WV WV - Leah Hickman, 21, Huntington, 14 Dec 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was lieing in bed last night trying to get this crawl space figured out. If is was under the porch, it would not be used to access pipes and insulation. Maybe it was just an extra unfinished space. About the dog, LE used a bood hound not a cadaver dog. I have heard that they only track fresh scent not bodies. I don't think they brought a cadaver dog into the building. IMO, I would thing they it should have found her too. The LE didn't see her in the crawl space at first because she was far back in the crawl space and was not easily seen from where they looked in. They did not get in there and crawl through. I feel that they should have on he first day. I would have been checking every square inch of that place. I heard that the LE was bringing in some other investigators and wanted to get a fresh opinion on the case. That is when they toured the building again. When they went into the laundry room they noticed a stong odor and followed it to her. I was talking to my husband about the bricks that where holding down the pastic around her. He said that the killer probably used them to keep the plastice inplace and keep animals and rodants away.

(Above are things that I have heard from others her in Huntington.)

In my experience, a crawl space next to a regular basement was not so much to access pipes and wiring. It was just the space between the porch floor above and the ground below. It might have been excavated some when porch foundation was constructed, so the 'floor' level of the crawl space could be a little lower than the surrounding yard, but not as deep as the basement. It is the 'space under the porch,' not especially built for function.

The alternative crawl space configuration (that I have seen) is when the crawl space replaces the basement. In that instance, it IS to access plumbing and such. It is under the whole house; there is no full-height basement.

I would say the apartment had the first configuration; it seems to match the diagram shown on WSAZ.

Does anyone know the history of building ownership? I've read (on another board?) that the building changed hands not too long ago. Does anybody know?

I went to the memorial service and funeral for Leah yesterday. It was so emotional and just gut-wrenching. We may never fully understand the reasons why this happened but I pray that there is justice for Leah, such a beautiful person inside and out. The following poem was handed out at her service and I thought I'd share:

God gives us each a gift of life
To cherish from our birth.
He gives us friends and those we love
To share our days on Earth.

He watches us with loving care
And takes us by the hand,
He blesses us with countless joys
And guides the lives we've planned.

Then, when our work on Earth is done,
He calls us to his side,
To live with him in happiness
Where peace and love abide.

If you or anyone you know is interested (and I think this was mentioned on WSAZ and in the Herald Dispatch), her family has established a scholarship at Marshall University in journalism in her name that can be donated to:

Leah Hickman Memorial Scholarship in Journalism
The Marshall University Foundation, Inc.
One John Marshall Drive
Huntington, WV 25755

I have found out a few more things over the past few days. I will post later as I have to run right now.

thanks margaret! please post when you get a chance. i keep praying we have some answers soon, everytime i get a notification for this thread ;-(

Saw a very good friend of mine last night who's lived in Huntington most of her life. Asked her if she could add anything for us about this case...she didn't know Leah. All she could add was locations. Apparently there's a retirement home behind the apartments - that would mean lots of visitors in the area. Also, don't forget about drugs. Very common there, just like anywhere else. Unless someone has a steady, reliable dealer they have known a long time, very iffy. I think they need to look into that...depending on the toxicology reports.

I work at that retirement home.:rolleyes: They told us if we go outside to smoke to have a smoking buddy, and to never go out without letting a co-worker know we are going. Several of the administration have even said they won't go out to their cars after dark unless they buddy up.

Thanks for the info on the crawl space. That makes sense. I can't wait to here some new info from margaret.

I work at that retirement home.:rolleyes: They told us if we go outside to smoke to have a smoking buddy, and to never go out without letting a co-worker know we are going. Several of the administration have even said they won't go out to their cars after dark unless they buddy up.

TwistedLPN, you say the area is very dangerous? Can you explain that further?

What this procedure in place before the murder or since it happened? Those are smart things to do in any case.

Margaret, I am looking forward to your update.

When do classes resume in Huntington? Is it possible that some information may be further developed when students return?

Well, I just learned a few things, nothing too major

-Jessica and new BF have been extensively interviewed by LE - they were asked to come to the police station, were separated, and were aggresively interviewed for several hours (which I think is great because this is what LE should be doing). This happened both before and after Leah's body was found. LE has been tracking down and interviewing every tenant that was in that building for quite a few years back. Also checking with any delivery companies, anybody that would have been bringing stuff to that apartment building, they're casting a wide net.

