WV WV - Grace Smith 35, car found, keys on hood, belongings inside, Gallipolis Ferry, 23 Feb 2022 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's about a 1-hour 20-minute drive from Three Mile Rd Charleston to where Grace lived in Gallipolis Ferry and about another 20 minutes to the area her car was found.

Just want to clarify - she was last seen at her father's house on 3 Mile Rd in Mason County, WV. That's fairly close to the TNT and Gallipolis Ferry, where she lives. 3 Mile Rd in Charleston is in Kanawha County.

IMO, having cold/frozen groceries in her car indicates a couple of things from a logic standpoint:

- It's unlikely Grace was living in her car since she couldn't prepare frozen food
- With cold/frozen food in her car it's unlikely Grace had plans to meet anyone right after leaving the store

However, if there are possible MH issues involved, and we don't know that for certain, then logical decision making may not apply here.

Do we know how far this grocery store is from where her car was found? Was there a receipt in the bag(s) indicating the date/time she purchased these groceries?

Grace Smith - Google My Maps

The name of the grocery store hasn't been named. There are two worth noting that would be on a driving route to McClintic - Piggly Wiggly and Dollar General, both in Point Pleasant. I've marked both on my map as well as added the boundaries of Gallipolis Ferry.

Upthread there's a photo of the car - can a local possibly guess what store the bag is from? It looks like it says "SHOP" in big red letters. Could be a department store, I suppose; Piggly Wiggly uses red a lot, but I can't tell offhand if that's a bag they've used.

Just want to clarify - she was last seen at her father's house on 3 Mile Rd in Mason County, WV. That's fairly close to the TNT and Gallipolis Ferry, where she lives. 3 Mile Rd in Charleston is in Kanawha County.

Grace Smith - Google My Maps

The name of the grocery store hasn't been named. There are two worth noting that would be on a driving route to McClintic - Piggly Wiggly and Dollar General, both in Point Pleasant. I've marked both on my map as well as added the boundaries of Gallipolis Ferry.

Upthread there's a photo of the car - can a local possibly guess what store the bag is from? It looks like it says "SHOP" in big red letters. Could be a department store, I suppose; Piggly Wiggly uses red a lot, but I can't tell offhand if that's a bag they've used.
Upon looking at the photo and comparing it to piggly wiggly/dollar general, I don’t believe it came from either of those.

This is from the FB page of the Mason County Prosecutor’s Office. Apparently there is information that has them looking in the Gallipolis Ferry area even though the vehicle was found in the TNT area. (Read the comments under this post.)

***UPDATED POST***

Family, friends, and members of the Mason County Law-Enforcement Community spent the weekend searching for Grace Allison Smith (Neville). Her last known whereabouts were in the Clendenin Pike area of Gallipolis Ferry. One of the problems faced in attempting to locate this missing person is the inability to enter private land. If you are a private land owner in the area please help by surveying your land for any traces of Grace.

If you have information concerning Grace's whereabouts, you are urged to contact the Mason County Sheriff's Department or you can call the Mason County Prosecutor's anonymous tip line. Please help bring Grace's family closure by assisting in this effort.

Grace Allison Smith, 34, was reported missing last week by her family who is now offering a $5,000 reward for her location. She was reported as wearing a black coat and grey beanie when last seen on Three Mile Road. Her family also reports she currently has grey hair. She is approximately 5’4” in height and weighs 90 pounds.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office is leading the investigation and Sheriff Corey Miller told Ohio Valley Publishing (OVP), Smith’s car was found on Friday, parked near two ponds in the TNT McClintic Wildlife Management Area north of Point Pleasant, W.Va.

View attachment 335385

Reward offered in case of missing woman - Gallipolis Daily Tribune
Oh goodness. Grace appears extremely thin in that photo. I'm worried for her safety.

This is from the FB page of the Mason County Prosecutor’s Office. Apparently there is information that has them looking in the Gallipolis Ferry area even though the vehicle was found in the TNT area. (Read the comments under this post.)

***UPDATED POST***

Family, friends, and members of the Mason County Law-Enforcement Community spent the weekend searching for Grace Allison Smith (Neville). Her last known whereabouts were in the Clendenin Pike area of Gallipolis Ferry. One of the problems faced in attempting to locate this missing person is the inability to enter private land. If you are a private land owner in the area please help by surveying your land for any traces of Grace.

