WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Shadow205-finally found the forum you've been talking about! Someone on there has an intriguing idea, going a direction I don't think anyone has ever looked....

Both George and Jennie were immigrants from Italy. I wonder if anyone has tried to track down their families in Europe to see if they have any information that has not yet come to light?

IF the kids were taken out of country, to Europe, how would it have been done? A boat out of NYC?

(Simply speculation, don't everyone start beating on me).

Hey, I have some of that...

Betty D. b: March 4, 1940 in Fayetteville
Jenny Irene b: September 19, 1937 in Fayetteville
Louis A. b: December 20, 1935 in Fayetteville
Marthalu b: January 22, 1933 in Smithers
Maurice A. b: July 8, 1931 in Smithers

These are the missing kids, of course, and I didn't get all the middle names, but I will add that to my list.

PS I'm not going to ask any "incriminating" questions of the police. I just wanted to see how far back the records go and what the policy is on looking at files. I seriously don't think the current police force in town would feel threatened by asking about this case, but I do intend to leave that one to Stacy.

Stacy Horn said:
The name of the mafia crime family that would have had control over West Virginia in 1945 was LaRocca. They were based in Pittsburgh.

Does that name ring a bell for anyone?
That doesn't ring any bells, but I live in Pittsburgh and can do a little research here to see what I can find out about them, if you'd like me to.

Great stuff! Thank you!! What I need is someone to say something like, "Oh yeah. Their cousins lived across the street and they ..." If in fact, they had any kind of presence in the town or any of the local businesses.

I reached the West Virginia State Police Cold Case Squad and they agreed to look for the case files and talk to me. So progress!

Great news about the State Police. From what I have read, the mob ventured into WV during prohibition. Brewing and running "shine" was BIG business in WV up until the mid-to late-'60s. (This I know for fact...;) )

shadowangel said:
Great news about the State Police. From what I have read, the mob ventured into WV during prohibition. Brewing and running "shine" was BIG business in WV up until the mid-to late-'60s. (This I know for fact...;) )
The LaRocca family is well known in Pittsburgh. Supposedly their mob days are behind them.;)

I had hoped to go back to the Fayette County Courthouse, but a turn of events has me tied to work all week. YucK!!

Anyway, I've had some thoughts.... what about getting the pictures of the 5 kids and the story on the DoeNetwork? Although I don't have a good copy of the picture of the billboard, it looked as though the family had good, recent school pictures of the kids in 1945. I would think the family would have these photos. It's possible if the kids were taken to be raised elsewhere by someone else, they may recognize their own story or photo. Just a thought.... what do you folks think?

Also, any of you read about Georgia Tann who ran the Tennesse Children's Home Society in Memphis? She ran an operation of stealing babies and selling them into wealthy homes in NYC and LA in the 1930's through the 1940's. Most of her babies were taken while in the hospital after birth - moms were told the babies died, asked to sign papers to release the body for burial (which were actually relinquishing rights to thier babies) and then "adopted." The Sodders were a little too old for her operation, I think, but there is a case of a 4-yr possibly abducted for her. Maybe the younger girls? I know, I know, it's really a looooooooong shot, but maybe she had an "order" for some Italian kids??? Don't flame me too much on that thought.

One last thing, while looking around on the Doenetwork of unexplained disappearances, I came across a kid that came up missing in very similar circumstances as the Sodders. Ricky Jean Bryant (female) was 4 years old in 1949 in Wisconsin (I think), her house caught on fire on December 19, 1949 and she disappeared from the front yard while everyone was busy trying to fight the fire. her case number on the Doenetwork is 1756DFWI.

LButler said:
Also, any of you read about Georgia Tann who ran the Tennesse Children's Home Society in Memphis? She ran an operation of stealing babies and selling them into wealthy homes in NYC and LA in the 1930's through the 1940's. Most of her babies were taken while in the hospital after birth - moms were told the babies died, asked to sign papers to release the body for burial (which were actually relinquishing rights to thier babies) and then "adopted." The Sodders were a little too old for her operation, I think, but there is a case of a 4-yr possibly abducted for her. Maybe the younger girls? I know, I know, it's really a looooooooong shot, but maybe she had an "order" for some Italian kids??? Don't flame me too much on that thought.
I knew you'd agree with me eventually.;) ;) ;)

Doe Network is a great idea.

Yes, I have...And that wasn't the only operation going. It just seems to humble little me the best answer to the puzzle.

shadowangel said:
Yes, I have...And that wasn't the only operation going. It just seems to humble little me the best answer to the puzzle.
Although adoption might be a possible answer to this puzzle, I think it is a long shot. Of the missing children, the youngest was 5 and the oldest was 14. Even if they had been adopted, they would still remember who they really were. At some point it seems at least one of them would have come forward. Even if they had been told that their parents died in the house fire, I still believe they would have eventually contacted other members of their family.:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024