WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
docwho3 said:
I too am watching this thread. I have not posted lately because I do not yet have anything to contribute but I have not forgotten.
The same goes for me. I watch the posts, but don't have anything to contribute.

Regarding the billboard, I agree that it probably has been kept somewhere. Maybe some of you who have lived in the area for a while might remember the name of the company that put up billboards there. Where I live, there is a billboard company that I pass every day going to work. It's a tall building, and when the doors are open you can see all sorts of billboards inside. There are also what appear to be old billboards outside in a fenced area. So perhaps there is a similar place in business that would have the Sodders' billboard.

This billboard was constructed and maintained by the family. It stood on their property near the actual site of the house. If anyone did preserve it, I would assume it was a group from town. The local historical society might know. Unless someone already has a contact there, I will try to see what I can dig up.

Hi all. I just started reading this thread today, so I may not have read everything as thoroughly as I should. But, I was wondering if anyone could place any significance on the "code" on the back of the photo. More specifically, the 090132. It sounds more like a date, and since it didn't seem to match up with the birthdates of the missing kids, would there be any other meaning to it?

:doh:
bugaboo said:
Hi all. I just started reading this thread today, so I may not have read everything as thoroughly as I should. But, I was wondering if anyone could place any significance on the "code" on the back of the photo. More specifically, the 090132. It sounds more like a date, and since it didn't seem to match up with the birthdates of the missing kids, would there be any other meaning to it?
You know that sounds very interesting - Louis's middle initial is A. The code actually said 090132 or 090135. Louis was born December 20, 1935. Could it be he did not know the his actual birthdate? Also the Sodders moved to Fayetteville in 1935.

Where are you LButler. What's your thoughts?

Thanks for the "missing you" thoughts. I've been checking in, but just like many of you, I haven't had any new ideas. But, this.....

Ok, as Fox posted, the Sodders moved to Fayetteville in 1935. To be exact, the date of the deed for their property was October 9, 1935. I've always felt with my "mafia idea" that this event came from the Cipriani side of the family. After reading the info on Jenny's family from the other forum, I'm more convinced than ever.

I think Jenny chose to get away from that life. She married, started a family and moved away to Fayetteville (no, it's not miles and miles away, but in that day and age, it would have been enough to break close contact with her family). Unlike Mary who chose to open a restaurant and possibly carry on with the tradition of a "family business."

Anyway, could this 090132 or 35 on the back of the picture been referring back to September 1, 1935 when something significant happened. Perhaps the "event" that led to the backlash of having her house burnt and 5 kids stolen. This would have been about a month prior to them buying the property in Fayetteville and moving to Smithers.

I've been trying without success to find the date that Jenny's dad passed away. As you will recall, the Unsolved book mentioned that a comment was made by a fellow Italian about Jenny refusing to sign the papers to settle her father's estate. I'm so glad the "date" idea got posted, I just hadn't seen that about the number.

I've been in contact with another gentleman via e-mail (he can't get registered to post either) who pointed out something that I think is very important. Why would anyone make a phone call to a house that they were planning to steal 5 kids from and set fire to? Why would you want to wake them up? His suggestion is that the phone call may have been to alert someone within the house that it was "time to go."

LButler said:
I've been in contact with another gentleman via e-mail (he can't get registered to post either) who pointed out something that I think is very important. Why would anyone make a phone call to a house that they were planning to steal 5 kids from and set fire to? Why would you want to wake them up? His suggestion is that the phone call may have been to alert someone within the house that it was "time to go."
That's an interesting theory.

My thought is that someone knew what was going to happen at the house that night but was afraid to say anything. Maybe a wife overheard her husband talking to others about it. In any event, this person placed the call in an effort to wake up the Sodders so they could all get out unharmed.

I won't address the "kidnapped" issue, as my views on that have already been posted.