-When Jessica's ex-BF returned from Iraq, he didn't contact her for about a month after he had been back in the US and even in Huntington. Seemed odd to everyone considering that this was his GF he had lived with for 2 years. He apparently drank (drinks) alcohol quite a bit. He had even gone to Leah and Jessica's apartment when they weren't home (and after he moved out) and took all of the alcohol they had in their apartment. As far as I know the locks had not been changed because it was up to Jessica and Leah to pay the cost of replacing them and they did not have the money. So ex-BF still had working keys to the building and apartment according to Jessica.

-Jessica contacted ex-BF around Sunday or early Monday after Leah had disappered. She called to see if he had seen her, etc. He made some very odd statements to her, wanting to know the status of their relationship. He said something to her about that he couldn't have been involved if Leah was missing because he was drinking with friends. Very strange considering this was only a couple of days after she had been missing and the timeline had not been reported in the media at all. How did he know he was with his friends within the time frame that Leah disappeared? He didn't offer to help with the search effort and basically ended it with 'give me a call when you find your sister.' Not 'i hope you find your sister', nothing like that. A little opinionated on my part about that but you can take it how you like it. May be totally innocent. His alibi with LE has been that he was partying with his friends that Friday. Don't know anything about the friends - corroborate his alibi??

-I think about everything and it had to have been someone that had motive, access, and knowledge. And all these things lead around to keep me thinking of one person in my mind.

My intent is not to implicate the ex-BF as the most likely suspect. He could have absolutely nothing to do with it. These are just all things that don't set will with our circle of friends and keep you thinking.

Hi Twisted, Do you guys get a lot of family visitors there? I know this crime doesn't seem to be random, but I figured we should look into anything we could. Can you see the apartments from your work (can you see the area where tenets would walk in/out)? Could anyone have possibly been watching Leah from there? Weird to say, but any employees make a habit of smoking/watching that way?

WOW, margaret, thanks for the inside scoop. I think this is very telling if it's the truth:

"He said something to her about that he couldn't have been involved if Leah was missing because he was drinking with friends. Very strange considering this was only a couple of days after she had been missing and the timeline had not been reported in the media at all."

It really sounds likes the investigators are doing their job from what you wrote.

WOW, margaret, thanks for the inside scoop. I think this is very telling if it's the truth:

"He said something to her about that he couldn't have been involved if Leah was missing because he was drinking with friends. Very strange considering this was only a couple of days after she had been missing and the timeline had not been reported in the media at all."

It really sounds likes the investigators are doing their job from what you wrote.

I agree Taxi.

Thank you Margaret!

Thanks from me, too, margaret! Looks like there may be some direction in this case, after all.

I think the ex-BF's statement was hinky, too, and not just that he seemed to already know the time frame. I mean, if someone called and asked me if I had seen her sister, I don't think my reaction would be to come up with an alibi.

I am a bit impatient at times, and this is one of them. There have been many, many days to interview and re-interview and locate all those caught in that wide net cast by LE. They know COD, TOD maybe even DNA by now. So WHAT'S UP??????

Thanks Margarete this info is soooo appreciated!!!

I am going to play devils advocate here and cross examine if I may. LOL
Ex BF said he was with friends when she disappeared only a couple of days after her disappearance. Parents filed a missing person report on Sunday. I found out Sunday night on the computer. So possibly he found out on Sunday, too. Also, as I mentioned before, I had a fiance' in the gulf war. When he returned he also did not contact me. I finally ran him down about three weeks after he had been home. He acted very strangely and got involved in a great deal of alcohol himself. He was later diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. Sounds like a very similar situation here. Also, this info came from Jessica, I assume. (Although I do find it very suspicious and would check him out extensively as a suspect. I just am trying to be a real sleuth her and not miss anything.)

I also find it interesting that LE have extensively interviewed Jessica and BF. Margarete would definitely have more information. I am sure you have spoken with her and know her personality way more than I. You would have a better understanding of the situation. Just as an outsider, (with no info) my sleuthing would lead me to expect Ex-BF or Jessica and new BF.

I also heard today that she was found fully dressed. If this is true, I would think that she was not sexually assaulted. I would not think that the average sex offender/murder would take the time to redress her (but who knows). This leads me even more to someone that knew her and premed.

Ok, cross examine my thoughts and let me know what you think. Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something.

Fully dressed. You are the first to report that.

Remember that Jessica(supposedly)clocked in and out of work. If true, LE knows where SHE was, atleast, during part of the critical hours. Her present BF...what do we know about him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper