WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry! I honestly wasn't accusing anyone and I'm not trying to censor anyone. I'm probably just projecting, but I thought some people wouldn't mind a reminder that the family is reading every word. I personally word things differently, depending on who my audience is. No one else has to!

Stacy Horn said:
I'm sorry! I honestly wasn't accusing anyone and I'm not trying to censor anyone. I'm probably just projecting, but I thought some people wouldn't mind a reminder that the family is reading every word. I personally word things differently, depending on who my audience is. No one else has to!
I already said I'm being a grump today! :angel: :blowkiss:

If I have posted or happen to post something in the future that steps on a family member's toes or someone else involved in the story, I apologize now. However, if I didn't care about a family losing 5 kids and the tragedy of the whole event, I wouldn't be spending my time looking at it and posting. I'm sure George and Jenny had to uncover a lot of pain to continue searching for their missing children all those years ago. If the family is uncomfortable with our brainstorming and discussions here, let us know. I will completely honor their wishes and not post anymore.

I have posted things about possible Mafia involvement. Do I think that George and Jenny were mobsters? No, I don't. I think that they were hard-working people raising 10 kids (who were said to be very well-behaved) and something terrible happened to them. They didn't deserve it. I still do believe that somewhere in the family (or a friend) was a link to something bad (who's family doesn't have a bad apple or 2?).

I have deep respect for George, Jenny and the siblings. For me personally, regardless of who was involved, my drive in this is to determine if the "kids" are out there somewhere. If we had proof they were murdered, it would be an unsolved murder, and that's sad but probably not solveable. I just have a gut feeling that some of them are alive and may not know who they really are. Once again, I would never post something with the intent to hurt anyone's feelings.

LButler said:
If I have posted or happen to post something in the future that steps on a family member's toes or someone else involved in the story, I apologize now. However, if I didn't care about a family losing 5 kids and the tragedy of the whole event, I wouldn't be spending my time looking at it and posting. I'm sure George and Jenny had to uncover a lot of pain to continue searching for their missing children all those years ago. If the family is uncomfortable with our brainstorming and discussions here, let us know. I will completely honor their wishes and not post anymore.

I have posted things about possible Mafia involvement. Do I think that George and Jenny were mobsters? No, I don't. I think that they were hard-working people raising 10 kids (who were said to be very well-behaved) and something terrible happened to them. They didn't deserve it. I still do believe that somewhere in the family (or a friend) was a link to something bad (who's family doesn't have a bad apple or 2?).

I have deep respect for George, Jenny and the siblings. For me personally, regardless of who was involved, my drive in this is to determine if the "kids" are out there somewhere. If we had proof they were murdered, it would be an unsolved murder, and that's sad but probably not solveable. I just have a gut feeling that some of them are alive and may not know who they really are. Once again, I would never post something with the intent to hurt anyone's feelings.
I have posted things that I know must be upsetting to any family members reading these posts, and I apologize if their feelings are hurt. I hope they realize that there is a lot of speculation on this message board, especially when there is a cold case such as this one, where there aren't a lot of hard facts to go on.

Having said that, I will still post my thoughts on this matter, even though they are upsetting to the family. I don't do that to hurt the family, but to add to the discussion about these missing children. The more various ideas are talked about and "kicked around", the more likely it will be that this mystery will be solved. And while I hope these children (now adults) are alive and happy, it would be unrealistic not to consider the possibility that something terrible happened to them the night of the fire.:(

Sometimes everything has to be discussed to get to the truth.

From what I have heard Jennie and George were good-well liked people. What happened to them was tragic. Sadly, I bet before they left this world, they were still praying for answers. I think, if they knew, they would be pretty happy that someone still cares and wants to find out. They could get no answers while they were living.

I do not think anyone on this board has any interest in this case other than to see it solved. I would never say anything to offend the sister. I am glad she is interested and wants the case solved.

