GUILTY WV - Riley Crossman, 15, Martinsburg, Morgan County, 7 May 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
McCauley gets life without parole in Riley Crossman's death
Judge imposes maximum sentences in Riley Crossman's death following mother's plea...

BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. — Following an impassioned plea from Riley Crossman's mother, Andy J. McCauley Jr. was sentenced Thursday to the maximum penalty of life in prison without the possibility of parole in the 2019 death of the 15-year-old Berkeley Springs High School freshman, according to Morgan County Prosecuting Attorney Dan James.

Circuit Judge Debra McLaughlin also sentenced McCauley to consecutive terms of 15 years to life on the charge of death of a child by custodian by child abuse and one to five years for concealment of a deceased human body, James said.

McCauley was found guilty following a seven-day jury trial. The jury had recommended life without parole.

129c63a9092deae301d5a4984cf859e0.jpg

Riley Crossman, 15, was found dead along the side of a Berkeley County, W.Va., road in May 2019.
SUBMITTED PHOTO
James said he was satisfied with the sentence from a legal standpoint.

"West Virginia doesn't have a death penalty," he said. "If there was ever a case to bring it back, this would be a good one for it."

Although the sentence doesn't allow for parole, McLaughlin ordered McCauley to register as a child abuser, placed him on 50 years of supervised probation and imposed a $5,000 fine, James said.

Commenting on the judge's decision to run the sentences consecutively instead of concurrently, James noted that concurrent sentences are usually imposed when there is some mitigating factor that might make some form of mercy appropriate.

"There's no reason for it in this case," he said.

Crossman's mother, Chantel Oakley, had asked the judge to impose the maximum possible penalty, saying she would never see her daughter graduate from high school, get married or hold a child of her own, according to James.

cfbf4b6a51272555b1d7eca991e84afc.jpg

Riley Crossman

Oakley also noted that McCauley remained silent and watched while she was in agony during the nine days that she was searching for her daughter when he knew exactly what happened to her, said Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Courtney Moore, who worked with James on the case.

Crossman’s decomposed body was found May 16, 2019, in the 5500 block of Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County. It is believed she was killed between May 7 and May 8 in 2019.

In closing arguments at the trial, James referenced a text message Crossman sent to her boyfriend the night of May 7, 2019.

“This is a voice from beyond the grave,” he said. “This is all you need: 'Andy’s in my room. I’m scared.’”

When it was noticed that Crossman was missing, her mom began to panic, especially since her daughter was continually texting her.

[iframe src="[URL="https://6a3fa67f48f142fd99fcc2046cb934b3.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html?n=0"]SafeFrame Container[/URL]" name="1-0-38;25186;

BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.Va. — Following an impassioned plea from Riley Crossman's mother, Andy J. McCauley Jr. was sentenced Thursday to the maximum penalty of life in prison without the possibility of parole in the 2019 death of the 15-year-old Berkeley Springs High School freshman, according to Morgan County Prosecuting Attorney Dan James.

Circuit Judge Debra McLaughlin also sentenced McCauley to consecutive terms of 15 years to life on the charge of death of a child by custodian by child abuse and one to five years for concealment of a deceased human body, James said.

McCauley was found guilty following a seven-day jury trial. The jury had recommended life without parole.

Riley Crossman, 15, was found dead along the side of a Berkeley County, W.Va., road in May 2019.
SUBMITTED PHOTO

"West Virginia doesn't have a death penalty," he said. "If there was ever a case to bring it back, this would be a good one for it."

Although the sentence doesn't allow for parole, McLaughlin ordered McCauley to register as a child abuser, placed him on 50 years of supervised probation and imposed a $5,000 fine, James said.

Commenting on the judge's decision to run the sentences consecutively instead of concurrently, James noted that concurrent sentences are usually imposed when there is some mitigating factor that might make some form of mercy appropriate.

Crossman's mother, Chantel Oakley, had asked the judge to impose the maximum possible penalty, saying she would never see her daughter graduate from high school, get married or hold a child of her own, according to James.

Riley Crossman

Oakley also noted that McCauley remained silent and watched while she was in agony during the nine days that she was searching for her daughter when he knew exactly what happened to her, said Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Courtney Moore, who worked with James on the case.

Crossman’s decomposed body was found May 16, 2019, in the 5500 block of Tuscarora Pike in Berkeley County. It is believed she was killed between May 7 and May 8 in 2019.

In closing arguments at the trial, James referenced a text message Crossman sent to her boyfriend the night of May 7, 2019.

“This is a voice from beyond the grave,” he said. “This is all you need: 'Andy’s in my room. I’m scared.’”

When it was noticed that Crossman was missing, her mom began to panic, especially since her daughter was continually texting her.

[iframe src="SafeFrame Container" name="1-0-38;25186;

Attachments

• upload_2021-11-4_20-59-47.gif
    upload_2021-11-4_20-59-47.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 2

SUBMITTED PHOTO

Riley Crossman

Thank you for this article. It also states that there are no other persons of interest in this case; he acted alone.

SUBMITTED PHOTO

Riley Crossman

Can I ask why the sheriffs did not find any Male DNA on any items or her body? Is it plausible he didn’t kill her just dumped her body? Supposedly they found another persons DNA and refused to test it. Can someone explain this?

Can I ask why the sheriffs did not find any Male DNA on any items or her body? Is it plausible he didn’t kill her just dumped her body? Supposedly they found another persons DNA and refused to test it. Can someone explain this?
Everyone’s been asking the same here. Criminal stupidity, ineptitude or protection of the magistrate grandmother.

A man from MD was found dead on her property and it was a total news blackout immediately. It’s been months.

I'm glad there was finally justice served here. I was worried with some 'family connections' that it might not happen as it should.

AM, Jr. murdered and disposed of Riley's body like garbage. I'm glad he'll never be a free man in society again.

JMO

I'm glad there was finally justice served here. I was worried with some 'family connections' that it might not happen as it should.

AM, Jr. murdered and disposed of Riley's body like garbage. I'm glad he'll never be a free man in society again.

JMO
Half served justice. Many stones left unturned. Family connections is exactly what happened here, AM isn’t from here. CO and her magistrate mother are.

This story is on ID channel right now, Murder in the Heartland.
This case was also on a series called Killings Caught On Camera.
Streaming free on Freevee. Season 1 episode 3.

The show mainly highlighted the numerous surveillance footage collected of Andy driving the green truck to the disposal site.
This show also left a lot out as it was only 30 min. coverage.
I felt the show tried to emphasize that Riley’s mother having 3 jobs and only home to sleep in short time and therefore innocent of knowing anything about what happened.

The show also had police body cameras of questioning both adults when they arrived at the home and a look at the room.
They did leave out everything about the magistrate grandmother and the drug dealer grandfather.
I believe the show may have covered certain things for legal reasons including talking about CO’s number of jobs.
JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncorliss52
Back