random girlfriend of his brothers, that he hardly knew. Rather, someone very, very familiar to him.

I've transcribed the last portion of what I think was brilliant questioning by Mr Greer:

Q. After the first responders came is it true that rather than call your brother Jonah to talk about it you sent him a text?

A. I do not recall that sir.

Q. And when he eventually called you back did you have a chat with him?

A. Um whenever I got..I spoke with him that morning yes sir.

Q. And when you first spoke with him is it true that you didn't tell him the manner in which Rebecca had died..you didn't tell him that she was hanged?

A. I believe that is correct.

Q. Is that because you..the guilt that you were feeling you just weren't composed enough to even share it with him?

A. Uh no sir.

Q. And uh is it true sir that when asked in interview later that day what you felt should..you were asked the question what should happen to somebody if they intentionally did this and your response was something to the effect that you had not thought it through that far?

A. When I'd not understood the question um at that time uh yes sir I did say that. I went on to say that I thought something bad should happen and I was very tough on violent crime.

Move to strike.
On what basis?
Non-responsive after the first..
Overruled

Q. So you're saying that after your response of you hadn't thought it through that far you had some more clarification after that?

A. After I understood the question uh yes sir.

Q: You were prepared for me to ask that question pretty good weren't you?

A: Uh..

Objection ...part of the question, it's argumentative.
Sustained

Q: And you still to this day think that Rebecca Zahau hung herself?

A: Yes sir.

Q: Even after you saw the evidence of the knife being put into her vagina?

Objection objection lack of evidence lack of foundation
Sustained

Q: You've seen all the evidence that's been put in this case you've been sitting here the whole time right?

Q: And you're still saying it's a suicide right?

A: I believe it is sir.

No further questions your honor.

I've transcribed the last portion of what I think was brilliant questioning by Mr Greer:

Q. After the first responders came is it true that rather than call your brother Jonah to talk about it you sent him a text?

A. I do not recall that sir.

Q. And when he eventually called you back did you have a chat with him?

A. Um whenever I got..I spoke with him that morning yes sir.

Q. And when you first spoke with him is it true that you didn't tell him the manner in which Rebecca had died..you didn't tell him that she was hanged?

A. I believe that is correct.

Q. Is that because you..the guilt that you were feeling you just weren't composed enough to even share it with him?

A. Uh no sir.

Q. And uh is it true sir that when asked in interview later that day what you felt should..you were asked the question what should happen to somebody if they intentionally did this and your response was something to the effect that you had not thought it through that far?

A. When I'd not understood the question um at that time uh yes sir I did say that. I went on to say that I thought something bad should happen and I was very tough on violent crime.

Move to strike.
On what basis?
Non-responsive after the first..
Overruled

Q. So you're saying that after your response of you hadn't thought it through that far you had some more clarification after that?

A. After I understood the question uh yes sir.

Q: You were prepared for me to ask that question pretty good weren't you?

A: Uh..

Objection ...part of the question, it's argumentative.
Sustained

Q: And you still to this day think that Rebecca Zahau hung herself?

Q: Even after you saw the evidence of the knife being put into her vagina?

Objection objection lack of evidence lack of foundation
Sustained

Q: You've seen all the evidence that's been put in this case you've been sitting here the whole time right?

Q: And you're still saying it's a suicide right?

A: I believe it is sir.

No further questions your honor.

This is great. Unfortunately, literally only saw 10 minutes of Greer's direct in the whole couple hours of video posted on Chnl 8. Which really sucks, I think. I want to really get the flavor of the whole direct! :tantrum:

Adam going where in the morning? Earlier reports all said Adam was going to main house to get coffee at 6:30am when he "found" Rebecca. I don't know if that traces back to Adam's own statements (the vids of 911 & poly online are incomplete versions). I'm guessing it does. Today is the first I'd heard that he was going to walk to a coffee shop. There is a back door to the guest house that opens onto the street. I'm wondering, why go through the courtyard, then???

Does anyone know if the polygraph (and results) has been allowed into evidence?

Latest update to Rebecca&#8217;s ...

Day #1 of trial week #4 came to end. Adam Schacknai testified that he gave CPR to Rebecca with her hand tied behind her back and while talking on his phone during CPR. Anyone of us who has ever done CPR knows the scenario he is describing is not possible. He was detached and seemed to have no emotion as he testified.

2 detectives, from San Diego Sheriffs Department, who worked the case testified but denied knowing that Rebecca was sexually assaulted with handle of knife, didn&#8217;t know there was no DNA and no fingerprint on areas and items there should have been plenty. But they stuck to their department&#8217;s theme of believing Rebecca committed suicide.

Today was difficult for me as I sat there and had so many emotions going through me including anger, hatred, and disbelief that law enforcement took the easy way out and abandoned their oath to properly serve and investigate a simple homicide that involves 2 people, one is dead and the other is Adam Schacknai. I had to remind myself that there is so much good in humanity and God&#8217;s grace is in all of this despite of what I feel. I see that everyday through the encouraging words, support, prayers, and financial support for the trial and Justice for Rebecca.

Tomorrow the defendant&#8217;s attorneys are calling more witnesses from Sheriffs department and possibly video deposition of Rebecca&#8217;s ex-husband.

Help spread the word!

https://www..com/rydrn-justice-for-rebecca

I'm wondering why his girlfriend had to be on the witness list to be allowed in there.

I am wondering if she should NOW be on Greer&#8217;s list of people to question.

AZlawyer or any reading - :wave:

How does it work in a civil trial- Will Mr. Greer get the chance for a rebuttal after the defendants rest their case? TIA

"Spectators" are not required to be on witness list. Adam re-categorized the girl friend from spectator to witness when he brought her into his testimony by personally questioning her directly from the witness chair! Also, witnesses typically are not allowed to sit in courtroom until AFTER they testify.

In my opinion, it was completely a defense strategy for Adam to point to and ask his alleged GF in open court a question. It was pre-planned.

ETA - BBM- Is she already on the witness list?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BadWiring