Resolved WV - Harpers Ferry, Appal'n Trl, UnkSexAgeRace, UP75513, male clothes, Saint Mary nklce, Apr'20 - NamUs removed

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just thinking out loud...
Having a miraculous medal, and a crucifix could mean this person got these items during the war. My great uncle was an in-combat priest during a couple of wars. And if I recall correctly, these items were given to Catholic service men and women or anyone who wanted them. Some receiving them as they were shipped home from hospitals.

The 1970's were full of dropping out of sight for Vietnam veterans. Wondering aloud, if he was a Vietnam veteran who did just that.

Someone like this guy...
Ronald Gene Seabolt, 36, Richwood, WV, Navy Veteran missing August 12,1985
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Ronald Gene Seabolt
Ronald Gene Seabolt – The Charley Project

Last edited:
Just thinking out loud...
Having a miraculous medal, and a crucifix could mean this person got these items during the war. My great uncle was an in-combat priest during a couple of wars. And if I recall correctly, these items were given to Catholic service men and women or anyone who wanted them. Some receiving them as they were shipped home from hospitals.

The 1970's were full of dropping out of sight for Vietnam veterans. Wondering aloud, if he was a Vietnam veteran who did just that.

Someone like this guy...
Ronald Gene Seabolt, 36, Richwood, WV, Navy Veteran missing August 12,1985
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Ronald Gene Seabolt
Ronald Gene Seabolt – The Charley Project

Hmmmm...

I know it throws a wrench in the idea of someone from a Catholic order, but...

It's kind of strange that either a small pocket Bible, or some sort of "scripture" was not found in his clothing. Anyone taking the vows, would keep it in their breast pocket, near their heart to meditate on throughout the day. JMHO

I know it throws a wrench in the idea of someone from a Catholic order, but...

It's kind of strange that either a small pocket Bible, or some sort of "scripture" was not found in his clothing. Anyone taking the vows, would keep it in their breast pocket, near their heart to meditate on throughout the day. JMHO

Good point. Though I suppose it's possible that something made of paper wouldn't have survived.

With multiple medals and a crucifix, I wonder if perhaps this were someone who came there to die? Although suicide would be contrary to Catholic beliefs, especially at the time. I did notice that the updated description mentions a Montgomery Ward t-shirt, not a dress shirt, so more consistent with the rest of the clothing found.

I came across a missing woman from the late 70s I believe from NY. She had been a nun in CT but at some point left, married etc. I came to this thread but ruled her out due to the clothing and shoes appearing to be more men’s styles and sizes. Reports also seemed to indicate she’d be found more locally. I now wish I had posted her. Her husband was working in NJ and coming home on weekends. She had just quit her job to make the move to NJ. Anyone know who she is?

I came across a missing woman from the late 70s I believe from NY. She had been a nun in CT but at some point left, married etc. I came to this thread but ruled her out due to the clothing and shoes appearing to be more men’s styles and sizes. Reports also seemed to indicate she’d be found more locally. I now wish I had posted her. Her husband was working in NJ and coming home on weekends. She had just quit her job to make the move to NJ. Anyone know who she is?

Found her. I’m still not seeing the clothing and shoes lining up with her but I could see her having a large crucifix

Agnes C. Shoe – The Charley Project

I grew up in this area and the necklace and cross look like the type that the local "monks" wear. I'm not sure if that's the right term, that's just what we always called them.

The true term maybe: Lay Order Dominicans, Carmelites, Benedictines etc.

As the other poster stated, they can be viewed as "partial monks". Some, as mentioned, may live and work at monasteries a few weeks a year.

Ly Order members take partial vows (usually simple lifestyle and if not married, celibacy). Some live with other lay order members, others live alone or with their families. All tend to spend alot of time volunteering at church functions etc.

As for Lay Order clothing and religious gear, it can range from jeans and T-shirts to old fashioned, but still "civilian" clothing* , to semi monk / nun clothing depending on the group.

* A man I once knew in a Catholic Lay Order preferred clothing style was.... "Mormon missionary" sans Mormon name tag- but with a some what large crucifix visible and rosary beads at his belt.

A woman in a Carmelite Lay Order I knew wore "1950s Sunday clothes", also with a visible crucifix and rosary beads. A man in the same group went "Mennonite" in regards to wearing old fashioned work clothes when not wearing his postal uniform.

Last edited:
I think four "inches" might be an error in the poster, unfortunately.

I took another look at the photo of the crucifix from the news article since people have been wondering about its unusual size. You can count off four large gradation lines in the ruler above it, however the ruler lines are in sets of 5/10, as you would expect if it were in centimeters. It appears to be the same ruler as in the neighboring image of the jacket, where you can see it is actually an L-shaped photomacrographic scale, much like the one pictured here on a forensic supply website. The standard version is numbered up to 5 cm.

The inch version seems to be less common, but here is an example. As you can see, it has the typical 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 inch markings. Since they are the same size as the standard scale, the numbering only goes up to 2 inches.

Thus the pictured crucifix is closer to 4 cm, or roughly between 1.5-1.75 inches, depending on whether you include the little loop at the top in the measurement.

5e94b099acdf4.image.png

Very sharp thinking.

4774DMWA - David Robert Sampson

Original

Mouse over to enlarge.

Name: David Robert Sampson
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: March 1, 1977
Location Last Seen: Seattle, King County, Washington

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 17, 1955
Race: White
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Small moles on upper lip and chin.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Dark blue or green ski jacket, blue jeans and hiking boots.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Packboard with green pack and light blue sleeping bag, extensive survival gear, Bible and religious materials. He did not have any money or identification on him.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Sampson left the University of Washington abruptly in 1977 with evidence of personality change associated with religious conversion. He has not had contact with family since.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: King County Sheriff's Office
Agency Contact Person: Detective Thomas Jensen
Agency Phone Number: (206) 205-3432
Agency E-Mail: thomas.jensen@kingcounty.gov
Agency Case Number: 84-195323

NCIC Case Number: Unknown
NamUs Case Number: 14272

Information Source(s)
NamUs
WASPC
4774DMWA - David Robert Sampson

I think four "inches" might be an error in the poster, unfortunately.

I took another look at the photo of the crucifix from the news article since people have been wondering about its unusual size. You can count off four large gradation lines in the ruler above it, however the ruler lines are in sets of 5/10, as you would expect if it were in centimeters. It appears to be the same ruler as in the neighboring image of the jacket, where you can see it is actually an L-shaped photomacrographic scale, much like the one pictured here on a forensic supply website. The standard version is numbered up to 5 cm.

The inch version seems to be less common, but here is an example. As you can see, it has the typical 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 inch markings. Since they are the same size as the standard scale, the numbering only goes up to 2 inches.

Thus the pictured crucifix is closer to 4 cm, or roughly between 1.5-1.75 inches, depending on whether you include the little loop at the top in the measurement.

5e94b099acdf4.image.png

It would be pretty unusual for a US law enforcement department to be using centimeters.

If the scale is marked in tenths of an inch, the crucifix would be around 4" tall, as they said.

It would be pretty unusual for a US law enforcement department to be using centimeters.

If the scale is marked in tenths of an inch, the crucifix would be around 4" tall, as they said.

For me the scale is definitely displaying centimeters. This the centimeter version compared to the inch version.
View attachment 309325
5e94b099acdf4.image.png

View attachment 309324

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member