WV WV - James Mathis, 37, Huntington, 13 Dec 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Very strange that he just up and left that late without at least leaving a note for his wife.

I think it is very strange. No one leaves the house these days without a phone- wallet, maybe. But, phone?

To me, he would have known his wife would be trying to reach him (once she awoke and found him gone). Leaving the phone is not a good sign.

Add this to the mysterious suicide of a seemingly happy man with a seemingly perfect life, from the same small town, within the same week.

I'm baffled by it all.

His wife's sister posted this flyer:

d73bf089-dd4a-4c84-84d8-a0d05eaf4b21_zpsdcdcf397.jpg

There's also a FB missing page, but it's a closed group:

Bring Darren Home

James 'Darren' Mathis' Family Tortured By His Unexplained Disappearance

"The police came and said they had found his car and wanted to know if he was home," she said. "I told them I had woke up and he wasn't here."

The location of the vehicle – parked on a nearby bridge that spans the Ohio River – is ominous. There was no sign of the missing man in or around the vehicle and the keys were missing. It is no far stretch for outsiders to surmise Darren Mathis' had taken his own life. However, to his family, that theory is impossible to comprehend.

"The police look at this very logically," Lisa Mathis said. "They see where the car is and think he harmed himself. I am reasonable and realistic enough to know that appears to be what happened, but they don't know him. It's impossible. He's absolutely incapable of that."

According to his wife, he was "always happy", a suicide would be "impossible", he would be "absolutely incapable" of it.

I don't know James personally, his wife's words just stood out to me. Most times it's the people that seem the happiest on the outside that are the saddest, most hopeless on the inside. One day they walk out and take their own lives and that's exactly what their family members etc. used to say about them. Mental illness often goes unnoticed, especially with men.

A body was found earlier today in Cabell County, approx. 15 - 20 miles from where James Darren Mathis's car was found and approx. the same miles from where Diane Bess was last seen. So far, they haven't released whether the body is male or female. It just showed up as a breaking news alert.

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/eyewitness/140117_22511.shtml

Cabell County deputies said the body was found along Route 10 near Salt Rock Friday afternoon. Sheriff Tom McComas said his department is working with the Huntington Police Department to determine if the body is that of a person reported missing.

The body found in Cabell County was Diane Bess who had been missing for three weeks. She disappeared on Christmas Eve. She was 21. Her death is being investigated as a homicide.

Why is there never any new news stories about james?there's not even any info on new searches. Its so sad when it seems like some are just forgotten...

It has been more than a year now, and it definitely has the appearance of suicide, but has anyone heard anything recent? Does anyone know how the family is doing?
I wonder all the time what must have been going on for him to do this, if he did. Seems from everyone said that he was a very happy guy.
Though, it does appear that he was aging rapidly... constant worry maybe? Anxiety over something?
Sad case all around.

It has been more than a year now, and it definitely has the appearance of suicide, but has anyone heard anything recent?

I occasionally do a search for his name to try and find any new information. I have not found anything recent. :( I agree that this was likely a suicide and hope his family someday finds some answers and some peace.

Is there still nothing new going on with this case??? I really thought police would have found him by now

Is there still nothing new going on with this case??? I really thought police would have found him by now

I am Lisa, Darren's wife. Widow, perhaps. I'm still not sure. No news to report. Unfortunately, over three years later, I don't know any detail more than I did the night Darren disappeared. The HPD has not been involved since the beginning. To my knowledge, no searches were conducted from them since the night this nightmare began. We have conducted our own searches. We bought a boat and we searched diligently. We walked the woods in the ice and snow. We went to the river every day to try to find something. We had a friend that had sonar on his boat and he helped us search too. We have never found anything. Not knowing is torture. I don't know a vocabulary that would make it possible to explain in words how devastating this has been to me and our families. Darren was the most amazing man. The absolute love of my life. We had 9 happy years together and I never saw this coming. There's no way to understand how or why this has happened. I just came across this thread today and it brought me comfort to know people were talking about him and this situation. That people were concerned for him and us. Thank you for that. I truly appreciate that people care.

I remember this case well. So sorry he still hasn't been found and there are no answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinkeydave
Back