Recovered/Located WV - Mary Cathleen Haley-Scott, 32, Raleigh County, 16 Dec 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're right to ask questions, and the mysterious FB group on the subject has banned everyone who has asked very legitimate questions and even encouraged people in the group to attack reporters and news stations who reported on Mary's warrants.

Almost everyone involved in this case in media reports only knowns Mary via online contact.

Family members have been almost silent only saying that Mary "had problems" but they are worried about not hearing from her. Her sister had not spoken to her in years. The only people talking to the media are random online people who have never met Mary in real life, only via online contact.

The first ex-wife of the state trooper stated he was never abusive or violent but that Mary had stolen money from him. I don't know if the grand larceny warrant is because she's charged with stealing from the husband or if it involves the Kia car she was reportedly last driving. (Apparently the Kia was financed in some one else's name (not her husband, not hers.) but I don't know if a missing financed car would be reported as larceny or grand theft auto since she did have permission to drive it.) There is no information on why the grand larceny warrant was issued, only that it is active and issued around Dec. 7 or so.

It's all really really strange.
So her name is not on car loan? Was the other party a co-signer (if he is a co-signer, it would not be theft) or was he purchasing/purchased the car and allowed her to use it? Sorry...more questions! MOO-What a confusing case.

I'm honestly super confused after reading those articles about the facebook messages.

Mary apparently sent messages saying her husband was after her and those photos with dark eyes to some women who were part of a group discussing Watts family murder.

There were screen shots posted where someone posing as her husband has claimed to have killed her and put her in retreat lake (in Virginia). These message were supposedly sent to a boyfriend? No one ever clarifies who received this dramatic "murder confession" message other than they are "anonymous" but were shared with a FB group admin (and they have now been posted and mentioned in media stories) The conversation makes it clear this is supposed to be "jealous husband arguing with new boyfriend" but no one knows who was sent these murder confession text messages.

So her name is not on car loan? Was the other party a co-signer (if he is a co-signer, it would not be theft) or was he purchasing/purchased the car and allowed her to use it? Sorry...more questions! MOO-What a confusing case.

The car was financed under someone else's name entirely, Steve and Shelia Vaught said they financed the Kia in the Fox News story. She did not co-sign with him. Shelia was worried about where the car was at. Apparently Mary had lived with the Vaughts in Virginia for about a month? She told them she was going to Florida for some business meetings to try and get some work doing social media for some bars. Oddly they added she planned to sleep in the car. They seem to be the last people who had in real life contact with Mary, everything after that is FB messages to people she only knew via social media groups

Mary apparently sent messages saying her husband was after her and those photos with dark eyes to some women who were part of a group discussing Watts family murder.

There were screen shots posted where someone posing as her husband has claimed to have killed her and put her in retreat lake (in Virginia). These message were supposedly sent to a boyfriend? No one ever clarifies who received this dramatic "murder confession" message other than they are "anonymous" but were shared with a FB group admin (and they have now been posted and mentioned in media stories) The conversation makes it clear this is supposed to be "jealous husband arguing with new boyfriend" but no one knows who was sent these murder confession text messages.

The car was financed under someone else's name entirely, Steve and Shelia Vaught said they financed the Kia in the Fox News story. She did not co-sign with him. Shelia was worried about where the car was at. Apparently Mary had lived with the Vaughts in Virginia for about a month? She told them she was going to Florida for some business meetings to try and get some work doing social media for some bars. Oddly they added she planned to sleep in the car. They seem to be the last people who had in real life contact with Mary, everything after that is FB messages to people she only knew via social media groups

Thanks, I was able to follow the story as far as who was getting messages, what was being said, and all that. I just meant that the entire thing has me confuzzled to the point I don't feel as if I can draw any sort of conclusions in any sort of direction.

Thanks, I was able to follow the story as far as who was getting messages, what was being said, and all that. I just meant that the entire thing has me confuzzled to the point I don't feel as if I can draw any sort of conclusions in any sort of direction.

Me either. I mean it would be too stupid to kill your estranged spouse then message all her pals pretty much stating exactly that and being obvious who you are.
Yet, it would be pretty smart to do a runner and send those messages to your own 'friends'.

Maybe it's just me, but my very first thought when seeing the selfie with Mary's black eyes, is that is make-up under her eyes... I see no swelling or any other indication of injury. This is bizarre and convoluted, and I hope Mary is located soon ( and unharmed!)
I had the same initial impression. Blackened eyes are usually more asymmetric, these are almost perfectly symmetrical and exactly the same color.

This looks like some other sort of injury to me or make-up.

Of course we have no idea how old they might be which may have evened them out a bit.

Me either. I mean it would be too stupid to kill your estranged spouse then message all her pals pretty much stating exactly that and being obvious who you are.
Yet, it would be pretty smart to do a runner and send those messages to your own 'friends'.

I agree, but at the same time I don't feel like I have enough information to completely conclude that. It would make sense to send those messages to your male friends too as they would possibly have a more visceral reaction to potential abuse. I don't want to even begin to make an accusation like that though as I'm afraid I'll turn around and have made it about a person who ends up being murdered.

I've just re-read the articles.

I think she did a runner. That doesn't mean the bruises aren't real. Her ex seems awful sure of himself. Although he is a civilian now, he still works in LE. Wonder if he was somewhere 100% verifiable during the time those messages were sent and knows he has nothing to do with this or the alleged assault?

It would be reasonable to think all the friends she was talking to online would recognize her texting style of writing, or if it seemed off somehow, in those bizarre messages.

Her mother's statements about Mary having had "problems" is concerning.

