WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
lablover has posted something on the other forum that really supports my theory of Mafia involvement. I have always heard that the kids were taken as a vendetta against Jenny's father. Maybe I'm not so off on the Mafia idea?

I saw that post by lablover. They are trying to register here to post but are having problems for some reason getting registered.

I had the same problem. They told me I didn't meet the requirements, I couldn't get an e-mail thru... I finally found an e-mail address of one of the administrators of the sight and she got me taken care of very quickly. Must be a glitch somewhere!!

Don't think it's there any longer, but I've heard plenty about it. Heard about a young Tech student who spent all grandma's money there on things she "had to have." Heard of Vinnie's too. What about that one?

shadowangel said:
My only problem with this...The whole took a lot of planning, and the mob has never been known for sublety, why didn't the kids die in the house?
This case makes my head hurt...

I checked into the Capriani name in connection with the mob, both her and in Italy/Sicily, not much...Anyone looked into George's real name for a conection?
The family name is CIPriani, not CAP (pronounced sip). I was making the same mistake until a friend of mine corrected me.

i see ms horn is a book writer from new york . could this be for an upcoming book . hmmm :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:

on the trail said:
i see ms horn is a book writer from new york . could this be for an upcoming book . hmmm :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:
Hey, she's been upfront from the beginning as to her interest and intentions in the case.

shadowangel said:
Hey, she's been upfront from the beginning as to her interest and intentions in the case.

She handled it very respectfully and openly. Personally, on any cold case- I don't even really care if they post, or if they tell us. I still hope they write the book. By writing about an unsolved case, they keep it in peoples minds. They keep people talking about it. And thinking about it.
If the perp is aware- they will resent it being out in the public, because it means that it isn't forgotten, and as long as it isn't forgotten then it has a chance at being solved.
If there was a witness or if the perp told someone then it acts as a needle to them, keeping it in their mind, not allowing them to forget. Maybe even someday they will come forward to tell what they know.
But most of all, a forgotten case is a dead case. If it gets taken out and dusted off and looked at every now and then, there is still a chance it may be solved one day.

shadowangel said:
I knew that. I knew that! I did! Really! :rolleyes:
Yeah, right, it's a full-time job keepin' you straight on here!

Everybody following the Cipriani stuff on the other forum? Seemed like a creepy family!!

mysteriew said:
She handled it very respectfully and openly. Personally, on any cold case- I don't even really care if they post, or if they tell us. I still hope they write the book. By writing about an unsolved case, they keep it in peoples minds. They keep people talking about it. And thinking about it.
If the perp is aware- they will resent it being out in the public, because it means that it isn't forgotten, and as long as it isn't forgotten then it has a chance at being solved.
If there was a witness or if the perp told someone then it acts as a needle to them, keeping it in their mind, not allowing them to forget. Maybe even someday they will come forward to tell what they know.
But most of all, a forgotten case is a dead case. If it gets taken out and dusted off and looked at every now and then, there is still a chance it may be solved one day.
I think I'm in love.....:angel:

I'm actually doing a piece for National Public Radio, not a book. It will air on a show called All Things Considered. When I know the date, I will of course tell everyone! I know it will be Christmas week, though.

I always feel extremely uncomfortable contacting families who have experienced something awful. I went through this with my last book. "Hi. I'd like to talk to you about your murdered daughter." I mean, it was insane. I made myself ill worrying that I was going to add to their pain. When I sent the families copies of the book I begged them not to read it. I basically wrote, "You know what happened. Do you need to read it?" That said, I wrote everything knowing there was a possiblity that they would. I tried to pay tribute to the person they lost. I also specifically put in information that I found that I hoped would provide comfort. For instance, there have been a lot of studies that seem to confirm that in violent, unexpected death, there is no pain. From my book:

Dr. Sherwin B. Nuland offers some reassurance in his book, “How We Die.” There’s a lot of evidence, Nuland found, to indicate that there’s an absence of pain and fear in the face of even the most horrifying deaths. In his chapter about murder, Nuland recounts the story of a nine-year-old girl named Katie who was stabbed to death across the street while her mother watched. What haunts John Diefenbach is echoed in the words of that mother. “Later, I went through months and months of asking myself, How much pain did she feel? I needed to know that... I had to know what she went through, what she felt ...”