Hello, Everybody. I posted a thread a few months ago and am just now getting back to it. (Been busy starting a new school year - I'm a teacher.) WOW! Has this thread been busy! I'm glad to be back. I have spent a good part of this evening catching up. I'm happy that my mention of the book Unsolved Murders in West Virginia has helped. I've read both books and have been fascinated with the cases covered in them. (Funny how so many of the cases take place in Fayette County....) But the Sodder case, by far, is the one I find most fascinating. Please, everyone, continue this discussion. I am really pleased that Stacy is doing a radio show about it. I can't wait to listen. I just need to know when and where can I pick it up. By the way, Shadowangel, I always like hearing from a fellow alumni.

Amateursleuth said:
Hello, Everybody. I posted a thread a few months ago and am just now getting back to it. (Been busy starting a new school year - I'm a teacher.) WOW! Has this thread been busy! I'm glad to be back. I have spent a good part of this evening catching up. I'm happy that my mention of the book Unsolved Murders in West Virginia has helped. I've read both books and have been fascinated with the cases covered in them. (Funny how so many of the cases take place in Fayette County....) But the Sodder case, by far, is the one I find most fascinating. Please, everyone, continue this discussion. I am really pleased that Stacy is doing a radio show about it. I can't wait to listen. I just need to know when and where can I pick it up. By the way, Shadowangel, I always like hearing from a fellow alumni.
Amateursleuth,
Welcome back. I just noticed you are in Kopperston. I was born in Oceana, is that where you teach? I bought 2 of the books written by the Brags. Very interesting reading. I had never heard of some of the cases.

Shadow205 said:
Amateursleuth,
Welcome back. I just noticed you are in Kopperston. I was born in Oceana, is that where you teach? I bought 2 of the books written by the Brags. Very interesting reading. I had never heard of some of the cases.
Shadowangel,
My, it's a small world. Yes, I teach at Westside. I bet we know each other....
I'm also interested in the Cathy Carroll case. It seems that that case is close to being settled. Have you been following it? I remember when it happened. It wasn't long after I graduated from Tech, and I remembered driving through Montgomery Heights every week-end. Even at that time people were saying that her soon-to-be ex did it. It gave me the creeps that he walked around all that time a free man. (I sent this case in to Cold Case Files on A&E.)

Amateursleuth said:
Shadowangel,
My, it's a small world. Yes, I teach at Westside. I bet we know each other....
I'm also interested in the Cathy Carroll case. It seems that that case is close to being settled. Have you been following it? I remember when it happened. It wasn't long after I graduated from Tech, and I remembered driving through Montgomery Heights every week-end. Even at that time people were saying that her soon-to-be ex did it. It gave me the creeps that he walked around all that time a free man. (I sent this case in to Cold Case Files on A&E.)
That original quote was by Shadow205 (not me). I don't want her getting upset at me!!!
We're both originally from WV, and both devilishly charming and attractive, so I can understand the confusion. :angel: (I did attend WV Tech from 84-86, though).

Sorry, Shadowangel and Shadow205. I need to pay more attention. I remembered Shadowangel saying that he went to Tech also. So, when I saw the post (plus the Shadow part), I immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion. Oops! Shadow205, do you get to go home much?

Amateursleuth said:
Sorry, Shadowangel and Shadow205. I need to pay more attention. I remembered Shadowangel saying that he went to Tech also. So, when I saw the post (plus the Shadow part), I immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion. Oops! Shadow205, do you get to go home much?
No problem at all. Its just that if Shadow205 smacks me in the back of the head one more time :)slap: ) I'm gonna have a permanent concusion!!!!!

Amateursleuth said:
Sorry, Shadowangel and Shadow205. I need to pay more attention. I remembered Shadowangel saying that he went to Tech also. So, when I saw the post (plus the Shadow part), I immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion. Oops! Shadow205, do you get to go home much?[/QUOTE]

Usually about once a month.

I had a thought and wanted some input...What do you guys think about looking into some type of memorial or plaque to be placed at the site of the billboard? This would take some work, including the assistance of the present landowner or maybe the town. I just think there needs to be something there to remind everyone of the five children who vanished that Christmas Eve 60 years ago...I'm sure there are people there now who no little or nothing about the children.

I'm not talking anything extravagant (thought a small roadside park with boards detailing what is known, and pictures of the kids, etc would be great) but even a small granite monument with an engraved plaque with the children's names and a short synopsis of what happened, just so the kids are never forgotten...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416