If you have information concerning Grace's whereabouts, you are urged to contact the Mason County Sheriff's Department or you can call the Mason County Prosecutor's anonymous tip line. Please help bring Grace's family closure by assisting in this effort.

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t find this post. Would you be able to share a link please?

Last edited:
One other point I neglected to mention regarding the groceries. If this was a possible 'self-harm' situation, and there is no evidence at this time to support that, then the grocery store trip wouldn't make sense. Someone with the intent of harming themselves would be extremely unlikely to buy frozen groceries at a local store.

If we knew which store Grace was at, and the time, then LE could interview store employees to see if anyone remembers seeing or speaking with her, and whether she was alone at the time. Hopefully LE has already done that.

I made an account in order to post on this case.

I was in this area recently. I have been in that area many times as a tourist over the years.

The TNT area is mostly closed because it is a swamp and contains a large number of old concrete domes, some of which still contain hazardous explosive chemicals. It is not possible to walk on some of the ground, which may at first look solid but is not. There is always ground trash. It is heavily polluted from the TNT that used to be stored there.

I was there on the day of the search and saw no signs of any search. I know it happened because I saw it on the evening news, but I do not believe they have the resources for a thorough search.

The Ohio/WV river is very close and pretty fast moving this time of year.

I have never been in Point Pleasant or Gallapolis when there were not a handful of other tourists walking around, even during the middle of the week, so that is something to consider as well. Strangers would not be unusual anywhere there, at any time.

I made an account in order to post on this case.

I was in this area recently. I have been in that area many times as a tourist over the years.

The TNT area is mostly closed because it is a swamp and contains a large number of old concrete domes, some of which still contain hazardous explosive chemicals. It is not possible to walk on some of the ground, which may at first look solid but is not. There is always ground trash. It is heavily polluted from the TNT that used to be stored there.

I was there on the day of the search and saw no signs of any search. I know it happened because I saw it on the evening news, but I do not believe they have the resources for a thorough search.

The Ohio/WV river is very close and pretty fast moving this time of year.

I have never been in Point Pleasant or Gallapolis when there were not a handful of other tourists walking around, even during the middle of the week, so that is something to consider as well. Strangers would not be unusual anywhere there, at any time.
Welcome to Websleuths, @ConcernedVA. Appreciate your firsthand perspective of the area.

MOO the bag behind the SHOP bag looks like one of those plastic ones with zippers all around that comes with a comforter/bedding set. And JMO it looks like the number "30" on the SHOP bag, and wondering if there's a outlet mall close by that has 30 stores?

upload_2022-3-8_14-5-26.png

You might be right, and maybe even from this store:

Shoe Sensation
428 Silver Bridge Plaza,
Gallipolis Ohio, 45631 United States
If so, it might just indicate that she grabbed a plastic bag to load up some belongings from wherever she was staying. She may have emptied some things from the fridge. Was she thrown out from where she had been staying? Did she have a destination when she left?

I'm wondering if maybe her Father (who she had recently visited) gave her some frozen foods vs. her going to a store and buying them. Did she work? If not, how was she surviving?
Good points, @Psychic Sleuth. Your post crossed with mine as we threw out some possibilities as to what may have led up to GS’s disappearance.

I found this shopping bag on the Shoe Sensation website and even though this one is in black the print on it sure looks like what @Myra123 posted:

upload_2022-3-8_15-29-5.png

Maybe LE should look at cameras there, just in case she had been in the store immediately before going missing, and if she was with someone <wink>.

If so, it might just indicate that she grabbed a plastic bag to load up some belongings from wherever she was staying. She may have emptied some things from the fridge. Was she thrown out from where she had been staying? Did she have a destination when she left?

From the looks of what was in her car, I'd say she likely does not have a permanent residence.
Was the separation from the spouse recent?
Was the rehab appointment due to substance abuse?
Was she homeless and living out of her car?
Was she couch hopping from place to place?

It sounds like the family doesn't know who her friends were or who she might be hanging out with. Too little information to make an educated guess as to what may have happened to her IMHO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
euvin3582
Back