MOO, of course

So the car belonged to the Vaughts?
Did she borrow it from them or did they buy it for her? I can’t imagine loaning a car to someone I only knew for a month to take it several states away?
Old friends of Mary or new internet friends?

I've just re-read the articles.

I think she did a runner. That doesn't mean the bruises aren't real. Her ex seems awful sure of himself. Although he is a civilian now, he still works in LE. Wonder if he was somewhere 100% verifiable during the time those messages were sent and knows he has nothing to do with this or the alleged assault?

It would be reasonable to think all the friends she was talking to online would recognize her texting style of writing, or if it seemed off somehow, in those bizarre messages.

Her mother's statements about Mary having had "problems" is concerning.

MOO, of course

What do you mean the ex seems sure of himself? I haven’t seen him comment or say anything about this publicly. All I’ve seen is the sheriffs dept commenting he was fully cooperating and polite regarding the charge against him filed by Mary. Oh, the sheriff self did say he stated he had not seen Mary in several months.

The fact that so very little is being said by her family or ppl who know her IRL, but so much is being said by out of state people only she recently contacted online is shady.

MOO but I think she did a runner too and is using the hungry true crime gossip ladies as pawns to stir drama. Several of the women talking to the media claim they only know her via recent FB messages and they all come from FB groups about the Watts murders or other notable DV murder victims

I am sure LE is tracking this person's ISP or phone, wherever that message came from. This makes me so angry. Who writes something like this on a missing person's messenger? They obviously are having fun playing a cat and mouse game- catch me if you can, type of thing.

No doubt they will have a load of evidence from all of those messages. It sure sounded like a drunk jealous lover but could easily be the missing trying to throw a curve ball, especially if she doesn't want to go to jail on larceny. I hope she is found safe and this ends peacefully.

I’m not sure how much knowledge y’all have of WV but if you’ve ever seen “Wrong Turn” then you know that there are places in WV that are like that...like for real, 100! Not all parts are like that but there areas of WV that if someone wants you gone, you will be gone forever.
Additionally, anything regarding the judicial system in WV is NOT like any in US. And I’m not joking. Depending on who you are & who you know/who your family is, you can get away with murder. I wish that I was stretching the truth about all of that but unfortunately from personal experience I know this to be true.
I’m not saying anything about anyone, I’m just saying that WV is not like any other state in the US.

I’m not sure how much knowledge y’all have of WV but if you’ve ever seen “Wrong Turn” then you know that there are places in WV that are like that...like for real, 100! Not all parts are like that but there areas of WV that if someone wants you gone, you will be gone forever.
Additionally, anything regarding the judicial system in WV is NOT like any in US. And I’m not joking. Depending on who you are & who you know/who your family is, you can get away with murder. I wish that I was stretching the truth about all of that but unfortunately from personal experience I know this to be true.
I’m not saying anything about anyone, I’m just saying that WV is not like any other state in the US.
Well she lived in Virginia, she filed DV charges against her estranged husband in Virginia, a warrant for larceny was issued against her in Virginia and the crazy text messages were about her being in a lake in Virginia.

The only connection to WV is her estranged husband was a state trooper in that state and it was reported her phone pinged in Beckley, WV but I have no idea if that’s verified or just internet lore.

I’ve lived in several states, including two different cities in WV, and didn’t find it any different than most states with large rural areas. The only state I ever lived in that had a dramatically different legal system was Louisiana, since their system was based on Napoleonic Code, instead of English Common Law like the other 49 states.

Well she lived in Virginia, she filed DV charges against her estranged husband in Virginia, a warrant for larceny was issued against her in Virginia and the crazy text messages were about her being in a lake in Virginia.

The only connection to WV is her estranged husband was a state trooper in that state and it was reported her phone pinged in Beckley, WV but I have no idea if that’s verified or just internet lore.

I’ve lived in several states, including two different cities in WV, and didn’t find it any different than most states with large rural areas. The only state I ever lived in that had a dramatically different legal system was Louisiana, since their system was based on Napoleonic Code, instead of English Common Law like the other 49 states.
Were you raised here in WV as well?

I think the picture with the black eyes is genuine. It also looks like her nose is battered/broken. Especially compared to the older pictures.

MOO
Okay, I made an account to specifically post this. My qualifications are that I have been an EMT for 12 years and have two family members that do amateur MMA. I came across this story and looked at the black eye pictures I need to voice my objection from experience:
These black eyes, in no way to me, look genuine. One, in the height of punching any slight movement on the part of the intended victim or the individual throwing the punch can greatly change the impact spot. To be given two black eyes without other visible damage (in the same stage of healing) is almost unheard of. Imagine two successful punches to the eyes (opposite sides, so take in to consideration that two different angles of punch would be needed) without the person moving and getting hit and bruised in other areas of the face that easily split or bruise.
Second, with black eyes there is substantial amount of swelling more often than not. Neither eye looks swollen.
But let's assume that he connected two shots with the eyes and swelling has been minimal/non-existent (a stretch, but I will entertain it).
Neither under eye lid is discolored. Black eyes (non fictional make up ones) extend to the eye lid as well. Make up ones usually don't because of the movement of the eyelids and the smearing/make up in eye possibilities.
But the most important thing to notice is that neither eye is even remotely red nor any signs of broken capillaries. The vessels in our eyes are easily broken/irritated and take time to heal. I have NEVER seen a black eye from punch or true accident that did not also effect the whites of the eyes.
Now, sure, this could be a one in a million situation where all of these factors combined and he could have done something to her and then directly implicated himself as much as possible online, but in my experience the damage is lacking any of the normal signs except the namesake symptom.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llamb79
Back