Everyone's ideas are important - someone may hit the nail on the head. In honor of the Sodders, I say lets still post and look for answers.

i have thought about this alot. how would i react if something like this had happened to my family. i don't know how to answer that. would i wonder why the interst . i don't know what i would say. if i have said something to hurt the familys feelings i am sorry, if you feel that we are being nosy let us know . i would just hope that at some point you just would finally get some type of closure once and for all. the not knowing part is what would get me the most.

Hey guys, what has happened to everybody? Was there a joint decision to stop talking about this case and nobody told me or what? I read all of the above posts and the concerns that were in there but I didn't think everyone was going to just stop. I think that it is great that some of the Sodder family has found us here at WS's. If I were in their shoes, I think that I would appreciate that after 60 years there is still interest. Enough of that, back to sleuthing.

What about age progression? Does anyone have a contact who might be able to help out with that? I think that Louis would be the best one for that. I would love for someone to look at the photo that was sent to Mrs. Sodder and get an opinion on whether they think it was indeed Louis and then progress it on to age 70 which is what Louis would be today. I think the next best candidate would be Betty, who was 6 yoa the night of the fire. I would love to know how much if at all Marian & Sylvia looked like each other. Does Betty look like them? I think if we could get age progression pictures done we would be a step closer to finding them.

Shadow205 said:
Hey guys, what has happened to everybody? Was there a joint decision to stop talking about this case and nobody told me or what? I read all of the above posts and the concerns that were in there but I didn't think everyone was going to just stop. I think that it is great that some of the Sodder family has found us here at WS's. If I were in their shoes, I think that I would appreciate that after 60 years there is still interest. Enough of that, back to sleuthing.

What about age progression? Does anyone have a contact who might be able to help out with that? I think that Louis would be the best one for that. I would love for someone to look at the photo that was sent to Mrs. Sodder and get an opinion on whether they think it was indeed Louis and then progress it on to age 70 which is what Louis would be today. I think the next best candidate would be Betty, who was 6 yoa the night of the fire. I would love to know how much if at all Marian & Sylvia looked like each other. Does Betty look like them? I think if we could get age progression pictures done we would be a step closer to finding them.
I have no idea how to get age progression pictures done. I see them sometimes in Doe Network files, but don't know whether Doe Network does them, or if they are provided to Doe Network by someone else.

As to the question of why no one has been posting - I can only speak for myself, obviously, but I haven't posted anything because most of our fellow sleuths look at this from a different perspective than I do, so I'm sitting back and taking it all in. Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind!

I certainly don't think that anyone has abandoned this thread...Everyone should keep in mind that a lot of us have been discussing the Sodders on this thread for seven or eight months! Unfortunately, there comes a point where the serious speculation runs out....We have gone at this from just about every imaginable (and plausible) aspect.

If anyone has a new dimension that we can explore, please feel free to post!!

I have not abandoned it either Shadowangel. I check in several times a day to see if anything new has been added. I think that we have rehashed the past events about all that we can unless some new information comes out. I would still like to see something done with age progression on the missing.Someone posted a link over on the other forum to a website for age progression. I might check that out.

I go back to a question I asked sometime ago...Is the original billboard still in existence? Maybe stored in a barn or something? I know in the mid-'70s it was still in very good shape (maybe someone was touching it up?)

The thing was a tourist attraction in and of itself, I can't see it just being bulldozed over or burned as scrap...

I have no idea what happened to the billboard after it was taken down. I know the property where it stood was sold. Perhaps Stacy knows.

I still lurk here. I wish I had something to add though. I think it's interesting that so many of us have ties to this area. I think I'll ask my mom if she remembers anything about this. She was from this area, and my grandparents lived in Montgomery and Smithers, and those areas all their lives.

Hi Gardenmom. I bet that your Mom has heard of the Sodder case then. Maybe she remembers hearing something that we have not come accross yet. Please post anything that she remembers.

Shadow205 said:
Hi Gardenmom. I bet that your Mom has heard of the Sodder case then. Maybe she remembers hearing something that we have not come accross yet. Please post anything that she remembers.
It would be interesting to hear first-hand any rumors that were circulating then...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member