Nuland cites example after example of “serenity and languorous comfort in the face of what would seem to be frightful and agonizing wounds.” He includes accounts from people who survived terrifying accidents only to say that at the worst possible moment there was no pain, no fear. Nuland writes, “It is not farfetched to believe that the human body itself knows how to make these morphinelike substances [endorphins] and knows how to time their release to correspond with the instant of need ... I am convinced that nature stepped in, as it so often does, and provided exactly the right spoonful of medicine to give a measure of tranquility to a dying child.”

Dr. Robert Shaler, who just left the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in New York, has been studying this same thing for I believe ten years. His findings are the same.

Oh man, I've gone on too long. It's a long way of saying I've talked to Sylvia, and she wants to do this piece. She doesn't want the story to die. She said she promised her parents that she wouldn't let the story die. I hope I do a good job, but I don't see how it can't be painful for the Sodder family. I feel the same way about her and the rest of the family listening to the piece as I do about the other families reading my book. I really hope they don't listen.

Stacy, my brother was killed in an auto accident at the age of 20. Besides the grief, I remember two very big questions that kept hitting me every time I closed my eyes. How? Why?
I read everything I could about the accident. The accident report, the death certificate, the coroner's report, everything. It did not make the pain worse. And it didn't really answer my question, because what I really wanted to know the answer to was why him?
But it didn't cause additional pain, even though I visulized the whole accident. At the time I didn't think there could be more pain. Now I know there can be.
But my point is that I went through all of those questions, and I knew the result, the final ending.
I cannot imagine not knowing. The grief would be there, yet there would also be the questions in your mind. They have so many more questions, in addition to the same questions I wanted the answers to. If I was the family- I would want to read also.
And if some don't want to read, they will always have the reassurance that it is there waiting on them, when they are ready. Since this is a radio program, maybe give them a copy of the transcript or a copy of the tape of the show. That is what you can do for them.

Stacy-

I think I speak for most all of us in that we are 100% in support of what you do and, more importantly, why. All of us who concern ourselves in the pain, loss, and grief of others ask ourselves the same questions. Are we doing the right thing? Do we have a right to involve ourselves? When I am researching a case, I catch myself getting caught up in the chase, until I see a photo of a bright-eyed, intelligent human being who will never know so many of the pleasures and disappointments that life would have had to offer them if not for the actions of a person with no concern for others...I can't count the times I've been deep into a case, only to step away and go hug my kids for no reason other than how lucky I feel that they are here and safe. There are so many, many families that have had that taken away.

The stories of these people must never be forgotten. Until we all wake to what can happen out there, mysteries like what really happened to the Sodder children will continue. What you do, what we do, is so important.
Not one for cliches, but keep up the good work.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

shadowangel said:
Stacy-

I think I speak for most all of us in that we are 100% in support of what you do and, more importantly, why. All of us who concern ourselves in the pain, loss, and grief of others ask ourselves the same questions. Are we doing the right thing? Do we have a right to involve ourselves? When I am researching a case, I catch myself getting caught up in the chase, until I see a photo of a bright-eyed, intelligent human being who will never know so many of the pleasures and disappointments that life would have had to offer them if not for the actions of a person with no concern for others...I can't count the times I've been deep into a case, only to step away and go hug my kids for no reason other than how lucky I feel that they are here and safe. There are so many, many families that have had that taken away.

The stories of these people must never be forgotten. Until we all wake to what can happen out there, mysteries like what really happened to the Sodder children will continue. What you do, what we do, is so important.
Not one for cliches, but keep up the good work.

now that i was spanked by the good detectives , for a statement against ms horn, which by the way was more of a :laugh: . so lighten up :snooty: :clap: :clap: :razz: :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024